• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 08:52 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Round 1 - The battle for Barad Eldanar

Started by tomcat, Mar 15, 2005, 04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 15, 2005, 04:56 PM Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008, 11:32 AM by tomcat
:arrow: OOC:

The beginning narrative is a compilation of your previous posts to set the scene:

Not one to lead from behind, Durgil was the first up the vines on the far side of the tower. Daelhun would bring up the rear and carry the horn for this group. "By the Valar, don't fail me now," Durgil whispered to himself.

Behind the Dúnadan, Daelhun and the others followed. They had crept the distance to the moat, making sure to stay close to the cover that the broken ground allowed. Once they had realized that they were clear of any observers, they crossed over the ice and to the wall of the castle. Each member of the infiltrating band selected a section of the ivy to climb and began the ascent. The old vines cracked and snapped in places but they never gave way and soon the men were slipping over the top of the wall; as each climbed over, they readied their weapons laying arrow to bow.

Nain snuck through the grasses of the field in front of the castle with all of the stealth he could muster. His size helped but he hadn't had occasion to sneak anywhere in more years than most of his companions had been alive, so he wasn't all that adept. Still, he managed too at least keep from grumbling under this breath and that helped.

To either side of him scurried his new friends - Edrahil, Lûnduf and the few other warriors that accompanied them. Before them all rode Dirnhael and Fengel. The elf gave a click with his mouth, as he watched Durgil and his men mount the ramparts above. That was the signal... the horsemen rode forward towards the old bridge that crossed the moat.

Fengel rode with his captain towards the castle and could feel his blood pumping with the thought of combat and taking the keep. He unconsciously touched the pommel of his sword and ran his fingers over the feathers of his arrows, as if to remind himself that they were still there. He itched to have this over.

Dirnhael pulled his 'borrowed' hood down low across his brow. The enemy apparently knew his name - did they know his face, as well? "No matter," he thought. This ruse would only work momentarily, and then Andúring would have its say.

He could see that the rest of the party was deftly moving into place - they were as ready as they were going to be.

Locking eyes with Fengel for a moment, he knew the stalwart Éothraim was ready to go to battle at his side yet again, and the knowledge of that comforted him. This was their chance - they must not fail!

The horse's hooves clopped onto the wooden bridge and echoed in the breezy night drawing the attention of the wardens of the gates. From above, a voice called out, "Riders approaching!"

Dirnhael and Fengel could see movement above, from the torchlight, and then notice more as a few weary looking guards came out of the shadows at the gates themselves. At first the guards looked cautious but Dirnhael could see them relax in their stance as they apparently recognized him and Fengel. It appeared that their deceit was having the desired effect.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

The following is the current situation:

Durgil and his men can see 2 guards to their right about 30 yards (see map- the little line represents 45' on the picture). Dirnhael and Fengel have 3 guards in front of them and two above them in the tower roosts.

PM: Dim Lighting -3 to all tests; your enemy is either a 3 or 5 HIT** kill, you will know when I tell you, their Defence is 11.

SM: Edrahil is Winded -1, Daelhun is Winded -1

Initiatives:

Durgil- 13
Easterling Guards- 12*
Daelhun- 12
Dirnhael- 10
Edrahil- 10
Dunedain Warriors- 9
Fengel- 6
Nain- 6
Lunduf-

* Although I rolled so well, the Company have the advantage of their ambush... but, only those within missile or melee range may attack in ambush. After which the Easterlings will be then aware and may go in their initiative order - combat will then proceed by initiative rank for the rest of the round. Make sense?

** Carl, to emphasize the heroics of LOTR (i.e. Aragorn sweeping through a crowd of orcs and coming out with but a scratch), the game has an optional mechanic that you can use. Instead of having standard hit points for the NPC's bad guys, I can just designate a number of hits that they can take before they are dead (i.e. 3, 5, etc.) - meaning a hit from a weapon. I also use the following penalties for the enemy when they are hit:

1 HIT: -3 to all tests
2 HIT: -5 to all tests
3 HIT: Dead

-or-

1 HIT: -1 to all tests
2 HIT: -3 to all tests
3 HIT: -5 to all tests
4 HIT: -7 to all tests
5 HIT: Dead

Any questions, you guys can let me know. I need Mike and Matt's initiative rools. Go ahead and post but remember your initiative order. Also remeber at the end of your post to add next Round's initiative roll.

Thanks
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: I guess you missed my edit unless I need to roll again...

Initiative - (6+5)+2=13
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Mar 16, 2005, 06:06 AM #3 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008, 11:32 AM by tomcat
I did miss it Matt... thanks! Great Roll too!!  :D

You and your men may all make the first actions against those that you can see - there are 2 as mentioned above and far off to the east side of the castle you can just barely see another guard in a tower turret.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil silently directs his men into position to take out the two in the closest tower, 2 on each, while he and Daelhun kept an eye out and bow (and horn) ready for others below and beyond who might spot them.  Durgil waits to give the signal until: Dirnhael's group horn sounds, they espy trouble, his group is spotted, or the gates open to let the riders in.

