• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 03:33 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Off the beaten path

Started by tomcat, Apr 03, 2007, 09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Apr 03, 2007, 09:42 AM Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007, 09:46 AM by tomcat
The Muskaloosa was an earth freighter that was over twenty years old, and she was no longer maintained in any database due to her being reported destroyed twelve years ago while moving supplies along the Romulan frontier; in truth, she had been captured by the Romulans.

Though she was getting up in age, her new 'owners' had re-built her internally and had made some improvements enough to be a useful tool, but not to draw attention. For all intents and purposes, she was a non-intersting Federation freighter with appropriate, albeit useless, markings, and she still was used in merchant capacities to far, off the beaten path locations. The kind of ship that would never raise an eyebrow of concern, and thus, crewed by a mostly unsavory sort of people, she still plied the spaceways of the United Federation of Planets.

Today the Muskaloosa came with an important errand - one that would hopefully throw two of her peoples' enemies into war, thus weakening both. The key figure in this errand was Korvona. She was a delegate of the Romulan Senate and had come personally with the message that the countdown had begun - the Chak-ruth would have their distraction. With it, hopefully the whole of the Klingon Empire would be thrown into a conflict that would decimate it through infighting and going against their opponent (whom the Romulans considered much superior). When all was done, the Federation would not have the strength, nor likely the political will, to stave off her own people from increasing their claims.

"Delegate Korvona, we are picking up the beacon from the Argonaut," said one of her bridge crew.

"Good... begin transmission," Korvona replied with a smile.

Not far away, the Columbia began to detect both the beacon and the two ships' rendezvous. At yellow alert, the light cruiser slipped closer to the old merchants approaching on a course that allowed the radiation of Acamar to hide it even more. Townshend pushed the button that brought the image of the two ships on screen and held her ear piece as they began to communicate - the Columbia recording every bit of the coded messages.

On screen, the bridge could see two merchant vessels - normal in every way.

OOC: Still waiting for that Sys Ops test from Townshend from the previous thread. Also, remember... the interlude stuff is for story, you can't act off of anything that is not immediately apparent to the bridge crew.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

OOC: Stonn relieves Marshal at the science station, and Ramos scrambles to Engineering as the Yellow Alert is sounded.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 03, 2007, 09:42 AM
OOC: ..Also, remember... the interlude stuff is for story, you can't act off of anything that is not immediately apparent to the bridge crew.
OOC: Maybe not use it, but sure is fun to read :)

"Any translation so far of the communications?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: Hey you guys,

What am I not giving you to carry on this story - where is the breakdown? Or do we just want to bag this? It's okay with me either way, although I do enjoy story-telling in this genre.

If you do want to keep rolling here, let me know what is causing the hang-ups. I have no problem steering the story a bit more via narrative and dialogue, but I do not want to take away from your opportunity to RP and drive things.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 12, 2007, 04:53 AM
OOC: Hey you guys,

What am I not giving you to carry on this story - where is the breakdown? Or do we just want to bag this? It's okay with me either way, although I do enjoy story-telling in this genre.

If you do want to keep rolling here, let me know what is causing the hang-ups. I have no problem steering the story a bit more via narrative and dialogue, but I do not want to take away from your opportunity to RP and drive things.

Doug

I'd like to keep going. I think it's a bit trickier here, though. I'm not sure players can be as proactive...
Generally, we might have a plan, but we have to check sensors/do medical tests/fix something before we know if our plan is even feasible, and due to the tech, a lot more of the story has a "wait for info" angle.
It's just the genre.

I guess the next step is that Stonn would scan the ships, I guess? Then we'd wait to see what you said he saw, and then we'd go from there. In this case, it seems as if the players are more reactive then proactive in most cases by necessity, but others might have a better idea, too...

tomcat

Apr 15, 2007, 11:14 AM #5 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2007, 11:15 AM by tomcat
Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 14, 2007, 10:37 AMI'd like to keep going.

I think it's a bit trickier here, though. I'm not sure players can be as proactive...

Generally, we might have a plan, but we have to check sensors/do medical tests/fix something before we know if our plan is even feasible, and due to the tech, a lot more of the story has a "wait for info" angle. It's just the genre.

I guess the next step is that Stonn would scan the ships, I guess? Then we'd wait to see what you said he saw, and then we'd go from there. In this case, it seems as if the players are more reactive then proactive in most cases by necessity, but others might have a better idea, too...

OOC: Then we shall keep the story rolling!  ;)

But in regards to the points you make above about reactive game play, I do not agree. Even if you do not know what something is, or what will happen, it doesn't mean your characters need to wait until I feed the information for them to do something.

Our situation in point, a couple of merchant freighters that bear the same warp signature as before re-appear within range of the Columbia. Even though Stonn, or Townshend, or Grahm has no idea about intentions or who they are, as players you guys can give me reactions of your characters based on what you want them to do...

Narrator: Two freighters appear on the sensors bearing the same warp signature as before
Science Officer player:I commence a scan of the ships and make the skill roll
Tactical Officer: I am energizing weapons and will wait for the captain's order to attain a lock, if merited
Comm Officer: Captain, would you like me to hail the ships?

All these things could be posted (with appropriate rolls) and I can build the story and thus give Stonn what he finds out, or other characters can chime in - i.e. Captain Darkan - "No, Townshend, maintain radio silence."

I just do not want to give narrative stating what Stonn is doing and only ask you for the dice roll - this makes it where I am driving your characters.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 15, 2007, 11:14 AM
Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 14, 2007, 10:37 AMI'd like to keep going.

I think it's a bit trickier here, though. I'm not sure players can be as proactive...

