• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 07:36 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Lair - round 10

Started by tomcat, Jan 17, 2018, 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jan 17, 2018, 08:11 AM Last Edit: Jan 18, 2018, 05:48 AM by tomcat
Situation: The Company has come at last to the Lair of the Werewolf, and must combat their way in

Kindling the Lamp:
• Arbogast 2/3
• Esgalwen 3/3 DONE
• Grimbeorn 3/3
• Morirúsë 2/3

Combat Advantage dice:
• Arbogast 0/1
• Esgalwen 0/2

Lair score:
• 8/20

Situation Modifiers:
• The wargs have Initiative, as they are defending

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• none

PC/NPC PARRY :+~: ARMOUR :<>: HOPE :vv: END :<3: STANCE
Arbogast
Esgalwen
Grimbeorn
Morirúsë

6 (shield +3)
6/9 [skirmisher] (shield n/a)
6/9 [giant strength] (shield +4)
6 (shield +3)

2d (helm +1)
1d (helm n/a)
2d (helm n/a)
2d (helm n/a)

7/16
5/12
2/12 MISERABLE
5/10 MISERABLE

26/26
3/27 WEARY
15/31
0/28 [32/56*]

open
Defensive
Defensive
Defensive

ENEMY PARRY :+~: ARMOUR :<>: HATE :@: END :<3: NOTES
Warg 1
Warg 2
Warg 3
Warg 4
Great Warg 1
Great Warg 2
Mornhûn [WoM]

3d
3d
3d
3d
3d
3d
4d

2/3
2/3
2/3
3/3
5/5
4/5
12/12

0/18 DEAD
0/18 DEAD
0/18 DEAD
0/18 DEAD
0/42 DEAD
13/42
27/75 WOUNDED 1

n/a
n/a
n/a
n/a
n/a
fighting Arbogast and Grimbeorn
fighting Esgalwen and Morirúsë

STANCES

Forward - action order 1
Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward Stance maneuvers
:<>:Open - action order 2
Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open Stance maneuvers
:<>:Defensive - action order 3
Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive Stance maneuvers
:<>:Rearward - action order 4
Ranged combat
Must be 2 other PC's in Close Combat
May not use if outnumbered 2:1

TN 12+ parry
Rearward Stance maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance
Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level
of opponents Athletics roll. On success,
may safely flee from the scene of combat

* Morirúsë's current :<3: is in brackets. When the encounter is over and he diminishes once more (Ulmo draws back his graces), he will essentially go unconscious. If he gets two wounds in this encounter, too, he will die. Make sense? Let me know if there are questions.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc:

Greater Warg 2 attacks Grimbeorn
TN 27 bite 3d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 4, total 13

:dmg: 8    edge: 10   injury: 14

Mornhûn attacks Morirúsë
TN 31* 4d+16
*10 parry bonus from last round use of Defensive fighting

:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 4d6 : 3, 6, 2, 6, total 17

:dmg: 8   edge: 10  injury: 16

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: RESULTS

• both wolves miss their targets.

I will post again shortly for Ayrn's area of combat.

Telcontar

The Noldo elf was patient, he knew that their efforts were working by the growing light in the cave. Outwardly he sought to keep the beast engaged with him until the light of the lamp was sufficient to keep the beast from transfering its spirit to another beast and escaping them again. His taunts were working and he kept the beast focused on him.

:ooc: Defensive Parry
 :+~:
Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jan 17, 2018, 12:53 PM #4 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 12:55 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Damn! This is crazy...and I was worried the test was going to be too easy.

Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9

Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3

Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

tomcat

Jan 17, 2018, 12:59 PM #5 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 01:01 PM by tomcat
:ooc: I am awarding Tom my first roll there for 2 successes this round for his :vv: spent.  :csu:

I am awarding my second roll to Arbogast for 1 success, if he is planning on spending a :vv:

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 17, 2018, 12:53 PM:ooc: Damn! This is crazy...and I was worried the test was going to be too easy.

:ooc: These things always look easier on the other side of the GM screen.  I'll happily spend a point of Hope on a roll I already know has succeeded, though.  :csu:

While we're talking rules stuff, am I right in thinking that the Werewolf isn't getting its attribute bonus on attack rolls because of the light? 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Jan 17, 2018, 03:14 PM #7 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 03:20 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Oooh...that's right. No, he has been getting it. I just forgot to add it in the dice roll for this round.

He actually gets his +8 attribute level which is double for Denizen of the Dark to 16.

So, I hate to say it but Morirúsë is hit this round and it was pretty massive causing 24 :<3: loss!

Sorry, Tom!

Now...that said and not to just come up with some LM fiat, it was already my intention to make Morirúsë stronger than he is - to return him to his First Age resilience (kind of like Ecthelion versus Gothmog resilience).

I kind of stated it here:

QuoteArakánion drank from the offered carafe and he felt the power of Ulmo flow through him. Strength and endurance kindled that he had not felt since before the breaking of Arda.

So, the Noldo is still awake and able.

Tom, Morirúsë will effectively have double his normal ENDURANCE while this encounter persists and he will diminish once more to his current self upon his completion...if he lives.  ;)  >:D

tomcat

Jan 17, 2018, 03:19 PM #8 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 03:27 PM by tomcat

• Morirúsë's current :<3: is in brackets. When the encounter is over and he diminishes once more (Ulmo draws back his graces), he will essentially go unconscious. If he gets two wounds in this encounter, too, he will die. Make sense? Let me know if there are questions.

Grimbeorn, Arbogast and the Noldo all need 1 more :vv: success - let's see if they can do it in round 11. Remember, you guys get to roll 3d6 on that one.

Grimbeorn can still contribute to this round, so I am waiting on him before I start 11.

tomcat

Kol led the hunting party at a fast clip, using the trees to cover their movement but also trying to keep a clear view of the cave entrance.

The three Men and Hobbit pushed through the large pines and entered the clearing before the fell-beasts lair. At the same time, on the opposite side of the cave entrance, four large wargs answered their masters call.

Eclecticon

Whether it is his own growing skill or the craft of long-dead Dwarves, Arbogast does not know.  Nor, as the Warden's Axe bites deeply into the Werewolf's flank, leaving a gaping gash from which seeps a vile black smoke, does he care.  But the calm he feels turns to confusion as he sees Morirúsë continuing to pull back rather than deliver a death blow to his ancient foe.  The question that forms on his lips, though, is dispelled as the light around them continues to grow brighter and still brighter until the cavern is bathed in a radiance that almost has a texture, almost a song.  

Through the light, the Fire-watcher sees the Werewolf smash its bulk into Morirúsë, crushing the Elf against the cavern wall.  He fancies that he hears bones snap, but moments later the Elf is back on his feet, sword in hand, buoyed up by ancient powers beyond the ken of mortal Men.  

Behind him, he hears Esgalwen's gasps of pain and the snarls from Grimbeorn and the surviving warg as they clash.  

Still, the light brightens.  

"Stand fast," he calls, though he knows not exactly to whom, "and stand together!  The hour of a great ending is upon us!"

:ooc: I'm trying to Rally the troops (to grant Endurance this time, rather than eliminate weariness).  

:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 6, total 11
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

The fight continues for Grimbeorn...

Stance, Action same 1d
 :00:
Axes -  1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 6, 1, total 13

:00:
Hope -  1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 4d6 : 6, 5, 4, 6, total 21

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

>:D suck on that warg... Coming for you warg
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Morirúsë reveled in the light filling the cavern for the power of it was greater than even what it was of old. Once blessed with the light of Varda it now twinkled and shone with the blessing of Ulmo as well. The light of the heavens now shown with the glitter of crystal and the treasures of the sea. The elf was oblivious of the great pains that were being inflicted upon his body, for his spirit shown and bore a fullness he had not known in a very long time. He felt young again as he battled with this foe of the darkness.

The Noldo elf laughed as his body was crushed and smashed by the great wolf.

Still he called out strong, like the depths of the sea...
"RAGE, rage you Hoary beast! Long have you haunted the darkness, but be revealed now to the light. Behold the ancient light you hungered for, behold it's rebirth blended now with the love of Varda and Ulmo! I shall add to it the fire of my spirit and you shall see the light again before you perish forever."

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: RESULTS

• Grimbeorn completes his :vv: successes - but has given greatly of himself. Matt, Hope is a character's spirit, optimism, and how they behave. With a current 2 :vv:, the Beorning is probably going to be pretty low after he comes down from the adrenaline rush of combat.

• Grimbeorn hits the greater warg with a 23 :%: :%: success for 21 :<3: loss and the need to make a protection test

TN 18 armour 3d
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 6, 1, total 12