• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 01:19 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1: Mirkwood

Started by tomcat, May 07, 2008, 12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

A hurrumpf was heard from the bowl of the tree where a small swirl of smoke could be seen curling into to air. "In no land or place that I have travled has it been considered polite to begin a story in one language understood by all and to complete it in another known to a few, and in one that is not supposed to be spoken."
     Gumbo stood and walked towards the shadows that encircled the fire. His spear stood by the rest of his gear and helm by the tree where he planned on sleeping for the night, but his short sword still hung at his side as did his sling. Picking up a stick at his feet he began to gather some deadfall so the elf could keep the fire going without straying from where the party slept. The smell of the halflings pipe could still be caught on the breeze, but he seemed to be folded and swollwed into the night
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Kori watched the halfling walk away, but then looked back at Turumarth, "Your tale was a good one. It is worthy of a beer!"

With that, Kori stood and waved for Nori to help him, "We shall tap one of the kegs and cut the dust from our tongues with a fine amber. But only one Gumbo!"

The sky above had darkened and the leaves rattled against each other, looking like cold dried hands rubbing together over the fire for warmth.

Her eyes shone with a lusty glow. The small one was so close that she could feel its heat. She kept absolutely still, though she knew in the dark and with her beautiful markings that there was no way that could it could see her. Her long, slender legs were partially stretched out as she held onto the trunk of a great tree nearby, while the main part of her body still sat camouflaged within the dried fern foliage.

"Sweet meats! Sweet treats!" she thought to herself. "Oooh how I hunger! Come closer... come closer..." Her thoughts faded into darker images of what she would do to it once it was caught in her web.

Gumbo turned at the announcement of beer and she trembled with the desire to spring on him, but she watched him go and bided her time.

Across from all, old Gar was quietly moving towards the camp. He too would wait for the Dwarves to fall asleep. Gar really had no desire to stir up the little folk - they always came with sharp sticks and metal. It was his goal to quietly slip in, grab up the ponies and be gone.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Gumbo was decidedly moody, "I would not know how the tale ended, so can not judge its merit either good or ill. I'm not thirsty." Coming from the shadow he dropped the wood loudly by the fire. "Maybe it will rain tonight and you can all grow beards as thick as the hair on my feet."
Gumbo took his spear and using it as a ridge pole set between the bowl of the tree used his tarp to construct a shelter that would keep his body heat in. His sword he unslung and rested by his side and his cloak rolled quickly and neatly into a pillow. From bellow the tarp, "Don't drink it all, the water will be cold in the mountains and undrinkable beneath."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

[OOC:] Actually, I forgot to ask but I need a Observe (Spot) TN 20 from Gumbo please... thanks.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Nori and his mood perked at the mention of tapping one of the kegs.  It been long (for him) since he'd had a mug full of cheer and he eagerly got the tap and mallet.  With one good shot and small spray of foam, the spigot was in and the amber drink soon filled the mugs of those who desired a drink.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Kori gave a great sigh at the taste of the beer, licking the foam from his moustache as he did, "Come now Hobbit... don't let your mood sour our ale!"

With his mug in hand, the craftsman returned to the fire ring and slid his boots off allowing the warmth to soothe his toes. He set the boots by the fire to allow them to dry out and then slid down into a knot of the tree to support his back.

"Does anyone else have a tale to tell, or a song to sing? Certainly you do halfling?" asked Kori, ignoring the fact that Gumbo sat under his tarp.

Telcontar

Roll(2d6)+7:
4,4,+7
Total:15

Saw Nothing
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

More grumbling was heard from under the tarp at the words of the dwarf. "The hospatality of this fire is somewhat lacking, but any tale I tell will be better ten fold and finished in a manner that everyone can enjoy."
Gumbo crawled out from under his tarp and eyeballed the offending bard on his way to the keg. "I'm only here Kori, because it doesnt taste as good after its been opened the first time." Gumbo quickly downed a draught and his mood was improved 100 fold. Refilling his mug and climbing on top of the barrel he did a quick two step and began to sing:

If I could but attain my wish,
I'd have each day one wholesome dish,
Of plain meat, or fowl, or fish.

A glass of port, with good old beer,
In winter time a fire burnt clear,
Tobacco, pipes, an easy chair.

In some clean town a snug retreat,
A little garden 'fore my gate,
With thousand pounds a year estate.

After my house expense was clear,
Whatever I could have to spare,
The neighbouring poor should freely share.

To keep content and peace through life,
I'd have a prudent cleanly wife,
Stranger to noise, and eke to strife.

Then I, when blest with such estate,
With such a house, and such a mate,
Would envy not the worldly great.

Let them for noisy honours try,
Let them seek worldly praise, while I
Unnoticed would live and die.

But since dame Fortune's not thought fit
To place me in affluence, yet
I'll be content with what I get.

He's happiest far whose humble mind,
Is unto Providence resigned,
And thinketh fortune always kind.

Then I will strive to bound my wish,
And take, instead of fowl and fish,
Whate'er is thrown into my dish.

Instead of wealth and fortune great,
Garden and house and loving mate,
I'll rest content in servile state.

I'll from each folly strive to fly,
Each virtue to attain I'll try,
And live as I would wish to die.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

donimator

As Gumbo finishes, Turumarth taps his staff against a root in applause.

"A fine wish you speak of in your song. May you find it when this adventure is through and we are all back safe near home and hearth."

Cut

Caranmîr woke up and only heard the last verses of Gumbo's song.

"Song, fire and beer." He said smiling "it seems I have missed the best part of this journey while sleeping"...

Telcontar

Gumbo his mood much enhanced by the beer, the song, and what he took for an apology laughed aloud at the group. Very well master elf, here is another one. I learned this from the queer folk of the North Farthing and has a bit of their funny speech to it. Filling his mug again he started in on a new one:

As Tom was a-walking one fine summer's morn,
When the dazies and goldcups the fields did adorn;
He met Cozen Mal, with a tub on her head,
Says Tom, 'Cozen Mal, you might speak if you we'd.'

But Mal stamped along, and appeared to be shy,
And Tom singed out, 'Zounds! I'll knaw of thee why?'
So back he tore a'ter, in a terrible fuss,
And axed cozen Mal, 'What's the reason of thus?'

'Tom Treloar,' cried out Mal, 'I'll nothing do wi' 'ee,
Go to Fanny Trembaa, she do knaw how I'm shy;
Tom, this here t'other daa, down the hill thee didst stap,
And dab'd a great doat fig in Fan Trembaa's lap.'

'As for Fanny Trembaa, I ne'er taalked wi' her twice,
And gived her a doat fig, they are so very nice;
So I'll tell thee, I went to the fear t'other day,
And the doat figs I boft, why I saved them away.'

Says Mal, 'Tom Treloar, ef that be the caase,
May the Lord bless for ever that sweet pretty faace;
Ef thee'st give me thy doat figs thee'st boft in the fear,
I'll swear to thee now, thee shu'st marry me here.'
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Kori was jiggling with deep chuckles from the halfling's song and dance, "All right master Gumbo, you've made my night! But I'ma cutting you off the ale for I told you one and you are on your third, and that yer spilling about!"

Kori finished his cup's contents and he resecured it to his pack. "We have an early start so let's save this fun for another night's rest. Nori, re-cork that keg!"

GandalfOfBorg

Nori only took mild pleasure at the halfling's antics though did agree with his uncle's sentiment about spilt ale.  A drop spilled is a drop wasted.  "Yes, uncle."  Nori wished travel would move faster as he ached to be done with the monotony of travel.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

May 29, 2008, 07:39 AM #28 Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:41 AM by tomcat
With the keg re-corked, the conversation around the fire quickly faded with the flames of the fire, leaving only bright glowing embers, and a company of snoring travelers. Over all, Caranmîr stood watch - the Elf already getting the desired rest he needed.

The loremaster took out his journal and quill and began to pen the evening's stories and songs... if for nothing more than posterity. He occassionally threw a couple small branches on the fire to both increase the light, but to also maintain the heat. Otherwise, he sat quietly with his thoughts.

At the same time, she began to move. Her legs quickly and silently drew her up into the branches of the tree above the Company where she began to weave. She would have to be quick. She knew that she would not be able to take them all, but if she could capture one and draw it off into the darkness... well it would make for a delicious night!

Poisonous fluid began to wet her fangs, as her spinnerettes released a sticky flow of web, which her back legs then weaved into a terrible net. Her eyes locked onto the location where Gumbo lay, now sleeping, and she began to position herself in the tree above him to drop her trap. She would let it fall and allow the meaty-treat to thrash about and ensnare itself... then she would pounce down and deliver a cruel, paralyzing bite. With her prey unable to resist, she could then quickly drag him off into the dark forest!

Suddenly, she felt heavy vibrations through her sensitive legs. She looked off into the dark and saw the form of old Gar approaching. "This may prove easier than first expected," she thought.

[OOC:] I need another set of Observe tests... understand, Dim Lighting penalty will apply to anywhere within 5 yard radius from the fire, and Darkness penalty will apply beyond for See tests (racial/trait modifiers will apply).

Caranmîr needs to give me a (Dim Lighting) Observe (See) test TN 12 to notice the spider in the tree above the Company. He may also give me an Observe (Hear) test TN 10 to notice Gar's approach.

Characters that are trying to sleep may make the same tests but increase TN's by 2 - penalty and racial/trait modifiers do apply.

donimator

May 29, 2008, 10:10 AM #29 Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:09 AM by donimator
Turumarth's Observe Rolls:

Observe (Spot) (Skill +5, Specialty +2, Tired -2 -> total roll modifier +5)
TN 12 (base) (+5 darkness, +2 sleeping) -> 19
----------
Roll - 4,6 +5 = 15 (failure)

Observe (Hear) (Skill +5, Tired -2 -> total roll modifier +3)
TN 10 (base) (+2 sleeping) -> 12
----------
Roll - 4,5 +3 = 12 (Marginal success?)

{OOC} - Edit to add init roll as others have.

A twig snapping...forests sounds going silent at the passing of danger? Turumarth wasn't exactly sure what he heard as he tried to sleep, but he knew it was something. Slowly he closes his hand on his staff and waits breathlessly for some indication of what or if a threat approaches.

Init Test (for Observe(Hear) test success), Init +2, Tired -2, Modifier = 0
---------
Roll - 4,1 +0 = 5