• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 05:54 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Forest Encounter - Round 1

Started by tomcat, May 31, 2008, 10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

May 31, 2008, 10:03 AM Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 06:39 AM by tomcat
Situation: The Company is suddenly awakened by the approach of two fell-creatures - Old Gar and Spindel - each with its own intent.

Situational Modifiers: Dim Lighting (-2 test modifier) will affect all within the fire ring's radius, and Darkness (-5 test modifier) outside that ring (map shows extent of lighting)

Also, although the Company was not caught in complete surprise - some PC's made their Observe tests - still, Gar and Spindle will get to act first. Your initiative rolls will put you in order of each other. The new round will allow for standard initiative.

Both creatures are standard hit points and levels.

Physical Modifiers:

Initiative:
Old Gar - auto
Spindel - auto
Gumbo - 12 (1 action)
Nori - 12 (2 actions)
Caranmîr - 10 (2 actions)
Beren - 10 (1 action)
Kori - 10 (1 action)
Turumarth - 7 (2 actions)
Vari - 5
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

May 31, 2008, 07:18 PM #1 Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 12:33 PM by tomcat
Her name was Spindel, and Gumbo opened his eyes to see her looking down upon him from the branches above. As the Hobbit called out, Spindel dropped her net and waited momentarily to pounce.

Meanwhile, Old Gar stumbled through the darkness to try and quickly grab up one (or two) of the ponies and then get away. Though he did not fear the Dwarves, he did not have any desire to fight them... at least not tonight.

Spindel ranged attack with net:
TN 8 - Size mod +4, Advantageous position -6, Nori prone -2 Ranged Attack +7, Specialty +2
-------------------------
Action 1 - Roll(2d6)+9: 5,3,+9 Total:17 [SUCCESS] [may only be dodged; if unsuccesful, Nori will be entangled and may only get out by making a TN 15 Strength test to pull apart the web, or by delivering damage of 20 to cut the way out (no attack roll necessary, just roll weapon damage) - all choices costs one action each]

Action 2 - Spindel will hold action 2 until she sees if Nori is entangled.

Old Gar moves this round to get in close to the ponies... (2 actions). At the beginning of next round, if he makes a successful grab on a pony, he will then run away with it.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jun 04, 2008, 05:23 PM #2 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2008, 05:33 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] As I had stated, I want to be fair to Gumbo because Telcontar did pre-state that he was sleeping under a tarp. This being said, Spindel is not a dumb hunter and so would have picked a target of convenience - someone not sleeping under a tent-like structure, under the branches, and one not larger than a hobbit or dwarf... this leaves Nori.

So, I am sorry to re-arrange things here, but I am taking a mulligan - call it a Narrator Screw Up!  ;D

Matt, Spindel will be dropping her net on Nori who is next in line.

I am going to negate Gumbo's see roll for the same reason that he was not attacked - being under a tent - and thus he does not see Spindel above him. But, with Vari's success, the spider is still spotted and alarm is raised. I have also deleted everyones post from the current round so feel free to start over.

Now to answer a couple questions...

Quote from: GoBOOC: Would that require two actions or just one?

No Matt, it will only take 1 Action to cover the distance to the ponies.

Quote from: Cut[OOC:] Tomcat: Is the Spider already upon Gumbo? Or could I risk a shot while she is coming down without fear of hitting Gumbo? If I could make a "secure" shot, I'd like to do that. If not...

No, as you probably read above, I have changed the attack based on Gumbo's pre-stated sleeping arrangement. It has dropped its net and is pouncing on Nori.

And Shawn, I changed your post from the previous thread because Spindel is all alone... well save for the troll, but they are not in cahoots!  ;)

GandalfOfBorg

Nori's last-minute attempt to avoid the trap was in vain and so he began hacking his way out.  'Oi! You blimey attercop, come down and face me proper!  I would pit my demon's fang against a spider's any day!"

TN 17 Dodge - (4+2)+5=11  FAILED!
Damage: (5+4)+6=15
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

[OOC:] Nice replacement post Matt... thanks for making the changes.

sdrotar

Vári saw the sticky web fall upon Nori and he finally sprang into action, hefting his axe and heading right for the offending creature.

OOC: Vári has two actions this round because he made his Observe roll, right? Two last-place actions, but still!
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

OOC: OK, no problems. Whats the iniative roll and action allocation? Maybe a revised situation with order sequence and action ability is in order so that we can cut this confusion extra stuff out and do the famous kick ball do over.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Cut

Caranmîr immediately tries to come to Nori's aid. Grabbing his Staff, the Elf launches an attack against the Spider.

Cut

Attack roll against the Spider.

Roll(2d6)+4:
3,3,+4
Total:10 (applying - 2 for bad lights)

--> 8

Elrohir

Jun 05, 2008, 11:29 AM #9 Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 01:17 PM by tomcat
Beren notices the troll heading towards the ponies.  He decides Nori and Caramir can handle the spider (hopefully) so he starts running towards the ponies, drawing his sword as he goes.

donimator

Hearing his companions stir, Turumarth casts off his cloak and stands ready with staff. He keeps his back to the fire, unable to see anything in the dark. His ears catch the crashing footsteps of something large in the dry underbrush, while the realization of another movement in the trees to his right reminds him of previous adventures with the Woodland Realm elves.

"Let's cast a bit of light on this subject..."

Turumarth tries to combine cast Create Light and Evoke Awe (2 actions)
Weariness TN: Higher spell (Evoke Awe - 10) +3 = 13
--------------------
Roll modifiers: Willpower +3, Secret Fire Specialty +2, Tired -2 --> +3
Roll: 6,2 +3 = 11 (use 1 Courage pt +3) = 14 (success)

Turumarth intoned the difficult words of the spell. If any had time to pause they would here his voice deeper, more powerful than imagined. Motioning with staff and arm he traced delicate patterns in the air. Slowly, forcefully he mastered his actions and a brilliant point of light rose from his staff end to hover in the air. It's glow diminished some as it slowly expanded. Intricate patterns and forms coursed its surface causing even Turumarth a moment's pause to consider what he was creating. A fruit of Laurelin, a gift from the West, shone and illuminated him in terrible fury.

"Lacho calad! Drego morn! Begone creatures of Shadow! Delay not our purpose lest the very light of Anor pierces your hide!

(Per tomcat, Turumarth can attempt an Inspire test at TN 13 to give a +2 bonus to all companions who can see the light as long as it remains)

Inspire test - TN 13
--------
Roll modifiers: +1 attribute, -2 untrained, Tired -2 --> -3
Roll: 5,5 -3 = 7 (Use 2 Courage pts +6) = 13 (Marg. success)

{OOC}Since I was next to last in the round, I guess it will be the next round before any benefit - +2 to all tests for those that can see the light.

tomcat

Jun 05, 2008, 01:09 PM #11 Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 01:28 PM by tomcat
Seeing Nori was in fact entangled, Spindel drops down on him, a large, hairy, eight-legged horror. The weight of her mass causes the air in the dwarf to expel in a gasp.

Kori also woke. He saw the situation with his nephew and that most of their comrades were there to assist. The craftsman's main fears were his ponies, and so ran to defend them.

Action 2: Drop on Nori and attempts to bite him

Armed Combat (Fangs) attack:
TN 12 AC +8, Specialty +2, Size Mod -4, Advantageous position +6, MAP -5
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+7: 1,1,+7 Total:9 -1 = 8 FAILED [pathetic  :'( ]

Kori runs to aid ponies (2 actions)

[OOC:]

Quote from: VariOOC: Vári has two actions this round because he made his Observe roll, right?

You are correct sir!

Quote from: GumboOOC: OK, no problems. Whats the iniative roll and action allocation?

Action allowance and initiative order is shown above.

Quote from: Turumarth{OOC}Since I was next to last in the round, I guess it will be the next round before any benefit - +2 to all tests for those that can see the light.

That is correct too! I updated your character sheet for the 2 courage spent on the Inspire. Also, the spell light has removed all lighting penalties inside the circle and reduced the penalty to -2 outside the circle (see attached pic).  ;D

Quote from: CutAttack roll against the Spider.

Roll(2d6)+4: 3,3,+4 Total:10 (applying - 2 for bad lights)
--> 8

Hey Nico, her Defence is 11 which would be reduced by 2 for the Size mod, so your 8 is still a miss... sorry.

Telcontar

Gumbo jumps out from under his tarp and draws his short sword (free action Quick Draw) and moves in the direction of the ogre.

OOC: Not sure on the distance to the ogre but Gumbo will use his full move to get as close as possible and use his Swift Strike extra action to dodge if he is attacked.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

[OOC:] I am waiting on Vari's actions to end this round. I am going to post the new round thread, but I need initiative from everyone.

Cut

Caranmîr tried to come to Nori's help as fast as he could. In the heat of the moment, one of the first battles he ever joined, he swings his Staff of Mirkwood Wood against the Spider, but misses the beast by a bit. At least he might have gained the creatures attention, and so might have bought Nori a bit more time to cut himself free from the Spider's web.

Initiative Roll for 2nd round:

Roll(2d6)+2
5,4,+2
Total:11