• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 07:15 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Wins and Lossess

Started by tomcat, Dec 23, 2008, 08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut

Jan 06, 2009, 06:18 AM #15 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009, 06:20 AM by Cut
Kex tries to catch up with his friends and sees the Droid and their new female friends talking and then changing their clothing. When he arrives he asks "Caden! Could you please take a look at my blaster wound? Just make sure it's not bleeding too badly or doing anything worse, will ya."   

[OOC: Isn't there something like the catching of a Second Wind to regain some lost hit points, or was that only in the D&D 4E ruleset?!
If there is something like that in Saga (which I am pretty sure of, but have no book with me right now) I would like Kex to catch it if he can, you know :-) ]

tomcat

[OOC:] Hey Nico, yes you did say that earlier, didn't you? I adjusted Kex's hit points for taking his second wind.

For all players, like in my LOTR games, any ability that may be used once per game session, may be used once per in-game day.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Cut

[OOC: Sorry, Tomcat. That might be true. I havea lot on my mind lately. Thanks for adjusting Kex's HP. Once per game-day sounds about fair. But I thought, what worth is waiting for. That was a major hit, wasn't it...? ;) Thanks for the quick heads up!]

sdrotar

Jan 06, 2009, 02:23 PM #18 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009, 02:25 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: Cut on Jan 06, 2009, 06:18 AM
Kex tries to catch up with his friends and sees the Droid and their new female friends talking and then changing their clothing. When he arrives he asks "Caden! Could you please take a look at my blaster wound? Just make sure it's not bleeding too badly or doing anything worse, will ya."   

[OOC: Isn't there something like the catching of a Second Wind to regain some lost hit points, or was that only in the D&D 4E ruleset?!
If there is something like that in Saga (which I am pretty sure of, but have no book with me right now) I would like Kex to catch it if he can, you know :-) ]

OOC: A couple questions; one game-mechanics related and one Star Wars oriented. First, do I need a medpac to treat him or can I make a bandage out of a shirt sleeve or something?

Second, is that necessary? In the game book, First Aid is used to treat unconscious (or worse off) characters.

I was of the understanding, based on only movie-watching (haven't read a SW book since the early 80s), that the heat of blasters, lightsabers and other Star Wars energy-based weapons cauterized on impact - that's why Luke's arm didn't bleed when his hand got lopped off by Vader, and why uncounted numbers of Imperials fell over with smoking smudges on their chests. I've always thought, that while painful - and often instantly fatal - SW energy-weapon wounds don't cause bleeding or other secondary damage... unless they got infected or something later on, of course.

But I had assumed that if Caden and Kex could grin and bear it, they'd be able to function well enough - so long as they didn't get in another scrap, where it would obviously affect them.

My plan was for Caden to head to the bar and buy a couple shots of something strong for himself and for Kex to take the edge off instead. ;)
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

watanabe2k

OOC:

It's an interesting point.  If you read the novels and so forth, lightsabers always cauterize woulds... however sometimes it seems blasters are more messy, which just seems strange, as they are both high energy weapon.

tomcat

[OOC:] Those are good questions Shawn. I am not sure how to answer. In Star Trek, the weapons have settings that you choose to fire them on and some are more powerful than others. I think that is true in Star Wars, too, but there is no model of that in the mechanics. Weapons do a certain damage rating there is no instant kill (or vaprorization).

So, what do we see in the movies. Blasters hit Stormtroopers and kill them, and the energy appears to burn into the armor. Does it burn a hole through them? Does their armor at least cause the blast energy to only partially penetrate? If no armor, does it burn through? Is there a burst type blast? If a hero takes a wound, is it a superficial burn, unless it kills completely? Does it burn into the PC and remove important tissue, organs or bone?

See, a lot of this is more narration device. Finally, to get to your question of treating said wounds - again for mechanics purpose, you use a med-pac and they gain back said number of hit points, but for story - what's it mean? The PC was just burnt? The rules keep it very simple - the PC is not dead, so all you need to worry about is making a successful roll and they gain back a portion of hit points and the character goes on to fight with no hindrance.

That is why I do not like the condition track and hit points in the game, but that is another issue. I'd have to work through some House Rules to get into more detail on this stuff, and I am not invested enough into Star Wars yet., to do that.  ;D

So, to finish, yes, you need a medpac to treat an injury - per the rulebook. But, Kex is not hindered by any mechanics that I see, he is just in danger of being killed easier if a new combat breaks out.

With Kara and Sam finished exchanging their clothes, the group followed Caden into the small cantina. The flashing sign outside its door declared the name Skully's.

Caden entered with no apparent notice and he strode to the bar. He leaned heavily forward, pulling open his shirt as he did to take a closer inspection of the blaster wound. A small divet of muscle and tissue was clearly burnt away, and the surrounding skin was red and blackened from the hit. He would need a med-pac to ease the wound, but for now the swift shot he ordered would suffice. Kex came up next to him, and though a bit pale, he was still on his feet. He took the drink that was sitting there and quickly downed it.

The two friends looked around to see if there was any sign of the young woman.

Kara kept pace with her new compaions, but followed a few steps behind. She was intrigued still as to who they were and what this was all about. She also was interested to see what would happen when the droid's presence became more apparent - the Bakurans were not big fans of any form of AI.

