• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 10:27 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Mansion attack - round 8

Started by tomcat, Oct 10, 2009, 04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Situation: Ranie's mansion is attacked. Caden and Sam are hovering over the drive, as the villains and now the heroes are leaving the mansion (Last round before the building slides over the cliff - the Aegis' laser cannon caused the house to shift more).

Situational Modifiers: none.

Physical Modifiers: It is night time and -2 darkness penalty applies for all actions (n/a for Med Facility) unless the PC has special ability/equipment (troopers have low-light vision headgear); any map corner that represents a wall may be used as cover; furnishings will offer limited cover based on the weapon

Initiative:
Shade (+13) 28
Sam (+5) 22
Brim (+6-1) 20
Kara (+5) 18
Hacks (+6-1) 16
Britton (+9-1) 11
Caden (+4) 10

Caden watched in horror as the oceanside of Ranie's mansion crumpled down, and the side facing him upended. In the house, it was more terrifying with horrendous tearing noises and shaking floors.

Britton watched as the exit literally lifted into the air and saw the floor crack around him. Water and electricty began to spray and spark causing intermittent, blinding flashes. There was also the sound of screams coming from those still in the house, but to scared and confused from all of the blaster fire and explosions.

Rand needed to decide what to do... jump to the door and escape, or try to rescue any few he could before the house tumbled into the sea.

From Brim's position, he watched one of their attackers move left from the door and make his way into the foliage. The wrenching sound of the house leaving its foundation made the trooper scury a bit faster.

Kara still stood in the hallway confused by the noises and her drugged stupor. She felt the house buckle and slide...

Sam used the ship's sensors to scan the area. He tracked in on Brim, but quickly eliminated the Rodian as a targer. He still could not find the dark sider, but he did have movement on the mansion's north side - someone running. He aimed in the turrets reticule to try and get visual on whether it was a good guy or a bad guy.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Oct 11, 2009, 08:46 AM #1 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2009, 04:36 PM by tomcat
Sam's reaction roll to determine if he sees Hacks leave building
DC 30 Perception +11, Distance -15, Equipment +5
-------------------------
Roll(1d20)+1: 7,+1 Total:8 FAILED

Sam delays any other actions

Seeing no apparent threats on the ground, Sam eased off the trigger. He turned his attention to the ship's sensors to maintain a vigil in case new danger appeared. All the while, Caden began the process of bringing the ship down on the driveway. There would be survivors in need of help, he was sure.

The shadow, now well out of danger and still draped in his haze, moved towards the exit of Ranie's compound. The darksider would grab the equipment Hacks had used to hack the senator's security, just in case the other clone did not survive. It would only take a word in the right ear to make this thing a terrible murder done by pirates... after all, the Aegis was hovering over the grounds and firing its weapons. To more substantiate the evidence, Shade drew forth his camera and took a series of pictures of the Loronar-class ship hanging over Ranie's ruined mansion.

He had successfully removed Ranie as another threat to Varta's operation on Bakura, and soon he would have the Empire and every bounty hunter he knew hunting down the assassins that had performed this atrocious act.

The Shade smiled as he continued his path out.

:ooc: I need Brim and Britton's actions (not sure Nick is playing anymore), and then I will start the new round. Unless he is seen (DC 30 - stealth result from last round) and attacked, Hacks is running.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

ZehnWaters

Oct 12, 2009, 06:07 AM #2 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2009, 05:31 AM by ZehnWaters
Britton stood for a split second frozen in indecision.  His opponent was getting away!  He couldn't overlook what the villain had done to him or everyone else.  At the same time he couldn't abandon those he'd sworn to protect.  Realizing however that there was no possible way to save them, Britton gave them a sorry look then leapt from the building.

tomcat

:ooc: Map is attached... keep in mind, this is the last round that the house will be attached to the cliff. Next round next stop is the ocean below.

ZehnWaters

:ooc: So there's just R, S & S?  What kind of test do I need to make to help them?

watanabe

Kara felt her whole world shift and move and knew it wasn't just the drugs, but something wrong with the building.  She ran towards the nearest exit as fast as she could...

tomcat

Oct 13, 2009, 04:26 PM #6 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2009, 04:30 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Well, we might assume that there are others trying to bail out of the house in other locations, or even trying to get up/down the stairs from the upper/sub-levels - but I am not going to worry about that.

'R' is Ranie, and the two 'S' are security personnel.

Now, what kind of tests... not sure there is anything you could do for them. If you use a Full-round action you can run up to 4 times your speed in a straight line, but that doesn't help you because its in the wrong direction. Even if I allow you to get three times your speed, there and back out, 18 squares leaves you right at the entrance. The problem, too, is that Ranie and his guards have been knocked down - they will need to use one Move action to stand, thus leaving them no way of running as a Full-round action.

If you have rope, I will allow a toss of rope to the senator to see if he can grab it and hang on. I will also do this - a sacrifice of his personnel to aid him (via Acrobatics rolls and Aid Another). If both guards can make their Acrobatic rolls (soon to be posted below), I will allow Ranie a Dexterity roll with a +4 from Aid another (the two guards) to make a run attempt to you. You will then have to carry him out - DC numbers will be listed below, depending on how everyone does.

Security personnel's Acrobatic attempts to stand and Aid Ranie
DC 20 Acrobatics +10
Roll(1d20)+10: 9,+10 Total:19 FAILED [not giving basic NPC's Force Points, nor allowing a Take 10 on this]
Roll(1d20)+10: 3,+10 Total:13 FAILED

Well... with those rolls, short of Britton also sacrificing himself, there is no way to get to Ranie. All your PC can really do is jump out of the building, or go down with the ship.

I am open to hearing ideas from you... if I like them, I will give you the chance - but understand that failure will mean that Britton is trapped in the house going over the cliff.

tomcat

Oct 13, 2009, 04:37 PM #7 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2009, 03:54 AM by tomcat
The door burst open for Kara and she fell almost five feet, hitting the ground hard. Looking back, she saw how the house was upended and beginning to slide off the face of the cliff. Above her, Kara saw the large freighter starting its own descent.

watanabe

Oct 13, 2009, 08:31 PM #8 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2009, 08:33 PM by watanabe
Kara pulled her blaster out and set it to stun and tried to move away from the house, but into cover where she could get her bearings about what was going on.

"Fracking hell,"
she told herself.  "You need to get off these deathsticks.  First thing you get chased through a market, second you get the only people who have trusted you, third... well... third a damn house is falling off the side of the cliff, people are shooting and you have no idea what is going on."

BrianM

Oct 14, 2009, 09:21 AM #9 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2009, 10:00 AM by BrianM
Perception roll (to spot Hacks in the trees) vs DC 30:
Roll(1d20)+8: 14,+8 Total:22 FAILURE

From his vantage point near the edge of the trees, Brim spotted the other attacker leaving the front entrance, but he lost sight of him as soon as he entered the trees, heading away from the mansion.

The terrible rending noises brought the Rodian's attention back to the house, and he stood, helplessly watching as it dropped towards the ocean below, and knowing that there were still people trapped inside.

:ooc: I'm not sure there is much else Brim can do. If he sees anyone else emerge from the collapsing house he will run to help them.

:ooc: Sorry for the delay ... just got back last night from visiting family in Ontario. I logged in once while there but not over the past weekend (Thanksgiving here in Canada).

ZehnWaters

Oct 14, 2009, 03:18 PM #10 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2009, 03:26 PM by ZehnWaters
Quote from: tomcat on Oct 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
:ooc: Well, we might assume that there are others trying to bail out of the house in other locations, or even trying to get up/down the stairs from the upper/sub-levels - but I am not going to worry about that.

'R' is Ranie, and the two 'S' are security personnel.

Now, what kind of tests... not sure there is anything you could do for them. If you use a Full-round action you can run up to 4 times your speed in a straight line, but that doesn't help you because its in the wrong direction. Even if I allow you to get three times your speed, there and back out, 18 squares leaves you right at the entrance. The problem, too, is that Ranie and his guards have been knocked down - they will need to use one Move action to stand, thus leaving them no way of running as a Full-round action.

If you have rope, I will allow a toss of rope to the senator to see if he can grab it and hang on. I will also do this - a sacrifice of his personnel to aid him (via Acrobatics rolls and Aid Another). If both guards can make their Acrobatic rolls (soon to be posted below), I will allow Ranie a Dexterity roll with a +4 from Aid another (the two guards) to make a run attempt to you. You will then have to carry him out - DC numbers will be listed below, depending on how everyone does.

Security personnel's Acrobatic attempts to stand and Aid Ranie
DC 20 Acrobatics +10
Roll(1d20)+10: 9,+10 Total:19 FAILED [not giving basic NPC's Force Points, nor allowing a Take 10 on this]
Roll(1d20)+10: 3,+10 Total:13 FAILED

Well... with those rolls, short of Britton also sacrificing himself, there is no way to get to Ranie. All your PC can really do is jump out of the building, or go down with the ship.

I am open to hearing ideas from you... if I like them, I will give you the chance - but understand that failure will mean that Britton is trapped in the house going over the cliff.

Is there any way to delay my action until they get to me and THEN help carry him out?

tomcat

:ooc: No... the only way he could have moved more than 6 squares was to be able to Run, which requires a full-round action. Because they were prone, they would need to use a Move action to get up. I gave the security personnel a chance to 'provide' that move action for Ranie and it didn't work. So, he gets up and moves six squares, which is not enough to get out. IF you go to get him, you will not have enough moves to get out (burden will slow you down). So, it is either martyr Britton and try, or get him out and deal with the consequences... remember too, some stuff is meant to happen for story plot.  ;)

ZehnWaters

:ooc:Fine.  I've changed my post.