• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 10:07 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

To Black Tarn and beyond

Started by tomcat, Sep 04, 2015, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Moving this forward:

Results of Lore tests for Journey

PCAdvantagePosition
Arbogast1 diescout
Esgalwen1 dieguide
Bandy1 dielook-out
Grimbeorn2 dicehunter

The next morning came and the companions found the brown wizard already up and about. If Gandalf were still here, he was being reclusive, as there was no sight or word of him.

A small pack of ponies had been stocked with an abundance of food, waterskins, and other supplies that might be needed upon the road. There were also six backpacks sitting on the ground, also packed tightly. Though Radagast did not say, it was presumed the ponies would only be going so far on this journey and so the companions began to sort out how they would carry their supplies.

Once done, a small breakfast was made and the group set off into the woods heading east. No one questioned the wizard, as to his path as this was his land and he knew it better than any. They trekked a number of miles until at last they came to the bank of the Dusky River. Sitting among the reeds, a boat of strange design lay at anchor. It had a high prow decorated with the carved head of a bird, and low flanks swept back like wooden wings. A brown sail billowed from its tall mast. Radagast quickly clambered aboard and began to direct the others to unload the ponies - all of the gear would be stored upon the river-craft. The wizard seemed in an urgent mood and said that he wished to make the transit to the Black Tarn before the sun fell beyond the Misty Mountains.

The companions worked as quickly as possible, and then were surprised to see as the ponies all turned, as a group, and trotted off back towards their sheltered home of Rhosgobel. With one hand on the tiller and his staff resting at his feet, Radagast welcomed the company on board.

The journey took only one day.

The boat seemed much too big for the narrow river, but it somehow it passed through even the thickest parts of the forest canopy without getting caught, as if the branches parted overhead to let the mast and sails go by. Sometimes, the heroes heard bubbling laughter or glimpsed the shape of a woman in the water – and all knew one of the River-maidens was nearby.

At the Black Tarn, Radagast and the company disembarked on the south shore of the lake, far from the eyes of the villagers of Black Tarn Hall. The Wizard left the companions and climbed a green hillock rising above the lake front some distance away. When he reached the top, he was met there by a tall, dark-haired, dusky-skinned woman in a black robe. She and Radagast spoke privately for a few moments, then the Wizard returned. Radagast explained that the lady he had spoken to was another River-maiden, the eldest and most powerful. She had confirmed Radagast's darkest fears - something was stirring in Southern Mirkwood. The companions left the boat behind and set off marching south, their packs now more full with the items that had been stowed.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Sep 04, 2015, 11:02 AM #1 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015, 11:04 AM by tomcat
:ooc: The first part of our journey was quite easy on the companions, being able to ride the boat down the river. The second part begins now, and here is where things become more grueling.

Your first leg is from the south end of the Black Tarn to the outskirts of the Tyrant's Hill. The journey is:

30 miles
3 days of travel
1 Fatigue test required TN 16

You will need to:

1) make a travel roll for your Fatigue test
2) a success means the PC made the travel unhindered; a FAIL result means you will increase your Fatigue by 2 (Encumbrance value)
3) on an  :~~: , a hazard occurs
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Bandobras

:ooc: Rolling will 2 skill in travel. Quick question. If I have a bonus die, can I roll it after I see the result of the travel roll, or must I commit the bonus die before the roll? Either way, I'll roll now.

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Rolled 2d6 : 3, 6, total 9

Posterboy

:ooc: Here's Esgalwen's fatigue roll (Travel 3):

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 6, 3, total 11

Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9

+3 for the Well-Crafted Backpack

Posterboy

Sep 04, 2015, 03:49 PM #4 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015, 03:52 PM by Posterboy
 :ooc: Because she got 1 roll of 6, does that mean she is allowed to help 1 companion who fails their fatigue check?

Also, is she allowed to bring the horse Mogdred gave her along on this trip? I was thinking, if we are passing by Tyrant Hill, she might return the beast to it's master for she wouldn't want to bring it to the Tower of Sorcery.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Let's roll (2d6 for Travel)! 

Rolled 2d6 : 2, 2, total 4
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc:
 :00:
Travel -  1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 3, total 12

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 07, 2015, 05:10 PM #7 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2015, 05:19 PM by tomcat
:ooc:

Grimbeorn passes the test with an 18
Arbogast fails with a 6 (Fatigue increases by 2)
Bandy passes with a 17
Esgalwen passes with a 20

Quote from: Posterboy on Sep 04, 2015, 03:49 PM:ooc: Because she got 1 roll of 6, does that mean she is allowed to help 1 companion who fails their fatigue check?

Also, is she allowed to bring the horse Mogdred gave her along on this trip? I was thinking, if we are passing by Tyrant Hill, she might return the beast to it's master for she wouldn't want to bring it to the Tower of Sorcery.

I am unaware of any rule that grants help to any PC when another rolls a 6. I do know that all PC's roll Lore to gain advantages, which they can use on Travel checks. A PC may give one of their advantage dice to another, if they wish - that is the only way I know you can help another PC in this regard. Let me know if you have read something otherwise, Ayrn.

No - the horse will roam the compound of Rhosgobel - which it will actually prefer due to no longer being within close proximity to Dol Guldur.

Quote from: Bandobras on Sep 04, 2015, 12:41 PM:ooc: Rolling will 2 skill in travel. Quick question. If I have a bonus die, can I roll it after I see the result of the travel roll, or must I commit the bonus die before the roll? Either way, I'll roll now.

Bandy - yes, I will allow you to use your Advantage dice after you have rolled your test.

Holiday is over tomorrow - I will post a game update then.

Posterboy

:ooc: I think you are right, Doug, about rolling 6s and helping others. It might have been a virtue bonus that I read somewhere.

On a different note, can Esgalwen invoke her Adventurous trait to gain an advancement point on her Travel skill?

tomcat

Sep 08, 2015, 08:07 AM #9 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 08:10 AM by tomcat
Maybe it was the encroaching heat of a fast-approaching new summer, or the changes in the environ, but by the third day's march Arbogast was feeling the toil. The Woodman felt the bite of his backpack's straps as they cut into his shoulders and arms, weighing him down with each step. He was surprised by the weariness that he felt - he had spent the better part of a year working to build a home and clear routes through the Narrows. It had to be something more.

Each day south, the forest began to close in on the path. Light disappeared deep below the canopy and the companions began to wonder of the passing of time. Branches now crossed their way and gnarled roots tripped up their footing. Old moss hung on the sides of trees and gave some of them ghastly bearded faces. The forest wildlife, too, seemed to disappear. The companions knew there were living things out there, watching them, but no longer did they hear the pleasant sound of songbirds, or the squeaks of frisky squirrels racing about overhead. The few travelers that they had seen back north, crossing between the Narrows from the new settlement of Sunstead in the East Bight to the Black Tarn Hall, or beyond, had stopped. Now it seemed they were alone in the world.

On the afternoon of the third day, the company spotted a tall tower rising above the tree-tops on a distant hill. Radagast explained to those unaware, that this was the Tyrant's Hill, once the northernmost outpost of Dol Guldur. Smoke climbed from many chimneys, and the tower was clearly inhabited.

Radagast turned to the others, "I do not wish for Mogdred, or his people, to know of our errand. Since the Folk-moot, we cannot count on his allegiance."

Esgalwen thought differently and Arbogast agreed, though he had only lent the Tyrant Hillman his support at the moot - nothing since. The Ranger of Ithilien, on the other hand, had spent a great deal of time with Mogdred and his people. Surely they would take them in and shelter them for a night to rest and regain their strength. They might even provision them with more food and water.

:ooc: You players need to have a mini-debate as to whether or not the company should approach Tyrant's Hill. I will RP for Orophin, although I might be writing Rorin out of our story seeing as disench4nted has not provided any details since before the Fellowship phase.

Posterboy

Esgalwen felt a lightness in her step, in spite of the encroaching Shadow on the woods. Perhaps it was because the forest was becoming "home". Having grown up within the Shadow of Mordor, even this darkness, though not pleasant or welcome, seemed somehow known and familiar.

And perhaps the lightness in her step was because she sensed they were heading towards Tyrant's Hill. While the Hillmen's leader was more stubborn than a dwarf's mule, Mogdred had shown the wandering Ranger kindness, hospitality, and favour... all of which she had not deserved. And, while she had spent many hours trying to persuade the man to forgive his people, his father, to no avail, Esgalwen saw a strength in Mogdred that had been through smoke and fire, and it was attractive. The hurt caused from living under the Shadow's lash, and the hate that had seeped into that wound, would last for a time, but Esgalwen held onto hope, even if the warrior kept none for himself.

The Ranger felt her cheeks grow flush as she caught herself wrapped up in so much thought over the man. She knew many back in Gondor, her father perhaps, would not approve of such love. The stories Esgalwen had grown up with described the Woodmen of Mirkwood as uncultured savages, tainted by the blood of lesser men and corrupted by the Shadow of Mirkwood.

It's not so! Esgalwen chided the voices of her past. They are a good people, proud and strong. Sure, they have not the wealth of Gondor's treasury or the strength of Gondor's army. But their's is of greater worth, a wealth of kinship and community, and the lean strength that comes from adversity. Esgalwen knew well Mogdred and his warriors were as capable as any company of rangers. So, what if I love him? He is a good man. Still, a quiet voice raised a lingering doubt... ...or, at least, he will be, you hope...

When the Wizard made plain that he actually wished to skirt around Tyrant Hill and avoid being seen by Mogdred and his men, turmoil arose in the Ranger's heart. "Lord Radagast, you are correct. Though I have lived under the grace of Mogdred and his people these past years, I cannot say that he loyalty lies yet with the Woodmen. Should we show up at his gate, I am sure he will take offense with nearly all in our fellowship. He does not soon forget the words and actions of others. Much diplomacy would be needed... and even then, I cannot say if his heart would be persuaded. Though I doubt he would harm us, he likely will not shelter us either

"However, should we slink around his land like spies and robbers and we are seen, I say with certainty any hope to gain Mogdred and his people as allies and kin will be lost. Should we be caught, I would count our lives lost, mine most certainly, for Mogdred will feel I betrayed his grace."

"I would rather hold onto hope for Mogdred's heart and speak with him, trust him though he may betray me, and perhaps find a friend in this dark place, than to move amongst the Shadows and betray him."

:ooc: As an aside... I just had a thought for a future fellowship phase. I wonder if it would be possible to work at cleansing the Shadow from an area -- by that, I mean, healing Corruption in a people tainted by Shadow?

Telcontar

Sep 08, 2015, 10:36 AM #11 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 10:40 AM by Telcontar
As Rorin waited his nose first got the hint of the rotten filth of the forest floor. To him it seemed that whenever the group stopped the ground would first grow damp, then water would pool about his heavy boots, to be followed shortly with the sickly smell of rot. The brown wizard was unaffected by this it seemed, but the dwarf noticed that the same occurred to the rest of the party.

"Will this foul reek accompany us the whole way on this errand? First a river crossing and now this mire," said the dwarf.

The others in the company seemed to pay him no mind.

Arbogast too felt that this was not the same wood in which he had been raised and brought up. There was a stickiness to it that seemed could not be washed away. The pall of rot that covered both the person and their spirit. As he thought about it he began to wonder what living in such a place would do for a person's health. He was glad for the moment's debate to drop his pack though. Bending down to do so he happened to look up at the tree tops from an awkward angle. There in the crook of a tree stood an old weather worn crow. The feathers of the bird seemed almost frayed and from its beak hung the organ of some small animal, perhaps its eye, while the bird itself seemed to watch the party and the proceedings with a keen un-animal like interest.

The Brown Wizard gazed intently at the ranger from the south as if weighing her words, when the party heard in the distance the braying of hounds.

"I don't know if it is the sourness of the people, or the land that sours them. Would you others detour to the hill or press on. I will not on this matter overrule the will of the company. Bird and Beast are my flock, I will not be a sheppard of men too."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Bandobras

This is a forsaken land, thought Bandobras. What unimaginable torments Mogdred must have suffered to be able to call this home. "I have no desire to meet Mogdred again, but neither do I want us to be found slinking through his land like so may thieves. He would be within his rights to treat us as such. I would be glad to hear everyone's counsel, but for my part, I believe we should inform him of our errand. Begging your pardon Lord Radagast, he may have no love for us, your lady excepted, but will he not see that we struggle against the same enemy? You know him best Esgalwen, what say you?"

Posterboy

Esgalwen sighed, "I cannot say if he will see our common struggle, Master Bandobras. I can say he will see the Wizard who sat next to his father at the folk-moot and those that spoke against his cause. He'll see the elf the wounded one of his men. And he'll see one of his disowned kinsmen. His anger will be furious, and his men with him. If I am fortunate, he may notice me... though his heart will ache that I have come in fellowship with you.

"But better to wait out his harsh tongue than face Mogdred's cold, pitiless wrath should we be caught crossing his land without his permission."

Eclecticon

Keeping a wary eye on the ancient crow, Arbogast half-listened to Bandobras and Esgalwen's discussion as he considered the matter. 

Mogdred is a proud man, of that there can be no doubt.  The harassment of my new home proves that he has not taken lightly the rejection of his father's folk.  He will not kindly welcome travellers from the land of the Woodmen. 

And yet, for all his spite, there has not been blood spilled between his people and the clans of the western eaves since the death of Beran.  Though he may consider himself the enemy of my people, it may be that he does not desire war... yet.  For surely, if what the wizards say is true, the shadow that lies upon the wood will begin to work its will on him, and whet his appetite for death and conquest. 

It may be, then, that this is the last chance to prevent the irreversible sundering of Mogdred and the Men of Tyrant's Hill, and a war that would bring only suffering and darkness to those who fight it. 

But what of the quest that brought us here?  Having received us, will Mogdred lightly grant us leave to go?  Is he cunning enough to reckon why we have travelled this far south?  Radaghast would not see the true object of our journey brought to Mogdred's notice, and such would surely be a risk.  Even if he did not mark our purpose while we abide at his hall, he would not fail to have us followed once we left, and would soon guess why we continued southwards. 

And yet...  And yet...

To prevent a war – one that might see Black Tarn Hall burn and many slain who could stand against the Shadow – is that not worth the risk?

Greatly conflicted in his heart, the young woodman looks to his companions. 

Esgalwen feels a kinship with those who have accepted her, as is to be expected.  Bandobras feels the burden of a polite guest.  Orophin and Grimbeorn keep their own counsel and Rorin has a mind only for his boots!  And Radaghast... 

Radaghast has no mire about his boots.  The foulness of this place has no mastery over him.  Does he not work his magic to hide his home in Rhosgobel when he desires?  Could he not do the same to hide travellers in the wood?  I have known men to travel twenty paces into the forest and vanish beyond the ken of hounds, and this in the peaceful western eaves! 

Reaching a decision, he finally speaks.  "We should go to Tyrant's Hill.  It may be that Mogdred's hatred for his once-kin is greater than I have reckoned, but I think that we may yet have a chance to speak to the man, and not the Shadow whose torments he remembers. 

But Radaghast, I feel that you must not come with us.  You are too much the tree that gives shade and fruit to those Mogdred despises.  If this feud is to be resolved before steel draws blood, then it is for mortal Men to do it. 

Yet we cannot expect you to tarry forever.  We may stay a day, perhaps two, before taking our leave by stealth, or force of arms, if necessary.  Your need of us is great, and we must not delay this harrowing of Dol Guldur longer, for reasons of our own." 

By chance, his gaze falls on Esgalwen as he says this last.  Do my eyes deceive me, he thinks, or is she...

:ooc: I'm trying an Insight roll to see if Arbogast picks up on Esgalwen's feelings for Mogdred.  If this doesn't add anything to the story, obviously feel free to ignore it. 

DC assumed to be 14 Insight 2
:00: 2d6 : 6, 2, total 8
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet