• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 08:51 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Gathering

Started by tomcat, Mar 27, 2008, 04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Kori realized why he had not known of Gumbo's presence at Azanulbizar, for he and his kinfolk had arrived with the vanguard of Nain's force out of the Iron Hills.

His admiration for the Halfling grew even more, "You tell a good tale and sing a good song little master!" It was the first smile the new hires had seen cross the old Dwarf's face. "Nori, perhaps this Elf would be of value on our trip... mayhaps you can go back to the common room and implore his services?"

At the same moment, the lady of the house entered carrying a large wooden platter laden with bread, fresh butter, and a very fragrant vegetable and beef stew pot - following behind her was a young fellow who had four crocks precariously grasped in his two small hands.

Kori gestured where he wanted the food to be set and then returned to business, "The needs of the wagon and team have already been met; I purchased them a week past. As far as your suggestions of river travel... a Dwarfs' feet serves him better on solid rock. Yet, we may make good use of your familiarity of the region and the folks that reside there."

The craftsman made no more comment regarding the hiring of porters or any hands that may require coin. The resource was already lean.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"Uncle, don't consider this prattle!  The day that we need help from one of those pointy-ears prisses is the day our house loses all measure of honor and dignity.  Isn't it enough that we must look to outsiders for aid to even consider going that far?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

"ahhhh, he needs but a nudge and he will join us! All it requires is the right lure. You may be from Laketown Beren, but your not a fisherman or fisherelf or, well you get my drift."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Cut

[OOC] I have a paper due to hand in tomorrow at my university. I'll be able to post and read more regularly again as of this weekend. Caranmîr is eager to join, but most likely not be found during the next 24-36 hours.

tomcat

Kori looked at Nori and shook his head, "Nephew, we need all as are willing to go... but for the price of knowledge, we may be able to retain the aid of this Elf. It seems a slight bounty to pay. Go and fetch him... let us see what he says."

The request from the older Dwarf to the younger was not commanding, moreso that of desperation that all could perceive.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Cut

Down below in the tavern's common room, Caranmîr knew nothing of the fact that the company had started considering for him to join their quest. He was still sitting at his table regarding his maps, making traveling plans for tomorrows journey southwards, while occasionally trying bits and sips of the strange kind of the food and drink he ordered to learn about their tastes.

[OOC] Paper is handed in, Caranmîr is ready for some underground action!  >:D

tomcat

Quote from: Cut on Apr 11, 2008, 09:17 AM[OOC] Paper is handed in, Caranmîr is ready for some underground action!  >:D

[OOC:] I need to get busy and get you guys there soon! (D I am enjoying how this story is coming together... I like the character mix thus far. 

GandalfOfBorg

Nori opened his mouth as if to reply but bit his tongue.  He didn't want to usurp his uncle's authority with these hired hands more than he already had.  It obviously pained him to stand and fetch the elf yet he did so anyways.  Returning to the room, he found the elfling really as if almost waiting for him to show up.  "Master Elf," he struggled.  "You have been noted as one who may have interest in my family's venture and that your particular... specialty... may be of use to us.  My uncle requests your presence," he says quietly and turns to leave.  "If you'll come," he finishes he turns the corner.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Cut

Caranmîr couldn't quite believe what he heard. Had the Dwarf just asked him to come along? Not really waiting for a reply, the Dwarf had turned and started to leave the common room again. Caranmîr didn't notice any lack of manners, and started to gather his stuff quickly, grabbing his Quarterstaff he tried to regain a bit of dignity and started to follow the Dwarf.
"Master Dwarf, I will come with you. I am honored that you might think of me as a worthy companion to you and your company."

tomcat

In the private room, Kori and the new retainees looked up to see Nori return followed by Caranmîr. The elder Dwarf nodded his approval and bid welcome to the Elf, "Master Elf, I am glad that you have chosen to come and listen to our proposal."

The quest was re-counted for Caranmîr's sake and with his acceptance Kori ended, "Our number is small and I do ask that if you know any worthy that may wish to accompany, then feel free to have them come and see my nephew and me. We shall be finishing our business here in Laketown within two days, be prepared for us to commence."

Elrohir

Beren looks up at Caramir.  He listens to the story another time, to make sure he didn't miss any details.  "Glad to have ya", he says to Caramir.  "So, what changed your mind?".  What a missmatched party we have, he thinks to himself. 

Telcontar

Gumbo is on his third helping of food just as the elf opens the door to enter. He nods to him and utters some uninteligable grunts and gesticulating with bones at various points of the retelling.

"bottom line we need to take the shortest route to the Anduin." Gumbo looks out of the corner of his eye and then smiles and looks at the elf, then in perfect Sindarian, "Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo!"  (Behold people of the Eldar and fathers of men, A star shines on the moment of our meeting!) Whipping his mouth, "excuse my haste, hunger causes manners to go astray when they should be most evident. I am Gumbo Bellybottom of the West Farthing and and my greeting in the tongue of your people stands." He stood up quickly and bowed then moved rapidly to the door and opened it, shouting down the stairs. "By the stars of Elbereth thats good food, but its the parched mouth that tastes but a fraction of the love that made it. MORE BEER! And may it be the bouncing step and lovely smile of the maid of the bar that slacks the thirst and freshens the air with her presence that brings it." Gumbo turned and looked back at the table and said almost to himself, "we're going to need more food too..."
  He then glanced at Kori, "Dispell that look in your eye, my consumption is slackened when on the trail, the food here is legendary and i've never spent a copper in here. A well told story, a sly wink, and a pinch here or there when the moment demands and when all else fails the tinkle of small silver and a smile washes away the rest. This place has sold beer by quart when word gets around that I am in a talkative mood!" Gumbo slapped the elf and the man on the shoulder, laughed and started into the food again with a smile that would have humbled a fox.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Apr 12, 2008, 08:27 PM #27 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2008, 08:36 PM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Apr 12, 2008, 12:55 PM
... We shall be finishing our business here in Laketown within two days, be prepared for us to commence."

"Return here on the morn of the second day if you still wish to make this journey.  If you haven't a room, I believe there are some available here.  If you wish discuss the particulars of the journey, contracts, or other items of business we will be available," Nori ends gruffly.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Cut

What an interesting composition of a group that we have here, Caranmîr thought. He was surprised of the friendly greeting of the Hobbit in perfect Sindarin. He responed to the friendly greeting in kind. Then he answered Beren's question. "I never said that I would be uninterested in joining company with you, I just didn't expect good Master Dwarf to be interested in the company of an Elf." With that he turned to the two Dwarves directly: "My name is Caranmîr and I hope that I can be of your service. I have read a lot about friendships of Old between your people and mine. I hope that we can renew these old ties."

Elrohir

With his answer from Caramir, and not wanting to stay and hear about the ties of dwarves and elves, Beren picks up his things and leaves.  "Hey Gumbo, wanna come with?  I'm going to see if there is anything interesting happening in this town.  I have a feeling I won't be returning for quite a while", he says with a smile.  He leaves with one last sip of his ale, walking on the piers of laketown.

OOC:Is there anything going on in laketown in the next couple days?  If not, Beren will probably rest, or go to a weapons shop.