• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:39 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Bright Days and Dark Words - the second day

Started by Eclecticon, Apr 18, 2021, 09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: I love the idea that the prophecy of the return of the King Under the Mountain got confused over the years, and actually refers to the return of Thrain's bones during the Council.  I never even thought of that when I was planning this out, so full marks to Tom (and take an automatic AP for Song out of petty cash - :csu: ).
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Though he does not rise from his seat, King Dain nods and smiles through his beard at Hathcyn's poetry.  "So it must be.  Nor can I think of any better to make investigations than you and yours, who have been at the heart of this matter since it began.  For my part, I name Hathcyn, herald of the Beornings, as my representative in this inquiry." 

"And I name Esgalwen of Gondor," adds Mogdred, "who has always seen good in my followers while others," he favours Arbogast with a dark glance "name us thieves and murderers." 

"And what of you, Grimbeorn son of Beorn?"  asks Gailar, speaker for the Woodmen.  "You have treated with the wizards in days gone by, and none doubt your prowess as a foe of the dark things of Middle-Earth.  Will you favour us with your experience?" 

Grimbeorn's lack of enthusiasm must surely show on his countenance, for the Master swiftly adds "If this Council is to live up to its promise, all the Free Peoples of the North must be seen to have their say." 

Then, from the floor, the Fire-watcher speaks.  "My lords, though I am not of high birth, I have long journeyed at Grimbeorn's side.  I know his mind, I believe, as well as any man living, and I will speak for him in his absence, if such he will allow, for his strong arm and stout heart should not be set aside in the struggle that is surely to come." 

But the Beorning thegns do not take this well.  "What madness is this?" calls Wulfdan Broken-jaw.  "Shall a slim-shouldered Woodman, with no ancestor-spirit, speak for the Folk of the Bear?  I tell you, it is far better that I speak for Grimbeorn, who have lived among the clans of the vales all my born days and know the heart of their law-giver, for it is my own!" 

The Master, seeing a new argument forming only moments after the old one has been set aside, begins to pinch his nose again. 

:ooc: Matt - you've got a decision to make.  Do you want to delgate Grimbeorn's place at the Council to Arbogast or Wulfdan?  Or would you prefer that Grimbeorn takes his seat and sit out this portion of the adventure? 

In the latter case, Laeral is available for you to take over if you would like. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

All of a sudden the weight of his responsibility was upon him like a landslide.  A clearer head prevailed, no longer muddled with the fury of battle and heat of argument.  Mayhaps a full stomach helped.

"Though I lead by example with my axe in the fight for justice against the Darkness, I must also lead with my example.  I will remain with this council, it is my primary charge.  In this inquiry Gailar, Arbogast should represent your folk, I can think of no one better though his wife might. As for mine own folk, Wuldan, yes, you shall have the honor to stand for us with my blessing and trust.  I pray you stay safe and unfailing in your charge."

:ooc: Sigh, duty wins.  I assume Legolas puts up Laeral as a representative of the Woodland-elves...
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: matt, are you bowing out of the council or the adventure? 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: It looks like he is bowing out of the adventure with Grimbeorn staying at the council. What character he takes on in the meantime is to be seen, I guess.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Depending on how things go, he may not be out of the adventure entirely - he'll just be discussing Council business while everything else is going on. 

In case it's not clear, Gailar is already acting as the Woodmen's representative, and Legolas is speaking for the Woodland Realm. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

The weight of the responsibilities placed on his shoulders by his father is plain to see as Grimbeorn takes his seat, as is the relief on the face of the Master as it breaks into a merchant's broad smile.  "Marvellous!  Then, as we are all present and events have focused our minds, might I suggest that we discuss the declaration in Mordor, and what aid we might expect from the wizards?" 

As the Council's deliberations begin, Wulfdan approaches the Hathcyn, his mouth drawn into a lopsided grin.  "Fear not, faithful hound of the æthling" he says.  "Though our numbers be small, I shall organise the warriors of the Beornings into search parties.  I shall find those behind this morning's attack and make known the extent of our lord's displeasure!" 

:ooc: With all that out of the way, it's over to you guys again.  Doug, you wanted to look for 'Solveig', whoever she is.  Matt, Tom, what are your thoughts on how to find out what's going on? 

Also, Matt, if you want to take over Laeral her sheet is here

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Apr 28, 2021, 12:38 PM #22 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2021, 12:45 PM by GandalfOfBorg
 :ooc: I am leaving Grimbeorn to his duties with the Council for now; it is his place to do so in this matter. He can't leave it to others.  He trusts his companions to reign in Wulfdan as needed, but he must also learn to trust his folk as well.

As for what's next, Laeral wants to look over the bodies taken for anything of interest that could lead to who is behind this.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

:ooc: The bodies will most likely be at the gaol while the guards make inquiries about next of kin.  You'd need to do some talking to get in and see them, or you could wait until dark and break in. 

I'll wait to hear what Doug and Tom's plans are before I move the story on. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Apr 29, 2021, 06:51 AM #24 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2021, 04:04 AM by tomcat
As the council made their announcements and then settled back into the business of speaking, Esgalwen moved towards the doors of the hall. She looked back once more to see Grimbeorn watching them leave - a look of envy for their freedom - and then she turned to Arbogast.

"I am off to speak with the locals of Lake-town. I will first make my way to the House of the Dead to look upon this archer once more and to ask if he is recognized here as a towns-man. If that leads no where, I will at least visit the washers, seamstresses, and local pubs to find any news on this woman named Solveig. If nothing pans out, then my time will be a waste, but I see no other evident leads. Join me if you will."

Esgalwen left the chamber with her mind on Mogdred's words. Oft she had supported him and his folk, but too many times now he had shown that said support could be misused. Then her thoughts went to Ceawin - perhaps a visit to his folk, too, might garner something new. After all, the man had ordered the unearthing of things and then brought them here.

:ooc: That is her plan. I can deviate it easily if someone has a better option and can see a more clearer clue. She will go alone, if necessary, and it does not need to be a long side thread, Paul, if I am chasing shadows.

Also - to clarify again in my brain (as it seems forever ago that we talked about him), Ceawin DID have things unearthed and brought here, right? For some reason, this thought in my head points to him.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: ceawin 100% did that. Tracking down the transport guys via the customs guys at the toll house is a clear connection. I debated calling him out for judgement but went all Merkin and the round table instead. Also I am going along with the assumption we have consular powers to investigate this matter and then report back what we find. Each of us with a sponsor on the council. In a broad sense we speak for the council and in a specific sense we speak for our sponsor on the council. So for instance my requests of dwarves would have the weight of Dain behind them. Where as together we can probably leverage the weight if the whole council.

If we want to hit the goal first I think its a good group activity to show we too are working in unison.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: I am certainly ready to combine efforts. It was not my intent to have Esgalwen roll off on her own chase. I just didn't want to post for the whole party.

GandalfOfBorg

"I am with you," says Laeral to Esgalwen.  "These perversions are unlike those I can recall in my days.  I feel like there is something related to Man about it as well, maybe a bit of old sorcery maybe from the ancient North."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

:ooc: Nice stuff, guys.  Expect a post from me tomorrow - it's been a long weekend here and I've had some important fatherly stuff to do. 

Character sheet