• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:17 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Enemy unseen, ally unnerved

Started by tomcat, Feb 24, 2012, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: First off, hello everyone! Welcome back to our Chronicles of the North game.

Even though Star Wars is still active and going into its fourth year, I have been wanting to get my other games moving again. So, LotR and Star Trek are going to start seeing some activity.

If any players are here that no longer want to play in either game, let me know. If any players are now back and want to have their PC's back in a game then let me know (i.e. Matt... although I have no idea of what to do with Darkan and how he would be back on board the Columbia.)

Anyway, here we go with getting back to the riders out of Amaran.

Dol Gormain was now two days behind the riders and the summer heat weighed heavy on man and horse alike, as they made the arduous trek across the En Udanoriath (S. "The No Man's Land"). Udanoriath was desolate, but not empty. The once fertile and well-settled regions of Northern Arnor, it was now a grassland that was dotted with old, broken towers and ruined towns, like those in Dol Gormain. Arethedain kept a contingent of soldiers along the North Road and into Udanoriath, but had too few Men to hold it, and the Witch-king lacked the strength to permanently conquer it.

The grass on the plain grew to the length of the horses' knees and it had taken on an amber color, dried as it was under the summer sun. It looked as if little rain had fallen here in a while, dust devils spinning up whenever the winds would blow. Dirnhael lifted his hand to shade his eyes so that he could gaze out across the distance. Edrahil, his trusted companion, rode up to where he stood, "There is nothing there, Dirnhael, lest your eyes can now see further than mine."

Behind the two, Fengel, Ginnar, Madoc, and Celdrahil brought their own horses to a stop. The Éothraim withdrew his waterskin and took a good pull from it. He grimaced at the warmth of the fluid, wishing instead for the clear cool streams that he now enjoyed in his lands down south. He called out, "Dirnhael, shouldn't we be seeing some, if not all, of Camentir's host?"

The commander of the King's Third Host was a good friend and ally. He and his force were stationed along the Angmar frontier, though they had no permanent settlement, instead using guerilla tactics to harry the enemy. But Fengel was right, Dirnhael knew that the road to Eldanar should have brought them to Camentir at some point. He continued to stare out into the distance.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

:ooc: So excited to be back!

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 24, 2012, 09:06 PM

Dirnhael lifted his hand to shade his eyes so that he could gaze out across the distance. Edrahil, his trusted companion, rode up to where he stood, "There is nothing there, Dirnhael, lest your eyes can now see further than mine."

"How I wish it," he said with a smile.

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 24, 2012, 09:06 PM
Behind the two, Fengel... called out, "Dirnhael, shouldn't we be seeing some, if not all, of Camentir's host?"

The commander of the King's Third Host was a good friend and ally. He and his force were stationed along the Angmar frontier, though they had no permanent settlement, instead using guerilla tactics to harry the enemy. But Fengel was right, Dirnhael knew that the road to Eldanar should have brought them to Camentir at some point. He continued to stare out into the distance.

"Indeed," he replied, filled with a sudden unease. Camentir's men were hardy, loyal, and large in number. He doubted that they could be completely overrun without some word reaching outposts further south. But they could, perhaps, be drawn away...

"Where are they?" he said to no one in particular. He raised his voice. "We ride, until either shelter or allies present themselves."
He turned to Edrahil and spoke quietly. "We should be wary of the road as we proceed."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Nolmir

Madoc's expression was grim. The others' words worried him, but he would go with them until the threat he had witnessed was taken care of.

"Aye, Lord Dirnhael," he replied to the Dunadan's words. "I just dearly hope one of them shows up soon," he added, more to himself than the others.

:ooc: Ditto on the excitement! ;D

Telcontar

The Gondorian sat high and proud upon his mount, his eyes always alert for surprise or ambush.

"Lord Camentir is a good man, and a solid commander. Let us not doubt him out of our own anxieties. He is where he needs to be. I wish we had a falcon though, I bet this open area is teaming with game."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on Feb 27, 2012, 04:48 AM
"Lord Camentir is a good man, and a solid commander. Let us not doubt him out of our own anxieties. He is where he needs to be. I wish we had a falcon though, I bet this open area is teaming with game."

"Certainly better than the spider-lands," Dirnhael admitted, happy to be past them. "There, the game was us."

tomcat

The conversation continued on a lighter note for the rest of the day. Slowly the sun made its way behind the Company and began to cast an orange light over the horizon. It became cooler now that the day was fading and spirits became lighter still. This journey was unlike the one that the men had made almost two years past - then it had been cold and the fear of sickness and the Witch-king weighed heavy on them all. Now though the Lord of the Iron Lands was still a very real threat, his presence seemed diminished by the light of the sun.

Fengel began to look for adequate folds in the land where they might make a camp for the night, and in which their fire could be built. The light of a fire could be a beacon to both friend and foe, and so the companions preferred to maintain some bit of stealth. While the Éothraim seached, the two Dúnedain spoke to themselves and the Dwarf cursed his small pony for its uneven gait. Madoc rode along in silence behind the Company and Edrahil rode at its fore. The Sindar had also been keeping his gaze peeled to the horizon and had seen naught for the day, but that changed as the sun began to lower below the distant western horizon.

He held up his hand to gain his friends attention, and then spoke softly, "Harken! There is movement before us. Horses... though I do not perceive any riders."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Celdrahil upon seeing the elf raise his hand brought his shield around to its proper fighting position while his spear remained up as it had so far on the journey. The small green pinion stirred as he readied himself. The Gondorian Knight took few chances, it was always better to look prepared and armed even if one was meeting friends or allies.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Dirnhael put his hand upon Vorandur, and whispered to Edrahil.
"Can your eyes see if they are saddled?"

This was not Fengel's land; on occasion, packs of horses roamed free here.
But he doubted it was the case on this night, not with Camentir's men away.

With any luck, the horses' masters were of Camentir's host.
If not... Dirnhael began to think of all the ways that he could make the riders tell him where Camentir went, and gripped his sword a bit tighter.

Nolmir

Madoc quickly strung his bow as Dirnhael and Edrahil conversed and Celdrahil brought his shield to bear. His grim mood from earlier in the day returned, and any sign of movement struck him as hostile in this land. At least the grassland allowed plenty of open space for his bow to do its work.

tomcat

Mar 04, 2012, 11:23 AM #9 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 08:03 AM by tomcat
Edrahil spoke to Dirnhael, "Some of the animals do appear to be saddled, though they look in disarray. Bridles hang from bits and one horse looks to have its saddlebag pulled from its flank, though it still drags it behind. Also, Dirnhael, these are not horses of the Éothraim, which are strong and tall; nor are they of the Elves, which also tend to be tall, but more slender. These appear to be the shaggy ponies of the northern marches of Arnor, which generally roam along the feet of the Misty Mountains - the Hillmen of the north take these animals as mounts. This said, I can be most certain that this was no rank of Camentir's host."

The animals in the distance just moved amongst themselves, occassionaly lowering their heads to crop the grass - no men moved amongst them. The wind blew the grass as the shadows from the companions began to grow longer with the setting sun. The Sindar looked to each of them, "I see no apparent threat, but be on your guard."

:ooc: Do you all approach?

sdrotar

Dirnhael relayed the information to his fellows, and gripped his sword.
"It is unlikely that we will find friends here. The horses appear as if they fled - or were abandoned - after a battle."
He paused, knowing what he was asking.
"There is no way to discover anything further from here; I suggest we search the horses' saddlebags and the area for further information regarding Camentir or his mens' whereabouts."

Telcontar

"Indeed. Let us clos the distance, then Madoc and I will approach. He can cover me with his bow while I check for an ambush, then call the others up to secure and search the area."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on Mar 05, 2012, 05:52 PM
"Indeed. Let us clos the distance, then Madoc and I will approach. He can cover me with his bow while I check for an ambush, then call the others up to secure and search the area."

"Very well," Dirnhael replied. He wasn't the type to ask anyone to do what he would not. "I shall join you while Edrahil watches for signs of movement."

Nolmir

Madoc nodded at Celdrahil's suggestion. "Aye, I'll cover you, but if this is an ambush, there are liable to be as many men as there are horses, and I don't like those odds. Neverless, Dirnhael is right, we need to find out what we can."

Telcontar

"I'll approach only close enough to see that what we see from here is accurate and there is no trap."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear