• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 29, 2024, 07:03 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Death and the Maiden

Started by Eclecticon, Jul 17, 2022, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Huffing and wheezing in their hurry to keep up with the Brown Wizard – all but Esgalwen, for the blood of Numenor runs hot in her veins and will not suffer her to show weakness before the Shadow! – the Fellowship of the Helm presses on.  Over stony ridges and through dank gullies they follow the half-seen, half-imagined thread.  No further sign do they see of spies and messengers of the Enemy, or of the spiders whose demesne encompasses these lands.  Here and there, the trees begin to thin, allowing fragmentary pathways to become clear, though before long they either vanish or twist away from the route of the company, and the leafy branches that cover the land still press so close together as to admit no possibility of sunlight. 

For what must surely be several days, Radagast leads the Fellowship with such desperation that times of rest become even more scarce and food is snatched in mouthfuls at a time, mostly in the form of large, flat-headed mushrooms that Arbogast pronounces safe enough to eat, though they are bland and barely palatable.  Their forced march carries them in a fever dream of aching limbs and sodden feet further and further from the solid carpet of roots and mulchy ground that is the black heart of Mirkwood and into a kind of border march where the trees are broadly spaced, but struggle for sunlight beneath a spreading blanket of vines that grow in great abundance, hanging strange tendrils laden with bitter-smelling seed pods down into the murk and muck below. 

"Come, just a little further," Radagast entreats them.  "I know this country.  I've spent long days exploring it and looking for the source of Duskwater's woes.  Oh, but we are so very close to the shores of the Black Tarn!" 

:ooc: Your journey is, at this point, all over bar the shouting, which is good.  On the other hand, everyone gains an automatic three Fatigue points, which is less so.  But everyone gets a TN 16 Travel roll to try to shed a point or two, which is good again. 
Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 4, 1, total 9

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 3, 4, total 11

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 5, 1, 3, total 11

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 6, 5, total 13

Finally, as the despair of travelling through Mirkwood builds and builds, everyone has to make a TN 16 Corruption roll:
Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 4d6 : 6, 4, 5, 3, total 18

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 5d6 : 1, 1, 5, 5, 6, total 18

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 5d6 : 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, total 11

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 1, 6, 4, total 13
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Everyone but Esgalwen gains the full three points of Fatigue, and Grimbeorn picks up a point of temporary Shadow.  :csu:

Character sheet

Eclecticon

The oppression and gloom of Mirkwood seems endless, but it is the nature of the world that all things within it, save perhaps only the Elves, must come to an end.  Thus it is that, after nigh two months beneath the sea of leaves, the Fellowship stumbles once more into the light.  A meek and pale light it is, to be sure, for the reflection of sunlight over clouds to what must be the east makes it barely dawn, but to eyes now long-accustomed to blackness and shadow it is a painful thing, and the companions find themselves approaching it haltingly, as a man half-frozen might lower himself into a hot spring.  Radagast, though, can barely contain himself.  "Make haste," he implores them.  "Our long labour is nearly done!" and it is as much to appease him as for any residual longing for light and warmth that they finally emerge from the shadows cast by the trunks of fir and aspen. 

Oh, but they are revealed as pitiful things when they do, their clothing caked with filth where it is not torn to rags, their bodies wasted and gaunt from too long at labour and too little at rest, from living on scraps of food foraged in places where no Man or Elf has trod in a thousand years or more.  All too easily might they be taken for wretches released from the deepest dungeons of Dol Guldur but for the light of dawn shining on steel helms and weapons, kept sharp and bright throughout their long travails though their bodies were never so neglected.   

Here, however, is at long last the final object of their questing: Duskwater stands before them, ankle-deep in the still waters of the Black Tarn, her corselet of spider-silk mail draped coyly about her form.  She favours the Fellowship with an imperious glare as Radagast, his hands shaking so that he nearly drops her ball, approaches her step by hesitant step, fearful perhaps that she might at this last moment take flight. 

"Who are you to presume..." she begins, but a single tug of the Brown one's finger causes the lone thread to flash in the light of dawn, and at once the eldest of the River-maidens collapses senseless in the soft earth of the lakeshore.  Radagast approaches her, his whole attention fixed. 

But he does not do so alone, for the wiles of the Shadow are subtle, and its reach extends into every heart, each sorrow borne or grudge nursed a chink in the armour, a weakness in the walls.  Long has Arbogast borne himself in misery, and now the black hand of the Enemy takes hold and twists, taking burned out grief and long buried hatred and kindling them anew, fanning them into an all-consuming madness.  Without troubling to unsling his shield, he steps close behind the Wizard, taking forth his axe and slamming it, snake-fast, haft first into the back of Radagast's head. 

Like Duskwater, the Wizard collapses, his form looking suddenly frail and vulnerable as the Fire-watcher raises high the Warden's Axe, poised for a heartbeat like an executioner. 

:ooc: Quick – your characters have a second, maybe less, to react!  They can't close the distance to him in time to stop him killing someone, but they can say four to five words (and make an Awe roll) that might distract him enough to pause...

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn quick of mind attempts to distract his friend in order to buy time and determine what madness has beset them.

