• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 11:16 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Prologue: An inn and a drink... [original story]

Started by tomcat, Dec 14, 2010, 09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 14, 2011, 04:45 PM #135 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2011, 07:48 PM by tomcat
:ooc: A couple things to help you with your posting and dice rolling.  (-D

First, your OOC marker is not working because you need to have a space between the :00C: and the the next word. Same with the Dice icon.

As for your attack, I totally believe you and Congratulations! Just so you know, if you use the in-post dice roller, you cannot go back into the thread and make any edits. Otherwise it comes up with the tampered with icons.

Also, I forgot give you some pc updates. You may increase any 5 skills by 25%, and any 3 by 35%, but no skill may be repeated. I will also be giving you a few items of value, but I need to think on them a bit.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

The arrow from Kerth's bow struck the undead man between the base of the skull and the neck. The accuracy of the shot amazed the Elf, and it severed the spinal cordof the undead monster. It immediately fell limply to the ground only to be replaced by another. The zombies were now coming from out of the fog in all directions, filling the side streets as they milled onto the main throughfare. Sho was already racing to the barricade while Branon still looked pleadingly at Strongwind. But with the Daqeen's snarled reply, he resigned to run to the barricade himself. The priest, still graced by the Light of Aodhan was like a hot knife cutting into a scoop of lard. The undead creatures hesitated or stepped back as Branon ran by.

Strongwind could see that the undead creatures were coming from all directions. His only hope now was to make the dash for the barricade, or return the way they came. He would not abandon Pedowin to these things and so chose the latter. He kicked his heels to the horse's hindquarters and they ran. Like a shot in the fog, a pack of carcass eaters gave chase. Strongwind heard his horse cry in literal fear as the undead dogs closed in and began to leap at Pedowin's haunches.

Behind Strongwind, the undead watched the man and horse leave and some, too, gave chase, but the better part of the horde turned in the direction of Branon and Sho... and the barricade. Kerth saw the wave of undead now readying to approach and he wondered if the makeshift barricade would hold again.

:ooc: Okay John, you are riding out of the area, back the way you came. There are a total of seven of the carcass eaters (undead dogs) running behind you. I am going to make an opposed Run test between Pedowin and the dogs to see if the undead can catch up, but it will have to wait until tomorrow for that.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Sorry for the delay guys - been a bit busy and then had the holiday weekend.

The Run test will be a Agility:Agility test. If they win, Strongwind may be attacked. If attacked, Strongwind can use his attack to spur Pedowin on to get away again. If unsuccessful, again the undead dogs can attack. And so it will continue, but understand that each time Pedowin is urged on, the horse's agility score will reduced by 2.

Carcass eaters Agility 15
Pedowin's Agility 16

:00: Carcass eaters have a 45% chance to catch and engage the horse and rider
Rolled 1d100 : 82, total 82

tomcat

Kerth saw the man that was clearly a priest reach the barricade unscathed by the undead that now surged in. In fact, the zombies seem to hesitate to attack Branon, though they no longer fled at the sight of him. The priest pulled himself up on the pile of wood, broken wagons and furniture, holding an hand out to Kerth, as he did. "HELP ME!" he shouted.

Behind them, Sho also had run towards the wall, but was now cut off. The Yoshiman swung his quarterstaff and split the skull of an undead woman before him, her mottled torso was bare and the flesh that was once her breasts hung torn from her chest. No sooner did the undead woman fall then another creature took her place. Sho made good of this one, too, but it was evident that he would soon be outnumbered and worn down. He was a mere five yards from the wall!

:ooc: Let me know if Phil is going to come back - otherwise Sho will fall to the tide of undead.

Callowmoryne

:ooc: phil says you can kill him buddy :(

tomcat

Pedowin ran hard. Strongwind could feel the terror within the animal and heard it breathing heavy. He did not try to slow his mount, knowing that its own survival instincts had kicked in and Pedowin would not stop until it felt safe. The Daqeen just held on a let the horse take him out of the village and deeper into the mists.

The undead creatures were far behind now, unable to keep up with the Nestar Plains horse. Strongwind became concerned as the panic resided and fear of his horse harming itself in the fog took the fore. He spoke softly to Pedowin and slowly reined it in, until at last the horse was at a trot, then a walk. It's lungs were active under his saddle and he continued to sooth him, all the while listening for any sound in the mists that might be danger.

Strongwind estimated that the horse had run just under a mile and knew he would need to back track on foot, if he were to go back to Barovia and help his friends. He hoped that they were well and had made the barricade. With Pedowin now calm, Strongwind dismounted and once more listened to the stillness. There was nothing.

He began to take from his horse all the things he might need.

:ooc: Let me know, John, if it is still your plan to return to Barovia and leave your horse behind.

Callowmoryne

:ooc: yeah I will find a safe place to leave pedowin in as safe a place as possible. Not sure whether to tie him up or let him roam free so can haul ass from danger, and then how do I locate it once im done, but he will return on foot. I'll try to get it posted tonight after work, deciding what to do

Callowmoryne

Strongwind gathered his gear. Taking all his weapons, his pack, a blanket roll and what little foodstuffs he had. He looked Pedowin in the eyes. "May not return. You must run from danger old friend. If live will find you. Grass here. And last of feed for you. Dont eat all at once." Pedowin was his oldest living friend and he hated to leave him. The horses of the nestar plains were a smart breed. This one was a good example. He followed direction well and Strongwind had felt more than once that Pedowin somehow knew his thoughts. He set the feedbag on the grass opening the flaps and folding them back. "Not want to leave you. Must go old friend. Stop darkness." He took a moment to rub his flanks and scratch under his chin. In parting he pressed his forhead to Pedowins. Eyes meeting he hoped not for the last time. In his voice he used to command the horse he clicked twice. "Stay close." Pointing at the ground." Run from danger."  He turned away and headed back toward  Barovia. 

daxkran

Kerth saw that the monk was to be overrun by the undead and felt a turning in his stomach that was more a recognition of what the man would face beyond life rather than a twinge of sadness or emotion. At the priest's shout for help he turned away from the monk and left him to his fate.

He slung his bow onto his back and reached out a hand from the makeshift barricade toward the priest. "Take my hand, sir," he said. "It seems your friends shall not be as fortunate!"

Kerth took the man's outstretched hand and began to pull him up the makeshift wall.

:ooc: Sorry I have been out for a bit guys - I had to move and the UVerse guy just hooked me up Friday. Thank you for the tips Doug - I suck at this newfangled web stuff.  :-[  I am also sad to see Phil not participate further.  :(

tomcat

Kerth hauled Branon up to the top of the barricade as the undead closed in the area where he had stood. All along the wall, the townsfolk of Barovia had marshalled and were now standing there with long polearms to shove the creatures back. Some came, too, with bottles of alcohol that had long, wet, strips of cloth within the necks. The wicks were lit and the bottles tossed out into the crowd of zombies where they burst and created a conflagaration of burning flesh. The undead creatures with no recognition of pain, burned and bumped into each other and slowly the fires spread. The men with polearms kept the burning zombies away from the wall and slowly the piles of newly dead became a burning barrier to the barricade itself.

The smell was atrocious.

Branon and Kerth stood and watched as the zombies began to thin out - the creatures realizing that no food was present. The priest looked to see where Sho had once stood and now only saw his torn robe, and his staff. He sighed, and then looked further beyond wondering if his other companion had gotten away. Finally, he turned to the Elf who had saved him, "Good day Sir Elf! May Aodhan bless this meeting, for certainly it was fortunate that you were here!"

Pedowin seemed to understand the Daqeen. The horse clopped at the ground and watched as Strongwind walked away. It gave a high whinny and the man turned back to see his horse nod its head up and down a few times, and then it turned and walked towards the open fields and forest beyond.

:ooc: I am going to start a new thread, but if you want to add anymore here, you may. John, I am not going to RP Strongwind's trip back into Barovia, just going to add colorful narrative in the new thread.

tomcat

"By Aodhan's light!" exclaimed Branon when he saw Strongwind appear amongst the townsfolk of Barovia. 'You made it!"

The priest had been saved by Kerth not two days past, and had spent the time getting to know his elven savior. He also had spent time with the other folk within the barricade - all of which had the mindset that they were not going to give up their town. In the tavern, with food and spirits running low, the people gathered nightly to chase away the evil tidings with what songs they could muster. All the while, men and women watched the barricades to ascertain that no undead were undermining the walls.

Branon had met the constable - son of the burgomaster, who was said to be laid up in his mansion on the south side of the town. It was not known what sickness had overwhelmed the town's leader, only that all of the folk suspected he was still alive, guarded by his daughter. The priest had also been told that the undead plague had started the previous Spring, and some believed it was after the town's pastor's son had taken ill. The boy had become sick and had deteriorated rapidly and some of the townsfolk spoke of dark promises made by the pastor to save his son. The church was on the northside of the town, and it too was outside the barricade.

Strongwind saw the priest and nodded. He was haggard looking and he smelled of offal, but why it was so, he would not speak. The Daqeen had spent the last two days traveling back into Barovia and the things he saw would haunt him for a good while. He had lived to see his people destroyed by the very priests with whom he now allied. He had ridden with Tarkus Haas - the last Rider of the Pale - and the two had seen many horrors in their travels. Strongwind had been to the very gates of darkness - the fortress of Darkhold - but still he had not been witness to the same horrors as those in Barovia. Children, women, men and animals all, had become the play things of the undead, only to join their ranks if enough of the bodies had been left. The Daqeen would not relay what he saw for fear of making the images more permanent, but he now went with the belief that the whole town needed to be burnt from the face of the Earth.

Seeing that Strongwind was none to talkative, Branon started conversation of his own. "This is Kerth," he said as he pointed to the Elf. "Unfortunately, our friend from Yoshima did not make it."

Strongwind did not answer that he was already aware of that fact - he had seen Sho walking aimlessly down a foggy street. The Yoshiman's throat had been destroyed by claws and teeth, ravaged to the point where his head was still held on by loose muscle tissue and the unholy energy that animated these corpses.

Branon continued, "I have found out much more while I awaited your arrival, but I will wait to tell you until you have had a chance to rest and clean up."

Callowmoryne

Strongwind offered a hand to Kerth. "Well met Kerth, the music and arrows from the mists. Many thanks." Strongwind eyes tried to hide the horrors playing over and over in his mind. "Need rest. Food. Then give what help i can."

tomcat

:ooc: Wanna get a bit of back and forth character interaction between Kerth and the new PC's before I move this on.

daxkran

Inthe days that had passed with the priest, Kerth spent them half listening to conversation and half participating in day to day menial tasks once he discovered that Brannon's companion who had chosen to ride away rather than make for the wall was none other than Strongwind, one of The 13 - companion to Tarkas Haas. He had listened to the priest's tales and in some way it helped him understand the rider Haas as they both served Aodhan, and perhaps Brannon had a small part to be sung as he was now part of Strongwind's song. He had spent his time in giddy excitement and distraction, but also trepitdation that the Daqueen would not make it back to Borovia. Kerth was sure that Fate or some other force had brought them together and was convinced now he would complete The Song. Perhaps Strongwind could even bring Kerth face to face with Haas and more of the riders against The Black Keep.

When Kerth saw the figure approaching he was transfixed and knew it was Strongwind before Brannon even introduced him. Chords ran through his head as clear as if he had played them. E flat, A flat, B flat, and C minor - that was the progression that would define the Daqueen's part in the Epic.

Kerth nearly stumbled on his words but managed to say - "Well met indeed, Strongwind. You are legend, and like your time with Haas, consider me to ride with you. I offer words, music, and the occasional bow in exchange for your tales!"

Callowmoryne

Strongwind tried to find a smile for the elf but his heart was weighed down by his walk back to Barovia. " Welcome to join me Kerth. My path is danger and death and little reward.  Dark days apon me again. But i am Daqueen. Will push on. Find the source of this darkness, and crush it. You spoke of the Haas, You know him?"