• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 06:20 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

CHAPTER 6 - The proving of kings

Started by Eclecticon, Jan 27, 2018, 06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Feb 01, 2018, 05:09 PM #30 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2018, 05:18 PM by Eclecticon
"Wait!" comes the call from the back of the crowd, where Tate wrestles a last chunk of sausage into his mouth.  "I mean, that was certainly a good speech, but I feel that we, one and all, under-appreciate our host: Grimbeorn, son of Beorn, mead-bearded ring-giver who for our sakes gave blade-tribute unto the Beast of Mirkwood!"  On the porch, Grimbeorn rolls his eyes, not even attempting to hide his irritation, while Rorin laughs uproariously.  Even Esgalwen finds that she cannot entirely suppress a smile at the brazen nature of the Lake-man's interruption. 

Tate's oration is a fine one indeed, and it draws a huge cheer from the crowd.  Before the applause has time to die down, though, Gelvira once more strides up to the porch, her eyes blazing with enjoyment at the unexpected (and unaccustomed) challenge.  "Hail indeed, claw's-hand, master of the mead-mothers!" 

:ooc: No need to RP this (as much fun as that would be) - we'll just do a quick roll-off.  Rules as per the core book - both sides are looking to beat the basic TN (14), and accumulate the most  :%: -es, with ties broken by comparing the Feat Die result. 

Gelvira: Courtesy 4
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 4, 4, 2, total 15
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Feb 01, 2018, 05:15 PM #31 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2018, 06:09 PM by Eclecticon
Quote from: Telcontar on Feb 01, 2018, 09:01 AM:ooc: paul, can you list the events and applicable skills for them so that I can make a better informed decision.

:ooc: There are seven contests held as part of the current festival:
- an oratory competition to find those most orate of speech
- games of thimblerig to find the quickest of eye (Awareness)
- a foot-race run through a muddy obstacle course, during which contestants must keep a torch alight (Athletics)
- a field seeded with small baubles, in which contestants seek stones engraved with the word 'moon' (Search)
- an all-comers riddle contest (Riddle)
- a contest of lays and song, and (Song)
- a contest to stare down a bull (a mean best named Gnornung) and back him into his pen.  This is seldom won by any but the bull.  (Awe)

The oratory competition usually happens on the first night, with the rest following over the next day, sometimes two.  Grimbeorn has advanced the schedule a little, but nobody's complaining - the festivities will carry on for a while before everyone passes out. 

Beorn chooses one of the seven winners to receive the sickle.  He doesn't usually give a reason for his choice. 

EDIT: Any wishing to join in the thimble-rig games may do so.  In case it needs saying, hold off on any further rolls until the contests are announced.

Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Thanks Paul!

[/Final Round = TN 14b]

Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 3, 4, total 9

Posterboy

:ooc: Damn you, dice gods! Why now?!

Looks like Gelvira wins handily.

Tate winked at the Beorning woman,  "Many spoken-penance to you, oh sense-pleasing High-Truth, post-holder of word-ambiguities."

...Silence... as the words fell flat...

:ooc: Is this the spot where I can spend a point of hope and use Tate's cultural blessing to gain 1 XP?

And do I get to score an AP in the Custom's line for the original three Courtesy checks?

Posterboy

:ooc: Are characters allowed to participate in multiple contests? If yes. Tate is to participate in:

- games of thimblerig to find the quickest of eye (Awareness)
- a field seeded with small baubles, in which contestants seek stones engraved with the word 'moon' (Search)
- a contest of lays and song, and (Song)

Also... I just noted that you already added two advancement points for Tate's interruption. Thanks!

Telcontar

:ooc: though i am low man on the totem pole with skills I'll try awe and awareness. Like the greek funeral games even in failure there is often fame.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Characters are absolutely allowed to participate in more than one contest. 

Quote from: Posterboy on Feb 01, 2018, 08:51 PM:ooc:Is this the spot where I can spend a point of hope and use Tate's cultural blessing to gain 1 XP?
Not this time - the consequences aren't serious enough. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

There is a peal of good-hearted laughter at the young man's stumbling finish, which redoubles as Grimbeorn ends the contest with the words "As I was saying..." 

In the courtyard, the games of thimblerig begin in earnest, the challenge all the greater for the flickering firelight, and the mead that has been consumed throughout the night.  Many, not fancying their chances, begin either to make their way to guest quarters or to bed down near a bonfire, according to their station. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"Come Harhold! If we are to sleep another night in a field let us muck about in it first. Here is a challenge where I may acquit ourselves well enough or at least be given chance to offer our services to Grimbeorn. The ring giver is not here, but the son is."

Hathcyn Longspear filled his tankard anew and headed to the challenge field.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Posterboy

As the crowd moved towards the next game, Tate made sure he past by Esgalwen. He gave her a wide smile, "Tough bunch tonight! Should have kept my yap shut."

Continuing with the crowd heading out, he said, "Come on! Let's test our skill this next one!"

Eclecticon

Character sheet

tomcat

Esgalwen returned Tate's smile, "Oh, I don't know. I think they rather enjoyed watching you trip over your tongue! But you can always leave it to a woman to win an argument...or a kenning, as the situation may be."

She lifted her own cup and followed him out into the courtyard.

She knew the game that was before her, seeing it often on the streets of Minas Tirith. Cups, dice, cards...chance. It was always a draw.

"Yes," she said to Tate. "This I will participate in."

:ooc: Thimble-rig Awareness roll...use the results as you want, Paul.

TN ?? Awareness 2d
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 5, total 9

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Feb 02, 2018, 02:18 AM:ooc: though i am low man on the totem pole with skills I'll try awe and awareness. Like the greek funeral games even in failure there is often fame.

:ooc: interesting...a brand new character?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Sorry, Doug.  The TNs will be the same for each contest - 14, 16 and 18.  It's an elimination system, so you need to pass each in sequence.  You're good for the first one, so carry on (and take an AP out of petty cash). 

Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Here's Tate's rolls:

Awareness = TN14
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9

Rolled 4d6 : 6, 6, 5, 3, total 20

Awareness = TN16
Rolled 1d12 : 7, total 7

Rolled 4d6 : 5, 2, 3, 3, total 13

Awareness = TN18
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

Rolled 4d6 : 5, 3, 6, 3, total 17