• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 11:48 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Battle of Cliffwall - Round 4

Started by tomcat, Jul 25, 2008, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 25, 2008, 05:46 PM Last Edit: Jul 26, 2008, 03:50 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Okay you guys, I want to make sure you all have an idea of who/what you are leading into this combat. It is a mercenary troop of sixty men or six units. I have made changes in it so that you guys can go with your plan of Durgil leading the archers, Dirnhael with the footmen, and Fengel leading the cavalry. You each have two units... I know, not a lot there to work with, but... it was only a small merchant town with hired soldiers. The militia numbers that I gave you guys when you were in the city, was the number of citizens that could be mustered in times of need... but those citizens wouldn't have marched out of their town to aid in this conflict. Instead, you guys have the soldiers that you influenced, so use them well!

Lastly, I have no problem if you guys take command of like units - meaning Durgil can take command of the Éothraim archers, Fengel the light cavalry. Only Thuidmar will command the heavy cavalry. Leaders can move to any arena for each round, but it must be stated at the commencement of your turn. Also, leadership effects will only effect that arena.
;D

The companions began to see streams of white smoke rising from the plain before them, and could both feel and hear the rumble as the armies of east and west clashed. A tall cliff wall rose out of the flat land, signalling the beginning of the Dinvuld Hills.

They had arrived.

The Sagath and Éothraim were heavily engaged, but the battle appeared to be bogging down and becoming one of attrition. The heavy wains rolled through the Éothraim cavalry, but the skilled horsemen evaded the attacks. In retrospect, the plains-folk found the armored wains difficult to damage.

Harizän broke from his position and rode across the field to where his light pony riders battled the light horsemen of Thuidmar. Many of the Easterlings units had been disordered and stragglers milled about, some dazed, some wounded, some terrified and wanting to leave the field. The huge man drew them back together with the strength of his will and ordered them to join the other ranks and smash once more into their enemy.

Swords continued to ring against one another as a new host of men out of the east charged onto the field. Thuidmar's folk looked on in fear that the Sagath had brought in more reinforcements... Harizän's men cheered their approach. The cries of joy quickly turned to that of fear as Fengel and his Ilanin horsemen smashed into the Easterlings!

[OOC:] Okay... here are the rules for each of your companies. You guys all are allowed to make two manoeuvres before you commit to attacks (see the Battle Map page above for allowed manoeuvres). I am going to give you all auto initiative this round, but one of your manoeuvres for this round must be a Move TN 5 to move into the arena to attack.

If you have questions on how this works, ask... we can take a bit of time with round 4 getting you guys up to mass-combat speed!
  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Jul 29, 2008, 03:12 PM #1 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008, 05:26 AM by GandalfOfBorg
OOC: I'll take charge of the archers...

Durgil had sized the men up that were referred to him or that had joined his lead with enthusiasm: they weren't the yeomen of Arthedain but they had courage and that matters.  The last units to enter the arena as they were the most vulnerable, the archers formed up in a wall.  Having previously seen noticed the archers upon the cliffs, he timed his command to coincide with their next barrage so as to apply maximum effect in concentrating their fire upon the massive wain formation.  "For Ilanin and The West!" came his call.  This was the trigger for the archers to fire and the rest of the Ilanin soldiers to advance.

Maneuvers
Leader
1) Inspire (TN 10 Willpower, lacking Siegecraft) - Roll(2d6 +3: 5,6,+3 Total:14
+2 Toughness, +1 Melee to LC and LI
+2 Toughness, +1 Ranged to LA

ILA
1) Move (TN 5 Movement) - Roll(2d6)+8: 5,2,+9 Total:16
2) [EDIT] Concentrate Fire (TN 30 RC) - Roll(2d6)+9: 2,5,+8 Total:16  FAILURE

ELA
1) [EDIT] Commit Archers (TN 25 RC) - Roll(2d6)+15: 1,2,+15 Total:18  FAILURE

