• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 10:39 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Forest Encounter - Round 2

Started by tomcat, Jun 08, 2008, 07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 08, 2008, 07:15 AM Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 09:04 AM by tomcat
Situation: The Company is suddenly awakened by the approach of two fell-creatures - Old Gar and Spindel - each with its own intent.

Situational Modifiers: Dim Lighting (-2 test modifier) will affect all outside the yellow ring (map shows extent of lighting); Turumarth's spell has granted all characters a +2 bonus to all tests for the spell duration.

Both creatures are standard hit points and wound levels, and their defenses are:

Troll = 10 [Size = Large, Defence is reduced by 2 for each level smaller than Large]
Spider = 11 [Size = Large, Defence is reduced by 2 for each level smaller than Large]

Physical Modifiers: Weariness penalties as follows (forgot these in round 1, but no biggie): Gumbo and Vári are -1 Winded; Beren, Kori, Turumarth are -2 Tired. Spindel is Injured -3.

Initiative:
Caranmîr - 11
Gumbo - 11
Vari - 10
Beren - 9
Turumarth - 9
Old Gar - 9
Kori - 6
Spindel - 5
Nori -
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jun 08, 2008, 01:46 PM #1 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008, 01:47 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Cut on Jun 08, 2008, 08:22 AM
May I respectfully ask, why Caranmîr is considered to be tired? He has had his rest period prior to standing watch...

[OOC:] Oops! Sorry Nico, you are right. I forgot the Elf slept before taking watch. Setup has been corrected. ;D

Also, anytime you guys roll an initiative roll higher than the bad guys, feel free to give me your actions. I will take them in order of initiative and apply. Of course, you may also wait to see what other people before you do if you want.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Jun 08, 2008, 03:14 PM #2 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008, 05:11 PM by tomcat
Gumbo smiled as he closed in on the Troll. It had been a long time since he had been in a fight, he thought that he would be better off with his spear, but as that was holding up the tarp he would have to make do with his dagger.

"BARRUK KUDUK!"

OOC: Gumbo will make two attacks with his actions and use his Swift Strike action to dodge:

Dodge: Roll(3d6)4,3,2, (best two Evasion) 4,3 +2 Dodge, +3 Dodge Feat
Total:12

Attack One:Roll(2d6):
1,1,+5(AC:Blades) -5, -1 winded, -0 Night eyed,
Total:1

Attack Two Roll(2d6)+4:
3,2,+4
Total:9 [This roll is a success due to the Size modifier of +4 - you may roll damage]

I believe those will miss
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jun 08, 2008, 05:03 PM #3 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008, 05:51 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Hey Telcontar, just so you know, even though the rules state you have to pre-call a dodge or parry action, I don't require it. You may make your dodges or parries as needed if you get hit (choosing the better option when the time comes) but you don't have to pre-roll them. It is always smart to save an action or two for defense, so you don't suffer the -5 multiple action penalties, but again, they don't have to be pre-called.

Here is a few house rules I want to bring to the fore though, because some of you are new to my games:

• Double 1's - like double sixes that cascade additional dice rolls for the positive, double 1's do so for the negative. If double 1's are rolled, roll an additional d6 and subtract the results. If a six is rolled in this case, the dice is rolled again and that number is also reduced from the roll, and so on. This has the potential of making a result disastrous for the very unlucky.
  • Offensive actions limit - In combat, I limit the number of offensive actions a character may make to their total action allowance per round (2 + any order/trait/racial modifiers). Defensive actions can go until the Multiple Action Penalty makes the attempts moot. Why I do this is stop a PC (with 2 actions) from coming out and making 5 attacks in one round even though the last three are at a -5, -10, and -15 respectively.

Instead, a character (with two actions) can only come out swinging twice but may make as many parries as he/she may need, even though these may cause the mulitple action penalty.

Anyway, I have made a change to your double 1's attack, and you can keep the dodge, hold the action, or do as you want. Anyone has questions, give me a shout.

Cut

Jun 09, 2008, 07:15 AM #4 Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 09:10 AM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Jun 08, 2008, 01:46 PM
Quote from: Cut on Jun 08, 2008, 08:22 AM
May I respectfully ask, why Caranmîr is considered to be tired? He has had his rest period prior to standing watch...

[OOC:] Oops! Sorry Nico, you are right. I forgot the Elf slept before taking watch. Setup has been corrected. ;D

[OOC: Thanks, Doug :) No harm done, anyway!
I have a question (might be stupid though): When making an armed attack with a weapon you have a sepcialty in, you gain the benefit of the Atr. Mod (if any), the Skill rank AND the +2 for the specialty? If so, Caranmîr would gain +6 for any attack roll made with his Staff (+2 Nimble Mod / +2 ranks / +2 specialty). Is this right?
I'm confused and can't make hands and tails of it, right now...Anyway]

As Caranmîr sees the Spider taking two hits of Nori's expertly swung Axe, he presses the groups offensive against the beast and tries two hit it with his Mirkwood Staff. As he is expecting the beast to be really aggressive right about now, he considers to fight the creature defensively, but then he feels surprisingly resolute, grips his Staff firmly in both his hands and makes a two-handed attack. (He suffers a -2 to his defence for this...)

Spider's Defence: 11 + 2 for Dim Lighting --> TN 13

Roll(2d6)+6:
5,4,+6
Total:15 +2 for Turumarth's spell benefit

A Hit! The two handed attack grants +4 damage. A staff normally deals 2d6 + 2

Roll(2d6)+2:
3,3,+2
Total:8 (+4 Two-handed attack) --> Total of 12 points of damage.

Caranmîr's second blow of the fight connects solidly with the Spider's body.

[OOC: I shall reserve one action, to be able to get out of harms way. The Staff grants Caranmîr a Parry Bonus of +2 which will be negated by his using a two-handed attack...]

tomcat

Jun 09, 2008, 09:09 AM #5 Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 09:11 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] You have the skill and mods correct, Nico. Remember also that when you use a skill untrained (those that may be use un-trained), you need to apply a -2 penalty.

Also, you guys are all within the yellow circle on the map, which reflects the range of Turumarth's spell. It is outside this yellow ring that the Dim Lighting penalty applies. The spell also grants a +2 test bonus while it lasts, so you can add that in too.

Finally, you get a size benefit when attacking creatures larger than you, so a +2 to attack (actually, this is a -2 to the creatures defence, but it's six of one, half dozen of another).

Spindel attempts to parry Caranmîr:
TN 17 AC +8, Specialty +2, Injured -3
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+5: 2,1,+7 Total:10 FAILED [Spindel takes 12 -3 armour = 9 damage (Wounded -5)]

Gar attempts to parry Gumbo:
TN 9 AC +7, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+9: 5,4,+9 Total:18 [SUCCESS]

Spindel was not prepared for the onslaught of attacks, having only wanted to drop in and grab quick prey. Her wounds pained her and she now only wished to get away!

Not far away, Gumbo tripped up on his first swing and only managed to hack his sword into Gar's club with his second stroke.

sdrotar

Jun 09, 2008, 09:44 AM #6 Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 01:09 PM by tomcat
Vári bared his teeth, pleased that his blows had struck the spider so soundly. As the Elf, Caranmîr, further prodded the beast with his staff, Vári raised his axe high above his head, looking to press his attack and end the arachnid's miserable existence.

AC (Battle Axe) w/mods +14, Winded -1, Night-Eyed edge negates Darkness penalty. TOTAL +13

Action 1 (Attack Spider): Roll(2d6)+13: 4,2,+13 Total:19
Damage (if successful): Roll(2d6)+10: 2,4,+10 Total:16

Action 2 (Attack Spider): Roll(2d6)+13: 4,1,+13 Total:18
Damage (if successful): Roll(2d6)+10: 6,3,+10 Total:19

Action 3 (Attack Spider) (via Swift Strike Edge): Roll(2d6)+13: 1,1,+13 Total:15 (Double 1's: -2) = 13
Damage (if successful): Roll(2d6)+10: 6,2,+10 Total:18

Next Round Initiative: Roll(2d6)+2:3,2,+2 Total:7 (Winded -1) = 6

OOC: Please use the following narrative if Vári's clumsy third strike even occurs at all:

The Dwarf hacked furiously at the spider, without a care for his own well-being. The ichor that spurted from the sickly carapace of the beast was flung here and there, and it had worked its way down Vári's axe to its handle.
On his final swing, he panicked a bit as he felt the heavy weapon begin to slide from his grip, and he barely retained it; the blade swung dangerously close to the entangled Nori as he followed through. He cursed aloud to himself and wound his hands tighter around the handle as he raised it once more.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Elrohir

Jun 09, 2008, 09:48 AM #7 Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 05:16 PM by Elrohir
Beren's eyes glow as he sees his opportunity to make a hit on the old troll.  He grips both of his hands to his sword, and brings it crashing down.

Two handed attack
Roll(2d6)+0:
3,6,+0
Total:9-0(night eyed)+8(mod)+2(specialty)+2(two handed)-2(tired)+2(spell)=21

Damage(if hit)
Roll(2d6)+0:
4,2,+0
Total:6+2(mod)+1(doughty)+2(spell?)=11

Initative
Roll(2d6)+0:
3,2,+0
Total:5+2(mod)-2(tired)+2(spell)=7

OOC:I think I did this right, make changes as necessary

Cut

Quote from: tomcat on Jun 09, 2008, 09:09 AM
[OOC:] You have the skill and mods correct, Nico. Remember also that when you use a skill untrained (those that may be use un-trained), you need to apply a -2 penalty.

[OOC: Thank you, Doug. Sometimes I just mix things up in my head. :) But there are still more questions on my mind. Let's say, that Spindel decides to attack Caranmîr and he is using his left action trying to parry her attack with the benefit of his Staff. He would gain a parry bonus for the weapon (+2) that would be 'eaten away' by the two-handed-attack penalty (-2). The parry result would thus be derived by an Armed Combat skill test with the Staff, giving Caranmîr 2d6+6 ? Or am I finally making a mistake here?! ;) Nevertheless, Caranmîr is going to parry any incoming attack by Spindel, as to see how things work.]

donimator

Turumarth peers through the smoke of the fire to where Beren, Kori and Gumbo have engaged the troll at the edge of the light. With a glance to the glowing ball above (duration lowest of the two spells? - 1 round per point of Bearing - 8 rounds?) he turns to the closer threat of the large spider.

Turumarth draws a dagger from his belt (1 action) and hurls it in the spider's direction:

Ranged Attack Test - thrown dagger
Roll modifiers: +2 spell effect, -2 tired, +1 skill, +2 specialty = +3
TN 11, -2 size, +0 range (short? <10 yards?) = 9
Roll: 4,4 +3 = 11 (hit?)
if hit, dmg = 1d6+2 = 2 +2 = 4

Round 3 init roll
Roll modifers - Init +2, spell effect +2, tired -2 = +2
Roll: 3,4 +2 = 9

GandalfOfBorg

Jun 09, 2008, 07:04 PM #10 Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 07:07 PM by GandalfOfBorg
Nori takes one more swipe at the spider net holding him and he is free.  'Now to deal with you, you sack of venomous bile!'

1) Base damage greater than 5 pts left on spider web
2) AC: Axes: Battle-axe = Roll(2d6)+12: 4,6,+12 Total:22 EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS
Damage: Roll(2d6)+6: 4,6,+6 Total:16
Extra Damage: Roll(2d6)+0: 4,5,+0 Total:9    TOTAL DAMAGE: 25
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Spindel could not believe in her malignant thoughts the trap she had dropped herself into, and as her life started to leave her - with every smashing blow - she hissed out her hatred at all living things. and then moved no more.

Nori pulled off the remaining tendrils of web from his beard and hair, standing as he did. The trio looked at the ruined remains of the giant spider then quickly looked out to the darkness of the forest, wondering if she were the only one. They heard nothing, except of course, their companions struggling with the large hill troll a short distance away.

Gar attempts to parry Beren:
TN 21 AC +7, Specialty +2
Action 2 - Roll(2d6)+9: 2,3,+9 Total:14 FAILED [11 -2 thick skin = 9]

Gar attacks Beren:
TN 12 AC +7, Specialty +2, Size mod -2, MAP -5
Action 3 - Roll(2d6)+2: 2,3,+2 Total:7 FAILED

Kori attacks Gar:
TN 10 AC +10, Specialty +2, Size mod +4, spell +2, tired -2
Action 1 - Roll(2d6)+16: 3,2,+16 Total:21 [EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS] [full weapon damage - 2 thick skin = 16]
Action 2 - Roll(2d6)+16: 2,1,+16 Total:19 [SUCCESS] [16 - 2 thick skin = 14]

Gar has taken 39 hit points which reduces him to Dazed -1, but his hardy edge negates penalty.

"OOWW!" yelled Gar as the weapons began to strike him and slash through his tough old hide. He had just wanted the ponies, not to get into a fight that might cost him his old life. "Stop it!" he pleaded to the company.

Cut

Initiative Roll for Caranmîr:

2d6 + 2

Roll(2d6)+2:
4,6,+2
Total:12