OOC: Can we see over the top of the keep? the other guards in the turrets at the gates, etc.?  Also, are you rolling the attacks by our NPC bowmen and scout?
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: GandalFOfBorgOOC: Can we see over the top of the keep? the other guards in the turrets at the gates, etc.?  Also, are you rolling the attacks by our NPC bowmen and scout?

The central building is 3 stories and blocks the view of the gatehouse and bridge, although you can see the main doors and they are already open. In fact, with closer observation, Dirnhael and Fengel see they are damaged and one hangs from only one hinging. You can see the turrets above on the castle walls and the guards within.

I will roll your NPC attacks so you guys do not have to worry about all of the housekeeping, just give me direction by your orders. This will work good because though they are NPC's, they are still independent characters and will do what they do, interpreting your orders as they would... make sense? So for your first command, I have the scout and four warriors aiming in on the two guards to the west side of the castle (closest to you guys) and they are holding fire until signaled by what they see at the doors. Correct?

By the way, the castles length runs west to east with the gates facing south.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Ok, great thanks.  Ignore the option about the gates being open then.  Yes, those are the orders.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

"You are back sooner than expected, Mäelor. Did all go well?" Dirnhael heard and saw a large set-man looking at him and directing the question at him as he rode up to the gates. "Will Sakalure be sending aid?"

The other Easterling warriors milled about their apparent commander and above the men returned to their watch. Fengel and Dirnhael would not have the opportunity much longer to make a quick strike. The Captain of the Host out of Arthedain began thinking rapidly at what his next move would be.

Behind the small inner keep, along the back wall of the castle sat a stone structure. Durgil and his raiders stood on the parapets of the back wall looking towards the west at the watchtower before them, but then heard below some mumbled talking. The Dunadan looked down to see a group of ten men leaving the structure and walking south towards the main gatehouse. "A guard barracks?" he thought. "Was this a change in shift or were these men just going to join their fellows?"

Durgil did not know how many Dirnhael and his men faced, but these additional warriors would not make it easier for his commander.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: This is what I'd call the definition of "trouble."

Durgil gives the signal to strike.  "Give the horn one blast," the young Dunadan says, fires upon the closest in the group below, and draws another arrow (OOC: please let me know if I need to roll for this).

RC: Bow (Longbow) - (6+6+4)+8+2-3=23
Gwaithlim Weapons

Wiseman

Seeing the group of armed men come out of the building was bothersome to say the least, their swords would be all too effective in this battle and Daelhun had hoped for more of a silent and suprise strike than this, but now was not the time to lament on their misfortune.

Pulling the horn to his mouth he sounded it one time, the grumble of the horn screaming through the night, piercing the shadows and warning the rest of the company of the situation, as best they could.

Daelhun then concentrated on firing an arrow at the guard per his commander's instruction.  Drawing back the bow string he let loose a feathered arrow, intent on seeking its target.  

Ranged Combat: Roll(2d6)+6: 6,4,+6, -4 Total:12

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat"You are back sooner than expected, Mäelor. Did all go well?" Dirnhael heard and saw a large set-man looking at him and directing the question at him as he rode up to the gates. "Will Sakalure be sending aid?"

The other Easterling warriors milled about their apparent commander and above the men returned to their watch. Fengel and Dirnhael would not have the opportunity much longer to make a quick strike. The Captain of the Host out of Arthedain began thinking rapidly at what his next move would be.

Behind the small inner keep, along the back wall of the castle sat a stone structure. Durgil and his raiders stood on the parapets of the back wall looking towards the west at the watchtower before them, but then heard below some mumbled talking. The Dunadan looked down to see a group of ten men leaving the structure and walking south towards the main gatehouse. "A guard barracks?" he thought. "Was this a change in shift or were these men just going to join their fellows?"

Durgil did not know how many Dirnhael and his men faced, but these additional warriors would not make it easier for his commander.

To the Easterling's query, Dirnhael responded with a curt nod and a gruff "soon".
Keeping his head low, Dirnhael's hand moved ever-so-slightly toward Anduring's hilt, all the while hoping that at this very moment, Durgil and his men were catching the rear guard unawares.

Then he heard the horn, and his blood ran cold.

The next sound that pierced the night was the lingering chime of Anduring flashing it's long, cold steel as Dirnhael tore the blade from it's scabbard.

:arrow: Action 1: Attack nearest Easterling (Anduring drawn with Quick-draw edge).
AC (Longsword) +13, Warwise +1, Anduring Bonus +2 = +16
Roll(2d6)+16:4,1,+16 Total:21
Damage: Roll(2d6)+8:6,1,+8 Total:15

:arrow: Action 2: Attack same Easterling (or next closest if he is defeated).
Roll(2d6)+16:4,5,+16 Total:25
Damage: Roll(2d6)+8:2,6,+8 Total:16

:arrow: Action 3 (using Swift Strike edge): Attack same Easterling (or next closest if he is defeated).
Roll(2d6)+16:5,1,+16 Total:22
Roll(2d6)+8:4,1,+8 Total:13

As his first strokes fell, he heard Fengel spring into action, and the wild war cries of the fell dwarves charging behind them.
The battle for Barad Eldanar was thus joined, and whether songs would be sung or their names lost to time would be determined in the next few moments under the pale, fading moon.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

As the sound of the horn pierces the night and the sword Anduring it loosed upon the easterlings Nain leaps from his hiding place, axe at the ready and charges into the fray.  With a whoop he crosses the bridge and attacks the first easterling that he comes to.

Actions:
Move (Run)
Roll (2d6) 2,4+4=10

Attack
Roll (2d6) 4,2+6=12
Damage (2d6) 6,2+9=17

Lunduf

Init +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,2,+2 Total:7

Actions 1 and 2 charge on enemy
Ac 12 +2(Ba spec) +1 (charge) + 2 (charge spec)= +17
Roll(2d6)+17: 3,4,+17 Total:24

Action 3 (swift strike) on same target if not down yet.
Ac 12 +2 (Ba spec) = +14
Roll(2d6)+14: 3,4,+14 Total:21

Saves swift strike 2 till later.

Rushes out from behind his cover and Bellows a Dwarven War scream while driving his axe into the side of an enemy.

cbl62

At the sound of the horn and watching his captain initiate the attack, Fengel felt his battle blood rise and issued a war cry. He quickly fell in beside Dirnhael and attacked the warrior to the right of the gate.

Actions 1 and 2 (charging enemy with sword drawn)
AC(LS) +11, warwise +1 = +12
Roll(2d6)+12: 6,2,+12 Total:20
Damage 2D6+8 (if success) = Roll(2d6)+8: 5,3,+8 Total:16

Action 3 (using Swift Stike) attacks same again if not fallen or "SW" NPC if allowed
AC(LS) +11, warwise +1 = +12
Roll(2d6)+12: 4,3,+12 Total:19

:arrow: OOC: Doug, hope I'm okay here and not too klunky (first combat ya know). Let me know if I've made a mistake.

Also sorry for posting delays = laptop down for a while at work, but now have fully repaired PC at home!!

tomcat

Mar 19, 2005, 06:46 AM #14 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008, 11:33 AM by tomcat
Quote from: cbl62Action 1 Draw Weapon (Requires an Action unless you have the Edge Quick Draw)

Action 2 (charging* enemy with sword drawn)
AC(LS) +11, Specialty +2 = +13
Roll(2d6)+13: 6,2,+13 Total:21
Damage 2D6+8 (if success) = Roll(2d6)+8: 5,3,+8 Total:16
*This is not considered the Attack Maneuver Charge

Action 3 (using Swift Stike) attacks same again if not fallen or "SW" NPC if allowed
AC(LS) +11, Specialty +2 = +13
Roll(2d6)+13: 4,3,+13
Total:20

Hey Carl,

First I want to say, great job at your first combat post... it is pretty much dead on, but there are a couple things I want to point out:

-When I put together Fengel's sheet**, I already included your bonuses from your Edges (Warwise +1), Racial bonuses (N/A), Order Bonuses (N/A), Weapon Bonuses (+1), and any other Misc. bonuses (N/A). That is the +2 under Misc on your sheet. The only bonus I do not include on any of the character's sheet is the +2 Specialty bonus you gain for using your specialized skills (i.e. Longsword, Spot, etc.). So, Fengel has a +11 to AC total but when he uses his Longsword you may add the +2 specialty for +13 to AC. Cool? I corrected your post above. Any questions gimme a shout...

-Lastly, whenever there are a great number of NPC attackers, I do not track their Hit Points - they are just classified as a # of HIT NPC. This is an optional rule the LOTR allows for cinematic effects, which allows for scenes like in the book where Aragorn was able to sweep through numerous enemy and come out relatively unscathed. It also cuts down on the amount of accounting I have to do!!  :D  So, I assign a # of HIT's to the bad guys and when you make an unparried attack, the DOS will determine the number of HIT's you cause:

Any Failure is a failure
Marginal or Complete Success causes 1 HIT (Roll = TN or 1-5 Above TN)
Superior Success causes 2 HITS (Roll = 6-10 above TN)
Extraordinary Success causes 3 HITS (Roll = 11+ above TN)

So you do not need to roll Damage rolls for these guys, only I will when they hit you. I will always let you guys know if the monsters/bad guys are regular Hit Point attackers or fast combat attackers.

**This applies to all character sheets on the boards... all of your Misc. Bonuses should account for what I mentioned with regards to Fengel. The only bonus not included is the +2 Specialty bonus to your skills. I do this because there may be times that you do not use that particular specialty.

Let me know if you guys have any questions... I will be following with another post a little later today.

- Doug