• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:26 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Lowly and the Dead

Started by Eclecticon, May 04, 2021, 03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

:ooc: is it possible any of this treasure is what Hathcyn saw passing hands briefly in the square? Or did he not get enough of a look?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: That is entirely possible, though there's no way to be sure. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I think I'm ready to move on to investigate the those buildings mentioned.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: yeah sorry. I was going to do sone exposition but havnt had the time.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: No worries, Tom.  Can I take it from Matt's comment, your comments, and Doug's silence that
a) we're all done here, and
b) you're ready to go looking for a warehouse near the market pool with an iron ladder?

Character sheet

tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Despite the hour nearing noon, the day is dim beneath thick winter clouds that gather from the east, as if to chase away the sun, and the silence of dead men and superstitious guards inside the gaol is matched by the silence of empty streets without.   Though the Men of Lake-Town are inured to the icy winds of the north, the tales of unknown murderers hidden in their midst has driven most all of them to find business by their hearths and kinfolk.  Throughout the merchant's district, shutters and doors alike are shut and barred, and only the occasional cat watches from the rooftops as the company pass by. 

Then, carried on the wind, come raucous voices lifting in song.  The words cannot be made out from so far away, but Hathcyn marks the melody as a working song popular among the northern Beorning clans.  Wulfdan's men, no doubt, he thinks, abroad in quest of the mysterious Solveig

"I have had occasion to visit some of the warehouses around the market pool," Arbogast ventures, "and I could perhaps hazard which of them might have the iron ladder we seek." 

"But why squander our time in guesswork when we could approach from the waters and see what we need at once?" Laeral retorts.  "I am known to a few in the Elven Quarter here, and have precious things enough to induce one of the raft-Elves to part with their conveyance for a while." 

The Fire-watcher shrugs a single shoulder and looks expectantly toward Hathcyn and Esgalwen. 

:ooc: I wondered about just skipping past this, but decided a question with potential tactical import probably should be left to you guys. 

Character sheet

tomcat

"Is it wise for all four of us to approach upon the raft? We would be easy to ambush and a raft is not the most stable of crafts to engage a foe." Esgalwen thought of her days plying the waterways of Ithilien with her fellow rangers, poling slowly down mist-covered rivers. One staving them along while two others were always vigilant with bow at the ready.

She continued her thought, "This is not a large town and it is easy to see any who transit the waterways under the pilings. Perhaps two should approach upon the raft seeking out these iron rungs, while the other two follow along the avenues above?"

:ooc: If we are all in agreement, then Esgalwen will elect to be the archer on the raft. If we all think she is being overly cautious, she will consent to the party's will. We don't need to hold the story up longer for a debate.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Hathcyn pondered the elf's words and that of the ranger.

"If this were the boats of the Lake folk that we took across the river before our captivity I would say no. These elven rafts however carry barrels of wine and are flat and sturdy. This would be a better platform to fight from than hanging from an iron peg over the tomb of Smaug. The raft will allow us to see more and at greater distances. The ladder will need to go somewhere, i doubt that they have their congress in the deeps of the lake. Perhaps there is a landing or a room built below the level we walk on? In any case I think the raft a good idea. Our fair maidens can cover us with their bows while we make with any required knife work. Also we should bring hooded lanterns. In this way we may be able to spy above us and into the dark corners, but not mark our passage with flaming torches."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Esgalwen nodded, "Raft it is, then. Let us be on our way."

Telcontar

"It would be best if someone else asked to borrow the boat. Our record of returning them once borrowed isnt great."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

All eyes turned to Laeral.

GandalfOfBorg

May 23, 2021, 05:01 AM #27 Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 05:05 AM by GandalfOfBorg
(-D  (-D  (-D  (-D

Laeral, not catching the jest between the old friends, stared a bit blankly back at the others.  "Oh me, you'd like me to acquire the raft?  Alright, this maiden will be back shortly with one.  But I dare say returning it would be high in its owner's desires," she replied narrowing her eyes slightly at Hathcyn.

The elf departed quickly for the quarter where her kin resided, seeking out a willing bargeman that would consent to loaning the group a raft.  They had the support of the prince, so she sought out one of the king's bargmen first.

Courtesy -  1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

He called after her, "We wanted to return the last one too! It got complicated, I lost teeth over it!"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Oh god, I shot tea out of my nose when I read that. 

Character sheet