• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 22, 2024, 10:23 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Tauler the Hunter

Started by tomcat, Nov 16, 2016, 05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Nov 16, 2016, 05:05 PM Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016, 10:04 AM by tomcat
The Company moved from the woods and out into the clearing where the Millfort stood, overgrown in vines and scrub. The horses and ponies were left behind, so as not to tempt the giant spider with food - or to have the animals flee in panic.

Arbogast shouted out to the thing, while Grimbeorn strode before all.

It stirred...slowly. The legs flexed and made slight adjustments around the tower and the head rose slightly.

"Hissssleeeep...." the company heard, while some even understood more. Both Arbogast and Esgalwen heard real words within the hiss, "MY SLEEP!"

The great chelicera, upon which hung fangs the length of a man's forearm, moved up and down to allow for words to be spoken. It was quite unnerving to see and each member of the Company felt a seed of fear grow within their hearts.

:ooc: Okay - this is going to be a standard encounter. The results of which will be to convince the spider to leave, or potentially upset it into a hateful rage causing a melee, should the encounter go ill.

Here are the rules of the encounter:
• Insight test for each companion to gain bonus success dice; TN 16 for any with Mirkwood Lore or Shadow Lore (spiders), TN 18 for any other.
• Introduction tests are Awe, Courtesy and Riddle - one is a TN 16, the others are TN 18 (PC's may attempt a Lore test TN 14 to get a hint as to which skill is most appropriate, and thus easiest TN)
• Interaction tests are Insight, Persuade, and Riddle - each is at a TN 14
• Tolerance rating for this encounter is: 4 (valour) - 1 (prejudice) = 3

I need to know if you guys will have ONE character represent you all and thus do ALL tests, or will more characters be involved? If the former, the only thing the other PC's may do is provide bonus success dice. If the latter, each PC that wants to talk MUST make a test.

All failed tests will add up against the Tolerance and if it reaches 3, Tauler will attack.

All successes will add up and have the following effects:
1-2 Successes - Tauler will only leave but she will take her food stash (Bofri) with her
3-6 Successes - Tauler will leave if the PC's can give her any gems to devour
7+ Successes - Tauler will leave with no demands

(each test success above = 1; Great success = 2; Extraordinary success = 3)

I am only going to do the Insight roll for the bonus Success dice, all other tests I will leave for you guys. If you guys give us actual RP'ing with your tests, that will enhance the story. If your PC has no intention of being part of the encounter and will stand to the side, just post once with that decision.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Insight Test for bonus success dice:
TN 16 (18) Insight by PC
:00: Arbogast 2d v TN 16 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8

:00: Bandy 3d v TN 18 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 4, 1, total 9

:00: Esgalwen 1d v TN 18 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

:00: Grimbeorn 3d v TN 16 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 1, total 7

:00: Rorin 3d v TN 18 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 6, total 16

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Nov 16, 2016, 05:14 PM #2 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2016, 08:21 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Results:
• Arbogast has 2 bonus success dice
• Bandy has 1 bonus success die
• Rorin has 3 bonus success dice

All PC sheets :csu: for their successful rolls (Bandy did not get an AP due to not achieving a high enough success to check the next box)

Esgalwen will NOT be participating in this encounter and will remain silent.

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'm happy to do the talking on my own - Arbogast is a fairly well-rounded conversationalist, and he seems to understand it better.  

I am equally happy to have help!  Bandy?

Rolling to see whether he has a clue about the proper strategy:
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Paul, you can pick whichever intro skill you'd like but you just won't know the TN

Eclecticon

Arbogast considers the matter for a few seconds.  It is best, he decides, if a creature such as this were to know as little as possible of him, for its reach in the forest might easily extend as far as the Black Tarn. 

"Greetings to you.  I am the brand-bearer, the helm-thrower and the empty-bellied." 

:ooc: Using Riddle, obviously. 

:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 1, total 3

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Aaaargh!  I'm going to spend my success dice:

:00: 2d6 : 3, 5, total 8

Character sheet

disench4nted

:ooc:

Rorin will participate, but I'll let the current dialogue go through first.

Telcontar

:ooc: Bandy, for once, isnt going to say anything. He leaves this to Arbogast to handle. I'll push my two
Dice to him.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Remember, Steve, you have to make an introductionary roll, too, to participate.

Just an FYI.

I will update the game when I get to the office.

Telcontar

:ooc: we are gonna have to fight this thing at some point.....just sayin.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Grimbeorn will hold off speaking as well for the time being but will potentially interject.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Nov 17, 2016, 08:54 AM #13 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016, 08:56 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Okay, we have one success towards the goal with Arbogast's successful Riddle. He did use both of his success dice.

Matt, to reply to your comment - that is the point of the encounter rules. You can either make an initial introduction roll as stated above to participate, or your PC has to opt out and only be able to offer bonus success dice (which Grimbeorn did not earn). This is the same for Rorin, as I said above - so only Arbogast is allowed to speak (and test) in this encounter so far.

Understand, only those with Permanent Shadow points can understand the spider's talk - others will only hear hisses and single broken words.

The spider's many eyes did not move - they were just black orbs atop the monster's head. Still, Arbogast felt an oppressive will focus on and envelope him. It made the Fire-watcher slightly tremble and the fear that was created made his stomach queasy.

Again the hairy chelicera moved, causing drips of venom to fall from the fangs. The sounds that were made seemed to be words, almost nondescript, but yet Arbogast could discern them, "Brand-bearerrrr...emmmmpteeee belly! You approach deathhhhh...but I have feassssted. Whaaaaat do youuuu waaaant? I huuuunnnggooooor once mooooore...."

The spider could sense the warmth of the bodies before it. Tauler could feel the trembles of their hearts and knew that sweet blood filled them all. Too bad he had just eaten, or they would make wonderful treats! It's eyes, unblinking bore in on all of them and the spider's primal need to kill and eat began to fill its desires.

Telcontar

:ooc: as stated I'' passing my two dice to Arbogast.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear