• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 02:56 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Stillness in the dark

Started by tomcat, Sep 04, 2009, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

As quickly as it started, the melee was over. Of the six orc scouts, only three lay on the balcony over Durin's abyss, the others driven off the platform into the unknown depths. Of the companions, only one was visibly hurt - Caranmîr the Elf had taken a grievous wound and the orc poison was coursing his veins, his brow was damp with the fever from the toxins.

Turumarth who had used his magic to light the battle, quickly subdued his staff, not extinguishing the glow, but hooding it so as not to draw the attention of the entire Second Hall. He hoped they had not already, but time would soon tell. Behind him, the old craftsman whispered, "Quickly, shove the remaining dead orcs into the abyss and let us get across the bridge before it is shut to us!"

Another voice quietly answered, "No... I can go no further in this... evil hole." It was Bornoge, the woodsman warrior that had joined up with the party in Mirkwood. "With each step, I am certain that this is a fool's folly and I  will not sacrifice myself for it." He looked to the injured elf, "I will take Caranmîr with me, so that if his death is before him, at least he will be able to go to his home in the clean sunlight, on the soft grass."

"You will not make it past the First Hall... not alone," answered Nori.

"Perhaps so, but I will at least try. If you come again from this place, and if we find a safe path, look for us to the south, towards Lothlorien... I will take this elf there and hopefully his kin will be able to aid him."

The rest of the companions knew that there was no changing the course of the large man, and some wondered how their chances would now fare without the extra arms, but Kori's will brought them all back to their journey, "Very well then. Go and be safe, but if you should alarm the orcs of the First Hall, I pray that you do not sacrifice us all."

The man gave the old dwarf a grim look, "Should we be seen, I will not betray you to any of these vermin. May the Graces guide you."

With that, Bornoge hefted the elf up and proceeded back up the stairs that they had just come down, back towards the First Hall. When they were gone, the remaining companions, faintly aglow from Turumarth's spell, all looked at one another... waiting. Their pause abruptly ended with Nori's voice, "Come."

Leading his companions, Nori took the first hesitant step onto the great span that crossed the abyss and then with built up courage, he quickly moved on. The rest followed.

In the depths of Moria, a great shadow that sat within a corona of flame looked up towards the vast vaulted ceiling above his sinister chamber. It had been a long time since he had felt it, and it had only been the slightest twinge of unpleasantness. Certainly some of the minnions within his realm practiced the sorcerous arts, but none would weave such magic as unclean as what he had just felt.

Was there intruders within his realm? He would have to keep a closer eye, but whomever they might be, they were insignificant enough... certainly the orcs and trolls that resided here would dispatch them.

:ooc: Okay, with the disappearance of players, I have removed certain PC's. We may have another player joining this game, but I have a way to write him in... we'll see.

The map for the Second Hall is posted, on the Moria pages and you guys can give me narrative as to what you are doing and the 'table leader' can post the party's directions.

Just so you know, all Kori knows at this point is that his great great grandsire's chambers were north of the Second Hall towards the mines and that it was 42 stairs down from this level... so, you guys will need to find a passage with 42 stairs down. All the while, of course, avoiding the current residents.

As far as the cut-scene, this stems from the new rule presented in the Paths of the Wise called Gandalf Was Here.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Sep 04, 2009, 10:46 AM #1 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009, 10:49 AM by sdrotar
Vári wished Bornoge and Caranmîr well; he had been more fortunate than the Elf, but it was not skill that had spared him, merely fate. He glanced down at the scrape across his armor and the drops of vile ooze upon it as confirmation.

He sincerely hoped that the two of them made it safely back out and that the Elf could regain his health once more. He had learned that the Fair Folk were heartier than Dwarves often gave them credit for, and so he held to hope.
But their Company was far less capable without them, and Vári feared for what was to come. These Orcs were taken by surprise, but the next time, it might be the other way around...

Brushing aside such thoughts, Vári set his mind to the task at hand. After crossing the ancient bridge (which still stood up thanks to its sturdy Dwarf-make, despite the befoulment of the Orcs), they looked for a way down, knowing that finding the correct path on the first try would be an enormous stroke of luck.

"Are we looking for a residence?" Vári asked. "If so, the living quarters might be closer than farther, as the working mines were said to run deep into the mountain."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

"Nay," said Kori. "We seek first the vaults and then my grandsires office, where word is said that he dropped the keys."

Vári's incredulous stare back spoke volumes of the improbability that a ring of keys would still lay in the same place that they were dropped, those centuries ago when the city was abandoned. It would be amazing if they still existed at all, and not rusted away. For some reason, in the darkness of Moria, the objective of this mission seemed much more impossible than they had in the warm tavern room, with beer flowing.

Kori acknowledged Vári's look, "If we find that the vaults of Durin still remain sealed, I will be happy enough, but to find Tori's office and per chance, his keys... well then the honour of my family will be restored." To that, Nori made both a physical and audible response, breathing deep and standing himself more erect. "And forget not who were the craftsmen of said locks and keys... none other than the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm, greatest of all. Surely the dwimmer-craft that was laid into both will have kept them. So, let us search these passages to the north to find the stairs down."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

As soon as the fight was ended Gumbo began to check the Orc bodies for anythign that might be useful. This was there realm and the equipment they carried may give an indication of what the group might face. Once done he began to heave the bodies over the side. Wipping the sweat from his brow he looked around and caught the last few words of the conversation and listened to their footsteps fading away,
"Hmrph, he could have left the short sword." Gumbo then looked to his Captain Kori, "I am still at your service and your family, the darkness sooner or later claims us all. I will continue." the Hobbit smiled and looked at Nori, "You see, oaths of binding would have proved ill indeed. Lets cross the bridge, here is not a good place to stop."

Gumbo looked across the bridge and began to pad across his spear at the level and his helm once more down.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Nori scowled at the Hobbit, "I begin to think Master Gumbo that you are indeed a dwarf, who's beard was glued to his feet. Come Uncle, hairyfoot is right, we must proceed, even if none but ourselves are left, the shame of our family would truly belong to us, were we to fail in Khazud-dum a second time."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

donimator

As the last flits of comfort from the light disappeared, Turumarth ran visions of Caranmîr's wounds through his mind, wondering if it could be he next. He thought of using his healing magic, but his wounds were already bound and packed with the poultice from the river wives which was more than the equal of any aid he could impart.

He kept the light on the end of his staff active, should they need sudden light again (or it seemed, should he need sudden light again), but tampered it down to but a glowing ember which he concealed with cloth. As a form moved past him, he wasn't sure who, he grasped onto their cloak to cross the bridge thinking all along that they never really did hear the orc's bodies find bottom in the chasm.

tomcat

Sep 16, 2009, 09:44 AM #6 Last Edit: Sep 16, 2009, 09:47 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Okay, it has been over eleven days since I posted last, except to reply to the few gamers whose PC's have been written out of the story. I have offered to change the narrative to keep them in the story, but I haven't heard back from them to let me know, so that is it. Please, do not take this as shitty, but I am trying to keep games flowing and if I only get random postings, it doesn't work. So, I am sticking with the narrative as it stands and moving on... sorry.

I still need a direction that the party wants to go once they cross Durin's Bridge.

The company quickly passed over the span that crossed the black chasm and began to move in the direction suggested by Kori. The old craftsman did not have anymore to offer than a stair count, and so, they would have to search each passage at a time to find the right one. It seemed a monumental task to all in the party save two.

As they quietly moved towards the north wall of the Second Hall, none noticed the slender shadow that followed behind.

Idhriel was an Elf from Lothlórien. In that land, she served the king and queen as a border watch, protecting so that none could enter unwanted, but also serving as the eyes on the lands without. She and her Galadhrim company had seen the passage of the Dwarves, and watched the direction in which they traveled. Her captain was concerned as to why Dwarves would head into the Vale of Moria. What trouble could they be stirring up?

And so, while one Watcher was sent to Caras Galadhon to send word to Celeborn and Galadriel, she had been dispatched to keep a discreet eye on the caravan. Her orders had been to follow the Dwarves only to the Gates of Moria and no further, if that be their path, but fear filled her heart. She knew the horrors that orcs could rend upon the land and so when the company of travelers entered the old ruin, she followed to ascertain that no one would wake the sleeping fear within.

:ooc: Take it from there everyone...

Jingo

A few moments earlier...

Idhriel Kalina, Watcher of the Galadhrim, tilted her head and listened, straining to hear. The slightest sound, the mere whisper of something could save her life. And so she waited patiently in a crouch, balanced on her heels, leaning slightly against one of the walls. She could wait in that position for hours. 

Had someone passed by with a torch at that moment, the flickering fire light would have revealed a beautiful elven face with chestnut colored hair tied behind her head in a single sensible braid. Equally lovely amber-colored eyes would have regarded the intruder with a rather deadly intensity, ascertaining whether he be friend or foe. The intruder would notice--assuming of course, that he actually spotted her--that she was sensibly attired in comfortable muted browns and greens that blended as easily into the outside country side as it did to the obscurity that prevailed in Moria. Perhaps the intruder would wonder what the bulges were under cloak and fold of cloth. Could they be half-hidden pommels of cold steel? Certainly he would spot the fine short bow that she held in her hand along with the a quiver of well-made arrows gracing her back.

But there was no torch. And no intruder as of yet...only darkness. Idhriel's eyes had long since adjusted to that darkness. And there in the First Hall of Durin, she spied the ruins of that long lost kingdom. She had been to the Vale of Moria before as part of her training, but never before had she dared to cross its threshold. Seeing it now, she saw that there was nothing. Nothing but the ruin of cold stone and the ghosts of memories that faded from history into oblivion.

She sighed inwardly and was surprised to find that the wreckage and loneliness saddened her. Something that once was good and noble had been lost, taken forever from Middle Earth. It seemed there was always loss. Time, it seemed, always brought loss and change, even to her kind, albeit in different ways.

Shaking her head, she concentrated on the task at hand. Find this mysterious company of dwarves and others. That was the main thing. Yet, she wondered, why had they come to Moria? And more importantly, could they be stopped from awakening the orcs? Her face tightened into a grimace at the thoughts of orc hordes spilling out into the forested borders, befouling Lorien! No, something must be done to prevent that!

She held her breath. There it was again. Slight sounds came from up ahead and downward. She frowned. It was the sounds of steel on steel coming from the other side of Durin's First Hall. A fight! And then, as quickly as it had begun, it had stopped. She exhaled slowly and her frown tightened as she listened for more sounds. It was not uncommon for orcs to fight amongst themselves, she knew. And so, for several long moments she waited for the orc voices to gloat about who they had killed. But, as the moments passed, hearing no forthcoming boasts in their foul orc speech, she finally--and cautiously--moved toward the purported location of the recent sounds, taking pains to avoid any unpleasant encounters en route.

But she moved quickly as well. She had heard that this place was a warren of passages. It would not do to become lost within these depths. Finding the dwarves quickly was the best way to prevent that.

After some time, she came to the long narrow bridge and saw her quarry crossing the wide expanse.

Finally! Light of step, and a bit lighter of heart, she flitted after them.

[:ooc: - Hooray! I'm excited to be playing! Tomcat, I hope you're alright with me RPing hearing things w/o rolling. Btw, I'm not sure how to do dice rolls etc. you'll need to explain where the dice roller is. Anyway, for now I'll just follow until I can better ascertain their purpose. I'm fine with you rolling stuff for me too if you need to for anything.]

donimator

In spite of the pitch blackness he stumbled forward in, Turumarth could sense the immensity of the cavern they had entered. The meager light he had unleashed before, barely revelaed the edges of the bridge, but as he crossed following those ahead, he could feel the swirling currents of air; could feel the sounds he tried so desperately to minimize travel and die beyond the range of an echo. He worked hard to keep up, but his boots caught on debris and upturned flagstones that the others seemed to skirt around. The wafting air revealed the sweat that soaked his brow and hair and he fought hard to ignore the fear rising in his stomach. Refusing to succumb to the affliction that had caused Bornoge to pale.

He had studied long and hard to temper the fear that gripped him when facing the Shadow and the urge to tap into that power again grew strong. Using the Arts made him more aware, unclouded his judgement and let him act with reason and sense. The words rose to his tongue, but then he checked himself, stumbling once more on an uneven crack. He could manage Fear himself and pressed on into the black void, only able to follow.

Telcontar

[Gumbo]

Gumbo chanted over and over in his head like a litany, "42,42,42,42..." and quickly crossed the bridge. He looked out as far as he could with his eyes accostomed ot the darkness and then listend for any other orcs. He determined that the Orcs must be broken up into tribes here in Moria, or at least companies and bands. The most dangerous places would be where two bands met, as they would be closely guarded. he determined himself to look out for things that may mark boundries, be they part of the structure of Moria as the Bridge was, or orcin totems that would denote ownership or territory. Once the party was across he came up close to Kori.
     "Captain, we must be methodical if we are to fidn the right passage. I propose to scout ahead of the group slowly down each passage, if I go more than 50' without finding stairs the party can advance. If I find stairs, once I hit 43 I'll come back and we can scratch off that passage." Gumbo looked around, the fey nature of the Hobbit was apparent, he cared not if he found his death here in Moria, perhaps even part of him desired to fall here among the halls of the Dwarves he loved so much. He seldom thought of the Shire anymore, unless it was in its songs or its beer and pipe weed, for once he had taken to arms the stout little hobbit was a changed creature completly bent on the task at hand.
  "I know a bit of Orc and will blend in better than a man, or we can blunder down each passage as a group. I imagine that the halls and deeps are orderd somehow, and the avenues to each would be known to those who would recognize the signs."

[Nori]

Nori crossed over the bridge with the party, his hands gripped the axe haft. He would not allow the darkness to take root in his heart. there he pictured the halls awash in light and the sounds of dwarves working and going about their bussiness and when the darkness seemed to deep or he lost the voice he imagined he thought of his family, and the pride of place he had in undertakign this quest, which was long over due. His Uncle, as the patriarch of the family would have pride of place,, but he would insure that the deeds of Nori would not go unsung.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Well done!  :>

I am digging the character narratives in this game. Okay, Jared (did I spell your name right?), the Dice Roller along with all other resources you will need are along the top of the forum site. Some are active links and the dice roller is an active image of dice. There is also a drop-down that has links to all PC's in games.

Here is the proper URL so that you see the resources: http://rpg.avioc.org

Back to the story... I am going to allow all PC's to give me a Observe roll to try and Perceive Idhriel following the group, but due to Elf Soft-footedness, it will be a TN 25 (Hear) or TN 20 (Sense Power) test.

With Gumbo's suggestion adopted as their plan, the company moved north along the great crevasse until they came to the wall of the cavern. Once found, the group turned west to follow the cold stone until it came to the first opening of a passage... it did not take long.

There was also a new sensation being perceived by the companions - light. From high above, shafts to the outside world sill gleamed with sunlight, those that had no been blocked by refuse or wildlife. It was faint and did nothing but to allow for shadowy shapes to be more clear, yet still the Hall had a faint glow. This added to the faint glow of Turumarth's staff and allowed the company to at least find sure footing.

