• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 07:28 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Sorry!

Started by tomcat, Jun 01, 2007, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 01, 2007, 02:38 PM Last Edit: Jun 01, 2007, 02:42 PM by tomcat
Hey you guys...

:( I am sorry to say that the Star Trek game is going to go on hiatus for awhile... for two reasons:

• One: I cannot seem to generate the inter-roleplay between characters and maintain it like we do in LotR.
  • Two: It is a challenge for my brain to run two games at the same time and to be able to give them each the quality and attention that I'd like... such as formulating tests and challenges. I am already handicapped in this with ST because my forte is swords and sorcery.

So, our story is not dead. I do want to continue the adventure of Darkan and crew and see if the Columbia can achieve it's goal, but it will have to wait for our next break that we take in LotR... although it has been a while since we took one. That story is just too fun to stop!  ;D

If you guys give me some convincing arguments to continue I will...  ;D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Jun 01, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hey you guys...

:( I am sorry to say that the Star Trek game is going to go on hiatus for awhile... for two reasons:

• One: I cannot seem to generate the inter-roleplay between characters and maintain it like we do in LotR.
  • Two: It is a challenge for my brain to run two games at the same time and to be able to give them each the quality and attention that I'd like... such as formulating tests and challenges. I am already handicapped in this with ST because my forte is swords and sorcery.

So, our story is not dead. I do want to continue the adventure of Darkan and crew and see if the Columbia can achieve it's goal, but it will have to wait for our next break that we take in LotR... although it has been a while since we took one. That story is just too fun to stop!  ;D

If you guys give me some convincing arguments to continue I will...  ;D

I understand. For whatever reason, it has been a bit tough to get this thing off the ground and staying airborne. Whenever you're willing to try again, I'll be there.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

If I could just kick these guys into gear, I would  :P
I understand, Doug... I look forward to picking up the game where we left off.
I do have a something in mind that maybe the others should ponder... would it be better if the captain were an NPC instead of PC?  It seems that most of the interaction focus is around him, thus maybe there isn't equitable "spotlight" for the other characters?  If others believe this is so and thinks the captain should become an NPC, I am willing take up another post to keep the game afloat.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Edrahil / Tam

Yeah, it makes sense to put it on hold for now, if you're being overwhelmed by both games at once.

As far as interaction goes, I think part of the problem is that we're relying too much on the information that you're feeding us (from the computer, or scanners, or whatever), so when you post the information for us we have limited additional stuff to add. Maybe when we come back to it, we could try it with you PMing our characters just raw information (point form, or whatever) so we could put it into prose as we want our characters to reveal it, interpret it, etc. Then you wouldn't be working as much to write the whole story from every point of view, and instead you'd just be making the information available for us to put together ourselves. Just a thought.

As far as the NPC Captain goes, I think the problem with that is that it would make the campaign feel even more railroad-ed (the opposite of the above suggestion ;-)) since then we'd just be doing what he tells us to do, and we might feel there's even less interaction/suggestion with the captain then than there is now. GoB's doing a fine job as Captain, I'd vote to leave him there.

sdrotar

Quote from: Tam on Jun 02, 2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, it makes sense to put it on hold for now, if you're being overwhelmed by both games at once.

As far as interaction goes, I think part of the problem is that we're relying too much on the information that you're feeding us (from the computer, or scanners, or whatever), so when you post the information for us we have limited additional stuff to add. Maybe when we come back to it, we could try it with you PMing our characters just raw information (point form, or whatever) so we could put it into prose as we want our characters to reveal it, interpret it, etc. Then you wouldn't be working as much to write the whole story from every point of view, and instead you'd just be making the information available for us to put together ourselves. Just a thought.

As far as the NPC Captain goes, I think the problem with that is that it would make the campaign feel even more railroad-ed (the opposite of the above suggestion ;-)) since then we'd just be doing what he tells us to do, and we might feel there's even less interaction/suggestion with the captain then than there is now. GoB's doing a fine job as Captain, I'd vote to leave him there.

This whole thing is an excellent idea.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Jun 02, 2007, 03:29 PM #5 Last Edit: Jun 02, 2007, 03:31 PM by tomcat
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Cool... thank you for the input on the game. I needed you guys to tell me what we are missing to get this thing in line!  #:S

I really like the idea of PM'ing the perspective stations and allowing you to interpret as you will, with only mods made if there is an absolute misinterpretation of what I give.

Okay... that being said, I am very willing to try these suggestions and keep it going to see what happens with the game. Just so you know, my mind is fully immersed in an adventure I am writing for the Hall of Fire and I want to have it done by tomorrow (Sunday), so posting will be slow for me until Monday.

I too am of the mindset that the Captain needs to be a PC - especially with this story I am running - because the decisions to cross a neutral zone and potentially incite a war needs to be made by the players, not fed to you by the GM. If any of you know anyone that might be interested in picking up another character on the ship to allow for more player interaction, have them give me a shout. Here is the breakdown of our main PC's as they stand:

Darkan - Matt
Ramos, Stonn - Shawn
Tam, Townshend - Chris
Grahm - NPC
Pushkin - NPC

Excellent, I am pleased that you guys talked me into keeping it going! That is what you intended, right?  :\  (D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Thanks, guys :)  On the part of the Narrator-Captain interaction, I think you're doing fine with the info you're giving me... in fact IMO quite along the lines of what Chris is suggesting for my part, though having read back a little with the "worker bees", I would agree that there is some divergence in how you approach them.  I look forward to see where we go with things... The captain is now pretty much winging it, the feeling is more and more like the TOS movie era as if the young Kirk were put in during that time (I think that was your point so brava!)

We'll be here waiting with baited breath, Doug.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Okay... we are re-initiating.

I am going to still present the tests needed in the regular forum posts but will PM you with the results, unless they are very general. You can then interpret the PM's into your posts as you please - feel free to cut and past anything I give you - but also write me back if there is anything I do not explain clearly.

Here we go...