• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 01:33 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Confrontation in the Gloom - Round 6

Started by Eclecticon, Jun 15, 2021, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: I see Old Lore as more stuff in the Third Age - anything before that is Elven Lore.  But I don't care that much.  Awesome teamwork there, guys - I've given you an AP each!
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

As Hathcyn and Esgalwen issue their brave cries, the light shining around the edge of Esgaroth's timbers grows brighter for a moment as the heavy winter clouds part momentarily.  The remaining mortal assailants need no further urging but turn and flee at once, the Ringwraith's spell forced from their hearts.  One casts himself into the wintry water, the other darts toward plank paths that wind further into the hidden depths beneath Lake-Town. 

The poor unfortunate sees never again the light of day, however, for not two steps has he taken before he stops as if poleaxed.  Before him, Laeral sees the spectral form of the Nazgûl draw its raiment about it, winding the very substance of shadow itself into a dark, heavy robe and cowl.  Last of all appears a claw which once was the hand of a man born free of service to darkness, now clutching and crushing the throat of a Lake-Town pauper. 

Revealed, the Haunter of the Lake Shore casts aside what was its thrall and advances.  As it was years before in the shadow of mount Gundabad, the fire of four face the darkness of one. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Laeral gets an action, and then it's the Haunter's turn...

Character sheet

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Jun 17, 2021, 03:39 AM:ooc: I see Old Lore as more stuff in the Third Age - anything before that is Elven Lore.  But I don't care that much.  Awesome teamwork there, guys - I've given you an AP each!

:ooc: That makes good sense.

Is it safe to assume that she might have read old books in Gondor that speak of the beginning of the Second Age and the settling of Númenor? It might have hinted at Beleriand, too? I only ask, because I love to use the Tolkien's lore in our games, but I completely understand that the short lives of mortals does not allow for the vast catalog of ancient histories.

Anyway, on to the game... shits getting a little crazy now. I hope we have the mettle to solve this challenge.  ;D

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Hesitant as I am to run other people's characters, I'm going to put Laeral on autopilot for another round.  Matt, pipe up when you're back so I know to stop doing this. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Lacho calad! Drego morn! cries the Elf, still in her youth as her ancient folk reckon it, calling out the battle cry of the North in ancient days.  Then, in a quicksilver motion, she raises her bow and lets an arrow fly. 

:ooc:  She's shooting at the Haunter, obviously. 
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 3, 6, total 10

Quote from: tomcat on Jun 17, 2021, 07:05 AMIs it safe to assume that she might have read old books in Gondor that speak of the beginning of the Second Age and the settling of Númenor? It might have hinted at Beleriand, too?
I think that's reasonable.  If not, she's certainly heard stories - quite possibly from Laeral.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's so close to being a serious hit!  I'm going to go ahead and spend a Hope point to make it one, as it seems like that's what Matt would do in the circumstances.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Laeral's arrow strikes the Haunter high, disappearing through the black robe into whatever shadow-form it might conceal.  The Ringwraith, uncaring and perhaps entirely unfeeling, sways for a moment before rushing soundlessly forwards.  One clawed hand draws a long sword of dull steel from a scabbard that was not there a moment before, and the other extends toward the two Men, weaving its black sorcery about them.  Hopelessness descends upon them like a heavy shroud as the will of the Shadow itself batters their souls

:ooc: Both Hathcyn and Arbogast need to make a Corruption test against TN 18 or fall unconscious from the Black Breath (and gain a Shadow point).  Failure with a :~~: brings its own special penalties. 

Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 5, 2, 4, total 12

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 4, 5, 5, total 19

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Were he not Weary, Arbogast would've sailed right through that.  As it is... these are the times that Hope is for. 

The Haunter will also spend a Hate point to Bewilder Arbogast, reducing his Parry score to the basic number from his stance (nine, in this case), and attack him. 

:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6+8 : 2, 5 + 8, total 15

Character sheet

Eclecticon

The tip of the Nazgûl's blade weaves hypnotically in the dimness, and for a time the Fire-watcher's mind is at the mercy of its spell, his mind elsewhere. 

I am drowning beneath the waters of the Black Tarn!  Where I had hoped beyond hope to take Wilone's tiny, soft hand once again in mine, there is only heavy wood.  Down the weight will draw me into the depths where lie only bones and silence...

His eyes glazed, he slowly lowers both axe and shield as the Ringwraith lunges.  But the wary instincts earned in many battles against the Shadow's servants are not so easily lost, and he wrenches the muscles in his sides to throw himself aside at the last second. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hatchyn moved Forward. Space was tight but his friend had already suffered blows and he hoped that the great strength of his people would serve him. He felt the assault on his senses, he knew their strength and power were greater than his own, but here he was and it was up to him to react. If only the light of day were here, to feel the warmth and fight under the sun.

"Though there be no light of day, feel the warmth of my steel shade "

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 4, total 10
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Jun 17, 2021, 07:56 PMHis eyes glazed, he slowly lowers both axe and shield as the Ringwraith lunges.  But the wary instincts earned in many battles against the Shadow's servants are not so easily lost, and he wrenches the muscles in his sides to throw himself aside at the last second.
:ooc: I am confused - was that the attack on Arbogast, or the Bewilder roll?

I am trying to understand how Arbogast's Parry was affected, as it seems a 21 would hit no matter what. I am not trying to GM, just get insight as to what happened.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: The roll was for the attack - the Haunter can bewilder folks just by spending a Hate point.

Character sheet