Attacks
ILA attacking HW units
[EDIT] TN 18 Ranged Combat - Roll(2d6)+8: 4,5,+8 Total:17  FAILURE

ELA attacking HW units
[EDIT] Unable to attack HW units

OOC: What do I roll for next round's initiative?
[EDIT] Init - Roll(2d6)+2: 6,5,+2 Total:13
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Jul 30, 2008, 05:19 PM
[OOC:] Thanks Matt. I will post the rest of the new combat round tomorrow morning and go ahead and make the manoeuvres for the other Ilanin units. I do not think that Shawn and Paul have the Helm's Deep book, but if you guys have thoughts as to what you want your troops to do, let me know.

OOC: I do have the Helm's Deep book, actually, but mass combat befuddles me.  :?

Basically, I want Dirnhael's infantry to charge right up the middle of Harizan's massed army, and drive as deeply as they can before the Easterling cavalry has time to circle back around and catch them. While they might risk the arrows of Thuidmar's men if no message gets through, that's far better than getting cut down by men on horseback - and they could create chaos while working their way to Harizan, where Dirnhael wants to be ready to assist Fengel if it comes to that.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

OOC: I am clueless on this so please bear with me.  Fengel will lead the Ilanin light cavalry through the closest Easterling archers hoping to wipe them out quickly.

1: What's the sitch for the mercenaries mod?

2: I believe you said we get the initiative on the first round.

3: Thick of battle

4: Leader: Inspire
Unit: Move & Charge
Inspire:TN10 Roll(2d6)+2: 1,4,+2 Total:7+1 courage = 10
Move: TN 5  what's the bonus' for the unit on this?
Charge: TN 10  again bonus'?

Helpppppppp!

tomcat

[OOC:] Hey Paul, I will get you all situated tomorrow. GUARANTEED and PROMISED! No excuses here, just distractions. I just finished putting in my vinyl fence this weekend and that has left me exhausted these last few nights. Digging post holes really sucks! But it was so worth it.

Anyway, I will be posting round 4 tomorrow and we will move this game along so we don't lose anymore momentum. I will say that I have been playing in three other games right now, and it has been great just being a player and not having to think of stuff.  ;)

Until the AM... seriously! I am not kidding! No... really!  ':}
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Nice fence!  I think we all will say, "We understand" and we are patient, it is just a game anyway.  Oh, did I say that?

tomcat

ROUND 4

Step 1: Terrain and Situational Modifiers: The terrain offers no benefit in Arena 60 Plains (East or West); Situational mods have been stated on the Battle Map page and bonuses and penalties have been figured into both armies stats.

Step 2: The Order of Battle: Unit Leadership test for initiative-

Harizän
TN n/a Seige-craft +3, Specialty +2
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+5: 2,1,+5 Total:8

Thuidmar
TN n/a Seige-craft +5, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+7: 3,1,+7 Total:11

Step 3: Leader's Position: Thuidmar is on the Outskirts; Harizän is in the Thick of Battle

Step 4: Manoeuvres:

Thuidmar's army:

Manoeuver 1: Rally - Thuidmar rallies his light cavalry units that have been disarrayed in the earlier moments of the conflict...
TN 10 Seige-craft +5, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+7: 1,1,-1,+7 Total:8 FAILED

Manoeuvre 2: Press the Attack - heavy cavalry from Plains East commit attack on Easterling Heavy Wains formation in Plains East...
TN 15 Melee +18
Roll(2d6)+18: 1,2,+18 Total:21 SUCCESS [+2 bonus to all armies for Melee combat attacks]

Bonus Manoeuvre 3: Inspire - Thuidmar blows his horns
Roll(2d6)+7: 5,3,+7 Total:15 SUCCESS [+3 bonus to all armies Toughness]

Harizän's army:

Manoeuver 1: Press the Attack - Heavy wains in Plains East commit attack on  Éothraim  Heavy Cavalry formation in Plains East...
TN 15 Melee +18
Roll(2d6)+18: 3,6,+18 Total:27 SUCCESS [+2 bonus to all armies for Melee combat attacks]

Manoeuvre 2: Inspire - Harizän and the Sagath give a war shout...
Roll(2d6)+7: 3,5,+7 Total:15 SUCCESS [+3 bonus to all units Toughness]

Manoeuvre 3: Rally - Light cavalry unit re-grouped in Plains West...
TN 10 Seige-craft +3, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+5: 2,1,+5 Total:8 FAILED

Step 5: Launch Attacks

Thuidmar attacks in Plains East and West with all available formations:

Plains West Light cavalry attacks Easterling Light cavalry
TN 15 Melee +12, Man Mod +2
Roll(2d6)+14: 4,5,+14 Total:23 Superior success [10 units imperiled, but there are only 7 to imperil... so 7 ]

Plains East Light Cavalry attacks Easterling Light Archers
TN 14 Melee +12, Man Mod +2
Roll(2d6)+14: 2,1,+14 Total:17 Complete Success [4 units imperiled]

Plains East Heavy cavalry attack Easterling Heavy wains
TN 22 Melee combat +18, Man Mod +2
Roll(2d6)+20: 2,2,+20 Total:24 Complete success [13 units imperiled]

Fengel Maneuvers and attacks:
Manoeuvre 1: Inspire
TN 10 Bearing +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 1,4,+2 Total:7+1 courage = 10 SUCCESS [+3 bonus to all units Toughness]

Manoeuvre 2: Charge
TN 10 Movement +8
Roll(2d6)+8: 6,3,+8 Total:17 SUCCESS [+4 bonus to all Melee Combat]

Cavalry smashes into archers
TN 14 Melee +13, Man Mod +4
Roll(2d6)+17: 4,5,+17 Total:26 Extraordinary Success [6 LA units imperiled]

Dirnhael Maneuvers and attacks:
Manoeuvre 1: Inspire
TN 10 Siegecraft +7, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+9: 6,1,+9 Total:16 SUCCESS [+3 bonus to all units Toughness]

Manoeuvre 2: Charge
TN 10 Movement +8
Roll(2d6)+8: 3,2,+8 Total:13 SUCCESS [+4 bonus to all Melee Combat]

Infantry smashes into wainriders, trying to upset their charge and attack as they pass
TN 22 Melee +13, Man Mod +4
Roll(2d6)+17: 1,4,+17 Total:22 Marginal Success [2 HW units imperiled]

Harizän counterattacks in Plains East and West with all available formations...

Sagath heavy wains attack Éothraim heavy cavalry
TN 27 Melee +18, Man mod +2
Roll(2d6)+20: 2,1,+20 Total:23 FAILED

Sagath light cavalry attack Éothraim light cavalry in Plains West
TN 21 Melee +11, Man mod +2
Roll(2d6)+13: 2,3,+13 Total:18 FAILED

Sagath archers attack Éothraim light cavalry in Plains East
TN 21 Ranged +10, Man mod +2
Roll(2d6)+12: 1,5,+12 Total:18 FAILED

Step 6: Determine Casualties

Thuidmar and Ilanins soldiers have no imperiled units

Harizän has 7 light cavalry units imperiled in Plains West: 2 unit losses

Harizän has 4 light archer units imperiled in Plains East (must save 2x): 3 unit losses

Harizän has 13 Heavy wain units imperiled in Plains East (2 units must save 2x): 0 unit losses

Step 7: Leaders' Fates

Thuidmar is injured! ( I forgot to incapacitate him for one round, so I will do it in Round 5)

Harizän is uninjured

Step 8: Fighting On Of course! But with the injury of their king on one side, and the losses on the other, the armies separate to re-group and take measure of their opponents.

Round 5 will allow for First Strike maneuvers once again.

Battle map is updated.

tomcat

[OOC:] The only thing left to do here is for you guys to roll your personal attacks/Leader's fate. You can do this one of two ways:

sdrotar

OOC: I'll use the Leader's Fate table, since it's faster and less likely to hold things up.
I'm assuming Dirnhael is considered in the Heart of Battle; first, because that's his style, and second, he wants to push through towards Harizan, so I assume he's near or on the front lines.

Roll(2d6)+0:6,5,+0 Total:11

According to the table, that means Dirnhael made it through this round "Uninjured". Woo-hoo!

Dirnhael breathed deeply as he swung Vorandur to and fro with ill intent, pushing his way through the Easterling throngs, trying to get his men deeply entrenched enough to avoid archers and cavalry. If the Easterlings wanted him and his men, there would be only one way for them to succeed; they would have to best them with blades in hand.

Dirnhael decided that, given the circumstances, he liked those odds - as another of Harizan's swine fell at his feet.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

OOC: I don't know how all of this works or how it effects Fengel as he rides through the archers.  I don't have the combat book so should I do the link that you gave?

tomcat

[OOC:] The method that I created for you guys on the linked thread allows you more interactivity with rolling. The other method you just roll against a table to determine your results. The former will give your character 'bragging' rights (i.e. you'll know how many you slayed), while rolling against the table just will give you a quick battle round result. You can certainly use the results to write any narrative like Shawn did.

Anyway, here is the table:

GandalfOfBorg

Aug 15, 2008, 02:51 AM #11 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 01:36 PM by GandalfOfBorg
OOC: Based on the table above, Doug...

Outskirts - Roll(2d6)+0: 3,5,+0 Total:8  UNINJURED

Durgil is angered that the darts of the west-men aren't having an effect against the great wains of the Easterlings.  Together, though, the bows of Ilanin and Eothraim all concentrating on a single target will greatly improve the chances of being effective.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

First Skirmish
1. number of opponents- Roll(1d3)+0: 3,+0 Total:3
2. enemy attacks
3. enemies killed - 3
Roll(1d6)+0: 3,+0 Total:3
Roll(1d6)+0: 3,+0 Total:3
Roll(1d6)+0: 4,+0 Total:4

Second Skirmish
1. opponents - Roll(1d3)+0: 3,+0 Total:3
2. enemy attacks
3. enemies killed - 2
Roll(1d6)+0: 2,+0 Total:2
Roll(1d6)+0: 2,+0 Total:2
Roll(1d6)+0: 6,+0 Total:6

Weariness check: TN 10
Roll(2d6)+3stamina: 6,3,+3 Total:12

I think that's right.
I'll write a narrative after you roll for the bad guys.

tomcat

Aug 15, 2008, 06:52 PM #13 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 06:55 PM by tomcat
First skirmish enemy results: 3 attackers
TN n/a roll 2d6 per attacker and score on 1, or 2
Roll(6d6)+0: 1,4,3,5,4,2,+0 Total:19 Fengel hit twice
Damage:
Roll(2d6)+2: 2,6,+2 Total:10 [-4 armour = 6]
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,1,+2 Total:6 [-4 armour = 2 (total 8 )]

Second skirmish enemy results: 3 attackers
TN n/a roll 2d6 per attacker and score on 1, or 2
Roll(6d6)+0: 6,1,1,4,5,6,+0 Total:23 Fengel hit twice
Damage:
Roll(2d6)+2: 1,6,+2 Total:9 [-4 armour = 5]
Roll(2d6)+2: 5,5,+2 Total:12 [-4 armour = 8, total 13]

Fengel is reduced to Dazed -1

Palandil

OOC: Ouch!!

Fengel and the Ilanin horsemen rode through the easterling archers, making short work of destroying their unit.  However it was not with out its price.  As Cerduil slashed through enemy after enemy, he had felt a few of their blades bite as well.  With the success of their run however Fengel paused to ascertain the field and Harizan's position.