• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 29, 2024, 06:45 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Fangs in the Gloom - Round 1

Started by Eclecticon, Jul 06, 2023, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Jul 06, 2023, 10:31 PM Last Edit: Jul 06, 2023, 10:40 PM by Eclecticon
Situation: The companions are defending Ferthald's steading from a pack of wargs that have breached the walls. 

Combat Advantage dice:
• Esgalwen 0/0
• Hathcyn 0/0

Situation Modifiers:
• The foes have the initiative.

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• There is a limit to how many fighters can be supported by the roofs, though you're not certain exactly how many will cause a collapse. 
• A character can use a long spear to attack foes on a roof from the ground (or vice-versa) with a -2 penalty to hit.   
• The Fellowship's followers are also engaged fighting other Wargs.  Periodically, each companion will need to make a Battle roll to determine casualties.

PC/NPC  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :vv:HOPE  :<3:END  :-X-:STANCE  :##:STATUS
Esgalwen
Hathcyn
• 6 (:<|: n/a)
• 7 (:<|: n/a)
• 1d+1 (:C|: n/a)
• 3d (:C|: +4)
• 14/15
• 13/14
• 17/27
• 29/29
Defensive
Forward
normal
normal

ENEMY  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :@:HATE  :<3:END  :csu:NOTES
One-eyed warg
Snapping warg
• 2d
• 2d
vs Esgalwen
vs Esgalwen's archers

STANCES
:-X-:Forward
- action order 1

Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward
Maneuvers
:-->:Open
- action order 2

Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open
Maneuvers
:<|:Defensive
- action order 3

Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive
Maneuvers
:<->:Rearward
- action order 4

Ranged combat
TN 12+ parry
Must be 2 other PC's
in Close Combat; May not
use if outnumbered 2:1

Rearward
Maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance

Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level of opponents Athletics roll.
On success, may safely flee from the scene of combat
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Amid the howling of their pack-mates, the two pale wargs leap for the defenders of the steading as they perch upon the granary roof, their eyes wild in the gloom.  One beast snaps its jaws shut upon the arm of an archer, the force of its assault carrying both over the edge of the roof to land with a snarling thud on the ground below.  No time does the Wind-maiden have to learn their fate, however, for another is upon her in half a heartbeat...

:ooc:
One-eyed warg (TN 18)
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6+3 : 6, 5 + 3, total 14

Character sheet

Eclecticon

... forcing her to hop backwards as far as she dares.  As she lands, the thatch beneath her foot, never meant to bear the weight of a woman so suddenly, slips from its frame.  She feels the burning pain in her leg as she fights to keep herself from falling, and readies herself desperately to fight. 

:ooc: Esgalwen loses six Endurance, but (just) avoids a penetrating injury.   

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Just for the sake of clarity - she is down 10 :<3:, did she suffer something before? My sheet had her at full 27 prior to the engagement's start. If so, cool, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Perceiving their tactic, but not expecting the wargs to be upon them so quickly, Esgalwen realized that her bow was of no use in such proximity. Keeping it firmly set in her left hand, the woman drew Nimronyn from its scabbard. But even this she questioned, as her footing was not sound and the thatch roof would not allow for a skirmish.

The warg's jaws snap at her vitals and she hopped backwards and let herself slide from the rickety rooftop to jump to the more solid ground below.

"WARE! THE WARGS ARE UPON US!" she cried even as she braced to land.

:ooc: I am not going to try to fight melee atop the building, and since there was no chance of opening volleys - she will jump from the roof. I am going to give you two rolls - one is a Combat roll to Escape from direct combat with the one-eyed warg, the other is an Athletics to make sure she can land safely. You determine if both are necessary or not...

To evade...
TN (10+??) longsword 5d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 5d6 : 6, 1, 6, 5, 6, total 24

To land safely...
TN (??) athletics 2d
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 6, total 10

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Wow! I do not think I have ever made a better combat roll... of course it has no benefit for melee! Maybe it will glean me a bonus, or an auto-success on the Athletics?  ;D

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'm comfortable with Esgalwen escaping melee (for the moment - them wargs is quick!) and landing without taking damage, though she probably took an undignified tumble in the dark. 

Quote from: tomcat on Jul 07, 2023, 05:57 AM:ooc: Just for the sake of clarity - she is down 10 :<3:, did she suffer something before? My sheet had her at full 27 prior to the engagement's start. If so, cool, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Yeah, I did you no favours there by not updating the sheets as I went.  She took a hit or two in the first warg-fight in the rain outside the gate and didn't fully recover afterwards (starting at 19, she recovered 4 from her Heart rating, but no more 'cause you haven't had a proper rest in a place of safety). She was at 23 prior to the start of this one and is now sitting at 17.

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: are the warg riders armed with bows and will fire from the roof Or is the roof just a way for them to access the compound?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: There's nobody riding these guys.  This is a wargs-only party.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Also, my longbow-wielding wife has asked me to make clear that you 'shoot' bows, and no fire should be involved at any point. 

This has been: gratuitous information.

Character sheet

Telcontar

Quote from: Eclecticon on Jul 13, 2023, 08:35 PM:ooc: Also, my longbow-wielding wife has asked me to make clear that you 'shoot' bows, and no fire should be involved at any point. 

This has been: gratuitous information.

They could loose them too.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

:ooc: so there is really zero advantage to them being on the roof, they have to cone to us. So we have one on a roof and one in the courtyard with Esgalwen and the Elf engsging them?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: And more on the way, but not here quite yet.

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn saw the wargs make the bound onto the roof and a group begin to engage them. He resisted the urge to engage them immediately. He waited to see if this was the main attack before rushing into the fray heedlessly.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear