• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:43 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

To leave Ilanin

Started by tomcat, May 14, 2008, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

May 14, 2008, 05:39 PM Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:41 PM by tomcat
There was an almost imperceptible moan that was heard in the darkness (for Edrahil's magic had faded with the collapse of the building). Fengel and Dirnhael scrambled to remove the debris from their friend and soon he was uncovered.

Edrahil's eyes flickered open and he hesitantly whispered, "Feennggel... Dirnhaael... I fear... I am not much longer... for this world. I believe that Mandos calls..."

The two men had seen the Sindar wounded before, but never had his spirit seemed quenched. In the darkness and rain, the flame that burned inside Edrahil appeared to be fading.

Durgil made the rest of the journey in silence and unmolested. He came once more before the tall walls of the Lord Mayor's residence and keep. The Ilanin guards stood more at the ready than they had prior, and there was a great deal more of them. One approached the Dúnadan, spear and shield at the ready, "You will make your way back to your home this night! The Mayor will see no one! If you resist, we will kill you!"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

May 15, 2008, 05:19 PM #1 Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:27 PM by GandalfOfBorg
Durgil did not back down. "I am Durgil, Lord of Arthedain.  My name and words have surely spread through this house.  I have tidings that the Mayor must hear, willing or no.  Do you see this blade I wield?  It's tongue has tasted the life blood a man just doing the malicious and misguided bidding of his master.  Yours is just as misguided if you heed not my words; I did not come all this way to be turned away at the gate.  War has touched Ilanin and is coming this way whether you like it or not."  The Dunadan's eyes blazed with a zealous fire.  "If you value your homes and families, you will stand aside and take me to your lord!"

Intimidate (Power) - (5+5)+6+2=18
OOC: I will use a Courage point if it will help
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

May 20, 2008, 04:45 PM #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:48 PM by tomcat
The man was cowed by Durgil's will. He flustered and looked about to try and strengthen his resolve by his men about, but none met his eyes.

"I will take you... though I cannot promise you how you shall be received or what may befall you!"

With that he turned and led the Dúnadan once more into the large manse, to take him before the Lord Mayor of Ilanin. Durgil saw again that the town official still sat within his opulence, drinking wine and being entertained by a young woman dancer. A large fire burnt within a hearth and warmed the room and took the chill from the sodden warrior noble.

It took a few moments before Korman even noticed their presence, but then, "Wha...?? Who disturbs me! When I said that none were to bother me this eve!"

Dirnhael and Fengel lifted the wounded Elf, whose body was much lighter than they expected for one of Edrahil's stature, and carried him to a more comfortable and dry location. The Sindar said nothing more, though his breathing was laboured.

From the rubble and darkness came a gurgling laugh. The two men walked over to see that life remained within the werewolf, and its hatred still showed on its gleeful face. The canine snout was drawn back in a horrid smile and Koskas' eyes shone feral. When the werewolf saw his enemy, he choked a strong laugh through hiss sharp teeth, "It has been a pleasure to raze your lands straw-hair! Though I am soon to fade from this realm, I will go with the pleasure of knowing that more will burn before it is done."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Fengel's eyes grew wide with anger.  He turned to Dirnhael as his hands went to his sword, waiting only a moment for his lord's approval to slay this wretched beast.

GandalfOfBorg

"Lady, you may retire.  The lord no longer requires your services this night," says Durgil in a cooly even tone.  "Lord Mayor, a term I use loosely, it seems you have forgotten the warning that I gave yester eve about associations with the East-men and war.  If you had taken but a moment to step beyond the grotesque of this room, you would have discovered what dire straits your town is in.  The Easterlings have crossed the river in number to march upon Eotheod, their master's minions terrorize your people, and I have slain or driven off a number just to get to your 'hospitable' door.  My comrades are off facing the dangers to the town but I have not seen a response of strength and compassion from this town's Master.  All I've seen is base man sucking from the teat of his base desires."
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on May 20, 2008, 04:45 PM
From the rubble and darkness came a gurgling laugh. The two men walked over to see that life remained within the werewolf, and its hatred still showed on its gleeful face. The canine snout was drawn back in a horrid smile and Koskas' eyes shone feral. When the werewolf saw his enemy, he choked a strong laugh through hiss sharp teeth, "It has been a pleasure to raze your lands straw-hair! Though I am soon to fade from this realm, I will go with the pleasure of knowing that more will burn before it is done."

Quote from: Palandil on May 20, 2008, 04:52 PM
Fengel's eyes grew wide with anger.  He turned to Dirnhael as his hands went to his sword, waiting only a moment for his lord's approval to slay this wretched beast.

"Then take your pleasure quickly," he spat at Koskas, pain wracking his body.
Dirnhael nodded to Fengel and turned back to Edrahil before hearing the sickening crunch from Fengel's blade that would end the werewolf's life.

His dear friend's breathing was ragged, and Dirnhael feared for him. He hoped that Edrahil simply despaired at his wounds, because the Dunadan could not imagine life without him and his sage counsel. He rested a hand upon Edrahil's forehead to help soothe him and used the tattered fabric from both their clothes, still moist with rain, to bind what wounds he could.

"Your time is not nigh," he said quietly. "Many years await you before you retire to the West."
He whispered the rest, more to himself than to Edrahil: "Stay."

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

May 21, 2008, 02:51 PM #6 Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 02:54 PM by tomcat
Fengel wiped the black gore of the werewolf from Cerduil and turned back to Dirnhael, who now kneeled over the wounded Elf. The Éothraim began to walk the distance to where his friends were when dark shadows ran into the ruined square. All were dressed in dark clothes, made moreso by the rain and each had a black sash tied around his face. The figures had weapons exposed ranging from spears to longswords and they skidded to a halt when they saw the ruin of the building and Fengel standing before them.

The shock of seeing each other made both Fengel and the new arrivals draw their weapons up into defensive positions. The Éothraim  made a quick count and saw that there was at least a dozen.

Korman stared incredulously at Durgil. How dare anyone come into his house and say such things!

"Who do you think you ARE!?" yelled the mayor. The slight female quickly slid into the shadows to hide. Korman's guards took up positions around Durgil, though none drew weapons... yet.

"Oooh yes, I know of you folk... mighty men of fallen Númenor!" Korman sneered. "You come here and lay judgement and pry into the affairs that are not yours, and you do it thinking that you are wanted! Do you think that I do not know the threat to my town and our way of life? It is not the folks of Ilanin that are stirring problems with these outlanders from Rhûn - it seems to me, from what tales I have heard on the streets, it is you and your band!

"Ilanin has stood here for ages, the crossroads of cultures and business... long before the coming of you folk out of the west. It has lasted because the leadership has never involved itself in the squabbles of its neighbors - a tradition that I intend to wholly follow. What you will find is that when these barbarians of the east go, and you too have taken up the road, we shall still be here, doing business in peace. And you will find that that is the wish of those who live here and those who travel to sell their wares!

"So my upstart young noble of Arthedain, your kingdom and rule is far from here and if you do not wish to die an old man in my cells, you will take yourself quickly from my presence!"

With that said, Korman leered into Durgil's eyes - a contest of wills going on before all of the soldiers within the hall.

Korman's contest of will:
TN n/a Bearing +2
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+2: 6,3,+2 Total:11 +6 Courage = 17 [good roll, thought I'd sweeten it since Korman feels cocky in his hall]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: I swear I rolled this...

Durgil stood there and met the gaze of his agressor, vying for supremacy.  The will of the mayor began to falter.

(Contest of Wills, rnd #1) TN 17 Willpower (6+6+5)+2=19  COMPLETE SUCCESS
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on May 21, 2008, 07:35 PM
OOC: I swear I rolled this...

[OOC:] You rolled an Intimidate to get into the manor, but this is the first challenge faced against Korman. Korman is down one Willpower.

Korman's contest of will (round 2):
TN n/a Bearing +2
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+2: 5,5,+2 Total:12

Durgil did not back down and the noble's will took Korman slightly aback, but still the silent struggle continued.

GandalfOfBorg

(Contest of Wills, rnd #2) TN 12 Willpower Roll(2d6)+2: 2,5,+2 Total:9 FAILURE
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

[OOC:] Durgil and Korman are both down one Willpower.

Korman's contest of will (round 3):
TN n/a Bearing +2
--------------------------------
Roll(2d6)+2: 4,3,+2 Total:9 +3 Courage = 12

GandalfOfBorg

May 23, 2008, 01:11 PM #11 Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:12 PM by GandalfOfBorg
OOC: Likely the deciding round...

TN 12 Willpower - (6+5)+2=13

OOC: If it will end the contest, Durgil will use his two remaining Courage.

The two wills strained for dominance over the other; palpable heat could be felt by those who witnessed the contest.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

[OOC:] Hey Matt, Korman has a Willpower of 3 so it may not be worth it to spend your points here... he has 1 Courage left, and the most you will achieve is a Complete Success. This will make him lose 1 more point and you will still have another test.

But, it is your choice of course. I am going to roll the next round, but if you wish to spend your courage for last roll, tell me and I will adjust.

Durgil down 1 Willpower, Kormand down 2.

Korman's contest of will (round 4):
TN n/a Bearing +2
--------------------------------
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,4,+2 Total:9 +3 Courage

Palandil

Quote from: tomcat on May 21, 2008, 02:51 PM
Fengel wiped the black gore of the werewolf from Cerduil and turned back to Dirnhael, who now kneeled over the wounded Elf. The Éothraim began to walk the distance to where his friends were when dark shadows ran into the ruined square. All were dressed in dark clothes, made moreso by the rain and each had a black sash tied around his face. The figures had weapons exposed ranging from spears to longswords and they skidded to a halt when they saw the ruin of the building and Fengel standing before them.
Fengel raised his sword in a defensive stance as he yelled to Dirnhael, "Get Edrahil out of here Dirnhael, I will hold them as long as I can!"

Initiative: Roll(2d6)+3: 3,3,+3 Total:9

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: No, I'll continue on, not using any Courage in round 3.

The silent battle continues as Durgil holds the gaze of the mayor.

(Round #4) TN 12 Willpower - (5+3)+2+6 Courage=15
Gwaithlim Weapons