• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 09:11 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

EPILOGUE - The Aegis

Started by tomcat, Jan 19, 2011, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

"Well," Caden sighed at Logar, "Thanks for your help in that scrap back there. We've seen a lot of action, but those two bounty hunters, that lightsaber-carrier and the clone troops were more than usual.

"We're not soldiers. I went to Bakura to investigate a crime for Senator Kal Ranie, a friend of mine. A couple of months ago, it was just me, my co-pilot Kex and Sam back there. We lived easier back then; moving cargo, making a few creds. Things weren't bad. We picked up Brim a little later when he needed a hand."

Caden flopped down in a chair by a computer, groaning a bit as he did. He was lucky it wasn't worse.

"Long story short, I took the side job on Bakura because it was quiet and it was going to pay handsomely. But we stumbled into something far bigger than a simple murder. Drug-running, Imperial involvement, possible assassination - who knows? It wasn't what we signed on for. We met Kara, our new pilot, in much the same way we met you. Britton, too - like he said."

He breathed deeply and regretted it. Ribs.

"Long story short - on Bakura, someone killed Kex, and Kal - two of my oldest friends, along with a man named Dan Qinos, who we were supposed to bring to Bakura. They damn near got all of us, and when they didn't, they pinned Kal's murder on me and whoever's on this ship.

"You might not have picked the best spot to land, my friend," he said grimly.

"As for Kaida? Well, maybe she'll get around to telling us why she's hunted, too. Sure hasn't been worth the creds she's paying me."

He regretted saying it - he liked Kaida, and he sympathized with her plight. Senator Organa had made some of it clear. But between Kaida, Kara and whoever else, he was done with letting others keep secrets from him anymore. This ship was more than just transportation, it was his home, his livelihood, and if he was going to die in it, he sure as hell wanted to know why.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: Fantastic posts! I love this stuff!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

donimator

Sam checked his equipment, replaced charge packs and made sure everything of his was operational. He processed what he knew of their coming mission and tried to evaluate the tactical roles of the crew based on an unbiased assessment of their skills he has observed. And new personnel...that was an unknown that would have to be investigated.

Sam hooked into the Aegis' computer and did a basic system diagnostic of the ship to make sure nothing had been missed in the haste of the previous days. It was a dependable craft, but neglect of the simple things was a ship's worst enemy.

He kept an eye on the sensors as he worked, scanning for any pursuit. If nothing turns up on the scanners, and if nothing odd is flagged in the diagnostic, Sam begins his maintenance shutdown.

Callowmoryne

Feb 02, 2011, 06:22 AM #33 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2011, 06:27 AM by Callowmoryne
Logar eyed his empty cup. His right knee was already going with a restless jitter, another cup and hed be bouncing off the bulkheads. "Well cap'n i appreciate your candor. And i can hear in your voice your frustration at the loss of old friends, i know this pain too. And ill just bet you wonder what else this adventure will take from you before its done.  I can help, i know another gun is no garauntee but it wont hurt your situation as i see it. And ill give you my word right now, ill do everything in my power to keep you and your people and this ship going and out of imperial hands.If you'll have me ? Logar wondered at his feelings, he gave his word. And he meant it. His heart was out ahead of his brains again. Well that was it really, he did mean what he said, done is done his smother would say. He only hoped theyd let him stay and hed get a chance to make some noise. He only hoped this captain would give him the green light,  and tell him where to bunk.

watanabe

:ooc: Am I still in the cockpit, or can I jump into this conversation?

tomcat

:ooc: The ship is on auto-pilot, Nick, driving down the hyper-lanes. You may be anywhere in the ship you would like - so feel free to jump into the conversation.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Feb 02, 2011, 03:48 PM #36 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2011, 03:51 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: Callowmoryne on Feb 02, 2011, 06:22 AM
Logar eyed his empty cup. His right knee was already going with a restless jitter, another cup and hed be bouncing off the bulkheads. "Well cap'n i appreciate your candor. And i can hear in your voice your frustration at the loss of old friends, i know this pain too. And ill just bet you wonder what else this adventure will take from you before its done.  I can help, i know another gun is no garauntee but it wont hurt your situation as i see it. And ill give you my word right now, ill do everything in my power to keep you and your people and this ship going and out of imperial hands.If you'll have me ? Logar wondered at his feelings, he gave his word. And he meant it. His heart was out ahead of his brains again. Well that was it really, he did mean what he said, done is done his smother would say. He only hoped theyd let him stay and hed get a chance to make some noise. He only hoped this captain would give him the green light,  and tell him where to bunk.

"Sounds like neither of us have much to lose anymore," Caden replied, offering his hand. "Keep my ship in one piece, watch my back if you can, and I'll promise you the same. That's about all I can offer you besides a bunk at the moment - that, and a crack at the Empire. Welcome aboard the Aegis."

Callowmoryne

Logar took the offered hand and smiled. " Glad to be aboard captain, ill do my best." Logar rose from the table, his excitement palpable. He gathered his duffel bag and backpack from the hall. Ready to unpack "Katherine" in her new home. These are good folks Kat, he thought to himself. Well as good as we are likely to come across. Folks worth killing for are hard to find. And i do so like to have a good reason, makes me a bit less ashamed that i love my work. He felt a little too giddy for his own good, too much caf. "So where to Cap'n, got room in crew quarters or setting up elsewhere?"

tomcat

:ooc: I updated the Loronar's interior layout to reflect Caden's modifications on the ship. Since the ship is no longer used as an explorer, he re-structured it to fit the needs.

You can go here to see the image, or go to the Stats Block thread for more details:
Loronar E9 - Deck 1

sdrotar

"There's a room down the hall. You'll have to shack up with Britton, I'm afraid - this ship's not set up for passengers, but I can find you some personal space.

"Sam can show you around if you need anything," he added, knowing that Sam would use any opportunity to analyze their new comrade, as well.

"In the meanwhile, I assume your back's strong enough to offload some cargo - that's our next order of business. We can't go very far without putting some creds back into the ship."

The man seemed genuine enough. Maybe they got lucky again. "Face it," Caden thought," He's right - we do need another gun... as many as we can get our hands on."

tomcat

Feb 03, 2011, 12:56 PM #40 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011, 03:56 PM by tomcat
:ooc: All PC's are awarded the following in XP:

Brim   -     2,000 :csu:
Britton  -   2,000 :csu:
Caden  -   3,000 :csu:
Kaida  -  3,000 :csu:
Kara  -  3,000 :csu:
Logar'Dan  -  1,500 :csu:
Sam  -  3,000 :csu:

This chapter is over, but feel free to dialogue anything else you would like in this thread.

watanabe

Kara came walking down the hall and looked at the new comer and then at Caden.

"You are running a real charity here Captain, you are going to need a bigger ship if we keep picking up people at every stop." she looked at the newcomer, uncertain of who this person was.  "Name's Kara, just stay out of my room and don't bring too much trouble."  Kara flopped down on a chair and put her legs up on a nearby table.  "Oh yeah, don't touch my liquor without asking."

tomcat

:ooc: Just so you know, the four crewmen berths on the ship are double-bunked and then there is the Commander suite and the first officer suite. So, the Aegis can comfortably accommodate 10 people... keep growing and it might become more challenging.

And, nice post Nick! I like Kara.

Jingo

Kaida kept to herself and tried to stay busy throughout much of the hyperspace voyage. She helped to bandage up the injured, took stock of the inventory in the infirmary, triple checked the med kits and other supplies, and probably quadruple-checked her blasters. She even tried her hand at mending some of her clothing.

But mainly, she retreated inward. Polite conversation she took and gave, as well as she could, but she kept it at a deliberately shallow level. The news of the death of her father and brother were still too fresh. During a conversation the slightest phrase or inflection in someone's voice could sometimes send her mind drifting to latch onto some fond memory of either or both of them, and then she'd have to play catchup.

She smiled when smiled to, but the smile rarely touched her eyes.

She ate, not because she liked it of course. What was to like anyway when it came to food spat out by the synthesizer? She ate to keep up her strength. It was simple: calories in and energy out. Energy needed to accomplish her purpose. Taking the fight to the Empire.

The Empire. Her thoughts revolved around it. Not in some vengeful way. Out of what then? Was it a sense of justice? Of righting what was wrong in the universe? Oh, true, she had always been a little bit of a control freak, but this? Wasn't she aiming a bit too high? How could their little group possibly make a difference against such an entity.

But that was where she found meaning. A cause. And that cause was as simple and as old as humanity itself: Freedom

And wherever there was freedom, there was always an encroachment of tyranny. Freedom first for her world, then for the galaxy. Freedom and justice. She would see it done, surely not in her life time, but she would see the beginnings of it. And if not, she'd die trying!

With resolve She punched a button, powered up one of the ship's computers, and began reading.

She read up on everything the Aegis had on the Empire's. She studied its recent movements, looking for patterns, for weaknesses she could exploit. She also studied the tactical situation on their upcoming mission, going over the hologram diagrams, memorizing as much as she could about the layout of the place.

Better to stay busy, she thought. Better to stay busy than get too close to her companions, companions who may very well be blasted to smithereens in the next firefight.

watanabe

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 03, 2011, 01:07 PM
:ooc: Just so you know, the four crewmen berths on the ship are double-bunked and then there is the Commander suite and the first officer suite. So, the Aegis can comfortably accommodate 10 people... keep growing and it might become more challenging.

And, nice post Nick! I like Kara.

:ooc: Thanks, its a fun game, and I'm trying to put more effort into all of my games and characters this year.  I'm shooting for an all around enjoyable experience for all.  Also if anyone thinks Kara is a bit of a jerk, I'm sorry, just trying to make her a cocky female Corellian.