The first northern passage was roughly five meters wide and disappeared into darkness. As Gumbo had thought, the tribes of orcs in Moria were territorial and marked their own. Whatever the name of the tribe that resided down these halls, the image they took was that of a dagger wrapped by a red-eyed serpent. There were no other symbols, nor were there sentries.

The company took the passage, hoping that luck would shine and it would be the one needed.

sdrotar

:ooc: If it fits the narrative, Vari would be willing to scout ahead with Gumbo - he has the Fey and Grasping flaws himself and would likely be a bit more... aggressive, like Gumbo.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Jingo

Sep 17, 2009, 09:10 PM #12 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009, 09:47 PM by Jingo
As the group paused to consider their options once on the other side of the bridge, Idhriel also paused, hanging back in the deeper darkness. She watched them carefully, considering what her eyes told her. Two dwarves, a human, and a--what was it? Another dwarf? Hard to tell in that armour. It seemed about the right height, but the voice had a higher tenor and the form was more slender than the usual bulkier dwarves. She shook her head. Not a dwarf, perhaps a halfling? She had never seen one, of course, and only had a vague recollection about them from her elven teachers and loremasters.

She sighed. There was plenty, she was beginning to realize, that she had never seen.   

Her eyes went back to the human. He, more than the others, gave her pause. This was because the first thing she noticed about him was that a pale light emanated from his staff. From his staff... At first, she had thought perhaps he was merely carrying a pole lantern, yet the light was of different caste. It did behave in as a pole lantern should, swinging. No, this one remained a constant glow with nary a flicker. And while it did little to dispel the gloom of the place, even so, light coming from a lifeless staff of wood bespoke of one who knew things. Things of power. That one would have to be treated carefully.

Unsure of the group's intentions and their demeanor towards her kind, she decided she was not yet ready to reveal herself. Perhaps if she could overhear what, had drawn them into these accursed halls, she would be better able to ascertain their motives.

She crept nearer attempting to overhear any conversation.

Observe Test:Roll(2d6)+4 5,3,+4 (+2 listen specialty)Total:14[/]

Telcontar

Observe Roll Gumbo
Roll(2d6)+5:
5,6,+5
Total:16
Observe Roll Nori
Roll(2d6)+5:
6,4,+5
Total:15

Neither notice the elf.

[Gumbo]
He looked down the hall and and prepared to move out. He head and then saw Vari move up beside him and looked to the dwarf. "Your axe is welcome at my back Vari, but move a few steps behind me. I can move quickly and quietly alone. I may also be able to bluff my way past or away from an Orc or two without revealing our presence as I am unknown to them and would be small for a dwarf, but the right size for a goblin. If I run into something I will fall back to you and we will hold them until the party comes up. If we come to an intersection wait for me there and I will run ahead to check for stairs, I'll always start to the right and go no more than 50 feet or so. With you here I can distance myself more from the noise and light of the party." Gumbo looked around, leveled his spear and trotted down the hall.

[Nori]
Took up position by his uncle, he was getting on in years but would not admit that to him out loud. He knew his place was to be here in Moria on this quest, and while here by his uncle is where he should be. As the others began to move to follow the hobbit he whispered to his uncle, "I regret even more the dismal state of our house that there were not more of our kin or those loyal to us to come on this quest. the Lords of the Iron Hills will know how worth whether we return or not, just by being here uncle we have redeemed our house, if only there were more of our kin to do this on our own. I will not let the darkness of Moria brng me despair uncle, for when I close my eyes I can hear the voices of our people and see the House of Durin as it once was."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

donimator

A momentary feeling tickled the back of Turumarth's mind. He glimpsed behind and saw only the utter darkness, starker for the muted greys that were filtering through ahead.

Observe (Hear) test, DC 25
Observe +5 (no specialty)
Roll 2d6 +5 = 2,3 + 5 = 10 failure

Shaking it off as nothing, he focused on moving ahead.