• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 07:49 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The skies of Bespin - round 3

Started by tomcat, Jul 21, 2010, 04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 21, 2010, 04:49 PM Last Edit: Jul 21, 2010, 05:14 PM by tomcat
Situation: The Aegis has launched from the landing pad and is racing for orbit to make the jump to lightspeed - there are a total of 3 wings of two fighters vectoring towards the escaping explorer. Due to the Empire only being a few years old, the Venator star destroyer is of the Clone Wars hardware, so it does not have a full complement of new fighters. There are inbound two Eta-2's, 2 V-wing's and two TIE/In fighters at different distances away. The Eta's will appear on the map marked A in round 10; the V-wings will arrive in round 5 at B, and the TIE's are already in close enought range.

The Aegis needs 10 rounds to calculate the jump to lightspeed. Due to the age of the data the astrogation test will be DC 20, but the ship's navicomputer will extend a +5, and may be conducted at the end of round 10 (no other actions can be taken by the PC conducting the calculations during the 10 rounds). If test is failed, you may attempt it again to discover the error, and then the whole process must begin again. If failed twice... well, the ship jumps and I tell you what happens!  >:D

Situational Modifiers: The Aegis has its new jamming suite that can blind enemy sensors; its jamming is limited to a single target within 6 squares, selected as a Swift action, and causes a -4 penalty to starfighters (-2 to transports); it may be opposed. Also, the Aegis now has it combat thrusters which make it one size smaller when attacked by enemies, and it may engage, or be engaged in dogfights.

Initiative will be conducted by ship, meaning all PC's can act on the ship's initiative. Each character may take a part in the ship's activities - Kara is piloting, whoever has best Use Computer for plotting course (Caden or Brim?), need two gunners to fire both guns (Britton and Kaida?), and someone could operate the jammer (Sam).

Physical Modifiers: The massive planet Bespin is nothing more than a ball of gas. If desired, ships may fly deeper into the planet's cloud cover to hide, but they do risk the effects of the corrosive tibanna gas, as well as being dragged into the planets gravity well. A ship that stays in the gas will be effected incrementally by 5% of its hit points per round (5% round 1, 10% round 2, etc.) The gas ignores SR but not DR. Also, for each round spent lower in Bespin's clouds will require increasing Pilot tests by +2, starting at DC 12, to keep from losing position. If a Pilot test is failed by more than 10, the ship will be trapped in the planet's gravitational pull.

TIE 1 is jammed -4. TIE 2 is destroyed.

Initiative:
Eta-2's (+18) - Rolled 1d20+18 : 18 + 18, total 36
V-wings (+8) - Rolled 1d20+8 : 14 + 8, total 22
TIE fighters (+8) - Rolled 1d20+8 : 8 + 8, total 16
Aegis (+5*) - Rolled 1d20+5 : 4 + 5, total 9
*Kara's Pilot skill minus the Ship's size mod
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

donimator

One down. Sam kept up the jamming as he tracked the other ships that seemed to be vectoring towards them. Britton had the hot hand so he continued to enhance his gunnery controls to compensate for the dips and rolls of Kara's piloting (defensive maneuvers, of course!)

Sam's actions, Round 3
(2)Swift** - Recover action(s) (2 of 3, to improve condition track)
Standard - Aid Another (Attack Roll - Britton)
Sensor Operator - Use Computer DC 10
Sam - Use Computer +9,-1 condition track
Rolled 1d20+8 : 12 + 8, total 20

:ooc: ** is a Swift action required to maintain the jammer lock, or it good until target destroyed or jammer retargeted?

tomcat

:ooc: As I am finding wtih a lot of SE rules, there is no definitive answer on this, Don - per the books. So, executive decision here... Sam will only need make a jamming action if the pilot of the enemy vessel makes a successful opposed reaction test.

I will allow the enemy to check every round as a reaction until the clear up the white noise, and the DC number will be the Use Computer roll that Sam made when he started the jamming.

One other point, jamming will only work on vessels within 6 squares of the Aegis - so in Round 1, there was no benefit even though you had been successful.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

watanabe

Kara knew they needed to gain some altitude, she grinned at herself as she grabbed the yoke and pulled hard to send the ship up.  She pulled hard and felt the ship began to rise hard.

:ooc:

Use the ship's movement to go UP UP UP!

donimator

Quote from: watanabe on Jul 22, 2010, 06:21 AM
...She pulled hard and felt the ship began to rise hard.

:ooc: Starting to sound like a curling match!...yes, I'm Canadian.

tomcat

Jul 22, 2010, 06:46 AM #5 Last Edit: Jul 22, 2010, 06:51 AM by tomcat
Seeing his companion disappear in a ball of flame, the remaining TIE pilot yanked his fighter into a defensive spiral, giving up altitude for speed, knowing as he did that he would lose any firing accuracy. It was better, though, to be alive than dead and this would buy time for the other fighters to vector in on the fleeing explorer.

The tremendous G's that he pulled were compensated by the ship and his flight suit, but still greyness began to overtake his vision. At the bottom of his spiral, the pilot pulled up on his yoke and recovered both his awareness and his chase on the Aegis. With the tail end of the ship now in his canopy view, the pilot began to do something about the electronic noise that was whiteing out his displays.

TIE 1 will:

Standard action:
Fight defensively - DC to hit the TIE for this round is 25
Reaction:clear jamming
DC 24 Use Computer +6, TIE's Int mod +2, Condition -1
-------------------------
Rolled 1d20+7 : 14 + 7, total 21

Swift action: Rerout power (#3 of 3 from round 2, that was failed, but must be committed)
DC 20 Mechanics +6, TIE's Int mod +2, Condition -1
-------------------------
Rolled 1d20+7 : 11 + 7, total 18

Move action: Close on Aegis

watanabe

Quote from: donimator on Jul 22, 2010, 06:41 AM

HARDER!  HARDER!  STOP!............ clunk!

donimator

Quote from: watanabe on Jul 22, 2010, 10:38 AM

HARDER!  HARDER!  STOP!............ clunk!
:ooc: No, no. It's HURRY HARD! HURRY HARD! OFF! OFF! RIGHT OFF! ...... clunk..clunk..clunk  (triple takeout  ;D)

ZehnWaters

Standard 1-
Rolled 1d20 - 1*: 18 - 1 Total:17
No hit!

Britton aimed and shot, but the TIE was too quick and spun out of the way.

Jingo

"Great shot!" Kara called out to Britton watching the flaming debris of the Tie fighter disappear in the clouds. Then she swiveled hard in her chair and felt her stomach lurch as the ship climbed upwards suddenly in altitude. "C'mon Kara," she called over the comlink as she swiveled hard to compensate. "Can't you take it up a notch? Make it a little harder for us... This is too easy!" She shook her head in frustration, lined up the targeting, and pulled the trigger. The odds were slim that she'd hit anything that small or fast. She'd even bet she'd miss a stinking star destroyer with all this careening about.

:ooc: Standard Action she'll try and shoot. Fat chance though. The DC of the Tie, I'm guessing is probably in the low twenties. She is not proficient in gunner. Add to that the dodging of diving of Kara's flying and well... it's Vegas odds. Here's hoping for a natural 20!

Swift action, Inspire haste on Britton again.
Move action, none.

Here's my shot:
Rolled 1d20+3 : 5 + 3, total 8

This is just my BAB and the roll since I'm not sure what the other modifiers (ship, range, etc) are, I'll let you figure those in.

sdrotar

Caden noticed the TIE explode moments earlier, and listened to Kara, but he was too busy trying to keep his hands on the navicomputer to mention anything. They were doing well so far - better than he had hoped, really - but if he didn't get that course plotted quickly... well, that Star Destroyer had more TIE fighters left - a lot more than they wanted to deal with.

The clicking of keys was all that could be heard from Caden as the ship rocketed away from Bespin, guns blazing.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

BrianM

Brim sat in the cockpit, calming his mind amidst the sounds of the frantic space battle around him ... Caden struggling to perform the required calculations for their escape, Kara deftly guiding the ship through the maelstrom while the engines thrummed in response, the pounding of the cannons from further back in the ship.

He had placed his trust in all of them, but there must be some way he could help ...

Going to try a Search your Feelings test to see if the intended escape route is a good choice or not.

Rolled 1d20+2 : 2 + 2, total 4

BrianM

Jul 27, 2010, 05:53 PM #12 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010, 05:59 PM by BrianM
 :ooc: *sigh* I knew this would happen, when I did a preview of my post, the roll was a 16.

BrianM

Jul 27, 2010, 05:56 PM #13 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010, 05:58 PM by BrianM

:ooc: Hey cool Donimator ... where are you from? I live in Burnaby, like it says in my sig. And I totally enjoyed the Olympic curling tournament from up close (except I couldn't actually get tickets :()

ZehnWaters

Standard Action 2
14-1 Total:13

The TIE was simply to fast for Brittons shots and again slipped out of the way.