• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:20 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Enemy unseen, ally unnerved

Started by tomcat, Feb 24, 2012, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: I will update this story, but first I need to get your dialogue with the prisoner if you are going to talk to him.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

"Celdrahil," Dirnhael said that morning, "your tongue is far more silvered than my own. Would you please see what you can glean from our guest before we send him on his way?"
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

"I am not an interrogator of prisoners, ones with broken minds least of all."

Celdrahil cut the man loose from his bonds. The dagger was still in his hands however as he spoke to the man upon the ground.

"Your life such as it is shall be spared. If you follow or hinder us the black shadow you fled from will be a welcome haven compared to our wrath at a betrayal by you. Now tell me of these walking dead as payment for your freedom and a mount to carry you."

:ooc: I am going to try and counter intimidate him. I figure this guys mind is mostly toast already so instead of trying to piece him together I am going to try and use his fear to get what he knows out of him by providing a more immediate threat.

Intimidate (Power)+3 (+2 specilaty?) = 5
Rolled 2d6+5 : 1, 6 + 5, total 12

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on Apr 05, 2012, 06:30 AM
:ooc: I am going to try and counter intimidate him. I figure this guys mind is mostly toast already so instead of trying to piece him together I am going to try and use his fear to get what he knows out of him by providing a more immediate threat.

"I am not an interrogator of prisoners, ones with broken minds least of all."

:ooc: Oh, no. Not you...  ;)

tomcat

Celdrahil was a typical Dúnadan - tall in stature and bearing. Once stern, his face could bend the will of lesser men, even those who did not recognize the nobility that ran through his bloodline. The north man prisoner was calmer now then when they had found him. The Dúnadan's approach started him and Celdrahil's tone caused him to begin to shift from one foot to the next. It made the noble change his mood, "Calm boy! Just speak what you know."

The young warrior looked up and met Celdrahil's eyes, "In my home village of Caer Beldwyn it came ten seasons past... a fire in the sky. It shone in the sky brighter than the moon and even in the light of day was it seen. It hung there for six days and then burst into a flare of smoke and fire on the seventh, falling from the heavens.

"We feared the return of dragons, for surely only the beasts of legend could create such fire, smoke and fear. Our Elders had private council and much tribute was prepared to be sent to Angmar to appease the Dark Lord there, so as not to bring this wrath down upon us. On the seventh day, the fire fell across the horizon and thunder boomed over the world. Then it was gone.

"Soon after, the fevers came into our village. Traders from the east came and some were taken with this fever. Some were choked with coughing and vomit. The Elders turned them away, but it made no difference - the evil they carried with them was left in Caer Beldwyn. Our old began to die first, along with the children. Only the strong lived and most did that by separating those with the Coughing Death from the rest of us. Bodies were burnt to cleanse them and to again offer them up to the Witch-king.

"Caer Beldwyn was no longer the strong rampart it had been. The Ashaktur continued to send his commanders to conscript all able-bodied men into the armies of Angmar. I was taken a year ago on my Age Day. Soon, there were no more men to take. The villages of the North have been hit hard by the Choking Death that came from the sky.

"Then the Shadows came. We in the army began to see dark movements across the plain. Dark shades that did not have body, led by a gruesome figure atop a black horse. We feared them, but the Ashaktur ordered all living ranks to keep file with our commanders and to heed this dark figure. It is said he sits atop the old throne of Eldanar, though that castle is in ruin."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Celdrahil listened to the man's tale, all too familiar to the description of the plague.

"Very well you have ransomed yourself with the truth of your story. The north has not been the only lands afflicted with such pestilence. In the lands of the south, it has come as well and devastated whole cities. Reject and forget your service to these dark powers and walk in the light of the Lords of the West, their dominion consist of caretaking and support and is not forced.

"So, where are you bound and where will you go? Times are perilous and danger grows all around. If you make it as far as Fornost tell the stable master there that Lord Celdrahil sent you to him and he may find something for you. Or, since it appears you have some military training, and you think that your courage can hold, you can accompany me as a squire, and in some small way gain revenge against the oppression of your people while fighting our common enemy."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Nolmir

Madoc nodded approvingly at Celdrahil's reply to their prisoner. He felt compassion, even empathy, for the man, seeing as how both of their homes and lives had been destroyed by the Enemy's machinations.

"It is true what Celdrahil says. You are far better off in the service of the Dunedain lords - though they be, on occasion, arrogant, you will be treated far more kindly than as a pawn of Angmar. I will not lie - danger lies in whatever direction you choose for yourself, so will you help the enemies of the Shadow that destroyed your village? Or will you aid your old masters, even if by doing nothing?"

tomcat

Apr 14, 2012, 06:39 PM #37 Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 06:41 PM by tomcat
The man looked at Madoc, "Long have we lived in fear of the Men of the West. From the old tales of their coming and claiming the lands of those that had lived here for many lives of fathers, to now with their constant raids into Angmar. Life here is hard enough and it is only through the protection of the Witch-king that we maintain any strength... I will give my answer with the morning light. Surely then signs will present themselves and the gods will speak to me through wind and soil." He then looked at Celdrahil, "Do you speak truths? Will I really have a horse and a free road, if that be my choice?"

The Dúnadan felt a flare of temper rise with the question but he silently suppressed it, "The road will be yours." He then stood and left Madoc and the Angmarim to themselves and strode to where Edrahil, Fengel and Dirnhael sat by the fire. The Elf looked at him, "So, nothing new that we did not know already, eh? Well the one thing that is revealed is that whatever it is that walks the Earth when it should be sleeping in the Halls of Mandos, is that it does not make ally of anyone."

Madoc and the stranger soon joined the others around the fire and slowly the companions found sleep, only one keeping watch. The night passed.

The morning did come with a change - a lone rider came from the south along the road that they had journeyed. The traveler came upon them urgently and alarmingly, but soon the keen eyes of Edrahil quelled this fear. It only took a short while before the Lord Durgil of Dorthad trotted his horse to a stop on the outskirt of the Company's camp. He smiled down at this brother-in-law, Dirnhael, "You know I can't let you have all the fun."

Dismounting, the two men locked their arms in greeting and soon they were all once more around the fire. Edrahil spoke, "So this Dark Rider sits upon the throne of Eldanar. That ruined castle is two days ride from here. What is our plan, Dirnhael? Since we have not yet seen him, I do not believe that the Lord Camentir and his Host will be along this road."

:ooc: Feel free to add any dialogue you want prior to the new morning, but I am going to be moving the game along... seeing as I have dragged it to a screeching halt due to all of my travels!  ;)

sdrotar

Dirnhael greeted Durgil with a hearty embrace. "A welcome surprise," he said. "Better than the one that may await us, I fear."
He explained the disappearance of Camentir's host and what their 'guest' has said they may have faced.

At Edrahil's question, Dirnhael waited only a moment before replying.
"We continue along our own road; more wary than before. Let us endeavor to remain unseen along it for as long as we can. The only thing that has been made clear thus far is that our goals may be even more important than expected."

Telcontar

:ooc: stock answer! Brilliant!  ;D

Celdrahil went through is usual ritual of preparing his gear and his mount for the days ride ahead. When we was done he prepared a mount for the northern man as well. One of the swords that they had found earlier hung from the pommel.

"So northerner do you ride with us or away?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"You haven't happened upon Camentir?  Sore news indeed.  In Fornost I presented the message of Mithrandir to the king and petitioned for the assistance our friend, the captain, but no direct order was given -- he left it to the discretion of Lord Camentir," he heavied a sigh out of breath and frustration.  "I have ridden far and hard to catch up to you though.  Ioreth and Gleowyn felt that I would be remiss in my duty if neither of you returned so I have come thusly to ensure your safety," said the young noble in jest.  At saying her name though, Durgil took a moment, reminded of his farewell to his love.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Celdrahil assembled with the other Dunedain and reverted to the old speech.

"Mithrandir knows what he is about. His further involvement in this enterprise underscores its greater importance. He is a man of many burdens, and when his whole attention is fixed on one you can be sure that it is full of great danger.

"I do not know the workings of the northern army, but with much transpiring it may have been led away. We must trust to the skill and devotion of its commander and focus on the tasks before us. When we come to this keep what is our course of action. My normal approach is to hit it with a sword, but if its already dead I doubt that will help. Edrahil, have you any knowledge or thoughts on this matter? Though I am loath to say it, our mission here may be one in which we focus on information gathering and not confrontation."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Apr 16, 2012, 03:27 PM #42 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2012, 07:12 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
"I have ridden far and hard to catch up to you though.  Ioreth and Gleowyn felt that I would be remiss in my duty if neither of you returned so I have come thusly to ensure your safety," said the young noble in jest.  At saying her name though, Durgil took a moment, reminded of his farewell to his love.

Dirnhael laughed and nodded. "I know better than to question the wisdom of your sister."

Quote from: Telcontar on Apr 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
Celdrahil assembled with the other Dunedain and reverted to the old speech.

"Mithrandir knows what he is about. His further involvement in this enterprise underscores its greater importance. He is a man of many burdens, and when his whole attention is fixed on one you can be sure that it is full of great danger.

"I do not know the workings of the northern army, but with much transpiring it may have been led away. We must trust to the skill and devotion of its commander and focus on the tasks before us. When we come to this keep what is our course of action. My normal approach is to hit it with a sword, but if its already dead I doubt that will help. Edrahil, have you any knowledge or thoughts on this matter? Though I am loath to say it, our mission here may be one in which we focus on information gathering and not confrontation."

"I am inclined to agree," Dirnhael said. "It seems that we may be facing something greater than what our party could overcome. Though I would also prefer not to, the wiser course of of action may be to observe - if we fall, there would be no one left to warn the southlands."

Telcontar

"Then the best course of action might not be to ride so openly. Perhaps we can scrounge enough cloaks and blankets from the Northmen site to disguise ourselves. The ruse would not work up close, but from a distance we may be mistaken for simple soldiers, or a lost and wandering patrol. I doubt our foe moves much during the full light of day, but I am sure that their spies are about, as we draw closer they will guard their lair in some manner.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"Mayhaps it would do for a bit of surveillance ahead of our own before we move out from here to get the lay of the land, diffuse any traps, or at least identify any that would spy a troop but let a single man go unnoticed," mused Durgil.  It has been awhile since he stretched legs like this and he was anxious to be out again.  He dared not speak that aloud for reproach would come ever so swiftly but never so elegantly and forcefully just as his brother in law knows all too well.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16