• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 02:29 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

CHAPTER 11 - The Siege of Black Tarn Hall

Started by Eclecticon, Jul 11, 2021, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

"Then breakfast will be quicker as we leave with all haste," replied Grimbeorn.  "Send word to my father as to this news and request a small mounted company to be ready to meet us on the way.  Also, bounders at the border must step up their watch lest we and others are made target as well."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Jul 14, 2021, 03:35 PM #16 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2021, 09:22 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: I feel I should chime in here to point out that, with Hathcyn's Standing and standard of living, the Fox's Tale isn't crawling with servants.  In fact, there's a good chance it's only him there most of the time (Tom - I'm open to your input).  By all means, go and request men from Beorn (or directly at some of the nearby steadings) - but you'll have to go there yourselves.   

Bear in mind also that there are Woodmen settlements on the way where you could ask for reinforcements for the Tarn. 

Also also (and I know I keep coming back to this but that's 'cause it's important) the issue here isn't just warriors, but supplies.  It's no good bringing hundreds of men to break the siege if there's nothing for them to eat when they get there. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Wasn't planning on a large force, a handful of men at best to ride at speed because of the reasons you gave; wouldn't be surprised if none come available/ready.  Not like Beornings have a huge standing army either.

No messenger birds/animals about?
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

Jul 14, 2021, 07:54 PM #18 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2021, 08:00 PM by Telcontar
"Lord your father is aware of the need for help, but not it's nature."

Hathcyn thought for a moment. The place was small, but there was some traffic on the road now. He marveled that just yesterday he had thought to set up stores of food and men and now their value was manifest. He also thought of his treasure he had stored up to help advance his plans and to take a bride. Now it lay buried in several places, his hoarded wealth one with the earth.

"Lord there are some men to be found. Those who have worked and maintained the road. Few guards from the forts will come if they hear the southern wood is crawling with goblins, they will look to their own defenses. The workers though may be persuaded to come. By their nature they are landless and will have little to hold them in one place or another."

"The wine caravan is here as well. I'll explain our need for provisions to them. Perhaps they will sell us what they have in store with coin to buy more at a leisurely pace we do. Ot have time for. If words fail I shall see if coin is more persuasive."

"Your companion Bandy Halfman is not far. His steading is closer than Beorn's and he has about him several men and stores of food. Last I heard his visit with the white wizard was profitable and he builds a water wheel to grind grains. This will cost us a day at least. Let me see what may be found here at hand before we decide."

:ooc: Paul i want to attempt two things. 1. Use my standing such as it is and my influence to recruit any of the road workers who are near by and may know Hathcyn. 2. Talk to the wine merchants to but their supplies and anything else I may have on hand at the alehouse. If the wine guys sell us their stores. They can then head to Bandy's to buy resupply their.

I'd like to know how much of each I can get and how much treasure it will cost me. I'm guessing the poorer I roll the more it costs. Or will treasure provide a bonus to the roll?

Esgalwen might be the best choice for persuade.

I have inspire and persuade 2. And can spend treasure on this to make it happen.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Tom, this'll cost you Treasure either way.  I'll say one point to buy the wine merchants' supplies, plus another if you fail a Persuade roll.  Per your suggestion, I'll let Esgalwen do the rolling:
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 4, 6, total 13

You'll be able to pick up some more substantial supplies at Bandy's steading (which I notice isn't on the map - Doug, did we ever settle on a firm location for it?  If not, Tom, feel free to set one). 

As for followers, you'll need to go to at least the Westfort and give a rousing speech - there's no-one much in the near vicinity. 

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jul 14, 2021, 07:12 PMNot like Beornings have a huge standing army either.
:ooc: Nope.  Standing armies are very much Not A Thing.  Even Gondor probably doesn't keep a huge permanent force at hand. 

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jul 14, 2021, 07:12 PMNo messenger birds/animals about?
Lots, probably.  Can any of you talk to them?

Character sheet

Telcontar

"Lord we should consider taking the river to the Black Tarn. We can take the road east and then send the supplies by water. I doubt the Goblins will have boats."

:ooc: it was in the rolling part of the country that resembled the wild shire. With water, a tobacco farm. At this poibt he is probably half a thane by now. He had men with him at the battle of stonyford.

I used desperation and the player "grasping at straws" technique to bail us out.

I guess we also should talk about goals. Do we break the siege? Evacuate the town? Defeat the goblins? Ride if to certain doin with songs on our lips?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"We need naught but a few doughty arms to accompany us as we must move with all haste.  Provisions for the trek should be light to aid our speed.  I do not like the lack of the full tale but we should do as we can to scout the area, be it Man or animal," mused Grimbeorn.  "I am leery of the safety of the boats myself, not because of their worthiness or my lack of confidence upon the water, but the tales that our friend has told of the wilding and creeping darkness of waters about his land; it is not all wholesome as it had been in the past and we don't know how far up the disease has spread.  Esgalwen, please speak your mind to these matters and temper my discomfort."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Jul 15, 2021, 03:20 PM #22 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2021, 03:31 PM by tomcat
Esgalwen looked to her friends and countered, "To find the river and take it to the Tarn would put us at a slower pace than that of horse. Long have we Rangers of Ithilien used the river Anduin for movement, but that river is great and strong. The Dusky River is one noted for its slow meander and many stagnations from root and knot. Nay, I say we move south by horse.

"Besides, it gives us access to greater offerings of needed aid - if only in the form of supplies. Woodland Hall, Woodmen Town and Rhosgobel lie along our path and certainly the efforts of Arbogast in protecting these lands should make said aid worthy recompense. Since the first Folk-moot has he participated in the efforts of securing these lands, and great has been the price he paid." A slight twinge of anger could be heard in her voice, "They all owe him this!"

Breaking a small end from a stale loaf of bread and a slice of bacon, Esgalwen turned before her thoughts might bring a reply. "I go to ready myself and will seek you here to see what path you have determined."

It did not take long for the Gondorian. She quickly doffed her night clothes and then went about the task of dressing. She wore her traditional garb of the Rangers - having had new clothing made for her in Dale. Over her shoulder went her baldric, upon which hung Nimronyn, and then her quiver overtop. Only the badge of her station was new - appointed as she was to the Queen's guard - and it hung proudly securing her cloak about her neck.

All the while, Esgalwen thought of her friend; his family; his lost child; and all that he had sacrificed to secure his home and the lands that he loved. Not once had Arbogast asked for any reward for his risk, save to be able to live in his home and raise his family. A family that she loved. Once more it was threatened and Esgalwen would do her part to see it preserved.

She was not gone for more than fifteen minutes, returning to find Grimbeorn and Hathcyn once more.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: To the question regarding where Bandy has set up his home, I do not know if we pegged it down. I do see on our player map under RESOURCES that there is a location called the Easterly Inn. Didn't Bandy take over that burnt down inn?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Nope - the inn is burned and gone.  Its last survivors have either headed home or have moved in with Bandy (at least one of them accompanied him to Stánford).

It took me a while, but I've found the only real description of Bandy's steading - it's south-east of Beorn's House, which puts it neatly between that and where I take the Fox's Tale to be (i.e. right where the road enters western Mirkwood).  I'd say it's an easy day's walk north-west of where you currently are. 

Doug, do you want to still be in charge of updating the map?

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: i have been meaning to do an update on Bandy. He has been using the time well, is probably married now, and has quite a spread going. Being a prosperous person in a land of frugal people makes the coin go far!

Someday he will return.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Jul 16, 2021, 04:02 AM #26 Last Edit: Jul 16, 2021, 04:19 AM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Martial people, but yes - your point stands. 

To add to Doug's point about the Woodmen settlements above, you would all be aware, on some level or another, that Ingomer Axebreaker, long-standing war leader of the Woodmen (and erstwhile father of Mogdred) is based in Woodland Hall.  His voice would sway a lot of warriors your way.

Finally, am I right in thinking that the plan is to head out to Bandy's hall first?

Character sheet

Telcontar

I forgot all the woodmen places are along the way.

I go back to my first question. What is our goal? That will shape our approach. I was looking at Bandy's as a place to get a surplus of food stuff. Woodmen might be lean after winter. If we went to him it would be for supplies and the woodmen would be a source for the fyrd.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Matt is keeping quiet and Doug seems agnostic as to plans:
Quote from: tomcat on Jul 15, 2021, 03:20 PM"I go to ready myself and will seek you here to see what path you have determined."

Tom, if you come up with something that seems like it makes sense, the others will be happy to go with it. 

I, of course, will do my duty as a GM and make sure that it doesn't work out as envisioned. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I will keep the map updated. I will add Bandy's homestead.

As for being agnostic - how? I presented my character's thoughts and wait for the consensus. These are Beorn's/Grimbeorn's people being rallied and Esgalwen has no say on what they do. Still, her opinion was asked and presented.