• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 05:09 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Trails into Mirkwood

Started by tomcat, Jan 09, 2019, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Hathcyn chuckled at the Woodman's words.

"Why didnt you say that BEFORE we crossed the river Woodman! Nay, I have no where else to be, I'll go forward. Though I'll say nothing about those who desire to turn back. This wood is dark, darker than you led me to believe when we spoke of it."

:ooc:
Matt, does Grimbeorn say anything to the group about what he has seen while on watch?

Doug,
Are you updating the sheets with the checks or should we? I believe the great sucess has earned me a check.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: I had a look, and Doug has been updating the sheets, bless his heart. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Jan 16, 2019, 01:20 PM:ooc: Matt, does Grimbeorn say anything to the group about what he has seen while on watch?

Doug, Are you updating the sheets with the checks or should we? I believe the great sucess has earned me a check.

:ooc: I just finished these posts today, so Matt may not have seen them yet. Feel free, as always, to go back to certain points and add in the narrative/dialogue that you would like. We can feed it all together.

Yea - I have been marking sheets. I will try to make sure it is done and reconciled when I do tests for you all. When you roll for yourself, though - that will be on you.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Jan 16, 2019, 07:45 PM #33 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2019, 08:09 PM by Eclecticon
Quote from: Telcontar on Jan 16, 2019, 01:20 PMHathcyn chuckled at the Woodman's words.

"Why didnt you say that BEFORE we crossed the river Woodman! Nay, I have no where else to be, I'll go forward. Though I'll say nothing about those who desire to turn back. This wood is dark, darker than you led me to believe when we spoke of it."

Arbogast gives a lopsided shrug.  "Can you blame me," he asks "for wishing to have an argument against turning back?  Though I hold the manhood cheap of none who do, for dark as our passage has been we go now into a realm where the sun has not shone in an age of the world, and wherein true horrors dwell." 

The Fire-watcher catches the eye of Grimbeorn, a few paces away, and though nothing is said of the dark memories the two share, he fancies that he sees the same apprehension in the dire man's eyes as is visible, no doubt, in his own.  A heartbeat later, their gaze breaks.  He looks instead to Anar, and says "We may live or die by the keenness of your eyes.  I counsel you: look upward.  The worser denizens of this place do not often go abroad on the forest floor." 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: There may yet come more dialogue, but I don't want to hold things up by waiting unnecessarily.  With that in mind, here's my next set of rolls:

Explore:
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 2, 2, total 5

Travel:
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 6, 2, total 14

Doug, does the TN for our Travel tests go up to 18 now that we're across the river?

Character sheet

Telcontar

Travel
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 1, total 12
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Bam! That's gotta be an AP right there!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Jan 17, 2019, 03:44 PMDoug, does the TN for our Travel tests go up to 18 now that we're across the river?

:ooc: It does - you guys are now in the Heart of Mirkwood.

I will post a map to show your position.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Yes I just saw these updates, I'm not getting notifications like I used to *sigh*. I didn't notice any issues with the sheet.

"Press on, we are here for whatever may befall us and return those kinsmen if they may be found.

:00:
Explore -  1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 3, total 8

Travel -  1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 3, 4, 1, total 13

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

Bonus Travel -  1d6 : 5, total 5

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: Eomund and Anar travel rolls :|

I have no stats for Anar - going to assume he has 2d for Travel.

TN 18 travel by PC
:00: - Anar 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 2, total 8

:00: - Eomund 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 4, total 6

tomcat

:ooc: RESULTS of second exploration after crossing the river:

First... Matt, only the Guide needs to make the explore test, so Paul is giving me those. If you guys want to change roles in the expedition, you can, but you guys need to let me know.

Second...Arbogast's explore test was a failure so we are at 2/4 of the prolonged test.

Travel tests:

• Anar fails and is increased by 2 fatigue
• Arbogast crushes it with a 22 :%: :%: success  :csu: (by Paul)
• Hathcyn crushes it with a 24 :g: :%: success  :csu:
• Grimbeorn succeeds with a 20 success (uses his second advantage dice)
• Eomund fails and is increased by 2 fatigue

tomcat

Jan 19, 2019, 06:48 AM #42 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2019, 09:35 AM by tomcat
The companions slogged through the flooded wood on the east side of the Dusky.

Days passed and Arbogast began to worry. He found no sign of the craft that Everard had traveled upon, nor his shipmates. With the river being a torrent, it was to be expected, but still the Woodman thought the capsized craft might reveal itself.

Weariness was beginning to affect the party - Eomund, unused to the terrain was slowing his pace. Even the stout Dwarf was faltering - his shorter legs were causing him to be caught more often in the mires of water, mud and reeds. It would take everyone's effort to pull Anar free and then they would need wait while all caught a new wind.

The flies were relentless. Hathcyn slapped at face and arms only to feel a painful bite on his leg - and there welts would form. "Why would anyone live in such a damnable place," he cursed.

On the third day since the crossing, the Eldosa tributary appeared. It too was wide and swollen, having broken its banks. The waterway seemed more a part of the flooding than a branch of the river. Still, it went deeper into the dark wood, which was now fully canopied with new spring growth.

Eomund looked at the gnarled trees and their roots, which broke the surface. It was as if they were in torment and could not stand to grow within the ground. They also appeared to be the worst gatekeepers he had ever seen.

With aching legs and backs, the companions found as dry a place as they could and made camp. Once rested and fed, they could set out down the length of the Eldosa.

Night fell on the wood and they fell asleep in pairs. The Fire-watcher thought it better if they had two sets of eyes keeping vigil, though it would mean they need to camp a bit longer. And so it was that Anar sat with Hathcyn in the mid of night - the wood pitch black around them, for even the starlight could not be seen. A fire popped in a small hole, but it threw out only sparse light. The Dwarf grumbled in his weariness. He sat on the opposite side of the camp from Hathcyn, the two keeping watch in all directions.

The Beorning could hear the the Dwarf grump, "Darker than a cave....

"Don't understand why the Elves would make this place their home...all their songs tell of diamonds in the sky. Can't even see the sky...

SLAP! Something bit one of them on the arm. A curse followed.

The Dwarf rubbed at his tired eyes. The sleep was not taking away the weariness that was now permeating his body. His hands left his face and went to smooth down his beard, even as his eyes opened.

There was something there in front of him.

Massive.

He could barely perceive it in the dark but it was there. A face? A tree? One hand clawed the ground for his axe while the other reached out into the inky blackness to ascertain that it was there.

The darkness moved.

It was as if it stood straight up and and now towered over Anar. There was a rustle of leaves, a creak of branches, a vibrating thump.

"HATHCYNNN," hissed the Dwarf, as he crab-walked backward into the camp, clumsily climbing over the sleeping form of Eomund.

The Beorning felt and heard the vibration and then the Dwarf. He stood and turned, but only the blackness of the forest could be seen.

:ooc: Corrected above with a campfire although it does not throw enough light out beyond the camp.

Telcontar

Hathcyn heard the harsh hiss of the dwarf and what sounded like the rasping call of his own name. He turned slowly, spear set upon his lap to see what it was the dwarf wanted.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Jan 20, 2019, 05:13 PM #44 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2019, 09:36 AM by tomcat
The Beorning discerned the Dwarf in the faint light.

"Hathcyn, do you see it?" whispered Anar.

It was Eomund who replied, "What are you doing, Dwarf?"

Anar was still sprawled over the Rohirrim, his axe clutched in his hand.

"It is there!"

The Beorning now stood near and the remaining two were waking. "What is there?"

They all stared at the dark woods but all that could be seen were the tall tree trunks.