• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 08:25 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

In the Shadow of Mount Gundabad

Started by Eclecticon, Jan 09, 2022, 02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: It occurs to me that he could burn a Fellowship point instead, kicking the can down the road a little.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Jan 21, 2022, 03:08 PM #46 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2022, 03:13 PM by tomcat
Esgalwen saw Essylt collapse to the ground, groveling as she did, and she looked to the terrible sigil. Her mind clouded and the gooseflesh rose across her skin from no chill wind, but only the casted shadow.

Deep within her thoughts, she saw the white walls of Minas Tirith and the Pelennor Fields surrounding, but all was gray as with a sickness - as if something stretched its malign presence across her homeland and it came from Mordor.

Your city will burn, she heard whispered. The last vestiges of Númenor will be wiped from Middle-earth and your folk will become chattel under my domain.

The gray sickness set into plant and stone and the walls of the White City cracked and living things died. But then, atop the prominence of the city where stood the Tower of Ecthelion, a light shone and she heard a new voice speak, And the Crownless shall be King.

Within her heart, a strength rose and Esgalwen staved off the Shadow that loomed over them, "No," she said to no one in particular, "It is a lie. You are a lie."

The shadow became naught else but a blocking of the sun, and the Ranger felt her comfort return, though she could make nothing else of the portent.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: i thought of the fellowship pool too but wasnt sure. Seems kinda early in the adventure to become miserable.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'll throw it open to the (notional) table.  Anyone have an opinion?

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'll give it another few hours, but if nobody's responded by the this evening, Tom, go ahead and take a Fellowship point.  Then, unless anyone else wants to put some viewpoint narration up, I'll move the story along.

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: no issue with the Fellowship point.

The light split Grimbeorn's mind.  He saw one by one his companions falling prey to sling and arrow blade of the Enemy.  His home burned and cruelly defiled.   The Carrock broken and black as if from dark powers's blast of eldritch energy.  Crowd and wargs fed upon carcasses. The eagles pocked with black- fletched arrows innumerable. The great word both burning but teeming with foul creature beyond count swarms. A great bear's last defense.  A mocking laughter that he's heard before echoes.

A pale silver light shines out of the West and a clear ringing voice — female —is heard. Words of hope and love, of sacrifice and honor beat back this rage and oppression.  His heart is once again kindled.

Focus in his eyes return and he goes to help Esgalwen with their new charge.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Hathcyn no longer saw the ruin of the old work of men nor did he feel the wind of the mountain. Instead, he saw a great hill raised by the labor of men at the entrance to the forest road. A great hall of stone had been built upon it and the size and scope was more in keeping with a great hall of the dwarves, but above ground instead of under it.
Like the vision of a bird his perspective changed and now he saw inside the hall. A great green slab of stone from Erebor had been carved into a throne and he saw himself sitting upon it. His vision changed again and he could see through his own eyes from the throne. Beside him in form fitting black fish mail was Aestid. A great bear fur hung over her shoulders, her neck sparkling with fire rubys. Terrible and fierce to behold a Warrior Queen standing guard by his side and free to command. 
Then horns rang and Viglund, now hobbled and maimed, a broken man, ushered visitors into his hall. First was Aestid's brother. He approached the stone throne and laying prostate before it spoke of his offering of cattle and wheat from the north.  Here was tribute to the King of the Vales. Then came Mogdred to offer swords and men.  Then Arbogast came to kneel before him, and then Esgalwen refugee from destroyed Gondor who poured him wine into the skull chalice of his defeated foe. The once mighty Wolfslayer's skull now held wine for the new King of the Vale.

Upon the mountain the lips of Hathcyn trembled, and tears rolled from his eyes at the sheer strength and power that filled him. "We have no kings and these are my friends not vassals. What dream is this in my mind that started sweet and turned so sour..."
Hathcyn pulled himself back to the mountain and the present. "what devilry is this place? Are not the minds of men ever safe to keep their own thoughts?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: I had no problem with the Fellowship point, either - especially since Esgalwen cannot use them. So you guys use at need.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: So let it be!  Hathcyn uses a Fellowship point to stave off the Shadow gain, and doesn't become Miserable after all.  :csu:

Character sheet

Eclecticon

The howling of wolves accompanies the clearing of the baleful visions from the companions' minds, the sound carrying across the darkening sky.  By unspoken but unanimous agreement, they tarry no longer by the broken and desecrated watchtower.  Esgalwen and Hathcyn seize Essylt beneath her fur-clad arms as Arbogast points the way to a cold and swift-flowing creek where they might escape pursuit and Grimbeorn readies axe and shield to dissuade any over-eager pursuers.  As they approach their destination, Esgalwen starts releases the hill-woman and begins tugging at her own sark.  "Drop any clothing you can spare by the bank," she says, "and cast any food you can spare windward.  We will go with the wind until we can find another safe place." 

The hill-woman slumps to the ground, speaking in the tongue of her folk, muttering strange-sounding words that none among the company can comprehend, her mind still lost in the torments of the Eye. 

:ooc: This next part is going to be a contest between the party and the leader of the pursuing wolves.  I'm going to run it like an Encounter – you suggest skills you're going to use to escape pursuit (e.g. Athletics to keep running, Inspire to snap Essylt out of her delirium, Riddle to disguise the trail, etc.).  Most rolls will be opposed by the wolves.  Get seven successes and you've escaped.  Rack up two failures and the wolves will have caught you. 

I'll open with a roll from Esgalwen (as the person with the best Stealth score) to slow down the pursuit. 

Esgalwen Stealth (TN 14)
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 6, total 16

Wolves Perception (TN 14)
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6+5 : 5, 4 + 5, total 14

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Ye gods, Esgalwen certainly knows how to do this!  That's three successes already!   

Character sheet

Telcontar

(Going to try and read the lay of the land and the direction of the wind. So travel or insight? Both are 3d for me. Though some how I will get three eyes)

Hathcyn had spent time in the woods and the fix knew how to hide when pursued.

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 1, total 11
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Is that  :g: :%: :%: worth the last AP point in my Movement Group? I will wait to hear. If you need a trait to use in tandem, maybe Adventurous?

Eclecticon

:ooc: You're all good, Doug - I've already marked the AP on her character sheet.

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc:
Grimbeorn scouts the best, most expedient route for them to go.

:00:
Travel -  1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 1, 2, 4, total 8

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16