• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 12:53 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

OOC THREAD

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2015, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

May 29, 2016, 07:42 PM #315 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:55 PM by Eclecticon
Quote from: tomcat on May 29, 2016, 06:27 PM:ooc: Hey all!

First, let me say that you guys truly rock! I love reading our story as much as I do contributing to it!

Second, Ayrn is back and he is going to be entering the game with a new PC. Esgalwen will remain my GM character, which is actually good because it gives me an avenue to feed the party ideas if we ever get stuck. Besides, I really like the Dúnadan Ranger!  :)

Ooh, a new person (by which I mean a new character)!  Welcome back, Aryn.  What manner of sucker hero are you thinking of playing? 

EDIT: Out of interest, Doug, does this mean we'll be seeing a bit less of Esgalwen?  She will probably have a fair bit to do as the official emissary of Gondor to the Men of the North. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

It is not my intent to remove her from the story, or reduce her participation. That said, she will not overplay you guys.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Bedtime, Doug.  It's a school night.   ;)

Character sheet

Posterboy

Hey! Thanks for the welcome!

I have a few ideas rolling over in my mind:

1) A Woodmen Scout, possibly a member of Caewin's entourage.
2) A Barding Warrior of noble birth, potentially a friend of either Grimbeorn (adventured together prior to this fellowship) or Rorin (he was apprenticed under the dwarf), who is being sent by Bard (a little late to the party) to build alliances and trade partnerships with Dale.
3) A Shieldmaiden of Rohan, a granddaughter of Fengel, who is presently residing with her Uncle Thengel in Gondor. She is a friend Esgalwen, and with little hope of finding a suitor and little desire to return to the Mark, she has gone out in search of her friend.
4) A Woodmen Healer, a fair woman, believed to have the blood of the river maidens flowing through her... someone to vex Grimbeorn. ;)

Any of them stand out to you guys?
Peace,
Ayrn

Telcontar

I think Grimbeorn is our only tank character in the party so I would say another warrior would fit in or a supporting character that could help is heal up. One or the other from a mechanical viewpoint I think is what we need.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Don't forget Rorin - he can dish out the hurt and (with his heavy mail) is very hard to seriously injure.  Esgalwen probably as dangerous in a stand-up fight as Grimbeorn, Bandy is a capable bowman and Arbogast would be no slouch if I could get the fucking dice to cooperate!  We're actually not doing badly for warrior-types. 

If anyone was actually asking my advice, I'd base the choice on thematic considerations rather than mechanical ones ('cause I'm a big literary wanker like that).  Another Woodman would solidify the focus on that people.  Arbogast is already a decent scout (Explore 3), though someone a bit more stealthy wouldn't be a bad idea.  Interestingly, I've been considering someone very like idea #4 as a protégé for when Arbogast retires (possibly in a Blade Runner sense). 

A Barding noble roving emissary would be interesting, and a nice foil for Esgalwen. 

I would probably stay away from southerners - keep the focus on Wilderland, and Mirkwood in particular.  On that note, another Elf would do that - I had an idea for a distant kinsman of Thranduil who was a great hunter of wolves (without resorting to spoilers, this sets up a cool conflict for later in the campaign).  Obviously it's your character, though, and I'll welcome whoever you send our way. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

I agree with the thematic focus on Wilderland, but I would shy away from an elf. I usually shy away from elvees as PCs in Middle-earth anyway as i find they do weird things to the narrative.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Me, I actually like an Elf. Edrahil in our Chronicles game was always awesome to play due to his longevity and memory of many things. The magic that he weld in the CODA game, too, was fun to use and it didn't break the Tolkien world.

But, you guys help Ayrn with the decision - it's your party.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

disench4nted

May 31, 2016, 09:20 AM #323 Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:38 AM by disench4nted
I like the idea of a Barding or a Rohirrim, mostly because they open up new places/people that we have a connection with moving forward. But honestly, all the characters you mentioned sound good to me.

Mechanically speaking I think a healer would be a great addition, but I agree that the decision should be made thematically instead.

Telcontar

Doug,
I domt disagree and for all those reasons I like seeing Elves as NPCs.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Yea - as NPC's they are a good fill. But, in the right player's hands, an Elf can be cool, too.

I would feed via PM all the Elf-knowledge that would be allowed.

Good point, though, Tom!

GandalfOfBorg

Lol #3 or #4 could vex Grimbeorn...  What about someone out of the East like Dorwinion?  S/he could offer a different perspective and possibly insight into other lands connected to but necessarily bear the West.  As for type of character a healer would be useful but also someone who could be maybe a more confident front man, "face" as it were.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Posterboy

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I sometimes have so many character ideas swimming in my head, it's hard to settle on one.

Looking for another bit of advice with regards to "building" a healer-type character... I'm not exactly sure how to best do that. A number of the cultures seem to have a background that favours healing, but not a lot of virtues that really boost the ability. Woodsmen has a few (Staunching Song, I'm looking at you!)... anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Ayrn

ooh... "Preventative Medicine" might also be just as helpful, I suppose... like the Beorning's Twice-Baked Honey Cakes virtue (+1 to fellowship pool, reduce travel fatigue checks by WIS score for party members)

Eclecticon

May 31, 2016, 07:16 PM #328 Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:21 PM by Eclecticon
Bear in mind that healing is intentionally hard to do in TOR, and mainly applies to Wounded characters.  That said, having somebody with the Herbal Remedies: Poison Remedies virtue could be very useful when the spiders get scuttling.  I could buy it for Arbogast, but it involves the Craft skill, which he doesn't have very much of, and which is kind of a distraction from other skills that I want to buy up.  That, and a decent Song skill to make the Staunching Song work, would complement Woodmen's base Healing 3 pretty well. 

You need to be aware, though, that both virtues cost Hope to use (on other people, in the case of the Staunching Song), so they need to be saved for when you really need them. 

EDIT: The Leechcraft and Herb Lore specialities would also be very useful.

Character sheet

tomcat

Game update tomorrow. Last few nights have been busy with belt testing in Taekwondo.