Generally, we might have a plan, but we have to check sensors/do medical tests/fix something before we know if our plan is even feasible, and due to the tech, a lot more of the story has a "wait for info" angle. It's just the genre.

OOC: Then we shall keep the story rolling!  ;)

But in regards to the points you make above about reactive game play, I do not agree. Even if you do not know what something is, or what will happen, it doesn't mean your characters need to wait until I feed the information for them to do something.

Our situation in point, a couple of merchant freighters that bear the same warp signature as before re-appear within range of the Columbia. Even though Stonn, or Townshend, or Grahm has no idea about intentions or who they are, as players you guys can give me reactions of your characters based on what you want them to do...

Narrator: Two freighters appear on the sensors bearing the same warp signature as before
Science Officer player:I commence a scan of the ships and make the skill roll
Tactical Officer: I am energizing weapons and will wait for the captain's order to attain a lock, if merited
Comm Officer: Captain, would you like me to hail the ships?

All these things could be posted (with appropriate rolls) and I can build the story and thus give Stonn what he finds out, or other characters can chime in - i.e. Captain Darkan - "No, Townshend, maintain radio silence."

I just do not want to give narrative stating what Stonn is doing and only ask you for the dice roll - this makes it where I am driving your characters.

That's reasonable. I'll try to keep it in mind.

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 09, 2007, 11:34 AM"Any translation so far of the communications?"

Townshend looked towards her captain and shook her head, "Nothing yet sir, but the trasnlation should be quicker than last time. It seems that the code has been changed again... they have changed the calculus..."

Townshend's voice faded off as she worked on her task before her. From across the bridge, Grahm called out, "Captain, at yellow alert we have weapon-stations manned, but they have not yet been energized. Do you want to advance to Red Alert?"

Behind all, Stonn worked emphatically at trying to ascertain as much information as he could with the passive arrays: Darkan would have to give the order for them to go active.

The Columbia continued to glide towards the freighters and would soon be within range of the lesser ships' sensors.

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

sdrotar

"Captain, if we raise shields, the vessels will know that we think they are hostile. Perhaps risking an active scan first would be beneficial. The stations are manned - it will only take a moment to raise shields and charge weapons if the need arises."

GandalfOfBorg

Reference:
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 02, 2007, 08:09 AM"Agreed," and the klaxon sounds at Stonn's order.  "Put them on visual once in range.  Helm, maintain speed but put us on course towards some stellar phenomenon; let's make it look like we're actually doing scientific research.  See what we can find out more about them,  but don't perform standard active scanning until they get to 1 million kilometers."

-----

"We will remain at Yellow unless the situation demands a change." Darkan's voice had a bit of an edge to it.  He didn't mean to be, but everyone else was too and that didn't help him remain calm.  At that moment he noticed that he was standing, even nervously pacing a little, so he took a seat in the Captain's Chair to get himself under control.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Edrahil / Tam

OOC: Sys Ops (Comm) test TN 15
System Ops +9, Specialty +2 = +11
Roll(2d6)+11: 5,6,+11 Total:22 vs TN 15 = Superior Success

Jess suddenly looked up triumphantly from her terminal, as the transmission suddenly started to stream across her display, at least intelligable to her. "Sir, I've got it! Transmission reads, 'blahblahgarbeldygook'!" [OOC: Umm... well, I don't know what it reads, really... maybe Tomcat should fill this part in for me? ;-)]

Meanwhile in Sick Bay, Dr. Tam was quickly organizing his staff and getting ready to receive casualties. These drills were getting pretty routine at this point, with the number of times during this mission they've gone to yellow alert. Still, it made his blood pump everytime it happened, and it was always best to be prepared. After waiting 5 minutes to ensure it wasn't a false alarm, his curiousity finally got the best of him. "Tam to Bridge, what's going on up there?"

tomcat

Jess pushed a button and allowed the ship's computer to translate the strange code into words in its metallic, female voice, "Chak-ruth has GO. Commencement T-20. Chak-ruth to draw back its vessels beyond engagement zone. Once engaged, Fed-vessel will make indiscriminant attacks along border. We will await word of the second phase on Qo'nos."

On the Muskaloosa, the sensor operator kept a close eye on the screens in front of her. They had chosen Acamar as the second meeting due to the radiation blanket that it emitted, but the distortion worked both ways. She fine tuned her scans as the Romulan delegate transmitted her instructions.

Muskaloosa Sensor Operator Sys Ops (Sensors) TN 20
Sys Ops +7, Specialty +2 = +9
Roll(2d6)+9: 2,6,+9 Total:17 FAILED

Stonn watched his board as the freighters emissions brushed across the Columbia. The spikes he read were close enough for them to grab a signature of the masked Federation ship. The closer they got, the easier it would be for the mysterious merchant vessels.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 19, 2007, 06:30 PM
Stonn watched his board as the freighters emissions brushed across the Columbia. The spikes he read were close enough for them to grab a signature of the masked Federation ship. The closer they got, the easier it would be for the mysterious merchant vessels.

"Captain," the science officer said, "the freighter's last scans were thorough, and from that range, I think it likely that they have ascertained that the Columbia is a Starfleet vessel."

tomcat

OOC: Actually Shawn, the freighter didn't detect the Columbia - the test was failed.

GandalfOfBorg

"Hmmm... are we now able to identify these vessels?  Even if not, use available parameters and correlate against our databases.  The appearance of these vessels is becoming more and more suspicious," mused Darkan.  "Mr. Stonn, review the latest intel Starfleet has on this sector in Romulan space for key leadership in the military or security that might be behind a plot like this -- I want a better idea of who we're dealing with."
Gwaithlim Weapons