• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 29, 2024, 09:33 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Shadow of the Helm

Started by Eclecticon, Mar 26, 2024, 02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Esgalwen heard the raising of voices and the kindling of fiery lust for battle, but this was without reason. None knew who these folk were and by no right did the Thegn of Sunstead have to order such an attack without cause.

The Dúnadan woman stood from the breakfast fire and looked at Ceawin, "Lord, you call to arms against people you do not know and who have yet done no harm, or given fear of causing harm? What wisdom is this? You are here on a peace-building journey, yet you make judgement and decree punishment before you know the situation? Ceawin - how is this a way to lead? How is this a way to inspire trust?"

She did not stand defiantly against the man of Sunstead, but looked at him with reason while speaking calmly. Her stature - that of the Númenórean blood - lent to her presence, as did her noble mien. Esgalwen would not see bloodshed without cause.

:ooc: I will make a Persuade roll in an attempt to cool this Dude down, before we attack without cause. I know it only benefits my Inspire rolls, but I am calling into play her Noble Lineage, Fair, and Folk-lore traits- as well as her Blood of Númenor traits to lend to her authority and calm him down. She is being the pretty and reasonable woman that men will sometimes go, okay, sure...

TN 14 persuade 3d6
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 1, 5, total 7

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Wow... the dice really love to suck up a scene! I will spend a :vv: to make that a 17 success.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Gwaithlim will stand, literally, with the fellowship against these rash actions.  At the side of Esgalwen, he will lend his fair bearing and resoluteness to the pleas of logic and mercy.

:ooc: You betcha he's gonna stand and look pretty like a good elf, Fair Feature, towards the men of Caewin.
Awe -  1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 5, total 7

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

"Stay your hands!" barks Arbogast with the voice of one accustomed to calling out commands across the field of battle, and jus tas accustomed to having those commands obeyed. 

:ooc: He's going to be using Awe against Caewin's followers:
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 2, total 11
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Looks like the roller has spotted that I'm using a long-term player character.   :roll:

Arbogast will drop a Hope to turn that into a success. 

:csu: for everybody.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Tension still hangs in the air like a bared blade, and knuckles still tighten on the hafts of axe and spear as all eyes that can turn to Caewin.  But the lord of the Sunstead is still a picture of confusion, his mouth working as if trying and failing to speak.  At last, more perhaps in response to the gaze of the companions than their exact words, he mutters "We fought... our ancestors... fought these dark Easterlings... these bringers of the plague..." 

Then, all at once, his gaze brightens and sharpens, alighting upon the two Elves in his entourage.  "You would not know, you of endless years beneath the wood!  Never shall you feel the sorrow and terror of the pestilence, nor its hunger for innocent life!" 

As he speaks, so waxes Gwaithlim's certainty of what he sees: a fleeting, flickering thing of shadow twisting beneath the bright helm that, briefly afrighted by the boldness of the Foresthelm, now slinks back to shroud Caewin's eyes and mind once again.  Or was it so simple?  For, for the most fleeting moment, it seemes to his Elf-eyes that two such things jostled with each other for the better place. 

Forgotten toward the rear of the company, Luindîs unslings her harp and, as voices wax wrathful about her, strums a loud chord that fades immediately into the tune of a restful lay.  It may not calm them by itself, she thinks, but it may draw their attention away.

:ooc: Tom, I like your idea about using Valour to defeat Corruption.  Unfortunately, a simple success won't get you much, nor for long, but with a bit of communication from Gwaithlim you'll have learned something valuable. 

Luindîs is going to attempt to calm/distract Caewin's people with a Song roll:
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 2, 5, 5, total 17

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Little by little, the anger of the warriors and travellers of the East Bight begins to wane, their appetite for bloodshed slowly vanishing.  Now, as many look to Esgalwen and Gwaithlim, high and lordly among Men and Elves, as do to Caewin.  Hathycn is unsure, but may have heard a voice mutter "...more and more often...". 

:ooc: The next person to speak can make an Inspire roll directed at the crowd and have it count against the successes for Caewin, with a bonus success thrown in for good measure if the roll succeeds. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: this sounds like a job for Ætheldreám!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Esgalwen continued to speak directly to Ceawin, "Lord of Sunstead, the logical path here is peace. Let us speak to these folk, if need takes us to them. There is no need of bloodshed lest threat is made. Besides, how lordly would thou look, if you should come before them with your entourage and speak of unity. That is a word not oft spoken in these lands and such would go far, like water to a thirsting man. No?"

:ooc: changing tack, Esgalwen will now work to inspire Ceawin by stroking his pride - something that is probably already being stroked regularly by the inhabitant of the helm.  ;D

Her Noble Lineage should play into this, but tell me if that is not the case, Paul. I will make a Favoured feat die roll.

TN 14 inspire 2d
:00: 2d12 : 3, 4, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 2, total 4

tomcat

:ooc: LOL! Wow... maybe not, Tom - maybe this calls for divine intervention!

I am not spending another hope on that, as it will not work no matter what.

Telcontar

Hathcyn wheeled his horse about and rode up to the gathered men. He had a helm of his own and he would pit his against this one of suspicion and fear.

"Men of Sunstead, you have traveled under the shadow of the trees of Mirkwood. You have braved the perils of the long forest road. Your rest was brief, but brave and noble deeds have you performed in the service of your lord. The malice of the wood is behind you. As we travel to the Woodmen the danger is less, not every shadow hides a spider, not every traveler a brigand. Your task now is to protect and unite the Woodmen in the service of your [roll]Lord. A task I know you may nobly perform, but keep this task in mind. Be generous to friends as your Lord is, and guard against his foes, as you have. But be sure to not use the striking hand when the one that gives is better suited."

Hathcyn will attempt to inspire the men.
Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10

Rolled 3d6+1 : 6, 1, 2 + 1, total 10

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"Peace.   Enough words have been spoken," Caewin says, lifting high his hand to show it holds no sword or spear.  "You are right, my good friends, as ever, and you have given me much to think on." 

Without further word he dismounts and doffs his helm, a smile returning at last to his face.  As Arbogast approaches with a quizzical look, he adds "I think perhaps my thoughts of perhaps becoming war leader of our folk darkens my thoughts, and I put too much credence in tales of wars fought long ago and by other Men." 

:ooc: We've reached the time limit (based on the highest Valour or Woodman Standing) without quite reaching the success target, but Caewin seems to have calmed his farm, so I'm sure that's completely alright and nothing else need worry you. 

I'll move the story on unless anyone has some reactions to add.

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: you asked for a roll to inspire the men instead of Caewin. Did Hathcyns appeal have any effect on the followers?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: They had largely settled down after Luindîs' harping, but Hathcyn's words have shifted their mood from confused to sheepish and embarrassed.  In the absence of clear orders from Caewin, they're looking to you guys for direction at this point. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: Matt, are you going to share what you learned about the helm?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear