• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 07:18 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Forest Encounter - Round 4

Started by tomcat, Jun 19, 2008, 05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 19, 2008, 05:55 PM Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008, 07:40 PM by tomcat
Situation: The Company sees Old Gar turn and run.

Situational Modifiers: Dim Lighting (-2 test modifier) will affect all outside the yellow ring (map shows extent of lighting); Turumarth's spell has granted all characters a +2 bonus to all tests for the spell duration.

Gar's Defense = 10 [Size = Large, Defence is reduced by 2 for each level smaller than Large]

Physical Modifiers: Weariness penalties as follows (forgot these in round 1, but no biggie): Gumbo and Vári are -1 Winded; Beren, Kori, Turumarth are -2 Tired. Gar is Injured -1.

Initiative:
Nori - 13
Kori - 11
Gumbo - 10
Beren - 9
Turumarth - 8
Vari - 8
Caranmîr - 7
Old Gar - 6
Bornoge -

Other tidbits: Beren - your Insight test from last round told you that Gar spoke the truth. Bornoge - you hear the lumbering of a large-sized creatures moving through the woods and you will arrive at the end of this round; you may make dialogue but no actions in Round 4.

Lastly, because Gar is running, you guys will need to spend an action to catch up to him in an opposed Run test. Size modifiers will affect these tests due to Gar's great strides... -2 penalty for Medium-sized characters and -4 for Small-sized characters.

Gumbo, you gave me your actions for Round 4 in the last round (if you could refrain from this, it keeps my bookkeeping a little easier when trying to sort the results in each round, as far as who accomplished what, when I am only having to deal with that rounds actions). Needless to say, Gar acts before your 4th round actions are available and he has begun to run away from you - you are welcome to re-post and edit the actions you gave me already, if you'd like.

If I missed anyone, chime in in round 3 or begin your actions here for round 4.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Kori sees the old troll begin to run and looks to his companions. Would they still follow him if he continued the pursuit to slay this creature? Yet, the fires of combat burned in his heart and it was, after all, a troll!

He ran off in pursuit.

Kori runs after Gar
TN 9 Run +3, Size mod -4, Dim lighting -2, Spell +2
-------------------------
Action 1 - Roll(2d6)-1: 2,5,-1 Total:6 FAILED [Kori is unable to close the distance in this round to make an effective attack.]

Delay Action 2
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Jun 19, 2008, 06:38 PM #2 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008, 07:39 PM by tomcat
Iniatiative Roll(2d6)+3:
2,4,+3, +2 spell -1 Winded
Total:10

Gumbo sees the old troll start to make a run for it. "Press the Attack!"
He knows the troll is too fast for his small legs and he hopes the others can slow him down. The blade was his third weapon of choice, but now he had the chance to bring another into play.

Gumbo shifts the blade to his off hand and readys his sling (Quick Draw, free action). The whistle of stones is soon heard through the air.

"Attack you fools this is not a sporting match!"

Attack Roll 1 (2d6):
4,6,+9, +2 spell, -1 winded, +4 size
Total:24 EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS

Attack Roll2 (2d6):
5,6,+9, +2 spell, -1 winded,+4 size
Total:25 EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS

Swift Strike Attack Roll(2d6):
4,1,+9, +2 Spell, -1 Winded, +4 size
Total:19 Superior Success

DMG Rolls:
Roll 1(2d6): EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS
5,3 (I choose broken leg for my Extra)
Total:8

Roll 2 (2d6): EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS
3,4, (Break the other leg)
Total:7

Roll(2d6)+0:
2,6,+1 ( 1d6 for 5 points above target number)
Total:9

OOC: Tomcat, I think I figured that all out correctly....

The whistle of the sling was drowned out by the breaking noise the stones made when they slammed into even the thick hide of the troll. The running battle further into the woods, would no longer be neccessary.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

donimator

"All this yelling will attract half of the forest" Turumarth thinks to himself, "...moreso than this beacon of light."

Turumarth stands with his back to the tree where the ponies are tethered. He stands ready this round and listens to those pursuing the troll.

GandalfOfBorg

Jun 20, 2008, 01:09 PM #4 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008, 08:09 PM by tomcat
OOC: Listed in my post from the previous round
init - Roll(2d6)+2: 5,6,+2 Total:13

Not one to leave family alone in a fight, Nori followed as fast as his dwarf legs could carry him.

1) Run - (5+3)+2-2+3 Courage=11
2) AC: Axes - Roll(2d6)+12: 1,1,+12 Total:14 FUMBLE
Roll(1d6)+0: 4,+0 Total:4   TOTAL: 10
Damage: Roll(2d6)+6: 2,4,+6 Total:12

Init) Roll(2d6)+2: 6,3,+2 Total:11
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Initiative Roll: Roll(2d6)+2: 1,5,+2 Total:8

Vári started jogging behind the Company, but he still wasn't convinced that they needed to keep attacking the troll; the creature would remember the pain it suffered at their hands and he worried that the din of combat might still bring even less savory folk to their camp... their camp, which would be ripe for the picking if they kept pursuing Old Gar much farther.

Vári didn't pick up the pace, trying to be ready to assist if necessary, but keeping one eye upon their campsite; not wanting to let it fade from his vision completely.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Cut

Caranmîr silently and slowly withdraws towards the campfire, looking for an opportunity to speak with Turumarth. He leans heavily on the Staff.

Elrohir

Initiative
Roll(2d6)+0:
4,3,+0
Total:7+2(mod)+2(spell)-2(tired)=9

"Wait, I feel some truth in his words about the treasure.  Surly we can just stun him, do we really have to kill something that is begging for mercy."  With that he wipes the blood off his sword on the grass at his feet, and starts walking towards the ponies, making sure everything was there.  I don't want to watch the killing of a begging troll.

Persuasion
Roll(2d6)+0:
4,4,+0
Total:8+2(spell)-2(tired)+6(skill)=14 (if needed to persuade his companions)

tomcat

[OOC:] Sorry for the delays guys - I have been brushing up on the mass-combat system in the Helms Deep sourcebook for the battle about to occur in my game above. That and hanging with my wife and friends on the 360, I have been delayed.

Anyway, I will have a new post up this afternoon and move our story on.

tomcat

Jun 24, 2008, 08:08 PM #9 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008, 08:12 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Okay... again, I apologize!  ;D

Let's start...

Quote from: GumboDMG Rolls:
Roll 1(2d6): EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS
5,3 (I choose broken leg for my Extra)
Total:8

Roll 2 (2d6): EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS
3,4, (Break the other leg)
Total:7

Hey Telcontar, I am fine with you picking the desired result (i.e. crippling wound, but as Narrator, I will define what that wound will be based on context and a slight bit of possibility. So you gave Gar two crippling wounds, read the narrative below to see how I am playing it out.

And GoB, on your double 1's roll... I have changed my house rule to make it a cascading d6 in the negative for double 1's, as it is for the positive for double 6's. Rolling a 6 in either case will incur another roll of the dice for the detriment, or benefit respectively. I updated your post.

Kori and Nori both ran into the dark, out of the light of Turumarth's magic and both felt an instant chill, as if the winter forest could now grab them. Gar lumbered before them at a pace, but he was not going fast enough. The old troll turned to look back, and was at that moment struck by the rapid fire slingshots of the skilled Gumbo. The hobbit had unleashed a flurry of stones and two caught Gar in the eyes, the third hitting his forehead and splitting the skin. Blinded and bleeding even more, he fell to the ground crashing ruin on the light foliage beneath the trees. Gar writhed on the ground and held his face where his eyes once were...

Kori caught up to the thrashing troll and raised his axe. It was beasts such as this that had been enemies to his people for millenia, yet the craftsman paused once more. Nori was close by and he did what his uncle could not do. The axe had a secret name carved in the runes that laced its metal sides, but in the Sindarin tongue it was called Carchrog, the Demon Fang. Nori brought the weapon up and down in a swift, yet unclean stroke and it chopped into Gar's form causing the troll to cry out once more and then stop moving. Nori yanked the weapon free and with it came a long breath from the monster.

There were numerous wounds, the most devastating from Gumbo Bellybottom - Gar did not stir again. The troll lay amidst the tree roots, his hands over his ruined eyes, and his body spilling the remaining life blood. The two Dwarves knew that with morning, if he still lived, the sun would finish the work needing done.

In a raspy croak, Kori said to Nori, "Let us keep an eye on it tonight, in case it is acting possum - but let the sun finish it. We have done enough."

The old craftsman turned back towards his camp and towards the Company he had hired, all the while he wondered if any would follow him into the nightmare that would be Moria.

[OOC:] Dialogue please... I will be starting a new thread tomorrow based on your conversations now.  ;)

donimator

Quote from: Cut on Jun 22, 2008, 05:34 AM
Caranmîr silently and slowly withdraws towards the campfire, looking for an opportunity to speak with Turumarth. He leans heavily on the Staff.
Turumarth whistles quietly as he steps away from the tree to capture Caranmîr's attention, though he is sure the elf had seen him in the shadow of the tree. He talks low despite the continued din of battle down the path.

"A decidely different style of fighting than what I am used to from my time with your people. If we reach Moria we may have to keep some on a leash...lest they disappear down a tunnel never to be seen again."

Cut

Jun 25, 2008, 07:34 AM #11 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2008, 08:57 AM by Cut
The sounds of battle yet again reached the keen ears of the Elf.
He had turned away from the hunt, not sure what more he could do to stop the slaughter and not willing to stand against the companions once more.
Shocked about the ferocity, Caranmîr had returned to the campfire and there rested heaily on his staff. Turumarth, the human mage, standing close at hand near a tree, gave him a short wistle and started talking to him. As he ended, Caranmîr took a moment to consider the words.

"You speak true, my friend!" the Elf replies in a subdued and small voice. Caranmîr looked around. "The disgust the Dwarves harbour against Trolls is well known to me. But did you see the hatred and the fighting prowess of that halfling? I have to admit, that I do not know much about his kind, but it seems to be full of surprises," he paused, then continued "and not all of them sould be expected to be good ones. We shall have to keep an Eye on the Hobbit, more than on the Dwarves."

Telcontar

Jun 25, 2008, 12:50 PM #12 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2008, 12:53 PM by Telcontar
OOC: Roger that on the crits man im cool with it.

Gumbo satisfied that the job was done returned the sling to his belt before addressing those behind him.

"You think me a savage, or some brute Easterling? Are you daft? All of you? The man of Lake Town does not have the experience of the world to know better, but I would think that a besieged Elf of the Woodland Realm would know better whether he spent all his time in a library or not! Or a battle scarred scion of Aule, Vari. What would your kin do if they came across this troll in his liar? How many good folk in the long years of this beast have fallen prey to its appetites? Or do you think that the treasure he promised us is the result of a long forgotten lost and found he keeps along the road? How many of us would be jam in his belly if the fancy took him or our numbers fewer? Do not presume to come between me and the spawn of the shadow ever again. This is a war, this beast is the spawn of the Nameless Enemy, Master of the Lord of the Black Land and banished by the gods, it does not deserve our mercy or our compassion. And I will not shirk my duty to the House of Durin or the Lords of the West by letting it continue to foul the land with its existence if I can cast it down. You should know better, and if not either your wisdom or fidelity is suspect.

If we are to enter the black pit and return again such misplaced emotions, or belief that our opponents deserve honor or quarter, must be set aside. You doubt the wisdom or sincerity of my words but when you hold the wreck of a cherished friend in your arms after an ambush, or feel the slick sticky gore of your own body upon a pike and then you will know I speak the truth. Many are the people of this world who sleep soundly and safely because there are those who hunt these beasts. You are now in the company of the later rather than the former. Anyone who feels uneasy about doing such things should consider returning to town, because I can promise you one thing, when the black pit of Moria is staring into your soul and the rocks abound with the demon crawling orcs you'll whisper to Elbereth for the courage to continue and praise Orome that you have friends with the courage to fight to the end by your side."

Gumbo wiped down his short sword and then sheathed it. As Kori approached from the night he addressed him, "Captain, we have been lax on our guard believing that the danger would be in the shadowed halls, this proves otherwise. I recommend we take turns guarding the camp with the elf so that we have two sentries, one can be overpowered with none to raise the alarm. Also, it maybe of some benefit to track this troll back to his liar and see if there is anything of use for us. Their plunders can be great and useful depending on their age. If you desire it I'll put my armour on and go with whomever you desire to send."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Cut

[OOC: I don't think that Gumbo could have overheard the words exchanged between Turumath and Caranmîr]

Telcontar

OOC: I typed this up last week before the words were spoken and were a result of the actions of the characters and not the things that they said.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear