• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 09:50 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1: The First Hall

Started by tomcat, May 12, 2009, 02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

May 12, 2009, 02:14 PM Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:32 PM by tomcat
The foyer of the great Dwarven city was at first awe inspiring. The massive chamber, partially lit by the light cast from outside the doors, stretched off into the darkness, as the company entered and quietly milled about. Nori and Gumbo stood wide-eyed from both what they saw and the very fact that they now stood within the entrance of Moria. Huge pillars, some thirty feet within, rose from the floor and up into the shadow of an unseen ceiling.

The company members first noticed the filth that lay about. With the doors broken open, there was naught to keep the weather and wildlife from venturing in. Debris and dirt was thick on the floor, and Nori could see that the effects of rain, snow and wind had marred the carefully set marble tile. The stones, once polished were now faded, worn and cracked. Dried leaves, pine needles and bird dropping were like a blanket over all and crunched under their feet. What might have only been faint crackles outside the chamber were quite evident noise in the soundless vault, and Nori held up a hand to quiet his companions. Lest their presence was given away even before their adventure could truly start.

This was the grand First Hall of Durin!

It was once a market place where traders came and bartered wares and the wealth of Khazad-dûm was made. Large stone tables, now draped in cobwebs could be seen in the faint light looking like ghosts of a long lost past. Kori closed his eyes and in his mind he envisioned what once was – a chamber full of smiths and craftsman in their glory, trading treasures that would no longer be seen in all of Middle-earth. It saddened the old Dwarf for now this hall seemed nothing more than a filthy mountain cave.

"Come," he whispered and aimed the hooded lantern into the darkness before him. "We must first see that we have not been noticed entering the city. We do not want the Enemy to surround us, and trap us within." Kori continued to instruct, "We must find the passage that leads to the Bridge of Durin and then the Second Hall... my grandfather's notes say it is within that hall that we should find the avenue that will take us into the eastern mines and to where Tori worked of old."

With that instruction, Gumbo, Nori, and Vari took point, as their eyes were most keen for seeing in the dark. They all moved forward trying to be silent, yet the expanse of the chamber enhanced every sound. Fear filled them all as they left behind the light of day.

[OOC:] I need the players to choose who will be the 'leader' and give direction on which way you guys wanna go, or what you want to investigate - this will not be without group input, but I do not want to guide you. I will add insight from Kori as is needed. The leader must be someone that can regularly visit the site and post, and will be required to do a lot of the rolls on the party's behalf. If it is a skill that only a particular character needs, I will call on that player, but if it is a general roll, I want a designated player so that we don't get too bogged down. Obviously, this adventure would be a whole lot easier if we all sat at a table, but we are not.

I know you all can see the maps on the site, but that does not give your characters absolute insight. It is more of a player reference so you guys have visuals along the way.

The maps will always have north to the top, or should. If there is a map that is not oriented in this way, I will let you know. Each square is five feet and can accommodate two characters walking, but only one while in combat. I will let you guys know if there are ever any penalties due to the environment of Moria.

All this said, let's begin. Who is our designated table leader, and what is the direction to go? Use the Poll thread in the general discussion to elect the group leader.

Thanks! Here we go...
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Since I believe Shawn has been designated leader, you should probably use Nori's knowledge skills and abilities to lead you through since he has knowledge of Moria and is adept underground when I am not available.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Roborob

May 18, 2009, 12:42 PM #2 Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:51 PM by Roborob
"Well this is a grand place, but we cannot stay here to take in the sights. If your treasure is not here than I think we should move on!" He was clearly unnerved by the massive yet stifling hall, and his voice was barely audible. Glancing about though he couldn't see where they could possibly go, as the darkness limited his vision.  "Oh why am I here, why did I have to investigate that noise in the woods."

OOC: Not usurping leadership or anything.... just a nudge in the right direction  ;)

ps OOC: Also it seems like I have the most free time (having gotten out of school) and wouldn't mind taking some of the load in order to keep things moving or something like that.

sdrotar

Quote from: Roborob on May 18, 2009, 12:42 PM
OOC: Not usurping leadership or anything.... just a nudge in the right direction  ;)

ps OOC: Also it seems like I have the most free time (having gotten out of school) and wouldn't mind taking some of the load in order to keep things moving or something like that.

OOC: Totally fine with me. I have no intention of dragging us around by the ear whatsoever. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

"First, it seems like we'll need to find our bearings and make our way in the general direction of this treasure. But we will need to be careful and quiet - and when a safe spot to rest avails itself, I suggest we take it," Vari said. "The Dwarven prize has lain in wait for years untold; we have no need to rush and risk being spotted."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

May 19, 2009, 09:19 PM #4 Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:58 PM by tomcat
"Aye there is no rush," whispered Kori. "But the longer our presence here, the surer it will be that we are discovered... and then we need not worry about any prize."

The other members of the company again heard the fatalistic voice coming from the elder Dwarf and it gave them all pause. Kori spoke again, "My maps and memory tell me that the entrance to the Second Hall is through a passage at the far end of this hall... down the stairs and over Durin's Bridge."

To Nori and Vári, the very thought of seeing Durin's Bridge and the great chasm it spanned was somewhat overwhelming. Both the Dwarf kin smiled to themselves in anticipation as they led the company forward.

It was when they reached the end of the light from the open doors behind that they all once more rallied the courage to continue. Each party member stepped over the line from light into darkness and so their adventure truly began. The beams of the hooded lanterns cast dim light ahead of them...

:arrow: OOC: I have made a d6 roll to determine test needs by PC - if I rolled a 1 for your PC, I need an Observe test TN 12. I also need a Stealth (Sneak) roll from everyone. Remember all physical tests are at -2 due to darkness, but I am granting a +1 affinity bonus for the Observe tests, due to the whole party looking around.

Gumbo - Roll(1d6)+0: 6,+0 Total:6
Bornoge - Roll(1d6)+0: 5,+0 Total:5
Nori - Roll(1d6)+0: 2,+0 Total:2
Kori - Roll(1d6)+0: 1,+0 Total:1
Vári - Roll(1d6)+0: 5,+0 Total:5
Caranmîr - Roll(1d6)+0: 1,+0 Total:1
Turumarth - Roll(1d6)+0: 2,+0 Total:2

Kori's Observe (Spot) test and Stealth (Sneak) tests:
TN 12 Observe +3, Specialty +2, Darkness -2, Affinity +1
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+4: 2,6,+4 Total:12 SUCCES [very lucky]

TN n/a Stealth +3, Specialty +2, Darkness -2
Roll(2d6)+3: 1,3,+3 Total:7

Nori's Stealth (Sneak) tests:
TN n/a Stealth +7, Specialty +2, Cave-crawler +1, Darkness -2, affinity (survival) +1
Roll(2d6)+9: 1,4,+9 Total:14
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Roborob

Stealth (Sneak) Test

Roll(2d6) +3 Sneak Skill, +2 Nim, +2 Sneak speciality, -2 darkness :
6,3,+5
Total:14

donimator

Turumarth's Stealth test
Stealth (untrained -2)(darkness -2)
2d6 -4 = 5,3 -4 = 4

Cut

May 24, 2009, 04:04 AM #7 Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:19 AM by tomcat
Caranmîr's Observe check: TN12: +6 skill rank / -2 darkness / +1 group effort = 2d6 +5

[OOC: Does Caranmîr's (spot) speciality add another +2 to the test result?]

[GM EDIT:] Yes...

2d6+5 = Roll(2d6)+5:
4,4,+5
Total:13 +2 = 15

Caranmîr's Stealth test (unknown TN) +7 skill / -2 darkness = 2d6+5

2d6+5= Roll(2d6)+5:
4,5,+5

Telcontar

Roll(2d6)+10 -2(darkness):
6,5,+8 (rerolled 6 =2)
Total:21

OOC: Gumbo will be carrying his pack and anyhting else that that the party needs of him. I'll be leaving for Afghanistan in the next couple of days so it maybe another couple of weeks before I can update my actions again. Have no fear though Gumbo's spear and appettite for revenge is still keen. 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

The company moved forward past the first set of columns when both the Elf, and the elder Dwarf suddenly stopped. Kori hissed to all, "Careful!", bringing everyone to a halt. The craftsman shone his lantern onto a crude rope that stretched along, just a foot above the floor. Caranmîr had also seen it, but save for he and Kori, no one else in the party was at peril of tripping over it. The craftsman whispered again, "It would seem that the city's new occupants have set more than sentries to guard their doorway. We must be mindful of our feet."

Vári cringed at the notion that the city of his kin was now laden with traps and alarms. What also made him pause was the whispered voice Kori, for though he was quiet, the sounds seemed all too dangerously loud in the empty First Hall. He watched as both Elf and Dwarf stepped over the trip rope and the group continued deeper into the city. They did not get much further when another threat made itself apparent... distant, cruel voices in the dark.

"Garn! Did you hear that?"

"What?"

"I heard something out there..."

"Probably just some animal coming in for shelter from that whicked sun!"

"I don't know... sounded more to me like the shuffling and clinking of something moving. Bigger than an animal."

"Then go take a look."

"You come with me."

"I's got a pot a'stewin'! And I means to eat. You heard it... you go sniff it out!"

"Garn! Y'er a lazy lob and gutless! Its our job to make sure that nothin' enters here!"

"Well if something has, then it still needs pass us and we'll spy it out. Besides, Durgûz and some of his lads are patrolling about. If there's anything out there we'll catch it... and maybe we can have meat to put in this horrid stew!"

:arrow: [OOC:] Actions and/or dialogue?

I have marked the map with the present location of the company. The other location is the direction from which the voices are coming from.

Roborob

Bornoge quickly takes out one of his javelins and smears the hunters poison on it. He knew that stealth was critical and hoped the poison could stop the sentry before he could warn the others. Carefully stepping over the trip-rope he sneaks forward, trying to reach the far column to the south-west, so that he can ambush the approaching voice. All the while straining his ears to hear any other danger.

OOC: since you'll probably ask for sneak/listen rolls I'll give them here.

Stealth(Sneak)
Roll(2d6)+5:
6,5,+7(sneak skill), -2(Dim Lighting?)
Total:16

Observe(Listen)
Roll(2d6)+6:
5,3,+6

tomcat

[OOC:] Just to clarify Rob, the voices are not approaching. The company hears them off in the distant silence of the First Hall. I have marked the map on the Moria page, in the First Hall that shows the relative location of where the voices are coming from.

Still, your rolls are needed. I will update once I hear from a few more players.

Roborob

OOC: Ok thanks for clarifying; nonetheless my actions stand as they are.

donimator

Luckily, Turumarth's thoughts of igniting a light were quashed by the distant voices before they had entered much beyond the gates. Trying his best to keep his armour from creaking, he sought the cover of a column and readied his staff, listening for a way he could aid should his companions be set upon.

Telcontar

Gumbo motioned to the others, move away and skirt the far wall.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18