• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 05:27 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Lost among the Boughs

Started by tomcat, Dec 30, 2018, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The new day was as beautiful as the last. The sky was an azure blue and only thin white wispy clouds could be seen high above.

Arbogast sat outside the hall, his eyes following a raptor in the sky, as it hung on the thermals looking for prey. It reminded him of a day long gone when he and his companions were trapped within a Dwarven fort.

His morning peace was suddenly broken as the Dwarf he had met just the day before, thumped out into the clearing. Anar the Old, thought Arbogast as the Dwarf poured out the contents of his cup. Old beer? There came some grumbling, as was the nature of those folk, and then Anar stretched his back as it was bent from years of hard labor.

The Fire-watcher's fascination with his new companion was interrupted even more, as cries for aid began to come from the north gate.

"Help! Aid here! Come, we need assistance!"

Arbogast stood to see, soon followed by many folk that had been inside Rhosgobel's main hall. A crowd was forming and the throng now moved to where four men urgently carried a fifth between them.

"He was washed up from the river!" Cried out one of the men. They were fishermen that spent their days along the river, using nets and baskets to draw in the Dusky's bounty. Though it was less these days then times passed.

"He was drowned in the water, when we found him!"

"Started spluttering and coughing once we got him ashore!"

"Is he alive?"

"Stand back now, make room!"

"I think he is lost!"

"Stand back!"

"Give him air!"

And so went the cries, as people moved in to see.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast shares a momentary glance with Anar before rushing to the side of the half-drowned man.  He is not the most skilled healer even among those dwelling within Rhosgobel, but he is here, and resolves to do what he may before surer hands are available to take over.

As he works to restore the man's breath, he thinks hard about the nearby streams that feed into the river proper, several days walk from here.  He knows of none that have proven especially hazardous in days gone by, but as the Shadow lengthens across Middle-Earth, who can say what new dangers might lie in wait for the unwary?

:ooc: I'm going to try A Healing roll.  Wish me luck!

:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 4, 1, total 6
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Paladin003

Anar rushes over, wanting to help in anyway he can. But healing is not his strong suit, so he waited for his new companion who'd already started to try and heal him in case he could be of some use.

tomcat

:ooc: Saving the man is going to require a Prolonged test with a cumulative TN 56.

• each test performed takes 1 minute
• each test must meet a TN 14 minimum to be a success, but the total dice result will be counted toward the cumulative goal
• the drowned man will pass away in 6 minutes.

So far, a minute has passed and Arbogast's attempt to aid the man proves futile: 1/6

Sigrid the Healer - a silver-haired woman who has worked long under the tutelage of Radagast in the ways of healing.

TN 56 healing 4d
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 6, 2, 4, total 16

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

The crowd stood around Arbogast and Anar, as the Fire-watcher administered to the man. He opened his mouth to allow air to flow into the drowned man's lungs but only gurgles could be heard.

Time was passing and the fellow was a deadly shade of blue.

Voices came from the crowd, "Make way! Sigrid is here! Make way for the lady!"

Arbogast and Anar saw a tall woman appear through the throng of people. She was of middling age with silver-white hair that hung in a braid down her back. There were wrinkles at the corners of her mouth and eyes, but still she was a comely woman. The Fire-watcher had only heard of her, but had never had the chance to meet her personally. This was Sigrid the Healer who had spent many years under the tutelage of Radagast the Brown, learning the craft of healing.

She spoke with an authority that made the two companions react, "Quickly, get him on his side."

Sigrid knelt down to the drowned man, her ear placed near his mouth.

"He lives, but barely! His body is trying to breath. Hold him tightly for me."

The two grabbed the man by shoulders and waist and Sigrid place a hand to his abdomen. With great strength, she pushed in on the stomach, while hitting the man's back. Arbogast and Anar saw as water gushed forth from the mouth and the man's body wracked in a spasm - trying to cough.

Sigrid tried again.

tomcat

:ooc: Okay - I reread the Prolonged Actions rules and I need to adjust what I posted above - as that stuff is written based on the CODA extended action (cumulative TN) rule.

Saving the man is going to require a Prolonged test which will require 5 successes

• each test performed takes 1 minute
• each test must meet a TN 14 minimum to be a success
• a :%: success counts for 2 successes; an :%: :%: success counts for 3 successes
• the drowned man will pass away in 6 minutes.

RESULTS THUS FAR
• 2 of 6 minutes passed
• 2 of 5 successes achieved

TN 14 healing 4d
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 6, 2, 6, total 15

tomcat

Sigrid shoved once more on the abdomen and hit hard on the back.

Water was released again and then the drowned man was coughing and gasping as he sucked air back into his lungs. Arbogast was amazed - the man's flesh almost immediately began to change from a morbid blue to a pale white.

The woman spoke calmly, "Give him a moment. Let him work it out. He should be well enough to move and get to a fire for warmth." Sigrid looked at a young boy, resident of Rhosgobel, "For now run and fetch a blanket, child."

With a nod, the boy was off through the crowd.

Grimbeorn and Hathcyn had just arrived and stood where they could see - behind them, the tall Rohirrim.

Sigrid held the man as best she could, trying to provide comfort as his body went through the torment of expelling water from the lungs. A painful task to say the least.

The boy returned moments later and handed the healer the woolen blanket, which she wrapped around the man. His eyes were wide in wonder as he did not know where he was, or what had happened.

Sigrid stood and pointed to a few strong men, "Lift him now...gently...and take him to the hearth. He will need to warm himself. The water's of the river are still cold with winter's touch."

And it was done.

The companions followed the train the led to the hall. Behind them, the throng of people - though still desiring information as to who the drowned man was and how he came to such a state - disbursed. Each had a task of their own to attend to, and none would be done by standing about. Even the fishermen who had rushed back to Rhosgobel with their charge, resigned themselves to returning to where their nets and baskets still drifted in the streams.

Inside the hall, Bivor had made room near the fire, which was now piled with soft furs. The man was placed there and Sigrid moved to get him a cup of hot tea. She handed it to the man as he chattered, "W-w-where am-m I?"

GandalfOfBorg

Jan 01, 2019, 05:41 AM #7 Last Edit: Jan 01, 2019, 05:43 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Grimbeorn spoke up.  "You are in Rhosgobel, dwelling of the wizard Radagast.  What is your name, whence do you hail, and how is it that you were found in the river?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Paladin003

Anar grabbed a nearby blanket and wrapped it around the shoulders of the man to help warm him some more.

Telcontar

Hathcyn, while not uncaring to the mains plight, knew he could do nothing personally. The questions he eanted answered were already asked by Grimbeorn. So the tall man drank his ale and chewed on some salted fish he had talked out of the serving girl they had met the night before.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jan 01, 2019, 11:40 AM #10 Last Edit: Jan 01, 2019, 11:43 AM by tomcat
Looking up at the tall Beorning, which seemed to confuse the man more, he replied, "I am Everard, son of Everand, and I am from Woodland Hall."

"You are far from home," said Bivor, though he was not surprised. There were quite a few people in his house now that were far from their lands.

The sodden man gladly accepted the blanket from Anar - a look of familiarity passed over his face, as if he knew the Dwarf or had seen him before. The town of Woodland Hall had benefited greatly from the presence of the Dwarf road-builders and all of their gold.

"Aye...Rhosgobel you say?" It was evident that Everard was trying to put things together. "We were on the Dusky. How did I end up in Rhosgobel?"

The question was in all of their minds. The Dusky River had many tributaries forming its headwater, but it was straight for most of its path. There were the occasional streams and branches that broke away from the river proper - one of which the fishermen of Rhosgobel used as it passed close to the small town.

"You were found afloat in our tributary," said Bivor. "You must have been washed down from the main flow. What happened?"

"We had set out on a river barge four days ago. The Lady Verwyne had come to us barge-men and offered gold for any that might find a new water route off of the Dusky that led east towards Sunstead. Word is that the gold comes from Ceawin, master of that folk, who seeks for new paths through the Narrows.

"On day three, I remember the water becoming a torrent, as if a great deluge of rain had fallen, but none had. Our look-out caught sight of a raven-haired woman along the banks - her clothes shimmering like they were scales! The boat was tossed upon the raging waters and I was cast off. I remember nothing more than the freezing cold and being adrift...and then waking here."

Arbogast's face cast a grim look - this was the second time a woman was seen in the woods and the second time men had been led astray to some tragedy. Everard's next comment added to the Fire-watcher's concern.

"Was anyone else of my company found in the water?"

A number of silent shakes of the head was the only answer given.

"Then we must find them! There are stout folk among us and one is my brother!"

Eclecticon

Arbogast's spirits are mixed as he listens to the man's tale.  Though his heart sinks to hear that the corruption of the River-maidens has spread beyond the Black Tarn, folk lost in the darkness of the Wood, at least, is a problem he will understands.

"How many was your company?  Can you describe them?"

Character sheet

tomcat

"There was four of us, including myself. We are barge-men and so we are all of the same size and build - our boats need to carry more supplies than the weight of passengers." Those around could see that Everard was thin of frame, though his arms and shoulders were strong. Poling boats up and down the river created the needed upper-body strength.

"One of them looked like me, but he is younger - my brother, Edward. It was our intent to take the Eldosa tributary off the main Dusky and see how deep it goes into the wood. Mayhaps it would allow for ease of travel."

Arbogast knew the tributary that Everard spoke of - it was a wide branch of the Dusky River that flowed east into the forest, but was said to thin and become bogged with reed and plants.

Telcontar

"Firewatcher, what do you know of these rivers and streams the man speaks of? I have no knowledge of the lay of this land so far south.
And when we have a moment I have another question for you as well."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

"I know but little, for it flows north of the Black Tarn, toward the darkest woods where only spiders go without fear.  I know of no Man living who has followed it to its source."

Character sheet