• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 06:02 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Jovan Station

Started by tomcat, Sep 28, 2010, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donimator

Sam was happy for the work. This was the Outer Rim and a back alley store, but he knew he was still be taken advantage of. It had been some time since he worked, though, and the owner seemed honest enough. Not many would give his kind a break. He was just a reminder of the oppression that existed before the Empire. He would prove his worth and then look for more.

"I accept your terms of an apprentice wage. If my skill proves valuable to you, we can discuss details of continued employment. I think when you see my results, you will not want me going to one of your competitors." Sam certainly hoped these weren't famous last words. Hyperdrive engines were somewhat related to the power generators he cut his teeth on and besides it's not like it was...well, yes...it really was rocket science.

:ooc: I'll trust my fate to the die roller. 10 rolls that I'll take in sequence and apply the results in the next post to see how far I get. (I'd almost prefer 2d6's here as opposed to a d20!)

Sam's Mechanic Rolls TN 20
Mechanics +17

Rolled 1d20+17 : 3 + 17, total 20

Rolled 1d20+17 : 16 + 17, total 33

Rolled 1d20+17 : 10 + 17, total 27

Rolled 1d20+17 : 15 + 17, total 32

Rolled 1d20+17 : 7 + 17, total 24

Rolled 1d20+17 : 19 + 17, total 36

Rolled 1d20+17 : 4 + 17, total 21

Rolled 1d20+17 : 8 + 17, total 25

Rolled 1d20+17 : 6 + 17, total 23

Rolled 1d20+17 : 16 + 17, total 33

donimator

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 14, 2010, 02:15 PM
There are 10 engines that need repaired (in HP's) of the following amounts - 12, 15, 10, 7, 8, 6, 11, 5, 4, 3

Each hour a Mech roll may be made at DC 20. Each success will give the following results based on degree of success:

Dice result range:
10 - will be a catastrophic failure causing the engine an additional 1d6 in damage... will receive no pay
15 - will be a disastrous failure causing the engine an additional 1d4 in damage... will receive no pay
19 - will be a failure but no additional damage to engine but hour used... may receive no pay
20 - Success, hour spent and 1d8 in HP's may be applied to engines (meaning if you roll 4 on d8, you could repair engine 9 completely; repair engine 10 and then apply the remaining 1 point to another engine; or apply all 4 points to an engine with higher damage, etc.)
25 - Superior Success hour spent and 2d6 in HP's may be applied to engines
30 - Extraordinary success half an hour spent and 2d8 in HP's may be applied to engines

Sam can work for however many hours he wants - the owner will not close the shop. If Sam can repair all the engines in 10 hours, he will recieve double his hourly rate plus 200 credits.

Goals: less than 10h, 81 hp repaired
Rolled 1d20+17 : 3 + 17, total 20 -->success, 1d8 = 5hp, 1.0h elapsed, 5 hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 16 + 17, total 33 -->extraordinary, 2d8 = 10hp, 1.5h elapsed, 15hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 10 + 17, total 27 -->superior, 2d6 = 9 hp, 2.5h elapsed, 24hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 15 + 17, total 32 -->extraordinary, 2d8 = 11hp, 3.0h elapsed, 35hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 7 + 17, total 24 -->success, 1d8 = 3hp, 4.0h elapsed, 38hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 19 + 17, total 36 -->extraordinary, 2d8 = 5hp, 4.5h elapsed, 43hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 4 + 17, total 21 -->success, 1d8 = 8hp, 5.5h elapsed, 51hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 8 + 17, total 25 -->superior, 2d6 = 7 hp, 6.5h elapsed, 58hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 6 + 17, total 23 -->success, 1d8 = 2hp, 7.5h elapsed, 60hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 16 + 17, total 33 -->extraordinary, 2d8 = 12hp, 8.0h elapsed, 72hp

+ 2 more rolls
Rolled 1d20+17 : 10 + 17, total 27 -->superior, 2d6 = 7 hp, 9.0h elapsed, 79hp
Rolled 1d20+17 : 12 + 17, total 29 -->superior, 2d6 = 9 hp, 10.0h elapsed, 88hp  ;D keener

Sam finished under the time limit and made sure his station was spotless and ran many iterations on the most efficient tool storage placements. It felt good to work with his manipulators again. Honest work.

tomcat

Oct 14, 2010, 05:25 PM #32 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 05:31 PM by tomcat
:ooc: I am not trying to force a plot here, but posting is scant for my games - Don and I are keeping things going. Anyway, I am going to RP a couple characters here to move on the game. As usual, if I take your PC in a direction that you would not prefer, let me know.

In the end, for Caden, it came down to money. Honor and scruples be damned! With the recent battles his ship had been through and those likely to come, it would soon be a situation where the Aegis would need repairs - real repairs, and that cost real money.

He eyed the toydarian. The run was easy. Yea, he would be taking some off the beaten tracks to avoid any Imperial interests, but they should be okay. It should be quick. Still, the price wasn't enough and he figured if he was going to be putting his feet into this world, he needed to make the appropriate demands. "8,000 credits? Are you crazy? I'll do it for 12, and I want half down as a guarantee of payment."

Caden did not smile as the trader became flustered. "Wha?? 12,000 credits? It is you who are the one who is crazy. Go then."

"Look... you want the shipment to get through, right? Who are you going to trust more? Some fat merchant ship that pirates will take a bite out of the first chance they get, or my ship? It's fast and well armed. I may not have a big cargo cap, but I can protect the merchandise I move!" The Bestinian stared at the trader, who rubbed his three-fingered hand on his bristley chin.

"10," was the new offered price. "And I will give you 3,000 down."

Caden smiled to himself, "Done. We are in docking bay 12D. Move the merchandise to us and my crew will commence loading."

There was a nod of the head, and Caden was done here. He figured he would take the rest of the afternoon to relax. There were stormies on this station, but for the most part, it seemed they finally had found a place to disappear. Not far from him, watching as he exited the bay, Kara smiled to herself. She heard the wheeling and dealing and thought that Caden just moved up a notch on her belt.

Sam finished his work well after most other businesses had closed. He shoved the last sub-light drive back into its storage bay, the massive engine suspended by huge chains that were attached to the ceiling via a roller. It was so well balanced and lubricated that one person could easily turn, and push the starship engines about. The chains rattled and the ball bearings that allowed it to roll down the ceiling track squeeked, but the engine was diagnosed, repaired and now put away. In fact, this was number ten.

The shop owner came out of his office, rubbing a towel over his sweaty, balding head. He smiled at Sam, "You do good work." The tech gestured to the datapad in his hand that showed ten bays full with positive readings from the engines. "Come on in and get your pay."

Sam followed him into the office and reached inside his storage compartment, bringing out his credit chip. The shop owner slid it into a register and pushed a couple buttons. "Okay... that is ten hours at 60 creds per hour... and the bonus I promised." The droid's credit chip slid out of the machine with an 800 credit balance. "If you are here for long, let me know... I can use you for more work."

The crew of the Aegis all were back on board by the end of the Jovan day. All were tired from their activities and the stress that each held within. Tomorrow was the day that they hoped something would happen. Hopefully they might soon have answers and maybe even liberation. The ship was secured for the night and everyone bedded down.

In the morning, they awoke to Sam activating the holonet transceiver and running a playback - "Dan... hadn't heard from you. I hope you didn't have to leave Jovan already. I will be dockside by noon and would love to meet for lunch at the Zilla Café. It is a nice little place in the Resorts that won't break our wallet. I will be there no matter what, so show up if you don't hear from me. It'll be great to see you!"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Oct 14, 2010, 05:40 PM #33 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 05:43 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: tomcat on Oct 12, 2010, 01:22 PM
"All right... let's see.... I have a total of 20 tons and you can handle 25." The toydarian tapped his clawed finger on the counter. "I will give you 400 credits per ton payable to your account upon delivery. Understand that that amount is for no loss or discovery." The trader lifted an eyebrow and eyed Caden.

This was it. He was about to immerse himself in contraband.... illegal activities. Was it worth 8,000 credits? He wished Kex were here to help him with the decisions.

"Your cargo's safe with me," Caden said with a smirk that covered more than it revealed. "But... making sure I'm delivering 20 tons, undiscovered? That can be arranged - but it's not easy."

Caden sidled up to the Toydarian, trying hard to not to wrinkle his nose at the smell, and spoke in a friendly tone.
"I'll make that happen, and I won't insult you by trying to raise the price - but I need 4,000 of those credits up front. You can pay me the other half on delivery."

He put his arm around the Toydarian's shoulder in a conspiratorial fashion. Caden wanted him to know that he knew what they were really doing.
"And then you'll never have to see me again - just two gentlemen conducting private business."

:ooc: Ha! Looks like you and I were writing our posts at the exact same time - but you beat me to the button.

That said, the deal you posted is better - guess I'm not good at haggling. ;)
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: The cool thing Shawn is that it came down to dice rolls! No Narrator taking priveleges here. Anyway, I like your post, too, and I will incorporate both into the chapter PDF compilation.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

watanabe

:ooc: that's pretty cool!

tomcat

Oct 16, 2010, 10:41 AM #36 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010, 10:44 AM by tomcat
Sallo checked the time. It was almost noon.

His ship, the Talon, had come to rest the evening before in docking port 21A. The bounty hunter logged into the holonet, and the Jovan communication net, and let his computer collect data. He then had bedded down, deciding to continue his search in the morning.

When he woke, he donned his armor and prepared his gear. Once done, Sallo went to the computer console to see if any information had been found with his key word searches. There was a little, but nothing pertinent to the now and nothing directly on the Jovan net. He shook his head to see that information on ship manifests was either confidential, or to general to go into great details. No Loronar explorers were listed publicly as being docked here, along with no ship names of the Aegis. The latter did not surprise him - he would have lost any form of respect for the ship's captain if he had been foolish enough not to change the ship's name.

Due to the massive metal structure of Jovan, and its intricate communications net, the whole mass blurred out the transponder signal that he had placed on the Aegis. So that was no longer an option to find them either, save to tell him that the Loronar had not left the station.

Now Corbin moved through the busy passages of Jovan's docks, going from one port to the next, trying to physically find which berth held the Aegis. He looked over his head and saw the port ID number - 11A-T. It was getting tiring and time consuming. There had to be a better way. The bounty hunter realized he still had another 10 ports with 20 berths each to go!

The companions studied the building that flashed the sign Zilla's Cafe. It was a quiet little restaurant, non-pretentious, and easily affordable to most ilk that might live, or travel through, Jovan. It was one of the places that they had passed the night before but had given little heed too, due to its simple style. Zilla's was quaint and open with a patio area for eating outside, and large windows that opened into the restaurant itself. This made for a bright room. The atmosphere within the restaurant was not flashy, but neither did it accommodate the quiet group looking to go unnoticed.

The hour was fast approaching noon. They either needed to break from their discreet location across the street and enter the restaurant, or forget it all and go. In either case, the ultimate uncertainty still lay within the message - was it even meant for them?

:ooc: Would love to know what you guys wanna do. I feel like I am steering the show. Character interaction would help, too.

donimator

Sam said he would keep watch from a nearby restaurant. If they were being followed, he would stick out like a sore thumb. If anyone tried to take him out...well he configured his backup up processor to ping a message to Caden should his main power cut out. He would watch the entrance for anything suspicious.

sdrotar

Oct 18, 2010, 01:28 PM #38 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2010, 12:22 AM by sdrotar
"Well, we might as well see who was waiting for Dan," Caden offered. At the very least, he could break the news of Qinos' death and offer to continue his work, which may endear them to... whomever this was.

He wanted to talk to Senator Organa soon, but perhaps finding out what they could here might make that meeting even more productive.

"Let's be smart here," he suggested, knowing that Sam had his back from across the street. "When I picked up Dan, only Kex and Sam were with me, and now Kex is gone, too."
He said the latter with a tinge of sadness, but he knew this wasn't the time, lest he join his departed friend. He had to stay focused.

"It's possible that whoever this is will know who I am, then, and not get spooked off by seeing me. I can meet him 'alone', but anyone who's coming with - I'd sure appreciate a little cover if you don't mind spreading around the cafe to watch all the angles. Figure that the less that contact knows about us, the better position we'll be in."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Jingo

"Agreed," Kaida nodded to Caden. It was a good plan. "I'll go in with you, but will sit at a different table, keeping an eye out. If anything happens I'll be there to watch your back. I'll get a table where I can both watch you and the entrance and windows."

:ooc: Kaida will wait five minutes and then go in. She'll find Caden's position and then request a table that put her in view of the entrance / windows but also provides overwatch of Caden. She'll do a Persuade if needed to request the appropriate table. 

Rolled 1d20+15 : 14 + 15, total 29

Jingo

:ooc: My previous roll was Kaida's Persuade skill check btw.

watanabe

:ooc:

Kara would like to go clothes shopping and see if she can buy a cloak quickly.  ;D

tomcat

:ooc: If Kara wants/needs to, she has had the time to put that into her travels. Just erase the required cost of a cloak + 15% out of her credits please.

watanabe

:ooc:

In stupidity, I realize I actually have an all-temp cloak.  I'll go ahead and put that on instead of shopping.  ;D

ZehnWaters

Oct 19, 2010, 12:22 PM #44 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2010, 12:24 PM by ZehnWaters
"I'll take a spot over by the bar, looking like I'm getting a drink," Britton volunteered.