• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Jun 16, 2024, 03:35 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Spider Siege! - round 10

Started by tomcat, Jan 04, 2017, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jan 05, 2017, 06:51 PM #15 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017, 06:57 PM by tomcat
Poison dripped from his fangs as Tauler struck with lightning speed. Grimbeorn could do naught as the giant spider shoved through his defenses and impaled him once more. The Beorning reeled backwards while his companions looked on in horror.

Suddenly, the keep reverberated with the screech of a...hawk? Or an eagle?

There was a rush of air buffeting against the Millfort as if a tornado had formed immediately above it and then the building shook. Tauler hissed a cry of pain and quickly pulled his form up and out of the round confines of the fortress. The company could see the sky was light with the early dawn and two giants sat atop the crenelations.

"An eagle!" cried Esgalwen, and she pointed to the dark form that flapped its huge wings, all the while keeping purchase atop the Millfort with its great talons. Tauler had hunkered back holding on with its back four legs, while the rest were splayed out in front of it to fend off the eagle's beak.

And then the room was full of flapping and feathers!

Birds of prey of varied types and sizes flew through the windows that the companions had left open to allow for arrows. They were too small for the large spiders to pass, but not the hawks and peregrines that raced through like the wind. The birds fluttered about and harassed the spiders, striking at the grouping of eyes atop each ones head. The Hunter spiders were confused and the talons and beaks were creating vicious wounds.

Again there was a great screech of an eagle as Gwaihir flew straight into Tauler, his talons open to rend. The giant spider was struck and knocked from the top of the Millfort. The Windlord continued his attack and landed atop Tauler pecking and tearing with claw and beak. The company could no longer see the engagement, as the two giants were not visible through any window - still the sounds were terrible to hear.

The Hunter spiders raced away, up the walls, and out through the hole in the second floor and then quickly over the sides of the fortress. The birds of prey gave chase.

Both weary and stunned by the fast paced whirlwind of activity that had just saved their lives, the company was at last able to look to their friend.

"GRIMBEORN!" yelled Esgalwen, when she saw the young man laying on the floor in a pool of blood.

:ooc: Spider results...

• the back door took 5 more END loss

• Tauler hits with a 36 great success piercing (I will roll in a new post below).

• the attercop and hunters all missed
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Grimbeorn's protection test
TN 18 armour 0d helm +1
:00: 1d12+1 : 1 + 1, total 2

We need a  :g: really badly or Tolkien canon has to be re-written - either that or a really great roll to throw a Hope on!  :SS

I will say, Matt - if my roll sucks, I will oblige you with a roll of your own seeing as it is your PC.

[<
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Well...that roll sucked.

Matt, I will give you a chance with the dice before we "call the ball."

Eclecticon

Jan 05, 2017, 07:15 PM #18 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017, 07:29 PM by Eclecticon
The spiders are gone, pursued by the followers of the great eagles.  From being all a-din with battle, and then with the beating of wings, the fort is suddenly silent.  Arbogast lets his legs gently buckle beneath him, kneeling in the mold and spider-gore, scarcely believing that he lives still. 

Esgalwen's cry brings him out of his reverie, for there is leech-work to be done.  The Fire-watcher's heart falls once more as he beholds the wound left by Tauler upon the Beorning's body.  He wishes Idunn were here, to sing the Staunching Song and draw from him what poisons the great beast may have left as its parting gift.  But she is far from here, and no doubt with cares of her own.  With shaking hands, he begins his work. 

:ooc: To be positive, for once, Grimbeorn hasn't necessarily taken a fatal hit.  If he was already wounded when he got Tauler-mauled, then yeah - he'd be toast.  As it is, going by p 129 he's just unconscious and dying.  Bad, sure, but not 'stick-a-fork-in-him' bad. 

So a Healing roll seems to be called for.  I don't know whether the weariness penalty should apply - my reading of the Enhearten action is that it doesn't actually help the person lifting everyone else's spirits.  Hopefully it won't matter...
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 5, total 11
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Yeah, you want a spider bite treated right, get it done by someone who's been dealing with them since they knew which end of a spider to stay away from! 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Grimbeorn's wounds are deep indeed, and his complexion is already pale in the fading torchlight and the waxing sun.  Arbogast tears bandages as quick as he may, but there is scarcely a scrap of clothing on any of the fellowship not already soaked with blood or spattered with gore and grime.  That he is losing the race against his friend's own mighty heart is plain to see. 

Then, like cold water on a spring morning, it hits him - the spiders are gone, but they have left behind them a vast store of web.  Why, even Bofri is once again half-covered in the stuff - his legs encircled and his beard matted with the thick, white strands. 

He looks up at Esgalwen and Bandy, as they crowd around, already offering what help they can.  "The webs," he rasps.  "Cut as much as you can and bring it to me!" 

Once applied, the strands work like some magic of elder times.  Not only do they soak up the blood, but they are still sticky enough to hold closed the wounds about them.  Soon enough, the flow of blood slows to a trickle, then stops. 

In the quiet of morning, Arbogast lets out a sob of relief. 

:ooc: I think we've not made nearly enough use of the fact that we can tag distinctive features for AP if we can work them into the narration.  This is me using Cunning on a Healing roll.  Doug? 

Character sheet

tomcat

Jan 05, 2017, 08:28 PM #21 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017, 08:30 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Eclecticon on Jan 05, 2017, 07:43 PM:ooc: I think we've not made nearly enough use of the fact that we can tag distinctive features for AP if we can work them into the narration.  This is me using Cunning on a Healing roll.  Doug?  

:ooc: Sure - sounds cool to me!

Even as Arbogast finishes his work on Grimbeorn's wounds, there is a stir once more of air and the Millfort seems to shiver. The companions moved from where the Fire-watcher knelt so that they might once more peer up through the floor. Above them sat an eagle, great and proud. It looked down upon them with its keen eyes, and then it spoke.

"You have no more to fear. Even now, Tauler flees deep into the wood where he will need many moons to heal from the hurt he has taken. How fares the son of Beorn? Is he well enough to travel?"

"Travel?" asked Esgalwen in reply, still in shock from the turn of events and that she was talking to an eagle the size of an oliphant.

"Yes, travel. You have been summoned and we have been requested to bring you. I do not care to burden myself, or my folk, with the weight of Men and Dwarves, but t'is Gandalf who requested it of me and so I shall abide. Long has the grey wizard been friend to the Eagles of the Eyrie."

All of the companions looked at one another - Gandalf?

Gwaihir's head flitted this way and that, as he looked out for any dangers that might return. "Is the man able to be moved?"

"Yes," was Arbogast's answer, "though I do not think it wise."

"We will leave wisdom in the hands of the Wise," answered Gwaihir. "Come each of you to the second landing. Do not be afraid. My folk will carry you with the utmost in care."

The Company worked quickly to gather their things and to move the two wounded folk to the second floor. It was then that Bofri awoke again with a start, seeing the great eagle above him. Grimbeorn, too, returned from unconsciousness, but it was only to moan in pain.

Once they were all ready, a giant eagle swooped down from the sky and picked up each companion. Grimbeorn was last and it was Gwaihir that raised him up. The Windlord spoke as they flew north, "Do not worry about your horses. I have sent more friends to assist. They will find their way home to Rhosgobel."

Through his pain hazed, foggy view, Grimbeorn could see the Millfort slowly fall away as he rose into the air, clutched within the talons of the Windlord. Odd, he thought, winter has fallen over the fortress. For the Millfort and its immediate surrounds were draped in white - the silk of the many spiders that had come to kill. From the air, it looked as if a blanket of snow had covered all.

Before he passed out once more, Grimbeorn's mind continued to try and understand - the sun is warm...the forest is green...yet snow lies thick...

tomcat

:ooc: This will conclude this chapter.

More to come in the morning (evening for Paul).

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Not sure if this still matters... I will spend a Hope to gain Body as a bonus.
TN 18 Protection -  1d12+7 : 12 + 7, total 19

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Ummm it appears canon is intact with no lasting effects from that wound other than a royally perturbed Beorning when he regains his wits.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

"Uhmm hey guys...i think I left the stove on back in the shire.... so uhmm, have a good one. "
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Well, I have to chime in with my own  $OO ...

Although it was a long combat (primarily due to the holidays), it was one of the best that we have done. It had the heroic-Tolkien feel to it like the one on the bridge of Dol Guldur. I am glad that Grimbeorn rocked the new roll, too!

Great playing! Great story-telling! Everyone!

I hope everyone is enjoying our story thus far. I can say that I miss CODA mechanics a little, but TOR is growing on me. Combat moves quicker due to the fact that parry is built into the defense, but as we have seen - mechanics can be vague in a few areas.

I will be starting a new Fellowship phase today and then our new chapter later this weekend, based on how much we get accomplished mechanically in the Fellowship phase.

As we have seen, I will be adding to the Darkening campaign based on how our story is moving forward, instead of railroading things along - so for those that may have read the book, don't worry if things may be off, out of order, or removed.

This is a great group of heroes!

Telcontar

:ooc: doug, is this Fellowship phase a break in the action or the passing of the year?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Gotta say I was quite surprised with the  :g: popping up, I guess it was recompense for having about 10 or so really crappy rolls in a row (so much for Twin Strike and swatting spiders like, uh, flies).  Yes, I have to agree this has been fun.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Jan 06, 2017, 05:44 AM:ooc: doug, is this Fellowship phase a break in the action or the passing of the year?

:ooc: I am doing the math and it has been 18 days since you guys left Rhosgobel. The book has this one encounter as the activity for the whole year. I have the next year's (2953) tied to where you guys are heading, but I can't see it taking 8 months to rest and decide on your course of action.

I guess to answer your question, no. It will be a half year FELLOWSHIP.