• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 10:04 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Distraction...

Started by tomcat, Aug 15, 2005, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The afternoon sun sets leaving a dusky sky as Dirnhael, Durgil and Daelhun ghosted the wagon that slowly rolled up the north road. They had lost sight of Fengel and Edrahil soon after they had left the Company, the two riders moving with great stealth to overtake the Easterlings. Dirnhael prayed that they were all right. He had lost Angbor
those many weeks before and he still felt the responsibility for his death... he did not want to lose another of his friends. Friends? Yes, that is what they had become. Good friends and true and very important to him.

They pushed on and the trio began to wonder if they would know when Edrahil would make his distraction. It was getting dark and it could only be assumed that they wain would soon stop for the night. Already, the three Men had lost sight of the moving caravan, they only knew that the road before him was the most obvious path and so continued riding along it.

Suddenly, the dark horizon lit up with a great flash and then it lit up again. The light was followed moments later by a very loud BOOOOOMMMM!!!
That was the signal...

Fengel and Edrahil had ridden in the recesses of the land and behind any foliage or elevations that they could find making a great half-loop north to come around the Enemy to their fore. There was no sign of any movement except for the occasional bird of prey slowly hanging on the winds looking for a small grouse or a rodent that would make an evening meal. The elegant birds espied the world uncaring of the borders of Men and the great events that took place below them. Yet, hanging on those same winds were some eyes that did care. Crebain flocked to the north and east and Edrahil kept a wary eye towards the treacherous creatures.

The two rolled up a hillside and saw that they were just north of the wagon and its entourage. They spurred their horses and continued their path. It would not be long.

Soon, Fengel heard the clop of his horse's hooves upon the gravel of the north road and he reached down and drew forth Cerduil. The wagon would be along very soon and the Éothraim wondered what the Sindar had prepared. As if he had read his thoughts, Edrahil spoke.

"Stay close but be prepared to make a quick escape to the east and south. We will use enough speed to keep our pursuers on our tail but enough distance to not allow them to engage us."

The Elf drew no weapon but Fengel could hear him begin to mumble and then he whispered, "They come!"

:arrow: OOC: Edrahil casts Display of Power TN 10
ACTION 1
Willpower +6, The Art +2
Roll(2d6)+8: 2,3,+8 Total:13 SUCCESS

The wagon approached and the drivers and guards sat slumped in their saddles. They were tired and cold and very frustrated. Their prisoner did not look like he would survive the trip. They had at least three more days until they reached the city of Carn Dûm; still none dared think of what the penalty would have been not to see through their charge.
The lead rider glanced up and saw the dim grey shapes on the road before him. He quickly raised his hand to stop the caravan and all watched as the two shapes approached.

"Who are they?" he thought, only to have the question gruffly asked by one of his fellows. The north road through Angmar was usually a busy route but traffic became sparse in winter - especially this winter with the sickness that had taken hold of so many. They were in the heart of the land of the Witch-king; certainly this could be no threat. Still, there had been no call of greeting or challenge so the lead rider reached down to grab his weapon; it slid out of its scabbard with a cold ring.

"Who are ye?!?" he yelled, but no answer came. The cloaked shapes just continued to approach. The guard thought of the haunted lands to the east and his heart began to pound, but then these two unknown individuals were riding horses. Surely no steed would accommodate one of the accursed walking dead?

The lead shape rode to where he stood just over 15 meters from the wagon caravan and stopped. The second rider took up a position right behind him.
With the darkening sky, the chief Easterling again made his challenge, this time more threateningly. "You'll tell us who you are or we will skewer you and leave you to whatever carrion will take your bones!"

Then suddenly, Edrahil drew back his cloak and the Light of the Eldar seemed to shine within his face as he commanded loudly, "And you shall get thee gone rogue for war has come upon this land and it is you who are no longer safe! We have come to take back he who is our companion and you shall make no attempt to stop us in this!"

With his last words, Edrahil lifted his hand and from it was loosed a massive arc of electricity. The lightning reached out between the Easterlings and struck the wain's forward axle causing a great flare of burnt wood and scorched metal. The accompanying boom caused all of the horses around them to spook and the Easterlings were suddenly either thrown to the ground or were carried off by their panicked steeds. Even Fengel and Edrahil needed to make an effort to calm their mounts as they also began to bolt and buck.

The pair of horses that had drawn the wagon leapt at the massive lightning strike and they bolted forwarded literally ripping the damaged axle from the wagon and they ran off into the oncoming night.

:arrow: OOC: Intimidate (Power) +8, MB +10
ACTION 1
Roll(2d6)+18: 4,5,+18 Total:27

ACTION 2 & 3 casts Ligthning TN 12
Willpower +6, The Art +2, MB +2, Spell active -3, AA -5
Roll(2d6)+2: 6,2,+2 Total:10 (1 Courage) SUCCESS

Easterlings opposed Willpower test TN 27
Willpower +2, Place of Darkness (Angmar) +2
Roll(2d6)+4: 6,6,6,3,+4 Total:25 WOW!!! That is a lucky roll! FAILED but the men are only Panicked (-2 to all tests)

Easterlings Ride Tests TN 15
Ride +6, Panicked -2
Roll(2d6)+4: 4,2,+4 Total:10 FAILED - 3 Riders are thrown to the ground and the other 4 are carried off in all directions, the wagon team yanks the front axle away and bolts leaving just the drivers to sprawl to the ground.

I need Edrahil and Fengel to make a Ride Test TN 15 or be dismounted

Edrahil Ride TN 15
ACTION 4
Ride +12, AA -10
Roll(2d6)+2: 6,4,+2 Total:12 FAILED - Edrahil is thrown to the ground.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:arrow: OOC: I would like to welcome Palandil to our game! He will be taking up the role as Fengel and giving the Eothraim so new life!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat:arrow: OOC: I would like to welcome Palandil to our game! He will be taking up the role as Fengel and giving the Eothraim so new life!

Welcome aboard, Palandil - you're stepping into the shoes of a well-loved character - enjoy!

OOC: The remaining three will make our moves (assuming Durgil and Daelhun agree) once the situation becomes more clear. Let's give the Easterlings a moment to sweat... :twisted:
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:arrow: OOC: Does this mean Shawn that you will at least close the distance between you guys and the wagon?

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat:arrow: OOC: Does this mean Shawn that you will at least close the distance between you guys and the wagon?

OOC: As much as possible without running a significant risk of being seen, yes. (In other words, not so close that we'd have to take a Stealth test - we suck at those! ;)) We'll want Edrahil and Fengel to draw off a few men before we make any move. Since the wagon's broken - they're not going anywhere.

GandalfOfBorg

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

Edit: Hey Palandil, I am making some edits so you can see how I like to have you guys post and to help with any rules...

Fengel Ride TN 15
Ride +6, Specialty +2*, Injured -3
Roll(2d6)+5: 1,6,+5 Total:12 FAILED

* - I have no problem if you include the +2 Specialty in your skill total, so you can post like above or just put Ride +8

:arrow: OOC: Please let me know if I got this right.  Fengel makes an Acrobat test to recover from being thrown. Everything is good except for the couple changes I made above.

Acrobatics TN 5
Acrobatics +2, Specialty +2, Injured -3

Roll(2d6)+1: 3,2,+1 Total:6 SUCCESS

OOC: Thank you all for the kind welcome.  I hope to be a good addition to your great chronicle.

tomcat

Edrahil's horse reared from the explosive sound of his magic and the Elf was thrown to the ground, landing hard. Fengel also had his mount spook but the skilled Eothraim rolled from the back of his horse to land on his feet, a little unbalanced but weapon at the ready.

Before the two, the Easterlings were in disarray. The wagon that had been drawing Camentir north was a wreck with its yolk and fore axle gone and the few remaining guards and drivers lay sprawled on the ground. Edrahil stood up shakily and drew forth his weapon and readied himself for any attacks from the enemy.

The Easterlings, all but one, also began to stand up and Fengel and Edrahil could see now that these men, if some could be called that, were made up of both young and old. The Ashaktur had pieced together a wain guard of his least capable folk and now they stood before the Eldar, some cringing and others trying to make the most effective threatening stance that they could.

Edrahil and Fengel needed to decide a new plan and quick... it did not look like they would be drawing off these men, but then the Easterling's looked like they offered little threat. The Elf looked to his comrade to see if he had any ideas.

Not far away, Dirnhael and his two comrades began to move as soon as they heard the large boom that was most likely Edrahil's work. They paralleled the road in the fading light to approach close enough to see the situation and to see if Edrahil and Fengel had had success. They then would make their move, whatever that might need to be.

As they closed, a horseman came racing down the road, his mount obviously controlling his course, passing the trio with neither notice nor threat.

GandalfOfBorg

This would be a comic site to Durgil if it weren't the possibility of Camentir being further injured or worse.  "I see no reason for continuing this tactic; we can go take Camentir and be off."
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorgThis would be a comic site to Durgil if it weren't the possibility of Camentir being further injured or worse.  "I see no reason for continuing this tactic; we can go take Camentir and be off."

"Be wary of overconfidence," said Dirnhael. "We are in a dark land."
It was obvious that Edrahil had done his job well - they had the element of surprise and their opponents seemed ill-equipped for the role. His friend never ceased to amaze him.
As he saw Edrahil and Fengel fall, however, he knew that the time had come - there would be no more waiting.

Nodding to Durgil and Daelhun, Dirnhael flipped his shield from his back, drew Anduring, and began to sprint across the frozen plain...

tomcat

The confusion of the moment had given Edrahil and Fengel the time to re-compose themselves and both began to move forward, ready for combat but also with hands out to try and calm the Easterlings. Edrahil knew his powers were still heightened by his spell and he spoke to the oldest of the guards, his voice softer and not as threatening.

"All is well, we will harm none of you if you just lay down your arms and leave the wagon and your prisoner behind and make no attempt to return here or follow us. Do you understand, and do you agree?"

:arrow: OOC: Edrahil Persuade +7, MB +5
Roll(2d6)+12: 3,5,+12 Total:20

Easterling's Opposed Wisdom Test TN 20
Roll(2d6)+1: 6,5,+1 Total:12 FAILED

The guard stepped back a few paces and held his hands out to his comrades to have them not do anything rash. The Elf was powerful, he could tell and though they outnumbered the two strangers, still the words held wisdom. He was cold, he cared not for the broken man that lay in the wain, and this was not worth an early death... not after the many years he had already spent living.

In his own language, he ordered the others to grab up what they could. At the same moment, Dirnhael and the other two Dunedain rode into the circle of activity and the Easterlings suddenly drew back in defense. But Edrahil stepped between all and again confirmed his promise...

"No one will harm you!" Both groups looked at one another and then the Easterlings began to walk south down the road looking for their mounts and towards some unknown goal.

The tension in the air seemed to dissipate and the Company quickly ran to the back of the wagon. There lay the once proud man that they knew as Camentir. His hair and beard were matted and had straw clinging; his hands and feet were tied and seemed swollen from the bindings. He was bruised in many places and his clothing was a tattered mess.

Dirnhael pulled him carefully to a sitting position and Camentir opened his eyes with a groan. They were still bright and held the same defiant glint that they had when the two had first met. The Captain of the King's Third Host had not been broken of mind, though his body seemed to have been put through the trials.

A slight smile formed in the corner of Camentir's mouth and he whispered, "Dirnhaelll...."

Behind them all, Fengel glanced to Edrahil with a look of great respsect - the Sindar had brought them victory and no harm had come to any of the participants.

Palandil

:arrow: OOC: Hey all.  I just wanted you to know that I am still here.  I was going to post  where Edrahil looked to Fengel but I wasn't sure if what I was going to have him do was true to his character.  So I was still trying to catch up on the chronicle.
Anyway....

Fengel places a hand on Edrahil's shoulder, "You are truely a wise warrior my freind.  I really wasn't up for the only idea I had at the time." He says with a grin.[/quote]

Wiseman

Daelhun nods to his commander and starts to ride about the wain and the nearby area, looking for some high ground to search for enemies from he take his horse to the nearest high area and peers off into the evening.

Spot: Roll(2d6)+8: 3,6,+8 Total:17

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil is overcome with emotion.  Even though it was a lifetime and false name ago, there was the man whom he offered up his life for numerous times at his command and did so once again to rescue him.  Dismounting, he rushes to the elder man's side.  "Camentir!  Lord, it is I, Findor... are you alright?  Are you injured?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Camentir looked up at the youth and he searched his cloudy mind to place the face of the man before him. "I remember an anxious young man that was in my charge. T'would seem that you heeded well your training to have brought you through such perils to come at last here to this cold land. Well met again, lad!"

"We must be moving soon Dirnhael," said Edrahil as he turned to summon his horse. "We must make for at least our campsite from this morn... there I can administer more aid to Camentir. Can you travel Captain?"

"I will manage what I must to put this place behind me!" Camentir flexed as Fengel cut the bindings from both hands and feet. Daelhun brought over a blanket from his horse and wrapped it around the man as he struggled to gain some composure.

"Daelhun, mount and scout the immediate surrounds while we prepare to depart," asked Dirnhael.

Daelhun nodded to his commander and went again to his horse. He mounted, rode about the wain and a ways down the road, looking for some high ground to search for any signs of their enemies. The night sky was darkening but the Dúnadan peered off into the evening.