Sam walked into the tavern and all heads turned towards him, jaws slightly going slack. Talk ended and only the music could be heard that pumped through the speaker system above. The bartender looked a bit unsure, "Er... you are not welcome here! Get out now or I will have to call the authorities!"

The droid looked about himself and quickly realized that it was he who was being addressed.

[OOC:] You guys can give me a Perception roll DC 15
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 11, 2009, 06:14 PM
[OOC:]
So, to finish, yes, you need a medpac to treat an injury - per the rulebook. But, Kex is not hindered by any mechanics that I see, he is just in danger of being killed easier if a new combat breaks out.

OOC: That's how I interpreted it, too. Thanks for the explanation!

Caden thought this might happen. It wasn't uncommon; some of it was bias, but mostly, bartenders chased droids out because they'd never buy a drink, anyway.

"Sorry, Sam," Caden said with a frown. "Guess you'll have to wait outside... maybe go for a walk around the, uh, neighborhood. Get a lay of the land and look for any new... hotspots."

If the person they were looking for was in here, he probably wouldn't want to be found. If Caden were in his place, he'd have a back door that he'd stay close to - might be nice if their target did the same, and found Sam waiting for him.

Perception check: Roll(1d20)+9:7,+9 Total:16

tomcat

Suddenly the commlink in Caden's pocket chimes,  "Caden, we have something... we need to meet. Where would you like to?"

[OOC:] This is from Matt in the Farlain Tower thread.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 12, 2009, 04:48 PM
Suddenly the commlink in Caden's pocket chimes,  "Caden, we have something... we need to meet. Where would you like to?"

[OOC:] This is from Matt in the Farlain Tower thread.

Finding a quiet corner of the bar, Caden responded, telling Dan their story and where they were... and what they were after.

"We're at a dive called Skully's," he said. Noticing that a few pairs of eyes had turned his way when he had pulled out his comlink, Caden tried to look relaxed and spoke the last part far louder: "Yeah - good times down here. We're just getting started for the night; c'mon and join us for a couple-a drinks!"

Cut

[OOC: Just Great! Wanted to roll my perception skill roll, not having a printed out character sheet at hand, I have to rely on Profiler, which is right now doing an upgrade. I have to be away from my computer (long day of learning at univerity lessons). So, Tomcat, could you please just roll this one for me to keep the story rolling? Thank you!]

watanabe2k

Kara walked in and immediately felt at home.  Heading towards the bar she smiled and looked around the room, and plopped herself down on the stool as if she was a regular.

"Give me, whatever you got." She said to the bartender with a wink, glancing around the room as she waited for her drink.

OOC:

Perception roll:
8+ 19(d20 roll) = 27

And if we want to discuss house rules, I'd be happy to help starting friday when my prelim is done.

tomcat

Jan 13, 2009, 01:18 PM #26 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2009, 01:20 PM by tomcat
Caden sipped another drink as he made discussion with Dan, all the while scanning the tavern. In the haze of smoke and dim lights, his eyes finally fell on the petite figure of Neja. She was wedged into a booth between two large figures that were laughing over two large mugs. He could see that she was nervous, her own eyes searching Skully's common room for any threat. He was glad they had just met and she did not yet know what they all looked like - and who would have remembered anything with blasters flaring? Still, Caden thought Sam might become a flag on this planet, if droids were so disliked.

For Kara it was a lot easier. She had spent a lot more time on Bakura and knew what to look for, so to speak. She was handed her drink and she looked right to the dimly lit corner booths. The girl was curled up with apparent friends, hoping that she would be either missed by a pursuer, or those friends would stave off any attempts to grab her. The question was, what would they do now? Kara saw the droid leave, and she was stuck with two wounded spacefarers. Not good odds by any Corellian's judgement.

Sam strode back onto the street, his sensors taking in all the data around him. A large crowd still milled about and there were sounds close by of security personnel. The droid ignored all impertinant information and began to assess the building, seeing if there were any other exits.

[OOC:] Actions - and/or - dialogue

Don, Sam can walk the building and will take in the following: One main entrance, a back and side door, and the main front window are all exits. You may also give me a Perception test DC 20

watanabe2k

Kara grabbed her mug and walked by the new group of "friends" that she had just made.  She looked for the closest empty booth near the Neja and her friends.  Hopefully Neja wouldn't remember her from the shootout, and would pay more attention to the two wounded men.  In this, Kara tried to act like a local who came to this place often for a drink.

OOC:

Deception check?

sdrotar

Caden wasn't sure who Kara was yet, and he wasn't the trusting type, but he had to admit that she helped save their bacon back there in the street.

He watched as she moved closer to Neja, hoping that she'd stay on their side. The adrenalin rush had worn off after the fight, and Caden began to realize how much his blaster wound stung.

"They're not going anywhere right now, at least," he thought. For the meantime, as long as Neja stayed in the bar, Caden was content to keep scanning the faces of the patrons while Dan and Brim made their way over here and Sam scouted the outside.

He looked over to Kex and took another draw from his glass, thankful that the bartender knew how to make a stiff drink.

donimator

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
[OOC:] Actions - and/or - dialogue

Don, Sam can walk the building and will take in the following: One main entrance, a back and side door, and the main front window are all exits. You may also give me a Perception test DC 20

Perception +9
1d20+9... (7)+9 = 16 failed