News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Main Menu

Mountain Hall

Started by tomcat, Feb 18, 2016, 12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

"Lord of Mountain Hall and Hewn cave, please forgive my companions, theyare tired and we have indeed traveled far. We would not desire to keep you from your bussiness. I have heard and learned much while among the Woodmen, but not that they were miners. Perhaps Rorin here can offer some advice for what vexes you. Few among us would know more of the underground than a dwarf and it is his errand that principally brings us here. Perhaps we would much rather speak of it above ground at leisure?

Courtesy roll to influence not sure yet how to work the song rolls in
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 3, 1, total 6
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: As I understand it, my test is an interaction test, not introduction.

Quote from: Eclecticon on Feb 25, 2016, 08:19 PM
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 25, 2016, 08:08 PM:ooc: :&  Well isn't that a kick in the balls.
:ooc: Can he have a re-roll since he was rolling for Insight (which isn't an introduction skill) instead of Awe (which definitely is?)
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: that all went to hell in a handbasket.

Matt - no... the way the rules work for these encounters in TOR is a two part phase and successes and failures from both determine the outcome.

Phase I - Introduction: The players may either choose a spokesperson for the encounter, or they may engage in an introduction. It can be one, two, some or all in the introduction and they must use the skills Awe, Courtesy or Riddle. Once dialogue has started with the subject, successes and failures are marked in the appropriate side of the scorecard. Successes move you closer to the goal and failures are added until the Tolerance is met. If Tolerance is met than the subject stops all communication. All of this is translated, too, in the TN of the test rolls - they may go up or down depending on the trend of results.

Any PC that wants to contribute to the Interaction, must make an Introduction test, otherwise you are on the sidelines leaving it up to others. Characters with weak social skills would probably volunteer to not be in the conversation.

Phase II - Interaction: Those players that participated in the Introduction may now all make interaction tests to move towards a higher accumulation of successes to glean better opportunities (all defined by the Loremaster - as I did above).

Anyway - if Grimbeorn would like to take part in the Introduction, he must make a test with those skills listed above. Success or Failure just marks the appropriate column, but he will then be able to communicate in the Interaction - your TN's may just be a little higher.

To answer Paul - I would allow the test to be an Awe (Introduction) test, the  :~~:  means the roll is a 0 (zero), but still Matt rolled 12 on his other dice. With one advantage dice (Grimbeorn has 2) and a Hope, he could get through. The TN is 18 to use Awe, as Hartfast thinks this kind of attempt is arrogant.
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○]     :<3: 10/12       :+~: 8       :<>: 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Well ok, more complicated than I thought...  I'll stick with my action (not to be a stick in the mud but taking bad with good), instead using Courtesy I guess, though I seem to be quite discourteous as I fall victim to the bevy of  :~~: being rolled.  No shortage of drama here.  :\
Gwaithlim Weapons

disench4nted

:ooc:
Yikes....Rorin is just going to uncomfortably stand there and try not to throw fuel on the fire.

Telcontar

To late man, might as well punch the guy and loot his hall at this point.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 26, 2016, 01:19 PM:ooc: Well ok, more complicated than I thought...  I'll stick with my action (not to be a stick in the mud but taking bad with good), instead using Courtesy I guess, though I seem to be quite discourteous as I fall victim to the bevy of  :~~: being rolled.  No shortage of drama here.  :\

:ooc:  ;)  LOL! Actually it's pretty easy when you look at it, it's just always harder for me to convey stuff in PbP than if we sat around a table.

Remember, too, in TOR - an :~~: is only a 0 (zero) result to your dice roll, unless it comes to certain tests (i.e. combat, hazards, etc.). So a character could still succeed on a test, even though he rolled an :~~: , as long as his Success Dice add up to the TN or greater.

Okay - so you are going to leave your roll as it stands, but make it an Awe TN 18 roll. RIght now it is a Failure - do you wish to try to make it a success by adding one of your Success dice and a Hope if needed?
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Yes, yes yes yes, use the resources!
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: Okay, by using a Hope you will add 9, making it 21 which is a Success on TN 18  :csu:

Arbogast can use a Hope on his Riddle roll that will add 6, making it a 17, which is a Success on TN 16  :csu:

Bandy is the only one who fails with his additional Courtesy roll.

Matt, I updated your sheet for the Hope. Paul, I did the same, but let me know if you object to using the point.

Encounter Status:

PC| Skill| Success| Fail
BandyCourtesy (Intro)
EsgalwenCourtesy (Intro)
GrimbeornAwe (Intro)
ArbogastRiddle (Intro)
BandySong (Inter)
BandySong (Inter)
BandyCourtesy (Inter)
TOTAL

tomcat

:ooc: With 7 success, you guys have locked in Rorin's requirements at cost...do you want to, or need to, try for better results?

Test Success thresholds:

0-2Hartfast has no time
3-5Hartfast offers food and shelter for a few nights, plus will supply the provided materials at cost plus 25%
6-8Hartfast offers food and shelter for a few weeks, plus will supply the provided materials at cost
9+...Hartfast offers food and shelter for a few months, plus will supply the provided materials at cost minus 25%

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I'm torn between "quit while we're ahead" and "let's go for it, roll the dice".
Gwaithlim Weapons

disench4nted

Since we've only got one failure, Rorin will actually go ahead and make an introduction and try to push for the final tier. No sense in anyone else sticking their necks out.

:00: Introduction (Riddle)
Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 5, total 9

I'll use my advantage die and a point of hope in that order if I don't have a success
:00: Advantage die (if needed)
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

Wits (unfavored) +4

disench4nted

Cool! Don't need to use either. I'll try to get a RP post about this (with additional rolls) up tomorrow, but it may be Sunday. I'm about to be pretty busy for tonight and tomorrow.

tomcat

:ooc: With 8 success, you guys have locked in Rorin's requirements at cost...do you want to, or need to, try for better results?

Test Success thresholds:

0-2Hartfast has no time
3-5Hartfast offers food and shelter for a few nights, plus will supply the provided materials at cost plus 25%
6-8Hartfast offers food and shelter for a few weeks, plus will supply the provided materials at cost
9+...Hartfast offers food and shelter for a few months, plus will supply the provided materials at cost minus 25%

Encounter Status:
PC| Skill| Success| Fail
BandyCourtesy (Intro)
EsgalwenCourtesy (Intro)
GrimbeornAwe (Intro)
ArbogastRiddle (Intro)
RorinRiddle (Intro)
BandySong (Inter)
BandySong (Inter)
BandyCourtesy (Inter)
TOTAL