• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 06:21 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

On Tyrant's Hill

Started by tomcat, Sep 12, 2015, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Bandy's story was long in the telling and he was only part way through when Arbogast got up and left the table to speak with Aldwyn.

Aldwyn stopped and turned to face the woodman when he was hailed. The man had almost made it out of the hall and stood in the doorway. Arbogast was surprised at how large the man was. He was taller than he thought and the strength of his arms and shoulders was prodigious.

He looked about to see who was near and then said, "What can I do for you?"

When the tale was done Acca laughed, "your silly! Everyone knows that Bard the Woodman killed the dragon. Then the dwarves and elves tried to steal the treasure."

Kenway  pipped up next, "you mean you came from over the mountains? Is that why you don't catch fish with your hands? All the stories of the Holbytlan we hear they live much closer. Some say they haunt the banks of the great river, or secret themselves on boats and do odd jobs when everyone is asleep."

Acca joined the discussion, "and then there are the stories about them taking women and children off of boats into their secret lairs. That's why girls and children are bad luck on a boat. But all the stories say that they float like turtles on the river and catch fish with their hands."   

OOC: HURRAY for 1001 posts.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Bandobras

"Now I never said that Bilbo killed the dragon," Bandy chides the children jovially, "only that he was there and did important things. You can be brave and useful even though you are small. I'll bet you two are brave. You are already bigger than I, and will get bigger yet. And Bard was not a Woodman, although I am sure he would have wanted many stout Woodmen with him when he fought the orcs."

"Acca, Kenway, what are these Holbytlan? I have heard stories of Hobbits living east of the mountains but thought they were children's' tales, begging your pardon. If your stories are true, how different they must from my people. No respectable Hobbit would take women and children off boats. No respectable Hobbit would go out in a boat. Only Bucklanders take to the water, and they are queer folk." That gets Bandy thinking. He takes out his notebook and pen. "Tell me more. I am collector of stories and I will put your tsories in this book for myself and others to read." 

tomcat

Sep 18, 2015, 07:47 AM #32 Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015, 08:44 AM by tomcat
The man fell to his knees, flinching from the pain upon landing - but he did not cry out, there was strength still left in him.

The manacles that latched his hands to his waist were heavy and had bit deep into his skin. Similar ones wrapped his ankles and the chains from them had made him stunted, being unable to stand to his true height. They had broken much of his body, but his will was another matter. He looked at the person before him with his peripheral vision, unwilling to gaze directly for fear of another lash across his back. The orcs had been cruel in their ministrations of torture.

The large one, Slurg, spoke, "My Master ordered me to bring you this, and for you to tend to it. It must be kept alive, but he did not command a condition." The orc gave a guttural laugh.

"And why do I want this man? Why do I have to deal with penning him here within my tower?" asked the tall shadow in black robes.

"Because the Master commands it and we do what we're told!" said Slurg, defiant in his orders.

"Who is he?"

"I do not know, but I have been told he is important. He has the blood of Westernesse in his veins, and the Master despises those folk. We all despise them!" Slurg gave the prisoner a kick to his ribs, which pleased him with a whimper. "He was found snooping around the eaves of the forest with a band of his kind - they wore the badges of Gondor and Ithilien! I am sure the Master would prefer him dead, but there must be a reason why they are here...a reason he wants you to find out."

The robed figure licked at thin lips, "Oh yes...I will certainly find out."

:ooc: Not sure if I have added any to this story yet, or not - or with our new players, but this is a Cut Scene. I like to fill our games with them to add dimension to the world and to give you guys insight into what is happening elsewhere in Middle-earth.

It is not for you to use for your PC's, only to enjoy for the narrative.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Sep 18, 2015, 04:44 AM:ooc: HURRAY for 1001 posts.

:ooc: Welcome to the comma club!  ;D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Sep 18, 2015, 04:59 PM #34 Last Edit: Sep 21, 2015, 06:26 PM by Telcontar
"I only know one song about them and not the whole thing. I haven't gotten to the fishing part yet.."

Acca stood as if he was at song, hands behind his back and staring at an indertimanate point in the distance.

"Of old was the age, when Yvanna lived;
Sea nor cool waves, nor sand there were;
Earth had not been, nor heaven above,
But a yawning gap, and grass nowhere.

The sun, the sister of the moon, from the south
Her right hand cast over heaven's rim;
No knowledge she had where her home should be,
The moon knew not, what might was his,
The stars knew not where their stations were.

In their dwellings at peace  they played at tables,
Of gold no lack did the small folk then know,--
Till thither came up giant-maids three,
Huge of might,  out of Jotunheim.

Then sought the folk their assembly-seats,
The holy ones,  and council held,
To find who should raise  the small folk
Out of Brimir's blood and the legs of Blain.

The race of the Hoblytan in Dvalin's throng
Down to Lofar the list must I tell;
The rocks they left,  and through wet lands
They sought a home in the fields of sand

Then from the throng did three come forth,
From the home of the gods, the mighty and gracious;
Two without fate on the land they found,
Ask and Embla,  empty of might.

There is more Master Bandy, but I don't know it all."

Kenway nudged his companion, that's not a story numbskull that is a song. There are all kinds of stories of the river people doing all kinds of magic and mischief. I have heard the name Brandybuck before. A man named Brandybuck opened an Inn. I heard one of scouts tell me."

"He didn't tell you that, you were snooping. And my song was good. Master Bandy wasn't it good?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Bandobras

Bandy claps loudly and enthusiastically at the end of Acca's song. "Wonderful! Well done Master Acca! You have a talent for song. Will you teach it to me when I return?"

Kenway's comment caught Bandy off guard. "Did you say that a Brandybuck has opened an inn nearby. Where is it? Do they look like me? This is a mystery I must investigate." 

"You are bright lads, the both of you, and have both given much to think about. It is late now. You had best be off to bed. I promise I wil return so we can sing songs and trade stories."

Eclecticon

As politely as he can, Arbogast engages the burly, but crippled man in conversation.  Speaking around the subject as much as he can, he attempts to find out about the relationship between Esgalwen and Mogdred while sharing stories of hunts and skirmishes with the darker denizens of Mirkwood. 

:ooc: I didn't have any inspiring roleplaying in mind when I started talking to Aldwyn - just dotting the 'i's, as it were.  I'm not sure if it would be an Insight or a Riddle roll to find out what Arbogast wants to know, so I'll give you both:

Insight:
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 3, total 6
Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1

Riddle:
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 5, total 11
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: Ok we can cut the chase then. Make a Corruption Roll for all of this paranoia and I'll work up something from Aldwyn's point of view.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Righto.  DC14 Wisdom 2
:00: 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

I still should have Arbogast talk to Esgalwen about all this, though whether that takes the form of a confrontation or a heartfelt apology probably depends on how this exchange goes. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: And the resulting Shadow point seems appropriate for all the Eyes I've been rolling. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: congrats! First one of the campaign. Dont worry others will be joining you shortyl... >:D
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Sep 23, 2015, 07:55 AM #41 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2015, 07:59 AM by Telcontar
Aldwyn stood patiently at the threshold of the hall while the Woodman made his way to him. He nodded when he approached and actively listened to the man. After a few moments he held up his hand, "Fire-Watcher, you did not stop me at the edge of the hall to tell me the tale of the slaughtered boar. What is on your mind?"

Arbogast was slightly taken aback by the response, though in hindsight his rushing out to meet him was a bit hasty. The new resident of the Black Tarn Hall came more directly to his point.

Arbogast did not have to talk to the man very long to realize that he was not in fact a woodman. While he obviously had spent much time with them, and spoke the dialect of the south almost flawlessly there was something else in his bearing and his idiom that told the Woodman he had grown up, or resided somewhere else for a long time in his youth. While working his way around to his true subject Arbogast made mention of that fact.

"Fire-Watcher, there is one great rule here in the Hall of Mogdred. No one is to speak of what occurred or what their past was during the dark years when the tower to the south was strong. I will say only that not all who fled from the tower when the Wizards came were in unwillingly bondage to the dark ones. Those days are however behind us all. Our lord says that this is a new place for us and the history and deeds of the past do not matter so long as we stand together. You think that the mothers of those two boys in there can tell you with any certitude who their fathers are? They were born soon before the tower fell and had they lived any longer they would have been food to my tormentors.  Now in the security of Mogdred's hall we are all their father. Those dark days are gone, and held at bay only through the strength and sharpness of blades."

"Do not pry into the history of the people here too deeply, were Ohdalf to hear you ask these questions he would use them as a reason to have you sent from the hall. As for my Lord Mogdred, I will say only that he has taken a liking to the Lady from the south. They were often in each other's company while she resided here looking for her friends. While she did so my Lord seemed more at peace, his decisions more, shall we say, even handed. Now, I will say no more and must be going."

The morning came quickly for the companions. The howling of the dogs was sporadic during the night, but just before the dawn the animals seemed to take it as a sign to arouse the camp, instead of the crowing of a cock, the village came to life to the baying of hounds.
The companions were given a cold breakfast by the steward of the hall, and while he was polite to Esgalwen, he was quick to send them on their way, and spared no words for the Brown Wizard. The companions were soon quickly outside the walls of the hall at Tyrant's Hill.

The Brown wizard pushed up the brim of his hat and motioned for the companions to gather around him when they had passed the sight of the walls.

"Well, I hope that was a fruitful stay for you all. I believe that to be an unwholesome place, perhaps it is the land itself that is slow to release the stain on the land, or perhaps it is the people themselves. Our welcome was better than I expected nonetheless. Mogdred and his men our out and about somewhere ranging. Many friends told me that they left two days ago and took a larger body of men with them than usually. Either they were expecting more of a fight or to go farther than usual I do not know. As we grow closer to the dark tower the natural beasts of the forest are hesitant to go there so my information grows less, hence the purpose of our quest. Rorin, Orophin, would you return to Rhosgobel? I would like the Sunstead to know that Mogdred is out in force, as a Warning mind you. I have not yet guessed at his intentions."

The two nodded to the brown wizard, made their goodbyes to the party and made a quick retreat out of southern Mirkwood.
As they said their goodbyes Radagast rummaged in his robes and mumbled to himself. Cotenant apparently that whatever he was looking for was there he again addressed the companions.

"The road will grow darker from here on out. This was the home of the great enemy for many years and while he dwelled here the land festered and corrupted. You may see or hear things, your dreams may become troubled or worrisome. Hold to your courage. I seek only information that my friends cannot obtain for me. The road is rough and made more so by the weight of the enemy, but I will do what I can to aid you as we go."

The wizard summoned them all to him and whispered over their feet each in turn;

Vanya sulie
Quel fara
Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle
Aa' menealle nauva calen ar' malta
Lissenen ar' maska'lalaith tenna' lye omentuva
Tenna' ento lye omenta

The magic worked, he reached into the folds of his cloak and took out a leather canteen, at first he went to hand it to Bandy, but then stopped and handed it to Grimbeorn instead.

"Here is a strong drink, something like what your father makes in the north. Beware this liquor as it has been distilled with rare herbs deep from the forest. One sip only at a time and it will help alleviate your hurts should we run into greater trouble than I expect. Remember, one sip only."

The Brown robbed man sniffed at the air, turned in a ruffle of cloth that resembled the sound of feathers and stepped off into the wilderness headed south.

OOC: Radagast has cast a traveling spell on the boots, or feet, of the party. For the rest of the length of this adventure all the companions benefit from a free Attribute bonus on all TRAVEL rolls, including Fatigue Tests.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Hold on with sending them away ...

Disench4nted is back and will hopefully be reprising his role of the Dwarf.

As for Orophin the Elf, I want to pose it to Shawn to see if he wants to take up the role.

Do not make any changes yet to this post so we can be certain of the players, but we might need to tool it that Radagast sent word on wings or scurrying north on branches.

Cool?

Posterboy

Quote from: tomcat on Sep 16, 2015, 08:49 AMThe chamberlain lowered his chin, gave a sigh of acceptance and said, "Aye, Esgalwen, I know you have spent many hard months in the wilds looking for companions that are most assuredly lost. Ye take on tasks that are much to grave for a woman to bear, but you are stout of heart of you love your folk." He looked over her shoulder at the others - a strange lot indeed, but vouched for by this woman and the man who had spoke for Mogdred. "I fear you be making a mistake if you decide to press further towards the shadow hill...but I will give leave for you to cross our lands. I will even give you a night under a roof if you wish it."

Esgalwen bowed slightly to the chamberlain. "Thank you extending us the grace and hospitality of your master's house and lands. The shadows are still long in these woods, but the House of Mogdred gives me hope and brightens my path."

Posterboy

Quote from: Telcontar on Sep 16, 2015, 06:37 PMHis name was Aldwyn Healtman, and he too had once been a prisoner of the tower. Many of the folk of Amon Baulgir taunted and ridiculed the man, though Esgalwen knew him to be kind and a fierce warrior if strapped into his horse.

"They heard you were here lady and could not be contained. I see you have brought your companions that you often spoke of." The man looked the company up and down as if weighing each man in turn.

"May I have a moment of your time?"

Esgalwen nodded to Aldwyn, "of course. Acca, see that one there? His name is Arbogast and he is a Fire-Watcher and knows all kinds of stories."

In moment the two children had forgotten the dwarf had descended upon the Woodman.
Aldwyn dragged himself a ways away from the group to address Esgalwen in private.

"Lady, I am glad that you have returned. M' Lord Mogdred is much a different man when you are in our company."

Esgalwen blushed a little at the man's comment, and modestly avoided his eyes.

Quote from: Telcontar on Sep 16, 2015, 06:37 PM" When you were here you asked me about the lands around here, and what I knew of them. I have copied a crude map for you, I have little skill in drawing, but thought that it might be some meager use to you. As you know I have not been able to travel widely since I was taken to that cursed pit, but from memory I have added places that folk have lived or places were your kin may have sought out as sanctuary. I can only caution you that not all folk are peaceful, and a lady such as yourself should not travel alone or be too trusting. Now, I must be going Ohdalf does not take kindly to things that he doesn't know about and our talk will not go unnoticed. The shorter it is the better. Fair well Lady."

Esgalwen secreted the map she received from Aldwyn, as she clasped him on the shoulder. "You have shown me a great kindness, Aldwyn, like dawn's first light after the long night watch. What can I do for you for such a gift? For I do not wish my thanks to be words only, but also deeds."