• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 07:12 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Host of the Éothraim

Started by tomcat, Jun 07, 2007, 05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 07, 2007, 05:30 AM Last Edit: Jun 07, 2007, 05:37 AM by tomcat
Fengel opened his eyes to a blood-red sky.

The early morning sun was on the rise and the whicker of the horses caused the man to stir. He looked around as he sat up and saw that his companions still slept save the sentry that sat atop the highest prominence of the Three Tears. He stood, stretched, and then saw about the fire - stoking it up to a good blaze again for the morning breakfast.

Again the horses whickered and the Éothraim could sense they were nervous. Fengel looked out towards the plain to the north to see if there was anything there that may be spooking the animals, but saw nothing. The warrior gave a hushed call to the sentry above but the man made no response. That was not the case of his other companions; his fellows stirred from sleep at his quiet shout.

"What is it?" asked Edrahil, the Elf stirring from the strange sleep of their folk. Fengel shook his head due to his lack of knowledge and picked up Cerduil - the sword still within its scabbard. He began to quickly climb the hill, as Edrahil stood, coming to the top at a run.

The sentry sat quiet, his legs crossed under him, but he did not move. The Éothraim could see immediately by the man's shade of color that he no longer lived. Still, he sat hunched there in an unnatural stance for death. Fengel came close to the body and saw a ghastly symbol had been carved into his chest by either a crude blade, or a nasty claw - the dead man's blood stained his tunic and torso.

Below in the camp, the other party members began to rise to see what was going on and all watched the top of the hill as Fengel reeled back from the sentry. Unheard by his companions, a voice emanated from the dead man's slack mouth. "We will come for you..." it hissed and then was quiet.

OOC: Actions - and/or Dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

OOC: Ah man, you can't be killing what few warriors I've got and then freaking me out with eerie stuff like that!  :'(

IC: Fengel's eyes grew wide as the strange voice drifted off with the wind.  He'd never heard or saw anything like that before and was a little unnerved.  By instinct he drew Cerduil from its scabbard and spun around surveying the area.  He then turned back to the dead sentry and gave him a careful prod with his sword, before stooping beside the man for a closer look.  Satisfied that nothing unusual remained, he sheathed his sword and picked up the man's body, carrying him back to the camp.

"I've never heard anything like it," he started, "a foul and strange voice came from within this man warning that they would come for us.  Apparently the werewolf came back in the night.  I fear we are dealing with things much more terrible then we know."

GandalfOfBorg

Concerned by his friend's reaction, Durgil grabbed his blade and bow, ready for a fight if one should come.  When Fengel returned, he wasn't put at ease.

"All the more reason to press our advantage.  The enemy is weak with grave wounds and has lost many of his men.  It's time to end this reign of terror."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Edrahil stepped up and looked at the arcane mark on the man's chest, "It would seem that Koskas is an accomplished sorcerer, as well as a stealthy creature of the night."

Gareth interjected, changing the subject, "Our Sagath prisoner is also dead... he bled out in the night."

"It is unfortunate, but Nain's attack had been lethal." The Sindar continued, "I agree with Durgil, we must press the advantage while our foe is recoiling from their first loss. We must get back to the fortress of Thergas to see if there has been any answer to the call for aid."

Gareth and Edrahil both looked to Fengel.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dirnhael was unnerved for a moment; the beast had returned, but did not choose to attack them as they slept.
He nodded at Edrahil's words - he had wounded the creature, and if he did not have strength to regroup, they may be able to defeat him.
But even that would be but a fleeting victory if their tactic had failed and help was not on it's way soon; they could not hold off the coming storm forever...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

"Then let us make haste for Thergas and see what hope lies there."  Fengel packed up his gear then mounted Heostor.  He took the reins of two of the other horses that carried his fallen kin.

Nikitas

"Sorcerors, werewolves," Galudir spoke up as he saddled his horse and prepared to ride out. "Dead bodies that speak. There is something unnatural about this land. Unnatural and cursed." There was something unnatural and cursed about this band as well, the rogue mused, for in the course of a few months he has met the likes of ghosts, trolls, werewolves, dwarves, elves, and sorcerors. "Truly Fengel, I mean no offense to you or your kin. But if your lands were in this state when you left it is a mystery and marvel that you have chosen to return."

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil chuckled somewhat darkly in response to Galudir's words.  "There are times that it seems as if we do tread the steps of myth and legend.  But no one did, where would those stories come from?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: Before the Company gets on the road, Edrahil will tend to those who need his healing skills:

Healing tests: Healing +9, Specialty +2, Injured-3

Dirnhael TN 10
Roll(2d6)+8: 3,1,+8 Total:12 COMPLETE SUCCESS - heals Health score in points(9) +1 for DOS = 10

Fengel TN 5
Roll(2d6)+8: 6,5,+8 Total:19 EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS - heals Health score in points (14) +3 for DOS = 17 - FULLY HEALED

Nain TN 5
Roll(2d6)+8: 1,4,+8 Total:13 SUPERIOR SUCCESS - heals Health score in points (17) +2 for DOS = 19 FULLY HEALED

The Company rode quickly as the morning sun rose and swept the crimson from the sky, turning it to a powder blue. Large, pillowy white and gray clouds were clustered to the west over the Dinvuld Hills giving sign of some turbulent weather on the way, and so they pressed on hard to beat the rain.

The hills slowly loomed closer as the hours passed and no new threat revealed itself to waylay the riders. The Company approached to the same rocky path that led up to the fortress above. Again they were challenged by a sentry, but Gareth easily recognized the woman and so they continued up. The excitement of the young female guard betrayed the news she contained and upon cresting the cliff the Company was enheartened by the sight. Along the crenelated wall and the earthen ramparts of Thergas stood a reinforced garrison of some hundred men - Thuidmar had come at last!

Fengel led his fellow warriors around the keep and rode through the gates, the horses quickly retrieved by young stable-hands - boys to young to fight, but still able to serve the fortress. The activity within was far greater than the first night that they had arrived and there was much in the way of shouted commands and ordered work. The Éothraim estimated a total of two-hundred and fifty plus of his kinsmen had answered the call and been sent by Thuidmar.

Dismounted, the Company strode into the large structure that made the command hall of Thergas and were pleased to see the main table draped with a large map and men of rank seeing about troop placement. Fengel wondered if his peoples' high cheiftain had come himself and if so, what was his plan.

Palandil

Quote from: Nikitas on Jun 08, 2007, 09:34 AM
"Truly Fengel, I mean no offense to you or your kin. But if your lands were in this state when you left it is a mystery and marvel that you have chosen to return."

Fengel turned to the companies newest friend, "None taken.  However these are not the lands that fill my memories.  And nor have I seen the likes of such things.  Never the less, we shall be legends when we take the head of a werewolf!"  His last statement was lifted up as a challenge, to which the other Eothraim warriors gave a war cry.

tomcat

Jun 13, 2007, 08:15 PM #10 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2007, 05:45 AM by tomcat
After his ordeal with Koskas the night before, Edrahil excused himself from the hall, "Dirnhael, I am going to take this opportunity to find a quiet place to rest - get me if need arises."

Dirnahel nodded to the Elf as he slipped back out into the bustle of the compound. The rest of the companions milled about, following Fengel's lead. A large cup of spiced wine was handed to each of the men and they graciously accepted. It was then that Fengel was approached by a young, long-haired blonde warrior - his hair weaved into an elaborate pony tail, "You are Fengel? Your presence is requested in the commander's private chamber."

Signaling his friends to follow, Fengel let the warrior lead them into a quiet room where sat a fit man, though his face was lined with many summers. He looked up as the Company entered his chamber, "So... you are Fengel? The man who defied the commander of this keep and led a host of his soldiers away?"

Tension rose in the room as each of the friends wondered where the conversation was leading, "I am Thuidmar, High Cheiftain of the Ailgartha, and I guess a thanks to you is in order. Though it be a disgrace, Eorlas has been removed from his command here and a new leader shall be put in his place. Perhaps he will find his honour once more on the field of battle... but for now, I am acting ruler of this keep.

"Tell me of what you know of our Enemy - their numbers and movements."

sdrotar

Jun 15, 2007, 02:30 AM #11 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2007, 02:33 AM by sdrotar
Dirnhael nodded to Edrahil, wishing for a moment that he too could rest for a bit - his side had improved, but it still pained him more than he let on.

When they met the Chieftain, Dirnhael allowed himself to be relieved for a moment; their gambit had worked. As for Eorlas and the inner workings of the keep, Dirnhael cared little - talk of class and politics did not concern him. Actions had always spoken far louder than words, though he feared that when he eventually returned to fair Ioreth and Fornost, he would have to learn to adjust, for there would likely be more of one and much less of the other.

Perhaps, he thought, that's why the responsibilities of leadership had come to him, despite the fact that he had never sought them for himself.
He dismissed the thought quickly; right or wrong, such soul-searching would need to wait for a brighter, longer day.

Palandil

Fengel was glad to see the chieftain of his clan, he knew now that the Sagath would pay for what they have done.  Bowing slightly Fengel addressed his leader, "Well met lord Thuidmar.  I am pleased that we were able to reach you finally.  I'm sure you know already what has transpired in these lands.  So I will give a report of our exploits against the invaders.  We were able to gather that the Sagath had pulled most of their army back across the river, leaving only about 35 men and 10 wargs.  Twice we were able to set an ambush against them, and so their numbers have dwindled greatly.  I believe there are only 11 men and 3 wargs left.  Unfortunately their leader escaped.  And he is no natural man, he is a werewolf and a sorcerer.  I believe he has retreated back over the river near Ilanin to gather more forces from his master, Harizan.  They had a camp east of the Dinvuld hills near were the Carnen and Donu meet.  There some of our people were held captive."

tomcat

Thuidmar listened to Fengel's account and then spoke, his jawline tightening as he did, "The camp you speak of is empty. The captives held there were left for the sun and the vultures to ravage their dead bodies. I am told it was the most horrific scene... throats cut or torn out!"

Durgil felt his heart sink at the chieftain's words, remembering the sad woman that was visible that night in the firelight. He prayed that she was now at peace.

Thuidmar continued, "From news here in Thergas of your scouting of the camp, I had dispatched a cavalry of one-hundred wariors two days past to sack their base - our riders returned with the grim news. I still await the return of thirty plus men who were assigned to stay behind and inter the bodies."

sdrotar

Jun 15, 2007, 09:01 AM #14 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2007, 04:07 AM by sdrotar
The pain in Dirnhael's side vanished at the word of Koskas' brutality.
If only he had been a bit faster, the deaths might had been avoided.
Then again, if Thermon had been a bit slower, he might have killed, as well.

There would be a next time, he thought, and Dirnhael vowed to make certain the the wolf would not slip through his grasp again.