• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 03:52 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Plots

Started by tomcat, May 12, 2009, 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianM

:ooc:

Holy smokes! This is quite the plot twist!

Side question: How much experience and knowledge of the law would Pethron have? I'm not exactly sure which lore category this would fall under. He will obviously want to bring any lore he might possess to his friend's aid.

I also just wanted to let everyone know I am currently away from home on vacation, and online access is proving a bit more difficult to find than I thought it would. As a result I may not get a chance to respond until I return home this coming weekend.

Cheers,
Brian

tomcat

:ooc: I will get back to you on the Lore specialty I will require, Brian. I need to get to my books.

Anyway, I hope you like the plot twist!  ;) This was what was going to happen, it was just taking some time getting there because of game slow downs, the slow pace of PbP RP'ing, and hoping you guys did not go in an entirely different direction. With Matt leaving the games for now, I figured it'd be best if I just cut to the chase.

In any case, as you can see, Methilir has been taking his time doing some plotting.  >:D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Aug 13, 2009, 01:17 PM #32 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 01:10 PM by sdrotar
 :ooc: Holy cow, this is great stuff!

Dirnhael looked around him, hoping to notice quick movement; an assailant fleeing the scene of the crime.
He knew that Durgil was capable of violence, but he was no murderer - this was an obvious ploy by Methilir, who desperately wanted Durgil's lands for his own.

The only problem was that it was obvious to only a few. To the citizenry in Fornost, his friend now appeared to be a murderer, and on the surface, it seemed impossible to prove otherwise.

Before, Dirnhael considered Methilir a foppish schemer, but now, after the man apparently had his own brother murdered, it was clear that Methilir was much more than that. And now, he had Durgil out of the way... and in Dorthad... his thoughts ran to Ioreth. What would become of her? Might Methilir no longer need her - or Gleowyn - alive at all anymore?

One thing was clear: as much as it pained him, they could not find themselves entangled in this web, or there would be no stopping Methilir. The Steward seemed to understand what was truly going on, and he was no insignificant ally. They had to bide their time. Durgil would understand.

"We cannot help him now," Dirnhael whispered to Fengel and Pethron. "Remain calm, and when the questioners come, answer them truthfully and make no accusations."

He paused. Though the constabulary would have no reason to arrest them, under most traditional circumstances, one of those circumstances had changed with the revelation of their enemy as someone far more formidable then he appeared.

"Methilir will come for us next. Be wary."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

BrianM

Pethron stood with Dirnhael and Fengel, the scene on the street playing out before them. The shock was evident on his face as understanding dawned. Turning to the others, the scribe stammered "How could he do something like this? His own brother. Laying the blame on an innocent man."

As Pethron put the pieces together in his mind, he realized that the implications of Methilir's treachery were far reaching. Had the people of Arnor fallen to such depths? In their many talks, Pethron's master had hinted that this war went far beyond the struggle with the Witch-King, and the scribe now saw that it would also be fought within Arnor's own borders, amongst those who were supposedly brethren. If the internal struggle escalated among the nobility, surely Arnor would fall and all would be lost.

Pethron looked afraid. "W-what shall we do?"

sdrotar

Aug 19, 2009, 01:08 PM #34 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 01:12 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: BrianM on Aug 19, 2009, 08:46 AM
Pethron looked afraid. "W-what shall we do?"

"We have done nothing wrong; we have nothing to hide. So we shall answer the questions put to us, and then we must get back to Durgil's lands and ensure the safety of the ladies and others that dwell there."

Dirnhael's face tightened, his eyes narrowed to slits as he scanned the gathering crowd.

"Then we find Methilir," he hissed. "Or let him find us."

tomcat

:ooc: This game has finally gotten the wind back in its sails! Sorry for the recent slowness. As I said in the General Forum, there will be a new post tonight for all of my games. Gotta feed the wife first - it is her birthday.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 19, 2009, 01:12 PM
:ooc: This game has finally gotten the wind back in its sails! Sorry for the recent slowness. As I said in the General Forum, there will be a new post tonight for all of my games. Gotta feed the wife first - it is her birthday.

:ooc: No kidding it has - what an exciting new wrinkle! Tell your wife "happy birthday" from your dorky RPG friends. She must be a very tolerant woman indeed! ;)

tomcat

From their vantage, the trio watched as three more sentries came to the murder scene and Durgil was taken into custody, regardless of the noble's pleadings of innocence. Dirnhael stood there, all the while his fists clenched in inaction, and he saw his friend finally turn. The Dúnadan could see the look in Durgil's eyes - it was a look of resolve, one that urged resolution in a war that had just begun. It also expressed a worry, and Dirnhael knew it was a brother's concern for his sister.

With nothing more to do here, Dirnhael turned and led his companions away. They would first return to the small apartment and wait for the questions that were soon to come, and also for the new day. Once rested, and clear of mind, they would be better able to make the decisions necessary to vindicate their friend and gain his freedom.

There was activity into the late night hours, as officers of the King's court came to question Pethron, and the other two men. Unfortunately, Fengel, Dirnhael and the scribe were little help to Durgil. They saw nothing of the murder of Derufin, only the scuffle that had taken place earlier that day. The evidence was quite damning for the young noble, but there was no hint of conspiracy or inclusion of the other three men.

With his capture, Durgil's property in Fornost was also order seized and closed by the Royal Guard. It was only through a message from Orodreth, himself, that Dirnhael and his friends were able to spend the remainder of the night there, including Durgil's house servants. But even the Steward could not postpone the law for too long, and so with the dawn, the Companions and Geoffrey and his family found themselves in the stable yard, as the small apartment was secured by the King's guards.

A course needed to be decided on.

:ooc: Need a little RP'ing to let me know if you guys want to leave now for Dorthad, or if you wanna try and see Durgil before you go, or what...

Palandil

Fengel could not forget the look of worry Durgil expressed obviously for Ioreth, for he too felt the same for Gleowyn.  And with the morning light Fengel made a proposal to Dirnhael.  "I am riding to Dorthad, I lost my sister once because I was away, and I will not allow it again.  I trust you will follow as soon as you do all you can for Durgil."  He turned to prepare his horse for the journey.

sdrotar

:ooc: Does Dirnhael have enough "pull" to request an informal audience with the Steward? Just to fill him in?

BrianM

Aug 25, 2009, 10:58 AM #40 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2009, 11:01 AM by BrianM
Having recovered his wits somewhat after the initial shock of Durgil's arrest, Pethron spoke to Fengel. "I understand your fears, Fengel, but we must not be too hasty. Our adversary is more sinister than we thought, and his plan may be to divide and weaken us. Let us quickly find out where Durgil will be held and that he will be protected, for he may still be a target. If he dies now after the trap has been triggered, then the courts will have little need for a trial and Methilir will have won. Once his safety is assured, we must all three ride together to Dorthad. Also remember that this must not end with violence. If we seek vengence with the sword, the case against Durgil becomes stronger. We must have proof of Methilir's guilt and bring him to justice."

Palandil

Aug 25, 2009, 11:25 AM #41 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2009, 11:27 AM by Palandil
"It is true that this noblest of nobles is more sinister than we thought, but it seems to me that concern must be made for both Durgil and his sister.  For with Durgil locked away and his companions stuck here trying to bring sense to this lot of nobility, nothing stops the man from forcing his name upon Ioreth.  So we may have a battle upon both fronts.  And since my sister is there, then it is there that I will lend my aid to our dear friend Durgil."  With a polite nod to there new friend, Fengel continued to prepare for the journey.

sdrotar

Dirnhael considered what Pethron and Fengel had said, and had determined that they were both right.
Durgil could still be a target, and the ladies in Dorthad may be at risk as well.

"You may be correct, Pethron," he said, "Methilir may wish to divide us. But I fear we have little choice."
The scribe had not been with the group for long; it was likely that most citizens did not consider him a full-fledged part of Company yet. That might be a significant advantage.

"Pethron, you know the ways of nobility far better than we do. Would you stay here and be certain that Durgil is safe and that matters are proceeding fairly? Any man could use any dagger - what it looks like is irrelevant - and your gift with words may be an ally to Durgil in the face of his accusers."

He looked to Fengel. "We will ride hard back to Dorthad and ensure the safety of the residents, but we must not linger. The ladies of the house must be brought back here, to the relative safety of the city. If Methilir seeks to take Durgil's lands while we are gone, then I shall entreat Camentir himself to help us take them back when this is over."

He looked to both of them with a grim glare.
"Trust nothing but your own eyes; we have no allies save one another."

tomcat

:ooc: Not to guide your story, or to force you down a path, but can we re-consider the idea of leaving Pethron behind to aid with Durgil's detention? Although this was my overall story arc for Matt's character, now that he is not playing him, I do not want to have Durgil as a main character. I will continue to keep him on the periphery, but I prefer the Player Characters not separating into two different story lines.

Again, I do not want to force the story on you - RP'ing is all about you guys making the story happen - but, for the most part, Durgil is not the main story anymore. It now comes to focus on the women and the lands that are being siezed via subversive techniques.

BrianM

Aug 27, 2009, 09:59 AM #44 Last Edit: Aug 27, 2009, 11:14 AM by BrianM
Pethron knew that Dirnhael's plan had merit, but he was concerned about sending the two warriors after Methilir without someone to temper their anger. It could result in a disaster far worse than the current situation.

"I do not need to remain here. As long as Durgil is housed in a safe location, we must rely on the court to proceed according to the law. Despite the circumstantial evidence against Durgil, and it is indeed just that, he is still a respected member of the court and will be treated as such until trial. Indeed, that trial may rely upon information we gather back at his estate. So my place is with you, to record what evidence I can so that it may be properly used by the court.

Give me one hour to ensure that Durgil is safe for now, then all three of us should ride together."

As quickly as he could, Pethron made inquiries about their accused companion to ensure he was properly housed and that proceedings would continue within the laws of the kingdom. He also stopped by his master's house to inform Azgar of what had happened. Azgar would use his contacts to learn what he could, and if necessary send a message to Pethron.

Throughout his errands, Pethron could not stop thinking of the terrible vision he had received at Durgil's estate. The murder he "felt" would happen had indeed come to pass. The scribe dearly hoped it was the last.