• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 08:53 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - Ever-Turning Stars

Started by Eclecticon, Nov 23, 2022, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Nov 23, 2022, 09:07 PM Last Edit: Nov 23, 2022, 09:10 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc:  It's a Fellowship Phase again!  After the reasonably short adventure just gone, everyone earns eight XP and every last AP that's marked off on your sheets.  Nota bene: this includes the bonus XP you earned during the last adventure for toppling the evil stone and such. 

In addition, for seeing a vision of one of the Valar, every member of the Fellowship not only fully refreshes their Hope score but in fact increases it by a point.  Generous are the powers to those that defend the light.

Tom and Matt, feel free to collaborate on how the Beornings react to the passing of their namesake - do the thegns get all grumpy and fractious?  Do the magical animals at Beorn's house stick around?  The Viglundings probably hear the news as well, though probably too late to mount a campaign southward, so they probably get stuck into some serious raiding action. 

This is a year-end phase.  The next Adventuring Phase will kick off sometime in 2960.

Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Well, I suppose someone should kick things off here.  Arbogast has somehow racked up 32 XP and 10 AP, of which he'll bank the latter.  He'll spend 26 XP to raise his Wisdom to six (!) and take the Resilience mastery, raising his maximum Endurance to 28.  I feel like he possibly should have done this much earlier in his career. 

The Holding rating for the Forest Road, for anyone who's using it, lowers to six this year as trade along it continues to pick up. 

Holding roll:
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3

Weal and Woe:
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: To save everyone the trouble, I've adjusted the Hope, XP and AP scores on everyone's sheets.

Character sheet

Telcontar

Ok so the Tavern roll is tied to the Road Roll for me.

I also need to adjust my character sheet. From the last fellowship phase I should have spent treasure and gone up to standing 3.

Im also trying to nug through some Beorning flavor text for all that has happened.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 28, 2022, 07:30 AM #4 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2022, 08:19 AM by GandalfOfBorg
:ooc:
Gwaithlim
XP: 8 -6 (Spears 1->2)
AP: 6 -6 (Inspire 1, Riddle 1)

Undertaking: Write a Song
-- Song TN 14 - Sacrifice Upon the Mountain, of Beorn and the Bear
TN -2 Traditional, follows the same mode in the lay of the Fall of Gondolin, particularly in describing the flight into the mountains
TN -2 Thematic, song of remembrance of heroes fallen
I didn't employ the "Elvish" modifier as he is an elf, figured a comparable one would apply if he were to do a translation in Westron/Common.

If this doesn't work the first time around, he will continue later.
 :00:
Song -  1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 4, total 6

btw, the Fatigue and Endurance, are they recovered?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

:ooc: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Matt, but non-favoured skills take 4 AP per level - you can improve Inspire or Riddle, but not both. 

Also it's nice to see someone else making use of the song-writing undertaking.  Re the 'Elvish' modifier, I see it as not just being about overcoming a language barrier but harnessing some minor magic inherent in the form, hence why they're more effective.  Doug might have another view here.  In any case, since it's Traditional and Thematic, it can't also be Elvish. 

We're in a year-end phase, so Gwaithlim gets another Undertaking.  Consider it a consolation prize for an unlucky roll. 

As for Endurance and fatigue, consider them both fully recovered. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Cow herd holding roll
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11

Weal and Woe Roll
Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Weal and Woe roll may be made by all PCs

• 1-2 A Grim year [see page 135 of the Adventurer's Companion Guide for results]
• 3-5 The Quiet of the World/Burdens [see page 135 of the Adventurer's Companion Guide for results]
• 6-8 Blessings/Well Guided and Well Guarded [see page 136 of the Adventurer's Companion Guide for results]
• 9-10 A Worthy year [see page 136 of the Adventurer's Companion Guide for results]
•  or  Life-changing Events [see page 136 of the Adventurer's Companion Guide for results]
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 28, 2022, 05:38 PM:ooc: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Matt, but non-favoured skills take 4 AP per level - you can improve Inspire or Riddle, but not both. 
Ok, I found the Weapon Skill/Valour/Wisdom table couldn't find the Common skill progression in Rivendell (or I'm blind).

Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 28, 2022, 05:38 PMAlso it's nice to see someone else making use of the song-writing undertaking.  Re the 'Elvish' modifier, I see it as not just being about overcoming a language barrier but harnessing some minor magic inherent in the form, hence why they're more effective.  Doug might have another view here.  In any case, since it's Traditional and Thematic, it can't also be Elvish.
I'm fine with that too if its in the Common tongue (more appropriate any way).

Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 28, 2022, 05:38 PMWe're in a year-end phase, so Gwaithlim gets another Undertaking.  Consider it a consolation prize for an unlucky roll. 

As for Endurance and fatigue, consider them both fully recovered. 
Ok, thanks... and I need to roll Weal/Woe too.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Nov 29, 2022, 04:22 AM
Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 28, 2022, 05:38 PM:ooc: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Matt, but non-favoured skills take 4 AP per level - you can improve Inspire or Riddle, but not both. 
Ok, I found the Weapon Skill/Valour/Wisdom table couldn't find the Common skill progression in Rivendell (or I'm blind).

The Weapons/Wisdom/Valour table is different than the common cultures and is in the Rivendell book. To spend AP and increase skills, you need to look in the Core revised rules page 195.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

I will update soon with my post for Esgalwen.

In case you are unaware from previous posts, Paul needs to take a break for a while from Loremaster and I will be picking up the task. I am doing some work on where we are in the Darkening of Mirkwood book - what parts we have to do, what we ignored, and what we can or cannot ignore (or at least change to our tale).

Between that and running a Tuesday and Thursday night live games, and Christmas prep in full swing, I am a little backlogged. So be prepared for at least a week (and maybe a bit longer) before I have our new Chapter post up and running.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Not a problem, Doug.  It's nice to linger over the Fellowship phase in any case.

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc:
1. Fixed the skills and updated remaining AP
2. Addressed the song above, will try next time.  2nd Undertaking: Befriend the Beasts - Learn Beast-speech (Birds)
3. :00:
Weal & Woe  1d12 : 10, total 10
Gwaithlim Weapons

GandalfOfBorg

Quote9-10 – A Worthy Year
A loved one recovers from a lingering malady. The hero is forewarned of treachery or deceit. The character's efforts on behalf of their folk are taken up in song. Gifts or rewards totalling 6 Treasure points are given to the character. The character is 'adopted' by a particularly clever beast. One of the hero's holdings is significantly improved in some way, increasing its value.

• The hero provides 1 additional point to the Fellowship pool for the length of the following Adventuring phase.
• Alternatively, if the hero has a holding, he may choose to roll the Feat die twice keeping the best result on the next Holding Upkeep roll.
Well I would go for that Treasure, but what does an elf need treasure for? hehe
Actually, "being 'adopted' by a particularly clever beast" makes sense with his learning bird-speech, though doesn't go so far as the effect of "Befriend a <beast>" undertaking. I'll have a narrative of this soon (inability to complete his song, taking up with the animal companions in the House of Beorn, learning the bird-speech as inspiration, a nightingale takes especial interest in him)
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

Nov 30, 2022, 02:19 PM #14 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2022, 05:55 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Arbogast's Undertakings are:
1) Patrol the Wild (TDoM p 58 - basically gives him an extra benefit from his Mirkwood Lore speciality in the next adventure) and
2) Confer with Radagast the Brown (buy his next Explore or Lore rank at half price).

Tom, if you haven't chosen Undertakings for Hathcyn yet, might I recommend that he go see a lore-master (e.g. Balin)?   

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Nov 30, 2022, 04:29 AMWell I would go for that Treasure, but what does an elf need treasure for? hehe
Remember Standing!  Unless you want to backslide with your reputation among your own people by spending too much time away (as they see it) Treasure is useful.  I'm not saying that your nightingale idea isn't cool, but keep that in mind. 

EDIT: moving away from pure game mechanics, remember that the High Elves in particular have left shiny trinkets all over the place as one homely house after another has been lost, and that many of them have sentimental value.  Also, elves of all stripes still have jewellers who need precious metals and gems to practice their craft.  Thranduil's folk love their white and green gems, f'rex. 

Character sheet