"Lindwine!"

He calls out the name of the Firewatcher's wife in an attempt to distract him.

Awe
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 3, total 12

:ooc: May I use my trait swift to barrel into him if he slows?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn calls out the names of his children, starting with the one he lost.

:00:
Awe -  1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 5d6 : 2, 3, 5, 5, 3, total 18
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

At the sound of two rough voices calling out the names of his wife and his lost daughter Wilone, the Fire-watcher's head whips around fast enough that his matted and filthy braid strikes out like a flail behind him.  Beneath the spectacles of his helm, his eyes are wide and feral and his lips drawn back in the grimace of one who has set aside all reason. 

"Who are you to utter their names?" he hisses. 

:ooc: Two excellent responses, so you now have Arbogast's attention.  Treat it carefully - we're now in an Encounter and, to keep up the tension, I'm not going to let you know what the Tolerance is (though an Insight roll will give you some indication). 

Tom, I'm going to say that Hathycn's Swift trait will give you the opportunity to close and make a Dagger roll.  On an extraordinary success, he'll have tackled Arbogast and knocked him down.  A great success means that you've grappled his axe-arm and he can't attack with it until he frees himself by beating the result with a Dagger roll of his own.  A plain success means Hathcyn's just put himself in the way and Arbogast is free to attack as normal.  Nothing triggers violence like violence, though, so this is a risky tactic!  Fail the roll and someone is likely to die. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: hmmm that is not playing to my strengths at all. Paul, what about something more creative here? Inspire says it doesnt work to move someone in an opposite direction. How about Hunting? The skill desc says it may be used to train hunting dogs. abrogast seems pretty feral at the moment to me. I'm thinking the techniques of working with an animal may be better suited in this case than with the reasoning of a man.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Jul 18, 2022, 06:49 PM #7 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2022, 07:15 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: I'm open to it - just give me a good justification.  Lots of games assume that 'active' skills also assume a penumbra of knowledge about the activity, and an ability to discuss it, so almost anything might be arguable.

EDIT: Crap - I've just realised that I didn't put this in my earlier post, despite meaning to: 2e fixes the Dagger skill by simply fixing it at one die less than your best weapon skill, which is a simple and elegant solution to a problem that's bugged me since I first read the rules.  I say we adopt it here and now.  Anyone who's spent points on the skill can re-allocate them during the Fellowship phase. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: better option now, but still dicey. (Ha!) i'm going to tap my nature wary and use Hunting because that seems more fun.

Hathcyn let his spear fall to the ground and put his out palms down before the crazed man. He cocked his head to the side and made a sound like a teamster does to settle a startled or frightened animal.

"Whoa Firewatcher. Let us not be hasty. Shhh let's take a moment."

Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10

Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 6, total 17
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

For a while, and later none could say for certain how long, the Fire-watcher says nothing.  He stays poised, his axe-hand raised, until his arm begins to tremble with weariness.  Then he slowly lets it lower, though he does not permit it to fall beyond the point of readiness. 

"What am I to do..." he mumbles, and it is not clear whether he addresses the Longspear, or if he himself even knows that he speaks. 

:ooc: Tom, nicely done.  You're three successes up (and an AP - :csu:) in a single roll.  Doug, feel free to deal yourself in at any time - it's not like Esgalwen needs to introduce herself! 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Yea, sorry for the delay at my end. There has been a lot of struggles going on here, but now they are over.

Esgalwen will make an inspiration roll to help her friend overcome his doubts and shadow. I will use Noble Lineage to help with the roll (roll Feat x2 and keep best):
TN -- inspire 2d
:00: 2d12 : 4, 3, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 5, total 6

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: That is a shit result.

I will add some narrative in a little bit.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Now that the Woodman seemed less inclined to violence and Esgalwen had tried to inspire him Hathcyn thought to call forth the mind of his friend through memory.

Though not a singer by trade or practice he sought to lull his friend through the comfortable and familiar. The Foresthelm hummed and attempted to recall the songs from the Field of Heroes and those he heard in WoodHall. He edged slightly closer to the Wizard.

:ooc: Not my best skill, but I'm going to try song along my path of indirect intervention. If nothing else it will be mechanical chance to use some seldom used skills on Hathcyns part.

Song
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"Arbogast, my friend, have pity," Esgalwen pleads, approaching slowly with her empty palms outstretched.  "She does not deserve..."

"SPEAK NOT OF WHAT SHE DESERVES!" comes the instant reply, the Fire-watcher wheeling about to level the head of his axe at the Ranger, his voice shrill and shrieking.  "Why should she have my pity?  Will she fetch the bones of my daughter and make them live again?  Will she send her waters to wash away a mother's nightmare, and a father's?  Will she bring...  She..." 

He trails off, tears welling in his eyes as Hathcyn wordlessly hums the familiar songs of the Wood-folk, the long-hafted axe hanging now heavy in his hand. 

:ooc: Apologies, Doug, if I've stomped all over your plans - I didn't see that you were going to add some narration until I went back and re-read the thread.  Meanwhile, Tom continues his outrageous streak of good rolls, placing you at five successes for a single failure. 

Character sheet