• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 10:07 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Stillness in the dark

Started by tomcat, Sep 04, 2009, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The two other dwarves began a whispered debate, seemingly unaware that their companion had fallen.

Kori hissed, "Turumarth, increase that light a bit for me."

"See, Uncle," replied Nori, not even waiting for the added illumination. "There is three stairs remaining at the foot - easily seven stairs would fill the gap."

The older craftsman did not answer right away, rubbing his bearded chin as he gazed at the work of his forefathers. "I don't know, Nori... I'd have to take measure."

Impatiently, Nori countered, "It is at least worth a further search, aye?"

:ooc: I know you are running Nori, Tom, so sorry I interjected talk here for the two dwarves, but I wanted to give you guys something to work with.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: No worries, as the two dwarves are the folcrum of the story it makes sense to use them as a narrative device. No complaints from me.

[Gumbo]
Looked around at the bottom of the stairs and tried to judge the distance. "there are bones here. What ever was down here couldnt get out becasue the stars were destroyed, or they died in the fall. there are also carvings in the rock" Gumbo tried to examine some of the bones and the carvings. "this will be an obstacle if we try and withdraw this way and any aid left to depart will be noticed as evidence of our passage. The darkness and evil spirit of these halls conspire against us Captain, but for that reason I'll wager that there were 42 stairs here at one point. Oh and i'm all right."

gumbo looked up at the distance, "I have a wooden stakes and some iron pitons, we can wedge one in one of the cracks and toss a rope over it to raise and lower people. that way we can keep the rope and the piton may go unnoticed."

[Nori]
Looked down at the hobbit, "Full of surprises Master Gumbo." then back to his uncle.  "We should at least explore this option uncle. If we leave it now we may have to double back later and the less passage through the same spots the better off we are. Besides we need to be out of that hall as the Orcs will have missed the patrol by now. we have not the numbers to defend the halls of our fathers, only to restore our family name."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

donimator

Turumarth unhooded his staff and increased the brilliance to reveal the steps below. Squinting at the sudden light, he soon gained comfort in one again seeing familiar faces and recognizing that the horrors he imagined were engraved in the walls were not there and were, in fact, just bare stone.

He stood quietly as the dwarves conversed on the course of action, he the light-bearer, and uneasily looked behind as talk of discovery from the rooms they have passed might pose a threat from behind.

tomcat

It was not a great challenge to overcome the gap in the stairs and soon all the companions were standing at the foot. The new sub-level passage continued north into the darkness. It was absolutely still and quiet - this eased Turumarth's concern of the light emanating from his staff. Still, the darkness of Moria subdued the glow and seemed to want to devour it and return the world below to darkness.

Gumbo took the opportunity to search the area. The stone fragments were now easy to see that they had been a totem - thrown down and broken. It was also apparent that it was the weight of the stone totem, along with its fall down the stairs that had broken the missing steps. Continuing to look, the scattered bones were those of orcs. Amongst the litter lay old ruined weapons, armour, and something shiney caught the hobbits eye.

The light cast down the hallway but shadows quickly returned after some fifteen feet. Still, the companions could tell that the passage forked off in two directions.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

The hobbit walked over to the shiny object, his approach could only be described as a staulk. He approached carefully and looked at it before he reached out to touch it. He also glanced at the passages as he did so. If there were in deed 42 steps there then the directions that the dwarven kin had, had quickly expired. 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Oct 11, 2009, 03:31 PM #35 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2009, 04:07 PM by tomcat
Gumbo came to the small item that caught the light from Turumarth's staff, and the halfling caught his breath. It was a gem - a sapphire to be certain - and it was set in a golden ring of some width. The ornate work showed that its craftsman had been one of great talent, to still have such beauty after so many years. Or did something, or someone, wear the treasure into these tunnels? And die here? For Gumbo could see the finger bone the ring still was wrapped about, although the rest of the hand, arm, and even body was scattered with the rest of the refuse in the hall.

Kori came up behind the hobbit, the other companions shuffling a few feet back. A look crossed the old craftsman face - one of desire and greed - but then it faded. He sighed, "Pray this is not the only treasures that remain in this city."

Nori then sounded out with a whispered cry, "Oy! Look Uncle!"

Where Nori pointed could be seen a sign written in Khuzdul. It had been scraped at and even washed over with foul-looking paint, but still its carved letters stood out. The Dwarven words were etched into the stone walls at the intersection of both passages - a street sign, perhaps? Kori read the old tongue, "It names this passage and the apartments that lay beyond... t'would seem that these two corridors follow on into an estate of some long-lost Dwarf-lord."

Kori sighed heavily, for he knew that the Vaults of Durin would not be located inside the home of some dwarf. "Those were not our stairs."

Behind them, at the top of the stairs, Idhriel quietly sat and listened.

Telcontar

:ooc:GAHHH!!! Hobbits finding rings in the darkis never good! :o

Gumbo reached down and picked up the ring. He examined it in the light of torch to see if there was anything written upon it and turned it over in his hand to feel its weight and get a better look at it.

"Aye, Captain, I doubt this is the way and while i am curious to find out more about the halls beyond this is perhaps not the time or excursion to explore around. Back to the hall then? or could the house of a Lord also be an office of some kind? we are close to the gate, a tax official maybe? One who would need weights and measures? then again if your sires were in charge of the official weights they wouldnt be used for everyday things and would be deeper and more secure than here so near the gate."

Gumbo peered ahead further down the hall to see if there was any indication that further push them one way or the other and then looked back up the stair.

"If this lay here," indicating the ring, "then the orcs do not come this way. this maybe a good spot to hole up and rest after looking ahead a bit further. Or we can proceed back to the hall."

:ooc: About how long has the party been going at this point Tomcat i dont recall?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Funny you ask, Telcontar... I was going to bring up rest is needed. Anyway, it has only been a couple hours thus far inside Moria, and the day outside is at early dusk, but the stress on the company is causing you all to feel weariness. I was about to call for the first series of tests to stave off any effects.

Gumbo had a very good point. Kori was certain that no orc would leave such a treasure just lying about... but why was this are not inhabited? Or was the treasure laid there to ensnare any would-be interlopers? But then, why was the orc tribal totem cast down and shattered?

There was no sounds coming from any hall, but there was a sense of danger... but that had been the feeling since they had entered the ruined city. "Perhaps we should explore this manor and see what kind of defense it would allow," agreed the craftsman. "It would be good to have a base camp. And maybe there are items of old, still undisturbed, that may offer clues to locations within Moria."

Telcontar

Gumbo looked around again and was suddenly reminded of the barrow downs near his own home. "maybe there is a guardian here of your kin captain? Something that after all these years is still at its post and smashed this totem." Gumbo looked at the ring again. "It is good that we have some of Durin's kin with us. Let us camp here then after a closer look around. We need to at least identify the number and direction of routes that come to this stair. Let's move as a group and see what we find."

Gumbo looked around again and had the impression that the ring had something to do with this setting. he looked it over again for a name or identifier and then slipped it back into his pocket.

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Vári gazed at the ring before Gumbo slipped it into his pocket; yet another treasure that the crafty Hobbit had obtained by simply walking the path ahead of the others... a wise decision for a treasure-hunter, he thought.

The young dwarf, in all honesty, cared little for Kori's family history; he wanted wealth, fame and the prestige that had never been his during his days in the army. Helping his kin would merely be a bonus. Nevertheless, this was a Dwarf-delving, and while he appreciated the Hobbit's boldness, cunning and even merry companionship... he did not finish the thought.

He wished no ill for Gumbo, but Vári promised to himself that soon, he would not leave all of Khazud-dum's spoils to the halfling...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: I liked both of your posts Shawn! Welcome back!  ;)

Telcontar

:ooc: what else have i got? I dont remember finding anything else.
Speaking of which, Tomcat do we have a running tally of party treasure? like the stuff we left behind from the troll hoard or should one of us be keeping track of that stuff? 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Oct 15, 2009, 09:58 AM #42 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2009, 10:43 AM by tomcat
:ooc: I never wrote anything down, except what I listed in the posts... so, I will go back and collect those notes and put them in a consolidated list.

[EDIT:] Done.

But don't take any personal offense, Tom. I think it is just great the way the Dwarf is thinking... after all, they truly are a greedy bunch.

Question: Which passage do you guys want to take? The one that goes north, or the one that goes northwest?

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 15, 2009, 09:58 AM

But don't take any personal offense, Tom. I think it is just great the way the Dwarf is thinking... after all, they truly are a greedy bunch.

:ooc: Precisely. It was meant purely as an internal monologue... certainly not as any out-of-game complaint against any character/player. Vari has the Grasping flaw, and he's in Moria, a place told to be full of riches, and his greed gnaws at him sometimes. Sorry if I caused any consternation there, Telcontar. I was just trying to set a mood.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

:ooc: No worries at all man! I knew it was all internal i was just trying to think of what else I may have picked up along the way. I remember the troll cave and telling Vari he could keep somethinng that he was all engrossed in and the treasure dispute in the woods. Gumbo is still a little peeved that the woodman who just showed up out of the blue walked off with the Short Sword he was interested in. But I am playing his blasie attitude off on his fey trait. I think PBeM is the perfect setting to be able to talk about the internal aspects of the character and really establish the traits and flaws. GRASP AWAY! I thought it was well done too and adds to the story. Still glad he is back there with his axe too, fey or not Gumbo is going places!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear