• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 06:59 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Swords for hire

Started by tomcat, Sep 23, 2009, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Sep 23, 2009, 07:41 PM Last Edit: Sep 27, 2009, 07:59 AM by tomcat
Orodreth looked impatiently at the old man that sat across from him, within his office. He was grey bearded and held a clay pipe close to his lips, as rings of smoke chased one another from his mouth. The Stewards impatience took the better of him and he asked again, more abruptly, "Gandalf... what say you?"

The old wizard was thoughtful for a moment then spoke, "I say a house at odds cannot stand. Argeleb's nobles vie for one anothers stations and lands? It is a harbinger for all the Dúnedain, as well as the kingdom. It is this very thing that broke Elendil's house those many years past, and now only a remnance of the Men of Westernesse's acheivements remain. I say that you have a conflict to quell lest it grows to great in scale, and if you cannot compel judgement, then you must call for the King."

Orodreth knew where the King was wintering, at least the lands where he was refuged, but the magical mazes of the lands of the Eldar even he could not navigate. If he were to contact Argeleb, he would need the wizard's aid. It was plain to him that Methilir had orchestrated the challenges that now faced him - even the slaying of his own brother, but the evidence did not lend itself to allow Durgil his freedom. Proof must be found and the Steward needed it before the northern counties of the kingdom erupted into civil war. For Orodreth knew that even now, the companions of Durgil raced back north - heroes of the realm, and now Knights of the King. He did not doubt that Dirnhael could muster many to his banner if conflict erupted, and then what? What would the already weakened nation do, with its people fighting each other, all the while a foe on its northern border waited for a moment such as this to strike. Could it be Angmar's chance for a killing blow?

"I say this," said Orodreth. "Gandalf I ask of you to please take this message to Argeleb and bid him return to his throne. His people will need him in the short days to come. Whil'st you run that errand, I will call for Camentir to return from the northern frontier... hopefully he, and his soldiers, will be able to calm the storm that approaches before it bursts upon us and there is a new killing of kin!"

Gandalf nodded, "Yes, a wise decision. I shall go."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Oct 17, 2009, 06:50 PM #1 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2009, 06:58 PM by tomcat
Arandil, or such as the name that he currently went by, looked at the group before him. There were ten men - each of varying size and strength, but all warriors. They were northmen. Not men of Arthedain, or at least not of Dúnedain blood, nor part of the Eriadorian folk that resided alongside them. These men were from the uncivilized northern and eastern frontiers who on occassions wandered through the kingdon of Arthedain, and they were perfect for the task at hand.

The assassin reached into his coin purse and drew forth the money that would buy these men to his will. He placed a few of the silver coins in each of the outreached hands in front of him and then spoke, "You will find them on the road north to Dorthad. They left but a few hours ago, and so haste is important. But I do not want you to make your attack until they are a good distance from and potential help from Fornost. Is that clear?"

With ten nods, Arandil was content. He had done his part for Methilir and now he could claim his own reward and be off from these lands. Maybe he would take up the journey to Gondor in the south - surely the weather would be more accomodating then the bitter northern cold. He mounted his horse and bid the mercenaries goodbye. He did not care if they succeeded or not, it was not his concern. He had unleashed the dogs... it would be for Methilir to deal with what were to come of it. Arandil spurred his mount north, towards his benefactor's home.

Dirnhael and his two companions rode north at a good clip. The Dúnadan wished to make the journey as quickly as possible, and there were a good number of miles ahead of them. Fengel, too, was filled with some apprehensions. He remembered the conversations he had had with Gléowyn and how he had assured her the lands of his friends were more civilized, and that she would be safer. Now he wondered if he had advised her properly. He thought back to the atrocities done upon his sister by the Easterling and he knew that if this Dúnadan noble harmed his sister in any way, he too would fall at the tip of Fengel's sword.

The lands around them became more pastoral and snow blanketed all. It had the effect of hushing the sounds around them, even the clop of the horses' hooves. The sky overhead was still grey with clouds and threatened more snowfall. Dirnhael had no wish to stop to rest, but they would not be able to make the trip in one day's ride, it would take at least four days, and so they looked for a good location to stop and set camp.

Once found, they built a fire and tried to make themselves as comfortable as they could. At least the next day's ride would take them through a small village that would have an inn. There was a little talk but the men made their way to their blankets soon after they had taken some food.

And so the night passed.

Come the morning they readied themselves to move on, when Pethron caught sight of horsemen sitting on the road a ways away from where the Company camped. There were five of them and they were not moving - more so they sat on their mounts and watched the trio as they prepared to move.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

"Not as subtle as Methilir's last plan," Dirnhael growled.

Then again, he realized that just because five men were on the road, it didn't mean that was all of them; their enemy didn't have any honor or respect for the warrior's code. It mattered little to Dirnhael; whether these men were respectful or not, he was going through them.

:ooc: As they close, Dirnhael will want to scan the periphery of the road for potential ambushers. If he sees none, he will attempt to Intimidate the men on the road and get them to yield the path.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

"No it isn't, but this does give us some leave to release a little tension."  Fengel smiled, as he slid his arm into his shield and loosed his spear.

:ooc: Fengel too scans the scene for an ambush.

BrianM

Oct 21, 2009, 09:21 AM #4 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009, 09:22 AM by BrianM
Pethron looked worried, and his hand went to the hilt of his sword to loosen it in the scabbard. While he had experience with the blade, he was no warrior like the other two. They needed to get to the north, however, and the scribe refused to believe that fate would have them fall here on this road.

This was an obvious ploy of Methilir to halt their journey. And their enemy by his nature would have ensured they were well outnumbered. Like his comrades, Pethron scanned the sides of the road as they moved forward.

tomcat

:ooc: If you guys could please give me Observe (Spot) tests to determine if you see any kind of threat. The TN has been set by the opposed Stealth rolls I made, but will remain secret for the moment.  ;)

I will be opening a round 1 combat thread tonight.

Thanks.

BrianM

Oct 27, 2009, 02:48 PM #6 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2009, 04:26 PM by tomcat
Pethron - Observe (Spot) +8
Roll(2d6)+8: 4,6,+8 Total:18
+2 for specialty = 20

Pethron scanned the scrub to either side of the trail, looking for any hidden attackers. He recalled the small shield he had packed in his bag. The scribe reached back to retrieve it and attach it to his arm. He fumbled with the straps, but did his best to hide this from the others. Pethron's survival likely depended upon not being a distraction to his friends.

Palandil

Observe(spot)+6
Roll(2d6)+6:3,6,+6 Total:15

tomcat

Oct 28, 2009, 06:07 PM #8 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2009, 06:14 PM by tomcat
:ooc: The company members see movement in the treeline to either side of the road on which the five warriors sit.

Pethron and Fengel saw shapes moving in the treeline flanking both sides of the road. So, it was more of an ambush than what was before them. Still, the two followed Dirnhael forward towards the main group that blocked their path north.

sdrotar

:ooc: I've held this thread up (sorry!) and since the other two see movement, I'll just assume it's been pointed out, OK?

"Ten?" Dirnhael was concerned. Pethron had not truly been tested in battle with them, and they were badly outnumbered, even though Methilir had probably hired little more than rabble.

It was clear, however, that negotiation would serve no purpose - they were being led to slaughter, and Dirnhael saw no reason why they should continue to play along.

The way he saw it, they had few options. First, they could charge the main group on the road, causing chaos and making it difficult for what he assumed were archers to draw a bead on them. This would give them the opportunity to stay together, where he liked their immediate chances - but it was also likely that their enemies planned for that skirmish as the most likely scenario.
Second, they could split up and ride into the woods, surprising their would-be ambushers and putting them at a disadvantage, and then force the main group to come and find them in the woods, where they'd likely have to separate. But that would involve risk of its own - Dirnhael would go right and take on the three woodsmen, with the hope that Fengel and Pethron could finish off the others and fight their way to him from the flank.
Third, they could all quickly turn to one side, likely the right, and take on their ambushers, and then make a stand in the woods, forcing their attackers to come to them. This also offered the possibility of escape through the forest.

Quickly, Dirnhael whispered his thoughts to his friends as they rode cautiously towards the roadblock.

tomcat

:ooc: I am still in the dark as to what you guys are doing so, I will wait for more posts to clarify before I open the combat threads.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 31, 2009, 11:33 AM
:ooc: I am still in the dark as to what you guys are doing so, I will wait for more posts to clarify before I open the combat threads.

:ooc: Thanks. I didn't want to make a decision for the group since this looks to be a rather risky encounter, so I threw out some options so we can agree on a course of action first.

tomcat

:ooc: Sounds like a wise plan.  ;)

I will wait to see what the company's final decision is and then I will open the combat rounds.

BrianM

Pethron was not much of a strategist, but he thought the cover of the woods would help them against the larger group of enemies. And Elbereth help him if he were to become separated from the others!

"I think your last plan seems best, Dirnhael. We quickly finish off the ambushers on the right and make our stand within the trees."

Palandil

Fengel nodded his agreement with the plan of action, and switched from spear to sword.