• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 12:38 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Solo Ride

Started by tomcat, Oct 17, 2007, 07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Oct 17, 2007, 07:39 AM Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007, 07:43 AM by tomcat
Galudir mounted atop the tall horse and nodded at Nain's remark and then spurred the animal. Edrahil's steed reacted quickly to the prompting and the rogue felt the rush of air go through his hair as they dashed down the city's cobbled streets. Townsfolk watched, and some cursed the  speed at which they passed, but no one interfered with their departure.

Soon, man and horse found themselves rushing down the dirt road that led south out of Ilanin and into the Donu valley, where Thuidmar and the host of the Éothraim lay in wait.

[OOC:] Travel tests

Nikitas, I am going to need a series of tests from you to determine how long it takes you to get to the fort Thergas, based on your endurance:

• It is just under 25 leagues (75 miles) between Ilanin and Thergas
  • Overland Travel: Rather than making many Stamina tests over time intervals, one roll is made with the TN of the test equaling the number of miles traveled (i.e. 20 miles = TN 20). Apply modifiers for Pace (Walk -2, Jog/Trot +0, Run +2, Sprint/Gallop +4), Terrain (easy ground -2, average ground +0, rough ground +2, very rough ground +4), and if any Beasts of Burden are used to make the travel (i.e. riding a horse) +5, +3, +1, or +0 to Stamina Test based on pace. Degree of success determines the number of Weariness levels suffered: 3 on a disastrous failure, 2 on a complete failure, 1 on a failure, 0 on any success. Also, if a Disastrous failure is rolled, the character must stop there and then, too exhausted to keep going for that day. Roll 2d6 and subtract it from the TN to determine how many miles were actually covered before the character needed to stop.
  • Penalties and existing Wound/Weariness penalties are cumulative
  • Considered Demanding on the Weariness Rate table 9.38 CRB, so you will need 30 minutes of rest for each point of Overland Travel TN you make when you do stop (i.e. TN 20 is 600 minutes or 10 hours), this reflects how hard you push yourself
  • Proper period of rest will restore all Weariness penalty based on the next bullet.
  • Sleeping in the Rough: A character recovers Weariness from the previous day normally, but upon waking after sleeping in the rough he must make a Stamina test at TN 5, plus modifiers for the following conditions: sleeping on the ground without bedding (+5), insufficient or interrupted sleep (+5), not sufficiently protected against cold, wind, or rain (+5), insufficient food or water (+5), sleeping in leather armor (+5) or in mail armor (+10).  On any success, the character does not suffer additional Weariness; on a failure the character suffers 1 level of Weariness (2 levels on a disastrous failure).
  • When you have achieved a aggregate TN 75 total of success in weariness tests, you will have made it to Thergas. We will interpret the number of days based on how often you had to stop and rest. I am not going to require tests from the horse - it will be assumed that she can take more than her rider.
  • Any questions, give me a shout

Here is a sample of the first test - Galudir is going to try to push through 15 miles, so:

TN 15 +2 for pace (Run) +0 terrain (average ground) for a total of 17

Galudir's Stamina test would be:
Stamina +2, Tireless +4, Riding a horse +1 = +7

If successful, the mileage would be covered and at the pace it would have taken just over 3 hours based on the travel charts in the CRB. If failed, both man and animal is wearied, although we will only worry about the level of your character.

I think that is everything and that should cover the mechanics on your hasty travel.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

Sorry about the late reply, I've been all kinds of busy lately. Hopefully I won't slow anyone down.

Travel Test (TN 17):
2d6=6.3
Stamina +2, Tireless +4, Horse +1
9+2+4+1= 16 Failure

So, does that mean that Galudir made the 15 miles but lost a weariness level doing so?

tomcat

[OOC:] Sorry about my delay too!  ;)

What your roll means is Galudir pushed his horse for 15 miles and is now at Winded -1 and it took him just about 3 hours (that makes it about 12 noon). You have 60 more miles to go. So, Galudir can stop here and rest for the 7.5 hours necessary to recover the weariness level, or push on and try to cover more miles... doing this will require more tests and require more hours rest (i.e. going another 15 miles requires (15 hours rest) - remember these requirements are inclusive of both you and the horse.

If he decides to camp, you will make a Stamina test against the Sleeping in the Rough rules - if successful, you remove the Wearinss penalty.

Weariness penalty applies to all tests.

The point in all of this is to mainly measure the time it takes Galudir to get to Thergas... I could throw in a random encounter though, so be careful.  >:D

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

Alright, just to get the rolls out of the way for now. Galudir will try to make 10 more miles at a slower pace (trot) and then make camp.

Travel Test (TN 10):
2d6=6,2
Stamina +2, Tireless +4, Horse +1,
8+2+4+1-1= 14 Success

tomcat

Galudir rode through the morning and into the afternoon, alternating the pace of the ride from a trot to a run. They covered just over eight leagues in five hours before the rogue decided to stop and make camp to rest himself and Edrahil's horse. He was well aware that pressing their stamina to its maximum would serve no one - especially he and his horse!

The rogue settled against a large rock and chewed on a piece of dried meat. He was amazed at how his legs ached - and he could still feel the vibration of the horse's tromping hooves.

Back in Ilanin, the companions were again dealing with the threat of Koskas!

[OOC:] I need Galudir to make his Sleep in the Rough test.

Nikitas

Should I assume all the conditions you listed apply?

tomcat

[OOC:]  For the sleeping in the Rough test, just make a TN 12 Stamina test and apply the same failure results as listed above.

Do me a favor and just roll the whole series of tests - travel tests / than resting tests until you reach the total of 75 in in travel tests. So far, Galudir has cover 25 miles and has 50 left to go - so you could just mimic the tests you have done.

Again, I only really need to see the results here so I can see how fast Galudir gets word to Thuidmar.

Nikitas

Oct 29, 2007, 10:31 PM #7 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007, 10:38 PM by Nikitas
My mistake, I misunderstood earlier and I thought you wanted to do this step by step.

Resting (TN 12):
2d6=5,2
Stamina +2, Courage +3
7+2+3= 12 Success

15 hours of rest, so I suppose Galudir starts early in the morning on Day 2, sticking with a jog/trot pace.

Travel Test (TN 20):
2d6=5,4
Stamina +2, Tireless +4, Horse +3
9+2+4+3= 18 Failure

20 miles in 4 hours, continuing on for the rest of the day at a slower pace.

Travel Test (TN 13):
2d6=3,3
Stamina +2, Tireless +4, Horse +5, Winded -1
6+2+4+5-1= 16 Success

15 miles in 4.5 hours, I assume it's after midday about now so Galudir will rest for about 18 hours and wake up early in the morning on day 3.

Resting (TN 12):
2d6=3,2
Stamina +2
5+2= 7 Failure

I take this to mean that Galudir stays at Winded w/ 15 miles to go and he will foolishly try to run the rest of the way  ;D

Travel Test (TN 17):
2d6=3,5
Stamina +2, Tireless +4, Horse +1, Winded -1
8+2+4+1-1= 14 Failure

I figure that it took about 2 hours to make this last bit of the journey though Galudir is now Tired, my best guess is that he arrives at Thergas early on the 3rd morning.  Let me know if everything checks out and if it does I can write up a narrative post on it.

Doesn't seem though that Galudir did that trip too quickly, I think he was only about half-a-day faster than the party when they first travelled to Ilanin. Since that second rest didn't change anything status-wise, could I drop it assume that Galudir ran through the night and made it to Thergas on the evening of Day 2?

tomcat

[OOC:] Excellent Nikitas! Yea, that is cool about your evening of 2nd day arrival... Give me your narrative/dialogue and I will then give you some new stuff to work with!  ;D

Nikitas

Galudir awoke on the second day of his travels rested but deeply concerned. He made little more than 8 leagues in the previous day's travel, and twice that distance lay ahead of him on the road to Thergas. The rogue saddled the elven steed and prepared for a difficult day. Running his hand through the horse's mane, Galudir informed the horse of the marathon ahead, "Listen here horse, we are going to reach Thergas before the sun sets today or else all the overbred, lady, elven horses will the think the less of you. Now go!". The pace was a trot to a walk for most of the day but the gently rolling countryside past quickly enough. Once Galudir was within 4 leagues of Thergas he pushed the horse to a near gallop and rode hard into the fort, not stopping until he reached the keep.

tomcat

Nov 01, 2007, 04:23 PM #10 Last Edit: Nov 01, 2007, 04:30 PM by tomcat
"Rider! Rider! Rider approaches!" were the cries that greeted Galudir as he rode up into the Dinvuld hills and to the keep of Thergas. "T'is a messenger for the King!"

The rogue quickly dismounted, as a man came up to take panting horse's bridle, and after a quick drink of water from an offered cup, asked for the whereabouts of Thuidmar. The Éothraim warrior looked Galudir up and down and recognition filled his eyes as he remembered the spies that the king had sent north. "Come," he said and the two strode off towards the fortification's small inner keep, a crowd gathering behind them as they went.

The doors opened into the hall and there sat Thuidmar and a few of his council. Maps and small carved blocks of wood, each with an identifying flag, were ignored as the men laughed and dined on a large spit of pig. The Éothraim's high chieftain looked in the direction of those entering his chamber and he held up his hand - silence fell upon the table, opening the floor for Galudir to speak.

Nikitas

"King Thuidmar, lords of the Eothraim" Galudir paused, not uncertain as to who all the men in the room were, "... and all the rest of you. Harizan is moving his forces across the Carnen river and is preparing to ride you down. My company has stayed in Ilanin to attempt to rally the people. But know this, Harizan has made league with such evil that will break the spirits of your men and scatter your army to the winds."

tomcat

"Get this man food and drink!" shouted Thuidmar.

The high cheiftain rose to come around the long table and come before Galudir, "Do the Easterlings rally for war? Or do they still sit and grow fat upon the wealth of this land?"

[OOC:] Remember that you are essentially two days ahead in this thread, so pose your responses with the understanding that you do not know what is going on in Ilanin since your departure. Thanks!

Nikitas

Galudir took his seat and eargerly awaited the refreshment, but he dared not delay giving the king his report. "No doubt the Easterlings have soften some, enjoying the easy prey of Ilanin. But they do prepare for war, I saw them gather at the shore of the Carnen." The rogue found a mug of some brew in front of him, he took a deep draught before continuing. "If the people of Ilanin do not resist, then the Easterlings will likely have assembled by the time your men reach Ilanin."

tomcat

Thuidmar listened intently to Galudir.

When the rogue had finished his report the Éothraim chieftain spoke, "Get rest and eat and drink your fill. I thnk you for your efforts for my people." He then spoke to his cohorts, "PREPARE YOUR MEN! WE RIDE WITH THE NEW DAY'S SUN! We will meet this Easterling murderer, whether it is on the shores of the Carnen or on the plains south of Ilanin... and we will bury him there!"