• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:56 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Wizards and Narrows

Started by tomcat, Dec 13, 2018, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Hathcyn shrugged his shoulders.
"I know few Woodmen other than the Firewatcher. Though this village is small shouldnt be to hard to find either.

So, does one seek an audience with a wizard or what to be called on?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

"Ah," says Arbogast, his face brightening at the mention of a familiar name.  "I had heard that Helva was to marry a man from southern lands, but had not thought that his kin would be coming here, instead of she venturing south to meet them.  But no matter - come and share food and ale!  Doff your armour too, if you will, for within this brown hedge you are as safe as any man in Middle-Earth." 

To Hathcyn's question, he answers "perhaps we might wait a while until all are refreshed, and the burrs combed from our beards, before we pay call on the Brown Wizard.  It would do no harm at all to introduce my kinsman-to-be to him, as well." 

"In any case," he says, waving towards a small copse of trees within the hedge, "he shall either be at home, in which case we shall find his cottage easily in the trees, or he shall not be, in which case... we shall not."
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Dec 18, 2018, 07:34 PM #17 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2018, 07:43 PM by tomcat
Eomund thought the conversation strange.

He had long heard tales of wizards and elves, but they were just that...tales. Yes, it was said that one of the Wise resided in the stone circle known as Orthanc, but the Eorling had never seen him, nor had he traveled to that ancient spire. Rhosgobel was a pleasant enough place, and the people were very welcoming, but home to a powerful wizard? He wondered. Yet was not the Golden Wood protected by a mage of great power? Were the bedside tales becoming a reality?

Grimbeorn spoke in his usual gruff manner, "Aye, the road was long and the dust needs washed from our throats. Let us make for the hall instead and see what we might find for food and drink."

With a series of nods, the quartet agreed and so they began to walk towards the longhouse upon which the town was centered. Arbogast looked back to Eomund and waved for him to join and so the four became five.

The Hall of Rhosgobel was open at both ends allowing a good breeze to cool the interior. Though the hearth was alight, it was only enough embers to allow the day's catch to be cooked. Two women stood by and rotated the large side of venison upon its spit. At the head of the hall was the chieftain's seat and it was occupied - Bivor Ør-grandr sat lightly within the chair, seeming uncomfortable with his station. He had been chosen from among the wise and fair in Rhosgobel to be the voice of the folk, when Radagast was not present.

The man was of average Woodman height, but he was great of girth, and his voice boomed when his spirit was up. He was quick to laugh and be merry, but a fire was hidden within that was dangerous when loosed. Still, Bivor was not chosen to take this seat because of bombast, more so due to his even thought and fair hand.

"So it is true!" said Bivor loudly as the five men entered the hall. "My gate ward sent word that the son of Beorn had come once more, but I thought the lad mistaken...too much time in the sun!" A great laugh escaped him at his own joke, "Yet here you are. Welcome, Grimbeorn son of Beorn!"

The thegn of Rhosgobel stood from his seat and strode across the hall to meet the party. The man took the Beorning's hand in a strong grip and shook it with vigor.

"The stories of your victory in Stánford are still popular talk around our fires! What brings you to Rhosgobel?" Bivor looked at the others, but only recognized Arbogast, to whom he quickly gave his attention, "Fire-watcher! You are here, too? How long have you been among us? How fares the Tarn?"

The man led them to a bench at the end of the long table and soon all introductions were made and questions answered. Bivor called to one of the servants within the hall, "Beer for our friends, they have traveled far."

:ooc: I am just finishing this post, Paul, and I do not know how long I had stated you were in Rhosgobel since our first thread so I might retcon Bivor's reaction to you. Obviously if you have been here a while, he has known about it.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I did not clarify as to how long Arbogast has been here, so I am going to leave it as is. You might not have been here long, Paul, but this is the first time Bivor has seen you since you arrived.

Unless you say differently - I can retcon the post above.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Eh, it's pretty much in character for Arbogast not to officially present himself straight away.

Character sheet

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Hathcyn frowned at the copse of trees that hid the Wizards abode.

"Tombs and Mirkwood is where we are headed is it? I am glad to have you with us Firewatcher. Your knowledge of the wood will be a great boon. I have been only in the northern eaves with Anar's folk, but even there it is good to have a Woodman about. The forest is strange to look upon, and even stranger still when one finds themself ensnared by its boughs. They say the Spiders come from this end of the forest and the deeper one goes the larger they get."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Arbogast's face is noncommittal as he answers.  "It may be that this is naught to trouble our sleep, and we need venture no further, but I have my doubts." 

Inside the great hall, once all have bread, meat and ale before them and Eomund has been properly introduced, he asks of Bivor, "know you aught of the Wizard's comings and goings?  Dark things stir both near and abroad, and much of what is of great significance goes unmarked by those who can see but little of it.  But Radaghast hears news from the birds and beasts, and little happens in Wilderland but that he knows of it," he adds, more for Eomund's benefit than anything else. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Dec 19, 2018, 04:39 PM #23 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 04:44 PM by tomcat
Bivor fair-hand was smearing butter atop a fresh baked slice of bread that still steamed with heat and only stopped long enough to answer Arbogast.

"Master Radagast has been gone for some time now. It is never a surprise to us when he comes and goes, as few know the minds of wizards, but he entered his house when the flowers were still but buds on the trees." He smiled and took a big bite of his bread and Arbogast worried for the man's fingers. The thegn continued, "If you were to walk into that small wood, you would struggle to find his home - but then he suddenly appears and smoke can be seen rising from the small brick chimney that protrudes its roof! We do not anticipate the mage, but when he is here we take every advantage of his council."

Bivor looked around the table - four heroes of the realm were his guests, along with a stranger from far off lands. They all spoke of strange doings with the onset of summer. Rain still fell black, at times, from the sky. He nodded his head to some unspoken question and then, "Yes, I am certain that our benefactor shall appear soon.

"More bread?" He held the small crock of butter out to allow any of his guests easy reach.

tomcat

:ooc: More to follow later tonight or tomorrow, but fill in with any other inter-character dialogue you might have.

Eclecticon

The Fire-watcher accepts the butter and bread with gratitude, for, like all Woodmen, he has known hunger in the colder months, but also with some trepidation.  Each new winter seems harder, and hungrier, than the last, and I have never known the bodies of my family to be other than lean.  How is it that you have grown so? 

But then he thinks of the trinkets that he has seen adorning some of the clansmen out in the village, the silver that Bofri the Roadwarden and Rorin of Erebor have paid those willing to work on the Road and the gold that is newly come to his kin at SweartmereseldPerhaps it is simply that new prosperity is slowly coming to the folk of the Wood?

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn's merriment increased with the arrival of food and drink. He admired the hall and studied the man who kept it. This was his first visit to a holding of the Woodmen.

OOC: Doug, anything from my awareness roll earlier?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Dec 21, 2018, 04:41 AM #27 Last Edit: Dec 22, 2018, 03:52 AM by GandalfOfBorg
"It's the same usual claptrap and bandying of meaningless words everywhere I go, no straight answers from men who should have them, even if it is a simple 'I know not'," muttered Grimbeorn. "Thegn, my companions and I have come far in search of answers to dark whispers and counsel on the paths to be taken.  You noted who we are, great in thew and command, and it in respect to our charges that we come here.  I ask that you lessen pomp and be plain with us in our dealings.  We are well aware of the furtive nature of Wizards and as he is not here, mayhaps you have tidings of the nearby lands that we haven't heard yet.  We will provide the same from our travels, for only when the wider picture is known may the keener questions be asked and best actions be taken."

At that he takes the crock and dips his bread to sate his hunger and quenches his thirst with the tankard in his other hand.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Hathcyn Longspear buried his mouth behind a mug, to conceal a laugh or to keep from speaking none were quite sure.

Grimbeorn did not speak often, but when he did it was to the point.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Paladin003

Anar wasn't being very social. He was busy reading an old book with a binding that looked as though it could fall apart at any minute.