• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 04:53 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 3: River Cross

Started by tomcat, Sep 24, 2008, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Oct 03, 2008, 03:24 PM #15 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2008, 03:28 PM by tomcat
The boy took the extended hand with a tremulous one of his own. The hobbit pulled with all of his strength to help the small boy out, and soon the lad was standing next to him - almost a head taller than Gumbo.

The fear that filled the boy began to fade as he saw that there were potential friends around him, but then he caught site of the body laying half in half out of the river. He ran to where the dead man lay and fell to his knees. The Company watched as the boy was wracked with sobs, his head hanging low.

Coated in mud, Kori looked at the rest, "Well... let's set camp here for the night and help this child with his fallen. Nori, you and Vári see to drawing the body from the river so that it might be given proper rights. Turumarth, you and Gumbo see to the dead orcs... see if you can find out where they are from. Caranmîr give me a hand in setting camp."

The Sylvan Elf and Dwarf found an area that sat above the waterline and was not mud. There Caranmîr dug a fire pit and filled it with what wood was available. Kori saw to setting the fire and unloading food and bedding.

Gumbo and Turumarth used rope to draw all of the dead orcs and warg away from the area of the camp. Each of the goblins were either branded, or tattooed on the forehead with what appeared to be an eye, a spike or dagger piercing up through its center. The fell-creatures weapons still lay near where each had fallen and the halfling tossed them in the river. Once done, they returned to see the boy kneeling by the fire, a blanket thrown over his shoulders, and gnawing on a piece of hard bread. Over the fire, a spit of meat heated.

Nori and Vári followed soon after. They had unlashed the body from the large log and brought it onto the shore. The dead man's cloak was used to cover him, though it had been difficult due to the stiffness of the corpse. The Dwarves were as respectful as they could be.

With things done, everyone finally had a chance to sit and warm themselves, take food, and inquire as to what had happened to the boy and his comrade.

[OOC:] A Lore: Realm (Mirkwood) TN 10 or related type test (add +2 to TN) may be made to know the tribe of orcs.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Lore: Anduin Vales Roll(2d6)+3:
2,6,+3
Total:11

Lore: Misty Mountains Roll(2d6)+3:
2,3,+3
Total:8

Gumbo took out his pipe and filled the bowl, "Well now young master I am Gumbo Bellybottom at your service. I know it is soon, but we would know your tale so as to take steps to remedy it or get you safely to where you belong. Let's start with your name and go from there."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Oct 03, 2008, 05:44 PM #17 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2008, 05:46 PM by tomcat
"My name is Gelan," the boy answered. "Three days past, my brother and I left our village to hunt. The beginning of spring always brings the forest deer out onto the plains for fresh grass."

Gelan took another bite of the bread and quickly glanced to where the dead man lie, "We had no luck and so we continued to march up river for a full two days. I told Gralin that we go too far... what would we do with an animal if we brought it down so far from home!

"He didn't heed me and so we continued. We came to the marshes here and decided to turn back as the sun set on the mountains. Gralin said he saw shadows moving in that copse of trees." The boy pointed to a thicket some two-hundred meters away. "The sun set and we heard the howl."

Visible fear could be seen on Gelan's face and large tears rolled from his eyes, though he did not sob. "Gralin emptied my quiver and told me to hide in the log... said he'd come back for me. I spent the rest of that night and all of this day hidden there."

The boy's voice faded into a whisper as he finished his story.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

donimator

Lore(Misty Mountains) +6, vs. TN12
2d6 +6 = 2,4 +6 = 12 - marginal

Turumarth looked at the bodies when the task was done with some glimmer of familiarity, but was not convinced. Returning to the camp he looked at the boy.

Memories of the past, of being alone and afraid flooded him before he held them in check...never again!

"Are you hurt at all, son? We know some healing arts and can take away the...physical pain."

GandalfOfBorg

"Aye, uncle," said Nori as he handed over the reins.  Once down, he loosened his axe at his side, making himself ready in case there was a further ambush.  After taking care of the dead, Nori set about to scout out the area for tracks -- orc tracks -- and try to discern where they came from.

Observe (Spot) - Roll(2d6)+5: 1,5,+5 +2 Total:13
Track (Orcs) - Roll(2d6)+4: 2,3,+4 +2 Total:11
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

donimator

Turumarth drops his voice so just the nearby companions can hear, "The markings on those orcs place them from the tribes to the south of Mirkwood. They've travelled a long way to be scouting up this far. I worry what we'll encounter as we continue south. Some had best scout well ahead and watch for ambush points where we might get our cart mired."

Roborob

His voice just a whisper Bornoge says, "Yes I think that would be good Turumarth." Pausing he looks at Gelan, "But what of the boy? We can't just leave him out here alone, I wont have it! We are going south anyways and we should return the boy to his village." His voice getting louder," If you don't agree I will take him myself if I have to!", Bornoge pauses and tries to regain his composure and his voice drops again, "Besides I'm sure his village must have a way of crossing the Great River, and any information they have about the road to Moria may be useful."

OOC: Sorry about the long term absence. I haven't had as much time now that schools started again)

sdrotar

Quote from: Roborob on Oct 06, 2008, 05:37 PM
Pausing he looks at Gelan, "But what of the boy? We can't just leave him out here alone, I wont have it! We are going south anyways and we should return the boy to his village." His voice getting louder," If you don't agree I will take him myself if I have to!", Bornoge pauses and tries to regain his composure and his voice drops again, "Besides I'm sure his village must have a way of crossing the Great River, and any information they have about the road to Moria may be useful."

"This makes sense to me," said Vári. "'Tis not right to leave him here, and the diversion would not take us far off our course."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

" Everyone is in agreement about the boy so there is no reason to make loud boasts and threats about what you are going to do Bornoge. My folk can be hard to see when we want to be, I suggest the elf and I get about a four hour start tomorrow and leave trail markers as we go. Captain, this should probably be our last night with an open fire. I would consider not having one, but I think one night of warmth would be good for the boy. We can cook our meals for the next couple of days tonight. The wagon will be easy to follow but there is no sense in declaring where we are exactly each night." Gumbo stops and ponders for a minute. "We can cut the bows off a couple of trees and tie it to the back of the wagon. It may confuse any Orcs who find it as to what passed and its size."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Cut

Caranmîr nodded at the halflings words. "I shall acompany Master Gumbo in the early hours of the new day."

[OOC: I am back from vacation, haveing been home for some days know, but haveing had a lot do for university and such things. Will be posting more regularly as of now I hope. Nice that you have kept Caranmîr along and alive :) ]

tomcat

[OOC:] Thanks for the patience everyone. I was going to PM the findings to Matt, but I will go ahead and do the narrative/dialogue and you all can pick up on the thread as you wish.

As Gumbo made his suggestions and received confirmation from the Elf, Nori returned to the circle of light that was cast about by the fire.

The Dwarf had taken the time to scout out the area, following what tracks could be found to the small grove of trees and beyond. Due to the day's ending, he thought it best to return to the safety of numbers, for his findings were grim.

"The orcs and wargs look as if they had come up from the south. By the tracks, I'd say there were at least fifteen in their party and perhaps three wargs." Nori continued, "I found traces of their camp in the grove of trees yonder, where the boy mentioned that they were first seen, although they are no longer there.

"They are devious and cunning... it looks like they followed over the very tracks that they made coming so as to hide their direction. I fear that we have not seen the last of them."

Nori took a large cut of meat from the spit over the fire along with a hunk of bread. He sat and quietly gobbled both up.

Kori looked around, "All right... we heed Master Gumbo's advice on our own stealthy maneuvers and you two scout our road in the dawn. I fear it is not during the daylight that we will run astray as it will be in the dark of night, when such foul creatures find their way. Be on your guard."

And so, with Gumbo's guidance, Bornoge took his keen-edged blade and cut thin branches from the surrounding vegetation. These were then tied to the back of the wagon so that they dragged the ground behind it.

Except for basic needs, the wagon was reloaded and the ponies kept close so that the Company could quickly get on their way if need arose. This done and their bellies full, the companions laid down and took rest in shifts - the first watch being for the large northman.

Bornoge sat with his back to the fire and his sword stuck in the ground between his knees, angled so that he coould watch the copse of trees in the distance. The position allowed him to see better in the dark without the firelight before him and messing up his nightvision.

Shadows of night moved about the camp and newly awakened animals began their songs of the night - frogs croaked, insects buzzed, and the occassional deer (or other nocturnal creature) moved to the river to take a drink. The skittish animals looked at the small ring of Men, Dwarves, and Elf and thought it an odd sight, but gave it no more heed. Four hours passed and the watch changed along with the departure of Gumbo and Caranmîr.

The sun was still a few hours away.

The Halfling and Elf moved quietly through the early morning darkness, weaving a path through the muck and mire that still made up the land. Caranmîr noticed a darker shadow loom on the horizon, resting along the river. It was another grove of trees growing thick, blocking their route, and potentially hiding their enemies.

The two had a choice - follow their course with the river on their right and the wood on their left; or move west and circumvent the grove of trees. But neither knew how wide or long the forest might be... and their friends would soon be following.

Back at the camp, the remaining members were beginning to rise to start a new day even though the sun had yet to rise.

Telcontar

Gumbo looked at the elf and motioned for him to stop. "Caramir, I think we should stick to our course. I'll move ahead a couple hundred yards to see what may lie ahead. After that I will come back and motion to you. If you leave markers and do this successively we should be able to clear the way ahead, but allow the wagon plenty of warning if the way should become dangerous. "
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Cut

The Elf stopped as Gumbo motions him. He listenes to the words of the Hobbit. All the while the gaze goes to the grove of tree, the shadow close to the riverside. "What you suggest sounds reasonable, Master Gumbo." He motiones for the halfling to go ahead. "We shall proceed as you say. But right now I wish we had all steeds and would not be slowed down by the wagon. Then we could circumvent the trees without losing precious time. But there seems to be no other way. Be on your guard, and please do not venture to far ahead alone."

Telcontar

Gumbo smiled, "I'm glad you have my back Master Elf. I'll go only a hundred yards or so at a time and so we will bound forward.  I wish we would have floated down the river then we could have waved to the orcs along the way, but you cant tell a dwarf you have to heard them. And if wishes were feathers we could all fly." Gumbo chuckled softly nodded to the elf and bounded off into the wood.

OOC: once I get into the wood I am going to stop for a minute listen to the surroundings and then start moving forwarded and listen if the sound of the wood changes. I cant imagine the flora and fauna appreciate their goblin visitors. I can make a stealth roll if you want, but basically I am going to scout out a hundred yards at a time, make a straight line back to Caramir, make a trail marker for the others and then go forward. I want to attempt to scout out the width that the muffled wagon sounds will make but if that will take to long I'll weave the distance looking for Orc sign.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Gumbo stood silently listening to the sounds of the forest. There was no unnatural silence, nor sounds that did not belong. He moved forward another one-hundred yards and then stood silent. And so he progressed.

When he was sure there were no threats, he returned for the Elf, only to do it all over again. Slowly, they made their way through the forest as the eastern sky began to brighten. It was at the southern end where Gumbo and Caranmîr made the discovery of the orc raiders. The two merely walked into the empty camp left by the fell-creatures, and by the look, it had been some 12 hours before.

Behind their position, by a number of miles, the wagon and their companions trudged through the muck and fens.