• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 02:17 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Durin's Bridge - round 1

Started by tomcat, Jul 07, 2009, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 07, 2009, 12:57 PM Last Edit: Jul 10, 2009, 10:39 AM by tomcat
Situation: The company has advantage of surprise over a wandering scout party of orcs. The number of the orcs is as yet unknown, though the terrain is clear based on maps and memories.

Situational Modifiers: Durin's bridge has an apron on this side of the chasm, though none in the party know its true width. I may require acrobatic/jump/ or other test based on your PC's actions.

NEW: The Orcs can take 6 HP of damage in 4 levels (Durgûz has 5 levels - no penalty for first 6 damage). Penalties will accrue for each level overcome:

Healthy 6: -0
Dazed 12: -1
Injured 18: -3
Wounded 24: -5
Dead 25+: n/a

Physical Modifiers: Moria Darkness will apply to all physical actions and PC's must apply their modifier for Total Darkness (minus any trait mods), unless the lanterns will be unmasked... and even then, all will be at -2.

Initiative:
PC's have surprise and initiative...

Please post a description of your PC's attack... 1 action will be a required Observe (Spot) test TN 12 to see an opponent in the darkness - penalties and mods apply. This required action cost will be removed if the lanterns are unmasked.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Jul 08, 2009, 08:15 PM #1 Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 04:53 AM by tomcat
OOC: I want to drive an opponent back, off the cliff's edge.. what would I need to do to accomplish this?  Also could you post the current darkness penalty?

Observe (Spot) - Roll(2d6)+7: 3,5,+7 Total:15 -3 for Absolute Darkness with Night-eyed 1 = 12 SUCCESS
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Jul 09, 2009, 04:50 AM #2 Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 04:57 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] I want to go over some rules about Moria...

I am defining Night-eyed like Darkvision in D&D - characters with this trait can only see in black and white and all hues of grey between. It would be like seeing normally, just leave out the color and shadows.

The 'darkness' of Moria is deep and so even with a light source (or trait) the environment is considered Dim Lighting. So, here's how I am house ruling Moria's affect for seeing:

• PC's with no trait or light source suffer a -5 to all physical skill check rolls.
  • If a light source of any kind is used, all PC's with no trait suffer a -2 to all physical skill check rolls.
  • Night-eyed 1 gives PC's -3 penalty in absolute dark, and -1 in Dim Lighting.
  • Night-eyed 2 gives PC's -2 penalty in absolute dark, and -1 in Dim Lighting.

Understand, I am doing this because it just doesn't seem right that PC's with no light can see better in the absolute dark of the mines, than those with a light. Because this is an effect of the Shadow of the Enemy, it does not effect creatures of the Shadow the same.

PC's status:
Bornoge - has NE1
Caranmîr - no NE
Gumbo - has NE2
Kori - no NE
Nori - has NE1
Turumarth - no NE
Vári - has NE2
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jul 09, 2009, 05:16 AM #3 Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 05:19 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Matt, to knock an Orc off the parapet, you need to make a Run test TN 7 (1 action cost), then an Unarmed Combat (Grab will give the +2 specialty bonus) TN 10 (1 action cost), then an opposed Strength test TN 9 (no action cost - its a reaction).

A failed run test does not mean you fall - unless it is a disastrous roll - it just means you did not gather enough speed due to unsure footing in the darkness.

All tests, except the opposed strength, are subject to darkness penalties. If all are successful, the orc will be pushed over the edge. I will roll a check to see if the orc is swift enough to grab hold of the ledge and save himself, but you will also need to make sure your momentum doesn't carry you over the edge by misjudging the edge in the darkness. This is going to be determined by how fast you ran... or the Run test result. The higher the number, the more difficult it is for you to stop yourself. The PC can make an Acrobatics or Swiftness test to keep from going over the side (no action cost - it is a reaction).

Lastly, I updated the map to numerate the opponents to help you guys clarify attacks.

Cut

[:ooc: Does Lightning (the spell) create any sound aside from the obvious lighting effects of the spell? And how would a flash of bright light be handled by the eyes of our company, that have adjusted to the darkness of Moria?]

Caranmîr tries to stay in the back of the group, unsure about using his arrows in the near total darkness. But instead of an attack made with his bow he prepares to cast a spell to support his comrades.

In his mind he weighed his options. Should he go for brute force and smite the Orcs with a lightning bolt, hopefully destroying them, maybe forcing them over the side and into the depth or at least blinding them with the magical light that he could unleash or should he go for something more subtle, like using his magic to let the Orcs have to drop their weapons? (by using Wizard's Hands spell). Caranmîr looses a moment, as he consideres and watches the turmoil unfold around him.

Telcontar

Jul 10, 2009, 06:07 AM #5 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009, 05:41 PM by tomcat
Gumbo assumed that in the orderly world of the dwarves the foot bridge would be in a direct line with the hallway. taking a deep breath he began to run down the stairs in a striaght line with his spear before him. His goal was to clear a path for the others to follow behind him, and not get bogged down in a full fight.
The barefeet of the Hobbit padded on the stairs and came out to meet the Orcs on the landing.

Observe Spot Roll(2d6)+5:
6,1,+5,-2 no light
Total:10 +2 spot specialty = 12

ooc: Will Gumbos charge take him by Orc 2 and 3 and on to the foot bridge or should i make a modified attack roll for a blind charge?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

donimator

Turumarth forges ahead, his eyes straining to pick out a glimmer of motion of any sort to match with the sounds of trouble he hears before them. Stumbling, he clutches his staff.

Observe Test, TN 12
Observe(Spot) +7 (+5, +2 spec)
Roll 2d6 +7 = 4,5 +7 -5(no NE) = 11 fail

Turumarth hisses, "I can't see!" as the others push forward around him. "Curses!"

Turumarth casts Creat Light on the end of his staff
Weariness TN 5
Willpower Test +5 (+2 charm, +2 Spell Spec)
Roll 2d6 +9 = 1,5 = 6+9 = 15 success

:ooc: The light illuminates a 20' radius, minus any penalties for the dark of Moria

Turumarth will hold his remaining action while he gets his bearings to use in case he has to parry or dodge

tomcat

:ooc: Before I answer each question, and give you guys any effects, I am going to roll for initiative amongst the party - you guys have the orcs in complete surprise, but I need to see the order in which you all will react:

Bornoge - 10
Gumbo - 9
Nori - 9
Turumarth - 9
Vári - 7
Caranmîr - 7
Kori - 2

Okay, that's done, and now I know how all the pieces will fall into place. Now to your questions:

Nico, yes, Lightning will make a clap sound. It won't be like what we hear coming from overhead, but it will resound in the vastness of the Second Hall.

Tom, Gumbo's charge will take him right in to Orc 3. I want the same type of momentum rolls re: balance on the parapet, even though you are not trying to force the orc off, that I gave to Matt.

The sudden light from Turumarth will affect everyone's actions that follow him. Even though it is still considered Dim Lighting, it is going to be like an initial beacon in the darkness that you all have come somewhat accustomed too. Each PC after Turumarth will suffer an additional -3 to their physical actions along with the penalties they already had.

Telcontar

OOC: Dumb question, I am specialized in spot too is that added in on the character sheet? Or do I add that in?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Lastly, being that Nori's weapon has the Personal Weapon flaw, would he be restricted from using such a tactic?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Jul 15, 2009, 05:37 PM #10 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009, 05:42 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Tom, no it is not included in your scores, so yes, you need to add it to your results. I never include it on PC sheets, so that we always have just the straight skill rank and mods from traits/abilities. I do include the untrained penalty mod (-2) in all skills that do not have a rank, and that may be used untrained. Feel free to update what you would like to do this round, as we haven't really started any actions yet.

Matt, you'll have no problem using this technique. The penalty would only apply should you take up a different weapon.

Sorry, for the delay everybody, we had another family weekend away. I think that is all of the summer's scheduled activities!  ;)

sdrotar

Vári's Observe Test (TN 15)
Roll(2d6)+4:1,6,+4 Total:11 - FAILED

Vári's Run Test (TN 7)
Roll(2d6)+4:1,3,+4 Total:8 - SUCCESS

Vári, axe in hand, sprinted down the stairs towards the sounds. How many Orcs or goblins were making them, and exactly where they were, he could not tell. Nevertheless, he made it to the landing with his companions, ready to swing his heavy blade at the nearest foul beast he could see, now that he was closer.

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

Jul 17, 2009, 07:01 AM #12 Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009, 05:47 AM by tomcat
Gumbo sprinted down the stairs on his padded feet spear levelled. he saw the orc straight in front of him, (ORC 3)and a smile appeared on his face that none could see under his helm. The hobbit filled with the thrill of the upcoming fight restrained a cry for the House of Durin and laid into his foe. Hoping to confuse the Orcs he yelled out in Mountain Orc, "Arckk, whose tresspassin in the realm of 'ROG!"

Attack Roll(2d6)+10:
6,2,+10+2(spec)+1 -2 for darkness
Total:19

DMG:
Roll(2d6)+3:
4,6,+3, +2 (reroll 6) (not understanding the reroll of the 6 - any clarification would be appreciated. I still allowed the damage)
Total:15
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Jul 19, 2009, 06:12 AM #13 Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009, 06:32 AM by tomcat
Company's attack in order (some PC's I am rolling for, as the players are not around):

Bornoge
Look for target TN 12 Observe +6, Specialty +2, -3 darkness
-------------------------
Action 1: Roll(2d6)+5: 4,4,+5 Total:13 SUCCESS

Attack orc 5 TN 10 RC +10, Specialty +2, -3 darkness
Action 2: Roll(2d6)+9: 2,1,+9 Total:12 SUCCESS [Damage Roll(5d6)+4: 4,4,2,6,1,+4 Total:21 with poison] O5 is Wounded -5

Gumbo - charges O3 (I have edited the actions)
Run test TN 7 Run +1, darkness -2
Action 2: Roll(2d6)-1: 6,2,-1 Total:7 VERY NICE! Good dice today!

Charging AC test TN 10 AC+11, Spec +2, Charge +1, darkness -2
Action 3: 6,2,+11+2(spec)+1 -2 for darkness Total:20 [Damage 15 x1.5 = 23] O3 is Wounded -5

Opposed Strength test TN 9 Strength +0
Reaction: Roll(2d6)+0: 6,6,4,+0 Total:16 WOW! again, great roll! Not only is orc wounded, he is shoved off the balcony and plummets into the blackness.

Swiftness test to avoid falling TN 7 Swiftness +3
Reaction: Roll(2d6)+3: 2,6,+3 Total:11 SUCCESS

Nori - to make smashing attack and drive the orc into the abyss (I changed the reqs based on PC's abilities)
Run test TN 7 Run +4, -3 darkness
Action 2: Roll(2d6)+1: 2,6,+1 Total:9 SUCCESS

Charging AC test TN 10 AC+10, Spec +2, Charge +1, darkness -3, MAP -5
Action 3: Roll(2d6)+5: 5,3,+5 Total:13 SUCCESS [Damage Roll(2d6)+8: 6,5,+8 Total:19 x 1.5 = 27] KILLED O4, whose body still proceeds to topple off the balcony  ;)

Swiftness test TN 9 (to avoid falling) Swiftness +2
Reaction: Roll(2d6)+2: 2,6,+2 Total:10 SUCCESS - again very nice!

Turumarth casts his spell and the balcony is suddenly awash with light - the Company can see 5 orcs, but the sudden glare will cause all following PC's a -3 penalty to all physical actions. By round 2, all eyes shall recover but will still suffer the standard Moria -2 dim light penalty for all physical actions.

Vári Shawn, you may feel free to re-tool your actions, as now there is light to see by. Just take into account the penalty for sudden glare above during this round.

Caranmîr loses a moment, as he consideres and watches the turmoil unfold around him. [per Nico's post]

Kori stumbles on the stairs and clatters to the floor (due to fumbled initiative roll, and also taking in the sudden glare of light). Will need to spend an action getting up, but will be prone in round 2.

Telcontar

:ooc: Doug, Sorry man. I forgot that penetration is only when 6 sixes are rolled. my games are getting cross mojoated in my head. ditch the +2

tom
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear