• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 02:17 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Games - Day 1

Started by tomcat, Jun 06, 2019, 06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 06, 2019, 06:59 AM Last Edit: Jun 06, 2019, 09:07 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Okay - I am going to try to create a narrative/dialogue thread for your players to interact with for each day, all the while in the background the games will be played. Feel free to narrate/dialogue for your character as they watch games, walk the grounds, dance, eat, drink, or whatever, all the while doing the narration/dialogue for the contest for which you are rolling. Let's make this a 'living' world.

As I assigned the clans to each of you to 'control' in the previous thread, so will each of you make the rolls for their competitors. I will make sure each of you know your assigned clans at the top of each game day thread. With this control, I give you liberty to be creative and narrate/dialogue for your athlete, give them a unique name (unless already given) and determine their skills. I will list the rules below:

1) Naming - If not named, give your contestant a name that you like.
2) Skill - Determine their level of skill. Because this is to be the 'best of the best' taking the field to play in these contests, no contestant will be under 3 in skill rank. You will roll 1d4+2 to assign the ranks for that NPC and I will keep it logged.
3) Compete - Each contestant will make an athletics roll at their given rank and the results will be determined. A TN 14 must be achieved to even succeed at the contest. Any result under TN 14 will mean simply the contestant falls out unable to complete the game. Their could be potential side result (see below). The rolls will then be compared to see who scored the best by degree of success ( :%: ). A :g: will determine an auto-success and win unless another player rolls the same and then it will be determined by success dice results. An :~~: will mean the player has failed at the contest no matter their total score, and may have potentially harmed themselves (see below).
4) Winner - Once the rolls are made and compared, the winner will be decided and the brackets will be updated for each game - until the final winner has been decided.
5) Injuries- as in all games and sports, there can be injuries. If a contestant rolled poorly on their roll (either under TN 14 or an :~~: ), I will ask for another athletics TN 14 roll to be made. If failed, the competitor is injured badly and is out of the games. If their first roll had been an :~~: they are automatically out of the games, but if this second result is another :~~:, the player is slain in some fashion by accident.
6) Spite - Lastly, with all sporting events there can be spitefulness. When a competitor is removed, I would like you to roll a TN 14 Valour roll (rank 3) for said competitor to determine how they, their team, or even their clan, react to the loss. If it was due to an :~~:, remove 1 rank from the roll. If someone died remove 2 ranks from the roll. We will roleplay out any spiteful reactions as they occur. Obviously, the primary spite will be directed towards the Toft-men and vice versa, so we will see how this works out.
7) Games - I plan on having two games being played per day.
8) GM Fiat - as in all things I make up on the fly, I am allowed to adjust at need. ;) ;D Also, feel free to add any ideas of your own if you think something might work better.

I am going to also allow each player to sacrifice one :vv: point on a contestant, per bracket, to help them if things go poorly. If that contestant wins the entire game, you'll get all of your :vv: points back that you spent on them.

My next post will give you guys the list of clans you control and the brackets for the first set of games. Some of the competitors will have generic names (i.e. Mountain Man 1) and it will be for you to name them.

Have fun!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jun 06, 2019, 07:09 AM #1 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2019, 07:45 AM by tomcat
:ooc: What clans you will control and narrate/dialogue for on each game day. Understand, if there is no competitor from said clan, you don't need to do anything until the next day that has said clan. Understand that the clan might include surrounding territories - not just the particular town.

WH - Woodland Hall [Tom]
WT - Woodmen-town [Tom]
BT - Black Tarn [Paul]
RL - Rhosgobel [Paul]
MH- Mountain Hall [Matt]
TC - The Carrock [Matt]
TT - The Toft/Tyrant's Hill [Doug]
SD - Sunstead [Doug]

I think that is it. Let me know if I missed anyone within the clans. Give me a few more minutes - starting the brackets now for game day 1.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jun 06, 2019, 07:44 AM #2 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2019, 07:15 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Game Day 1 events:

Wood Splitting and Log tossing [Contests]

• all clans have three competitors in both events, but the Toft-men, Mountain Hall-men, and Beornings are somewhat weak in these events and so will each suffer a -3 to their athletics rolls. Each contest will be two competitors and we will bracket down through eliminations. I will keep the table in this post and adjust with each result below:

1st Bracket2st Bracket3rd Bracket4th Bracket5th Bracket (victor)
Athlete 1 (WH)
Athlete 2 (WT)
Athlete 1 (WH) rank 5d
Athlete 3 (WH)
Athlete 4 (WT)
Buran (WH) rank 5dBuran (WH) rank 5dBuran (WH) rank 5d - victor
Athlete 5 (WH) - injured
Athlete 6 (WT)
Tormand (WT) rank 5d - injured
Athlete 7 (BT)
Athlete 8 (RL)
Rignuth the Badger (BT) rank 5dRignuth the Badger (BT) rank 5d
Athlete 9 (BT)
Athlete 10 (RL)
Lucan (RL) rank 5d
Athlete 11 (BT)
Athlete 12 (RL)
Udele, daughter of Tova (BT) rank 5dUdele, daughter of Tova (BT) rank 5d
Athlete 13 (TT)
Athlete 14 (SD)
Ciron Three-finger (TT) rank 4d
Athlete 15 (TT)
Athlete 16 (SD)
Garold Tomes (TT) rank 6dGarold Tomes (TT) rank 6dGarold Tomes (TT) rank 6d
Athlete 17 (TT)
Athlete 18 (SD)
Ulfwin of the Mires (SD) rank 3dUlfwin of the Mires (SD) rank 3dUlfwin of the Mires (SD) rank 3d
Athlete 19 (MH) - injured
Athlete 20 (TC)
Feldon Cleft (TC) rank 6dFeldon Cleft (TC) rank 6d - injured
Athlete 21 (MH)
Athlete 22 (TC)
Baldo Rockspur (MH) rank 6d
Athlete 23 (MH)
Athlete 24 (TC)
Ulric the Mean (TC) rank 5d
**[First Bracket] Harden Cleft of Mountain Hall is injured in wood-split; athlete 5 (WH) is injured in the log throw

Ale/Brew tasting contest [Events]

This contest will be simple - 1 roll for each brewer and the highest roll wins. There are only brewers in the following clans - The Carrock, Woodmen-town, Woodmen Hall, Sunstead, and Rhosgobel. We will use the rules as above, but instead of athletics, it will be a craft roll. The Beornings gain a +3 to their rolls due to their skill with honey.

I suggest we make the rolls in order and keep it structured by bracket. As example, Tom, make one post with a list of all of your competitors numbers with a 1d4 +2 roll for each, and then a second post with an ordered skill check based on the rank results. I will then compare your results to the other player's results and we'll determine who moves up the bracket (I will change the table above and include the rank rolled for each further test). We can give narrative for the victors of each bracket and the game they are in, as well as naming them as we go. This way we do not have to worry about creating a bunch of names.

If this gets convoluted, I can trim things down and make it simpler and we eliminate the brackets and just do a 'best of' for everyone at once.

tomcat

:ooc: My rank rolls for the three contests I need to roll for:

Toft-men
Rolled 1d4+2 : 2 + 2, total 4

Rolled 1d4+2 : 4 + 2, total 6

Rolled 1d4+2 : 1 + 2, total 3

Sunsteaders
Rolled 1d4+2 : 3 + 2, total 5

Rolled 1d4+2 : 2 + 2, total 4

tomcat

:ooc: Now, based on their rank skills rolled, I will roll the first series of athletics rolls:

Toft-men [athletics]
Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 4d6-3 : 5, 2, 3, 6 - 3, total 13

Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 6d6-3 : 6, 4, 4, 2, 4, 5 - 3, total 22

Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6-3 : 4, 2, 5 - 3, total 8

Sunsteaders [athletics]
Rolled 5d6 : 2, 3, 1, 1, 1, total 8

Rolled 4d6 : 6, 2, 5, 2, total 15

Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 2, 2, total 9

tomcat

Jun 06, 2019, 08:16 AM #5 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2019, 06:11 PM by tomcat
The first day of games focused on the skills that the Woodmen of the Vale were so noted for - cutting wood and then tossing the large logs.

On the mid-field, in a designated area, logs of five hands in length were upended so as to allow them to be easily split. One by one, the contestants paired off as ordered and then with their favorite, heavy axe in hand, began to go down the row of logs, chopping as they did. The victor for each pair was decided based on who split the most logs and how quickly they achieved their goal. When done, young lads and lasses quickly set up another run of logs for the next pair of contestants, and so the game went.

To the south of the field, another game involving wooden logs began. These five foot lengths were hewn smooth and then either left their natural color or whitewashed, so as to discern the competitor. Each participant put a heavy leather strap around their neck and shoulders, and the log was then hoisted into the strap vertically, so the competitor had to carry it before them. They then had to dash as fast as they could down a length of the field and toss the log. The distance tossed determined the winner.

Sunstead faced off in the first set of matches against the Toft. Though the men of eastern Mirkwood were familiar with life among the trees, they were no match for the southrons who advanced two of their contestants to only one man of Sunstead.

As he split the last log, Ciron Three-finger knew he had easily beaten his foe and he raised his arms to rally his fellow Toft-men. A great and raucous whoop went up from his kin and jeers and curses flew between the clans. Not far away, Garold Tomes let fly the large log and eliminated his own Sunsteader - a wolfish grin crossed his face. Only Ulfwin of the Mires made a name for himself that day for he and his home, as his competitor cracked his axe-haft and did not even finish.

:ooc: I have updated the brackets above for my three victors. I will wait now for you guys to post and then update the brackets for your results. Understand that first set of tests are 'against yourselves' so that you can immediately check results and make your initial narratives.

tomcat

:ooc: I need to make the injury roll, as the third Toft-man did not get over a TN 14. So, I make a second athletics test at the same rank:

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6-3 : 3, 6, 5 - 3, total 11

tomcat

:ooc: I am changing the rule above for Spite - I will just make one spite roll for each dismissed clan at the end of our thread. The spite will carryover into the new game day.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Alright, my turn! 

Black Tarn (go Herons!)
:00 1d4+2 : 3 + 2, total 5

Rhosgobel 

:00 1d4+2 : 2 + 2, total 4
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay, an impressive, though not spectacular, level of talent among the Woodmen so far. 

Athletics rolls:

Black Tarn
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 5d6 : 1, 6, 6, 5, 5, total 23

:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 5d6 : 2, 2, 3, 2, 4, total 13

:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 5d6 : 6, 3, 6, 2, 3, total 20

Rhosgobel
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 5d6 : 4, 2, 4, 2, 4, total 16

:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 5d6 : 2, 6, 3, 6, 5, total 22

:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 2, 3, 4, total 11

Character sheet

Eclecticon

The benefit of long months wielding axe and hammer to clear and repair the Old Forest Road shows as the champion woodcutters and log-hurlers of Rhosgobel and Black Tarn Hall begin their match.  Rignuth, son of Ecnuth, known to all beyond sight of Sweartmereseld as the Badger, lays into his logs with a savage ferocity that sends shivers flying far into the crowd.  Lucan of Rhosgobel, long and lanky as the shaft of a spear, moves just as quickly, and the air resounds with the sound of iron biting fresh timber. 

Finally Udele, daughter of Tova, casts her timber a length further than that of her opponent.  True to her by-name, the Stone does not break a smile at the cheering that accompanies her victory but instead wipes the sweat from her brow and goes in search of bread and ale. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Jun 07, 2019, 06:20 AM #11 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2019, 06:49 AM by tomcat
The day meandered and grew hot but the competitors did nothing more than grumble in the heat - their resolve was unchanged. Only those eliminated in the first rounds were free to go about their own business, but most stayed near their folks to cheer them on.

Ingomer called for a respite to allow for food to be procured by the champions, though some did not partake. A full belly of mead and lamb could cause weariness in a man and slow him down. Still, the prospectors took advantage of the call and moved off to eat in their camps or to procure some of the tasty treats available in the Merchant's Row.

Arbogast and his family, along with his sister and her own, moved off towards the arcade of games and purveyors of food and wares. It was good to get up and stretch their legs. Behind the two families, Grimbeorn and Hathcyn walked along in quiet talk.

Around them, the mood was jovial but whispers could be heard and a few groups of men seemed to be at odds. Grimbeorn eyed these groups, as he listened to the occasional word, and it was plain to see the resentment among the northern clans for the Southrons' presence. There were men that had taken part in the battle of Stonyford and they were plainly agitated by the banners of the Blood-moon.

"My brother died to their rot two summer past, and I have to hear them scoff Engel? Bad enough the lad lost, but to hear them Tofters jeer!"

"One near found me fist in his nose!"

"They have no part here. Ingomer should have sent them on their way."

"Aye, you're right."

"We should make an appeal to the masters, tell them to..."

It was then that the gathered men saw Grimbeorn staring at them. True he was not a Woodman of Woodland Hall, but he was son of the master of the Beornings, and so had seat upon the high council. The group nodded in deference and then went back to their mugs of ale in quieter conversation.

Hathcyn had moved on with the others and walked up to hear Cyffa speaking, "C'mon Dah! You can do it. And you can prove to Mom you're the toughest here." Both girls giggled.

The families were in front of the game of stones. A rather simple test of strength where a rope, cast over a smoothed arch of wood, was tied at one end to a certain number of stone. The game was simple, grab the rope over your shoulder and pull to see how far the stone could move. The man that could pull the rope far enough to raise the stone from the ground... well he was no mere man!

"Dah! C'mon!"

The gamesman saw the children pressing their father, "Care to play, friend? T'is not but two pennies and if you lift the stone you can take one of my wife's own handcrafted mugs!"

Arbogast could see the shelf at the back of the wall that was set with a number of well-sculpted, baked and glazed mugs. Each showed the symbol of a stone on a rope hanging over an arch.

"Drink from that mug and men around shall know your prowess," said the gamesman.

Around them all, people passed and milled about at other booths and games - darts, pins and balls, axe-throw, and so on. There were some other men standing near the stone pull that listened intently and judged their own capabilities.

Arbogast looked to Lindwine and she smiled broadly - there would be no escaping this contest from her. Behind her, Hathcyn also smiled as he raised his cup to his lips and took a long pull of ale. The Beornings eyes said all that was needed.

:ooc: I know that money is not a big thing in this game (or Tolkien's world for that matter), and I am not sure what fairs and events were like back in the days of yore - especially among such a simple people - but I am going with the idea that there are such games and contests.

If you guys disagree and think it VERY improbable, I will not continue in this vein.

As you guys participate in this and play, I hope this is fun for you. I do not want to make our game boring, but I like that this breaks the monotony of hunting and killing bad guys.

Telcontar

Wood Split skill rolls.
Woodman Town

Woodman Hall

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Axe Cutter Skill Rolls

WT1
Rolled 1d12 : 4, total 4

Rolled 3d6 : 1, 2, 2, total 5

WT2
Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1

Rolled 5d6 : 5, 3, 6, 1, 3, total 18

WT3

Rolled 5d6 : 6, 6, 3, 2, 1, total 18

WH1

Rolled 5d6 : 4, 4, 1, 6, 1, total 16

WH2
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

Rolled 5d6 : 3, 2, 1, 6, 3, total 15

WH3

Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 1, total 7
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

:ooc: who is rolling against who in the bracket? Is a bracket one person from each town?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear