• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 02:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Foes - Stánford and the South

Started by Eclecticon, May 03, 2018, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Posterboy

"Your master's tolerance is what we must put our trust in, Williferd," Tate pleaded, continuing to place himself between the lad and the ranger. "And I believe that trust is not in vain. Master Beorn will wish to hear Oderic's story. Do you not believe your master to be kind and understanding? Do you not believe Master Beorn to be able to judge right and fairly? Why settle for a short life here on the edges of the wild when he could be restored to honour amongst your people?"

:ooc: Sorry for the delay. My in-laws flight came in significantly later than expected.

Anyway... let's see how we do here.

Persuade Check (TN = 16)
Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 1, total 7

Posterboy

:ooc: Any way to make that a success? Merry trait as Tate's trying to counteract Williferd's despair?

Telcontar

:ooc: this merry trait is getting a lot of action here  (-D
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

"Judge right and fairly, you say?  Surely that is to be feared!  Oderic is a murderer and I, fool that I am and ever was, have helped him to flee Beorn's law!"  The wind rises once more and snatches his words away into the darkness.  All that is audible as it die down is "... hope is only that a traveller one day will find our bleached bones lying together, and know naught of the unhappy story that laid them thus." 

:ooc:
Quote from: Posterboy on May 23, 2018, 05:47 AMAny way to make that a success? Merry trait as Tate's trying to counteract Williferd's despair?
Not now that you've rolled it, my friend.  In fact, I'd probably insist on a roll in any case, given the drama of the situation. 

One more failure and we find out how this ends. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Esgalwen's hand went to her sword and her voice spoke in the darkness, it carried within it the strength and sternness of Númenor long gone. "Loose your quill, Williferd, and be done with it, or lay down your bow. I will no longer bandy words with you. Countless times we have tried reason. Countless times we have expressed it is the will of the master of these lands. Countless times you have evaded our counsel. So loose your string - but know it is you, too, who are now the outlaw."

Her ire rose slightly as she continued, "And know this, that we shall pursue you unto your goal whether that be Oderic's lair, or wherever else you lead. I promise, too, that you will also be brought before Beorn and his son to answer for crimes. So choose quickly, for our patience is thread bare! I have looked into the very blackness of the Shadow that haunts these lands and I promise you that you hold no fear for me...so make your choice."

:ooc: the man's answer has pushed her button. They have spent the last 'two days' trying to get information and the rub-his-shoulders, it's-okay, buck-up approach is getting them nothing. So...here is an awe roll to try and cow Williferd into submission.

TN 16 awe 3d
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 5, 3, total 12

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: well...we have a succecss. Not a big one, but a success.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Posterboy

Tate heard the clear command of his companion behind him and, in the darkness, the minstrel's head hung a little and he sighed. He stepped out of the way so Esgalwen could confront the man directly.

tomcat

Esgalwen could see the shift in her friend's posture. She knew things were progressing in a way he had not wished, and her thoughts spoke, I am sorry, dear Tate, but we can only play this game of words for so long.

The night was dark, but the stars shone above and gave them at least a shape that was Williferd. Her sword remained in its scabbard, but the Dúnadan began to move steadily forward towards the man.

:ooc: She will not say another word but let her serious gait and stance speak for her, as she continues to make try and make this man blink.

Awe
TN 16 awe 3d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 6, 2, total 14

tomcat

:ooc: And that is an :%: :%: Extraordinary success!

tomcat

May 24, 2018, 10:17 AM #39 Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:23 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Depending on how Paul interprets this all, it seems that the dice are saying that Williferd just needs to be commanded; that he is weak-willed. Maybe that is why he failed so miserably on the battlefield way back when - he is scared.

That is how I am putting this all together based on results: 6 SUCCESSES 3 FAILURES I hope our GM sees it in our favor!!  ;)

Eclecticon

The majesty of lost Westernesse echoes down the ages, manifesting in Esgalwen's proud bearing and un-cowed words, and the silver glint of moonlight on iron vanishes as Williferd at last lets bow and arrow drop to the ground.  He moves neither to resist nor to escape as she climbs the river bank and approaches him, motioning ever so subtly for Tate to follow.  The warrior of Stánford seems now much diminished from the Man he appeared to be when first they met him.  Pathetic in his despair he now stands, a man adrift and at the mercy of forces, both within and without, far beyond his ability to master. 

His surrender complete, he kneels as Esgalwen comes close.  "Great is my shame," he says.  "Great indeed." 

:ooc: What a way to finish off a difficult encounter! 

Character sheet

Posterboy

May 25, 2018, 12:27 AM #41 Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:54 AM by Posterboy
 :ooc: Nice to see the dice in your favour, Doug!  ;) Way to turn it around!

Even in the darkness of the night, Tate could feel awe-ful presence of the ranger. He hadn't seen it often in Dale and Lake Town, but when honeyed words and an blessed smile were unable to persuade men, Gwen could draw up a fierce nobility from her ancient bloodline. A mix of fear and reverence was the typical response from witnesses. Tate could feel it welling up in him, felt his head lower a little more in deference, even as he watch Williferd crumble and submit before the ranger.

It was one of the few things about Gwen that troubled Tate. Every time she dug into her bloodline Tate felt it... he was not her equal. He was a lesser-born man. Any thoughts of a future together with the fair lady was fanciful wishing of a delusional man dreaming far outside his station in life.

Looking now at Williferd, Tate pitied the man. Coming alongside him, he put his hand under Williferd's arm. "Alright, now. Up we get. And I'll hold on to your weapons for you." Tate moved to alleviate the man of his weapons.

tomcat

Esgalwen had seen many conflicts, some very recent, where the field was left with the dead and dying. It was a heart-wrenching thing to behold. But the sight of Williferd, broken as a man and kneeling in the grass under a starlit night, grieved her even more - partially because she knew that she helped in this outcome. She had been the one to bring low his spirit and will, and so anger subsided and pity filled her heart. Still, her voice remained strong so as to convey that Williferd now had few options.

Esgalwen watched as Tate assisted the Northman to his feet, "I see you have two choices, Williferd. One, you may lead us to Oderic so that we might return him to the House of Beorn. To this I invite you to come along, so as to offer your own words in the man's defense. If he is in the right, than surely any that bear him witness will aid in his judgment."

She let the words hang there a moment, "Your other option is to lead us to where Oderic hides and then return to your life in Stánford where you may continue to aid your village in growth and protection...a free man. Your people - all of them - need you. Mayhaps you can put a new life together, though your heart be sad, and find the redemption you seek.

"Bar these two choices, there is naught else I will offer you here. If you continue to obstruct us in any way, I will see you bound and carry out the duty of my warrant and see you back to Beorn, too, as an outlaw. There you will be judged."

Though it pained her, Esgalwen's hand never left her sword. "What say you to my offer?"

tomcat

:ooc: No matter how Williferd concedes to our offer, we will immediately commence our next march after Oderic. If he is with us, it will hopefully go quicker. If not, then we shall hard march to where he says the outlaw was last hidden.

Eclecticon

Williferd stands, though he does not meet the eyes of his erstwhile pursuers.  "I will go with you, until you have found Oderic at the least.  I not whither I will go then, but such chance of redemption as I have lies at your sides." 

:ooc: That's what six successes'll get you! 

I'm going to disregard your earlier Search rolls to find a trail, because there's been some amount of story in between and I hadn't actually asked for them in the first place.  I'll make some rolls for immediate pursuit (with a bonus for Williferd's assistance), but bear in mind that it's the middle of a cloudy night, and it is dark.  You were having a hard time seeing Williferd about ten feet away.  Good conditions for following a trail these are not. 

Esgalwen
TN 16 Search 2

:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 2, total 6

Tate
TN 16 Search 3

:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 6, total 12

Character sheet